Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

It's the "what is the rider doing wrong?" thread, again

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

It's the "what is the rider doing wrong?" thread, again

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 07:23 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
It is true that the only time I ever get close passes is when I'm far right. And I generally think to myself "my fault, I was in the wrong position."
It's so hard to get over the habit of hugging that edge.

Good luck to both of us!
Old 05-15-17, 07:46 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
When I ride as far right in the lane as you are in this video I find it invites close passes exactly like that.

Riding just left of center practically eliminates them.

At least that's my experience.

There are places where it's appropriate to share lanes; other places it's best to use the full lane. Pick one, and be clear about your choice. If you don't want cars sharing the lane with you, then don't ride in a position that invites them to share the lane with you. Right?
Not right or wrong, just too simplistic.

Not sending the wrong message to responsible motorists doesn't address the issue of irresponsible, distracted, or hostile drivers. It's dangerous to consider lane position a reliable solution when it's only one of many viable options for an endless variety of situations.
Old 05-16-17, 08:20 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,072 Times in 533 Posts
When I ride as far right in the lane as you are in this video I find it invites close passes exactly like that.

Riding just left of center practically eliminates them.

At least that's my experience.

There are places where it's appropriate to share lanes; other places it's best to use the full lane. Pick one, and be clear about your choice. If you don't want cars sharing the lane with you, then don't ride in a position that invites them to share the lane with you. Right?
LOL! That driver was getting as close to me as he could, no matter where I put the bike in the lane. There are no obstructions to the driver moving to the left lane. That is why I have labelled this a punish pass. The only time that taking the lane blocks a tight pass is when the driver is obstructed from forcing the pass.

The issues in the video are two-fold:
Non-existent bike-infra on this bridge.
A person driving with a hateful lack of respect for a person using a bike on the road & using a 2-ton vehicle to intimate a person.
So the correct answer to "what is the rider doing wrong"... it's "nothing." But I do thank you for playing the "what is the rider doing wrong" game. To be blunt, anybody that honestly comes to A&S for advice, they will throw their bike in the nearest dumpster and never ride again.
Old 05-16-17, 08:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

It's so hard to get over the habit of hugging that edge.

Good luck to both of us!
"hugging the edge"??? Am I missing something? Did you actually watch this video? There's roughly 6 ft to the curb... hugging the right would be in that silly shoulder space that ends in the merge lane from the highway exit. Which, ironically, an early post suggested I should ride in that "bike lane".
Old 05-16-17, 05:37 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
"hugging the edge"??? Am I missing something? Did you actually watch this video? There's roughly 6 ft to the curb... hugging the right would be in that silly shoulder space that ends in the merge lane from the highway exit. Which, ironically, an early post suggested I should ride in that "bike lane".
Yes. hugging the edge. The edge of the lane.

That lane is too narrow for side-by-side car-bike travel within the lane, so the cyclist has two choices: use the full lane or relinquish the lane (by riding on the shoulder). Pick one. Riding at the lane edge is neither here nor there, and is confusing. What do you want the motorists to do? Do you want them in the lane with you or not? If you're clear about it, with your lane position, then they'll do what you want. If you're wishy-washy about it, they're likely to get annoyed, frustrated or even angry. They're unlikely to do what you want. At least that's my experience.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 05-16-17 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 05:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts

That lane is too naorrow for side-by-side travel with the lane, so the cyclist has two choices: use the full lane or relinquish the lane (by riding on the shoulder). Pick one. Riding at the lane edge is neither here nor there, and is confusing. What do you want the motorists to do? Do you want them in the lane with you or not? If you're clear about it, with your lane position, then they'll do what you want. If you're wishy-washy about it, they're likely to get annoyed, frustrated or even angry. They're unlikely to do what you want. At least that's my experience.
Toads lane position didn't seem "wishy-washy" to me, and he certainly wasn't hugging the edge. He didn't do anything wrong, the motorist did.

Sometimes going even farther left can be seen as antagonistic, or in some situations, encourage an unsafe pass on the right. I'll go far left in some situations, but likely not this one.
Old 05-16-17, 06:45 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Toads lane position didn't seem "wishy-washy" to me, and he certainly wasn't hugging the edge. He didn't do anything wrong, the motorist did.

