Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 08:30 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2002: I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange. About a week later, Dr Ferrari performed an extraction of half a liter of blood to be transfused back into me during the Tour de France. Mr Armstrong was not witness to the extraction but he and I had lengthy discussions about it on our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the inconvenience of the new test. He also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

2003: After a broken hip in the winter, I flew to Gerona Spain where this time two units (half a liter each) were extracted three weeks apart. This took place in the apartment in which Mr. Armstrong lived and in which I was asked to stay and check the blood temperature every day. It was kept in a small refrigerator in the closet allong with the blood of Mr Armstrong and George Hincapie and since Mr. Armstrong was planning on being gone for a few weeks to train he asked me to stay in his place and make sure the electricity didn't turn off or something go wrong with the referigerator. Then during the Tour de France the entire team, on two different occasions went to the room that we were told and the doctor met us there to do the transfusions. During that Tour de France I personally witnessed George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, Chechu Rubiera, and myself receiving blood transfusions. Also during that Tour de France the team doctor would give my room mate, George Hincapie and I a small syringe of olive oil in which was disolved andriol, a form of ingestible testosterone on two out of three nights throughout the duration.

I was asked to ride the Vuelta a Espana that year in support of Roberto Heras and in August, between the Tour and the Vuelta, was told to take EPO to raise my hematocrit back up so more blood transfusions could be performed. I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the entry way to his building in full view of his then wife. It was Eprex by brand and it came in six pre measured syringes. I used it intravenously for several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests during the Vuelta. Also during this time it was explained to me how to use Human Growth Hormone by Johan Bruyneel and I bought what I needed from Pepe the team "trainer" who lived in Valencia along with the team doctor at that time. While training for that Vuelta I spent a good deal of time training with Matthew White and Michael Barry and shared the testosterone and EPO that we had and discussed the use thereof while training.

Again, during the Vuelta we were given Andriol and blood transfusions by the team doctor and had no problems with any testing.

2004: Again the team performed two seperate blood transfusions on me, but this time Bruyneel had become more paranoid and we did the draws by flying to Belgium and meeting at an unknown persons appartment and the blood was brought by "Duffy" who was at that time Johans assistant of sorts. The second of which was performed on the team bus on the ride from the finish of a stage to the hotel during which the driver pretended to have engine trouble and stopped on a remote mountain road for an hour or so so the entire team could have half a liter of blood added. This was the only time that I ever saw the entire team being transfused in plain view of all the other riders and bus driver. That team included Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and I as the only Americans.

2005: I had learned at this point how to do most of the transfusion technicals and other things on my own so I hired Allen Lim as my assistant to help with details and logistics. He helped Levi Leipheimer and I prepare the transfusions for Levi and I and made sure they were kept at the proper temperature. We both did two seperate transfusions that Tour however my hematocrit was too low at the start so I did my first one a few days before the start so as to not start with a deficit.

2006: Well you get the idea....... One thing of great signigicance is that I sat down with Andy Riis and explained to him what was done in the past and what was the risk I would be taking and ask for his permission which he granted in the form of funds to complete the operation described. John Lelangue was also informed by me and Andy Riis consulted with Jim Ochowitz before agreeing.

There are many many more details that I have in diaries and am in the process of writing into an intelligible story but since the position of USA Cycling is that there have not been enough details shared to justify calling USADA, I am writing as many as I can reasonably put into an email and share with you so as to ascertain what is the process which USA Cycling uses to proceed with such allegations.

Look forward to much more detail as soon as you can demonstrate that you can be trusted to do the right thing.

Floyd Landis
Old 05-20-10, 08:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by Cateye
Ok I guess the next question is do you believe him or not?
I think it's more likely than not that at least some of what Landis is saying about others is true.

Taking just Armstrong,

Landis is at least the 6th person to claim personal knowledge of Armstrong's doping.

