Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whats with the hate against pro team kits?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Whats with the hate against pro team kits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 01:09 PM
Ebuzz
Old and in the way

Bikes: Pinarillo Paris - Ciocc - Viner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
So you want a wave, nod or thumbs up from people who pass you?
No, that's not exactly what I meant. The same holds true for those heading in the opposite direction. I was trying to make a point only. (And I think it was fairly obvious.)

Last edited by Ebuzz; 08-06-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 01:21 PM
Sidney Porter

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ebuzz
No, that's not exactly what I meant. The same holds true for those heading in the opposite direction. I was trying to make a point only. (And I think it was fairly obvious.)
I run on a one mile loop MUP. So on a typical run I may see the same person going the opposite way 2 to 4 times. Do I need to wave every time or just the first?
Old 08-06-13, 01:25 PM
Ebuzz
Old and in the way

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
I run on a one mile loop MUP. So on a typical run I may see the same person going the opposite way 2 to 4 times. Do I need to wave every time or just the first?
Now you are just being ridiculous! I think the point is valid. Don't beat it to death with exceptions. enuf said.
Old 08-06-13, 01:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Now you are just being ridiculous! I think the point is valid. Don't beat it to death with exceptions. enuf said.
Well . . . . you're no fun . . .

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-06-13, 01:28 PM
Ebuzz
Old and in the way

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Well . . . . you're no fun . . .
LOL, sure I am. But you can't argue that there are a great many cycling snobs out there. I guess that was my only issue. I don't expect a wave as you're flying down a hill, but at other times, it would be nice to acknowledge our mutual interest, that's all.
Old 08-06-13, 01:31 PM
mrodtoo

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Le Tour, 2009.5 DownTube 8H, 2011 Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I think I understand this. Call it insecurity, or whatever you want, but it is one thing to get dropped on a group ride, another to get dropped on a group ride while wearing replica pro kit.
I agree.
Just yesterday I got dropped by a slow moving freight train. Good thing I wasn't wearing a pro kit. Personally, I'm not good enough to wear a pro kit. Pro sports are like politics, it's full of corruption, etc. How could anyone be proud to support the tainted ones?
Old 08-06-13, 01:31 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
by the way, I like the Grisman Garcia reference.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-06-13, 01:42 PM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has expressed this sentiment in this thread because I didn't bother to read the 7 pages of drivel that precede my post, but let’s get real here. I’d bet that 99 44/100% of people here don’t make a nickel riding bikes and do it simply for the joy and love of the sport. So who gives a S*#T what we wear. Give me a break with that “those people didn’t earn the right to wear that jersey” crap! That’s BS!! If you like it, and think it’s cool, wear it. The same goes for all those cycling snobs who blow past me on the road and don’t bother to give a head nod, a wave or even a thumbs-up! We are all here because we love the sport ... why can’t we all just get along? Some of us need to get over our case of the "for-reals." Just MHO
+1
Old 08-06-13, 01:43 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodtoo
I agree.
Just yesterday I got dropped by a slow moving freight train. Good thing I wasn't wearing a pro kit. Personally, I'm not good enough to wear a pro kit. Pro sports are like politics, it's full of corruption, etc. How could anyone be proud to support the tainted ones?
There is that, too. So many options these days as far as jerseys and shorts.
Old 08-06-13, 01:48 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear any Lance Armstrong gear because all of the teams he was on, have ugly kits. I am a fan of the guy!

I am in the process of buying a Pink T-mobile Telekom kit that Jan Ullrich wore!
Old 08-06-13, 01:51 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
I don't wear any Lance Armstrong gear because all of the teams he was on, have ugly kits. I am a fan of the guy!

I am in the process of buying a Pink T-mobile Telekom kit that Jan Ullrich wore!
Ullrich, really? Or are you just trolling? Chacun a son gout, as they say.
Old 08-06-13, 02:31 PM
nadimk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because there are certain rules regarding cycling etiquette, what to wear and how to wear it. Next to sleeveless jerseys (men) and not wearing socks, pro team kit is one of the worst infractions, for many reasons, many of which have been mentioned here. What happens when the team folds? Unless you have the complete kit down to the socks and helmet, do you really want to be only partially outfitted? If you MUST wear it, make sure it is perfectly matched and fits spot on, race tight. When the team folds, sell it or throw it away. For further information, please consult: https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Old 08-06-13, 02:56 PM
Sidney Porter

You want ridiculous? I am going to swim laps later today. I will probably end up sharing a lane. Do I wave only at the wall or do I need to wave in the middle of the lane?
Old 08-06-13, 03:01 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikerjp
unless maybe it was FDJ or something but I don't like their kits
Them's fighting words, sonny. Let's meet at high noon - I'll be the one wearing FDJ kit from helmet to socks. Oh yeah, I might be a little late because I ride slow
Old 08-06-13, 03:03 PM
Sidney Porter

Originally Posted by nadimk
pro team kit is one of the worst infractions, https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
It actually sounds like a questionable infraction rather than one of the worst.
Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.
Old 08-06-13, 03:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Ullrich, really? Or are you just trolling? Chacun a son gout, as they say.
He's a troll... look at his threads.
Old 08-06-13, 03:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidney Porter
You want ridiculous? I am going to swim laps later today. I will probably end up sharing a lane. Do I wave only at the wall or do I need to wave in the middle of the lane?
I swam laps this morning. Including a 1,000yd time trial in the middle of it. If you're good, by the way, you can manage to low-five your lanemate as you swim past each other. Work on that.
Old 08-06-13, 03:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Merlin, sure you are entitled to that opinion, but just the opposite could be argued. Wearing the WC jersey could be in tribute to the real winner. In fact that is exactly what it is. It would be one thing if replica jerseys weren't sold for the benefit of the teams they represent and individuals were cobbling them together in their basement. But the real winners are saying, "Please wear my jersey and pay me for the privilege of doing it." Where is the need for respect. And really as it has been said ad nauseum, it would be one thing to wear a WC or yellow jersey in a sanctioned race where what you wear is supposed to mean something. But on your Saturday exercise ride, no one is misunderstanding that. To worry about it is just foolishness.
Agreed!
Old 08-06-13, 03:17 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.... How could anyone be proud to support the tainted ones?
As Bryan Ferry says at 0:43....."taint no big thing..."

Old 08-06-13, 03:26 PM
nadimk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, indeed. I think if the fit is good and the rest of the kit including bike are in line with the rules, it's okay.
Old 08-06-13, 11:09 PM
BigJeff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hyhuu
At 4 years old, you have or earned the right to wear your underwear on the outside.
Now that I'm all grown up I go outside wearing lycra underwear (with shoulder straps and a sewn in maxi pad)

Instead of calling on a house phone, I text "wanna go ride bikes" to friends... and we all dress up like EPO Superheros and ride all over the place.
Old 08-07-13, 06:06 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I agree.

Dude, never buy used bibs, that's just gross.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-07-13, 06:44 AM
ovoleg