Sometimes going even farther left can be seen as antagonistic, or in some situations, encourage an unsafe pass on the right. I'll go far left in some situations, but likely not this one.
You're right. It's not that wishy-washy. He's indicating fairly clearly that he is inviting motorists to share the lane with him.
Old 05-16-17, 08:53 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
You're right. It's not that wishy-washy. He's indicating fairly clearly that he is inviting motorists to share the lane with him.
Pure BS.
Old 05-16-17, 09:15 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Absolutely 100% correct.
Old 05-16-17, 09:38 PM
kickstart

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Hypno Toad did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time, there was no ambiguity in his position to a responsible motorist, only a challenge to an irresponsible one.
Responsible motorists don't need to be hit in the head to take the clue. Irresponsible motorists aren't going to take the clue, and no lane position, or technique will change that.

Last edited by kickstart; 05-16-17 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 09:57 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Liked 368 Times in 274 Posts
Those lanes are NOT narrow. The first half of the video, I would be riding ON the divider line every single time there and thru the verge part. I don't care whether both lanes are empty or not. The cars have the choice to cross in front or behind me. I also listen to hear where the cars are to wiggle left or right of the line a bit. Close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades. ha
Old 05-17-17, 07:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

That lane is too narrow for side-by-side car-bike travel within the lane, so the cyclist has two choices: use the full lane or relinquish the lane (by riding on the shoulder). Pick one. Riding at the lane edge is neither here nor there, and is confusing. What do you want the motorists to do? Do you want them in the lane with you or not? If you're clear about it, with your lane position, then they'll do what you want. If you're wishy-washy about it, they're likely to get annoyed, frustrated or even angry. They're unlikely to do what you want. At least that's my experience.
You must be watching a different video.
Old 05-17-17, 08:31 AM
kickstart

You must be watching a different video.
That's the problem with "I am traffic", "cycling savvy" theologies, they encourage placing technique above all else. An ardent follower won't see what's actually transpiring, they will just see what does or doesn't fit their dogma.

Not being in the left tire track at all times doesn't equal inviting close passes, or "gutter hugging".
Old 05-17-17, 08:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by kickstart
that's the problem with "i am traffic", "cycling savvy" theologies, they encourage placing technique above all else. An ardent follower won't see what's actually transpiring, they will just see what does or doesn't fit their dogma.

Not being in the left tire track at all times doesn't equal inviting close passes, or "gutter hugging".
+1
Old 05-17-17, 12:20 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Hypno Toad did nothing wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time, there was no ambiguity in his position to a responsible motorist, only a challenge to an irresponsible one.
Responsible motorists don't need to be hit in the head to take the clue. Irresponsible motorists aren't going to take the clue, and no lane position, or technique will change that.
My experience experimenting with various lane positions indicates otherwise. That is, when I use lane position to give them a clue, the irresponsible motorists practically disappear.
Old 05-17-17, 01:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

My experience experimenting with various lane positions indicates otherwise. That is, when I use lane position to give them a clue, the irresponsible motorists practically disappear.
You must live in a magical land. In Minneapolis, moving my bike 18" to the left wouldn't change that person's behavior. The person in the white car has nothing but room to make a safe pass (there are exactly two vehicles on a wide road), that driver made a choice to be dangerously close to a person on a bike. There is no way to control a hateful person.

Maybe someday I can riding the roads of Shangri-La with you.
Old 05-17-17, 01:06 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
You must live in a magical land. In Minneapolis, moving my bike 18" to the left wouldn't change that person's behavior. The person in the white car has nothing but room to make a safe pass (there are exactly two vehicles on a wide road), that driver made a choice to be dangerously close to a person on a bike. There is no way to control a hateful person.

pssst... notice how he said "practically disappear..." That means there are still crazies in his world too.
Old 05-17-17, 01:38 PM
kickstart

Originally Posted by genec
pssst... notice how he said "practically disappear..." That means there are still crazies in his world too.
I continue to experiment with lane position every day, and don't intend to stop because every position will always be an experiment as I can't read, and control minds. Until then I will continue to use my judgment and intuition based on what I observe at any given moment to decide where from the center line to the sidewalk I will ride.

Lane position can bring one to an ah-ha moment if they haven't used it before, but given time and wisdom, one will learn it isn't a miraculous answer to all problems.

Last edited by kickstart; 05-17-17 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-17-17, 02:12 PM
genec
genec

I continue to experiment with lane position every day, and don't intend to stop because every position will always be an experiment as I can't read, and control minds. Until then I will continue to use my judgment and intuition based on what I observe at any given moment to decide where from the center line to the sidewalk I will ride.

Lane position can bring one to an ah-ha moment if they haven't used it before, but given time and wisdom, one will learn it isn't a miraculous answer to all problems.
Exactly... it helps "preserve" your right to the road... but those drivers who feel cyclists "don't belong" are going to violate those rights regardless. Fortunately those drivers are few.
Old 05-17-17, 04:55 PM
kickstart

Originally Posted by genec
Exactly... it helps "preserve" your right to the road... but those drivers who feel cyclists "don't belong" are going to violate those rights regardless. Fortunately those drivers are few.
Actually, I'm just interested in "preserving" my rear- end.
Old 05-17-17, 09:19 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
That's the problem with "I am traffic", "cycling savvy" theologies, they encourage placing technique above all else. An ardent follower won't see what's actually transpiring, they will just see what does or doesn't fit their dogma.
I don't see the traffic courses mentioned to be a problem at all. They are just another tool to add to ones box. One of the better tools, I might add.

I don't know or see many "ardent followers" do you? Why won't they see what's actually transpiring? (on the road)

I often wonder why there is so much disdain from some on this board for such a small group.
Old 05-17-17, 10:09 PM
kickstart

I don't see the traffic courses mentioned to be a problem at all. They are just another tool to add to ones box. One of the better tools, I might add.

I don't know or see many "ardent followers" do you? Why won't they see what's actually transpiring? (on the road)

I often wonder why there is so much disdain from some on this board for such a small group.
Most of the theories of the courses are reasonably valid options in their time and place, it's just that they push it too far with the assertion that one should do what they profess to be the "correct" at all times.

I don't know anybody who actually rides like that, and rarely see evidence of it in the real world. Mostly what I object to is those few on BF and elsewhere who promote such ideals as universal, and reject out of hand valid alternatives such as shoulders, bike lanes, FRAP, and sidewalks as inherently flawed. One can't adhere to theory against their intuition as sometimes suggested, and be pragmatic at the same time.

Personally I disdain any individual or organization that presumes to tell someone how they should ride without knowing them, their abilities, environment, and a myriad of other variables as if they have all the answers, with the presumption everything will be ok if they do.

I think those courses are a good thing if they give someone the confidence to not limit themselves to the margins, but feel it's irresponsible to pretend what they teach is a panacea.

Someone once told me, "a tool is just a tool, and a whole box full won't make one a master mechanic if they don't use their brain too"

Last edited by kickstart; 05-17-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 01:43 PM
genec
genec

Actually, I'm just interested in "preserving" my rear- end.
I think you are in the right place with post 197. https://www.bikeforums.net/19591597-post197.html

Frankly I have long held to the "use what is there" philosophy. Road shoulders have been used by me on several long distance tours...

Last edited by genec; 05-18-17 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 12:48 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Communicative and cooperative clear lane positioning is no panacea, to be sure, but I think it is miraculous because of how simply, greatly and counter-intuitively it reduces conflict while cycling in traffic.

The particular technique that I've found most useful is what CyclingSavvy calls "control and release". This basically means using the full lane by default, but also moving aside to "release" when safe and appropriate. It does not mean riding down the middle of the lane totally oblivious to what's going on behind you.

Here's a description on Facebook (logon is not required):

www.facebook.com/CyclingSavvy.org/videos/10151847276228098/ " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
www.facebook.com/CyclingSavvy.org/videos/10151847276228098/ " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 05-24-17, 01:35 PM
kickstart

Communicative and cooperative clear lane positioning is no panacea, to be sure, but I think it is miraculous because of how simply, greatly and counter-intuitively it reduces conflict while cycling in traffic.

The particular technique that I've found most useful is what CyclingSavvy calls "control and release". This basically means using the full lane by default, but also moving aside to "release" when safe and appropriate. It does not mean riding down the middle of the lane totally oblivious to what's going on behind you.

Here's a description on Facebook (logon is not required):

www.facebook.com/CyclingSavvy.org/videos/10151847276228098/
I'm aware of it, and find it to be pointless. First off it's not proper road use technique to attempt unauthorized traffic control, we're only responsible for our own actions, not those of others. Second it's unnecessary for responsible road users, likely to be ineffective for irresponsible road users, and a counterproductive provocation to hostile road users.

It may work in "Mayberry" where it's unnecessary and redundant, but it's a foolish game that won't work in most locations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.