Add in a positive "A" sample for EPO, , a postive for steroids, cleared with a back dated prescription,

an association with Michele Ferrari,

and the fact that a good number of Armstrong's principal rivals have been proven to have doped in that same era,

it starts to get pretty hard to believe there is nothing to these allegations.

Most of what Landis claims is at least consistent with the picture of professional cycling that has been painted by multiple source,and multiple positive drug tests.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 08:32 AM
charliekeri

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now all we need is Tyler friggen Hamilton to tell us he really wasn't the brother to an unborn twin....

Remember celebrity rule #1 - Any publicity is good publicity
Old 05-20-10, 08:32 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 1,133 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Classic Clintonian approach: "I didn't do it, but if it gets proven, I did it because everyone else did".

Maybe he could run for Nancyy Pelosi's seat.
If you want to blow political smoke, you're in the wrong forum. This is the last we'll be seeing of this in the thread.
Old 05-20-10, 08:33 AM
Blaireau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
2002: I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange. About a week later, Dr Ferrari performed an extraction of half a liter of blood to be transfused back into me during the Tour de France. Mr Armstrong was not witness to the extraction but he and I had lengthy discussions about it on our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the inconvenience of the new test. He also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and continued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

2003: After a broken hip in the winter, I flew to Gerona Spain where this time two units (half a liter each) were extracted three weeks apart. This took place in the apartment in which Mr. Armstrong lived and in which I was asked to stay and check the blood temperature every day. It was kept in a small refrigerator in the closet allong with the blood of Mr Armstrong and George Hincapie and since Mr. Armstrong was planning on being gone for a few weeks to train he asked me to stay in his place and make sure the electricity didn't turn off or something go wrong with the referigerator. Then during the Tour de France the entire team, on two different occasions went to the room that we were told and the doctor met us there to do the transfusions. During that Tour de France I personally witnessed George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, Chechu Rubiera, and myself receiving blood transfusions. Also during that Tour de France the team doctor would give my room mate, George Hincapie and I a small syringe of olive oil in which was disolved andriol, a form of ingestible testosterone on two out of three nights throughout the duration.

I was asked to ride the Vuelta a Espana that year in support of Roberto Heras and in August, between the Tour and the Vuelta, was told to take EPO to raise my hematocrit back up so more blood transfusions could be performed. I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the entry way to his building in full view of his then wife. It was Eprex by brand and it came in six pre measured syringes. I used it intravenously for several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests during the Vuelta. Also during this time it was explained to me how to use Human Growth Hormone by Johan Bruyneel and I bought what I needed from Pepe the team "trainer" who lived in Valencia along with the team doctor at that time. While training for that Vuelta I spent a good deal of time training with Matthew White and Michael Barry and shared the testosterone and EPO that we had and discussed the use thereof while training.

Again, during the Vuelta we were given Andriol and blood transfusions by the team doctor and had no problems with any testing.

2004: Again the team performed two seperate blood transfusions on me, but this time Bruyneel had become more paranoid and we did the draws by flying to Belgium and meeting at an unknown persons appartment and the blood was brought by "Duffy" who was at that time Johans assistant of sorts. The second of which was performed on the team bus on the ride from the finish of a stage to the hotel during which the driver pretended to have engine trouble and stopped on a remote mountain road for an hour or so so the entire team could have half a liter of blood added. This was the only time that I ever saw the entire team being transfused in plain view of all the other riders and bus driver. That team included Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and I as the only Americans.

2005: I had learned at this point how to do most of the transfusion technicals and other things on my own so I hired Allen Lim as my assistant to help with details and logistics. He helped Levi Leipheimer and I prepare the transfusions for Levi and I and made sure they were kept at the proper temperature. We both did two seperate transfusions that Tour however my hematocrit was too low at the start so I did my first one a few days before the start so as to not start with a deficit.

2006: Well you get the idea....... One thing of great signigicance is that I sat down with Andy Riis and explained to him what was done in the past and what was the risk I would be taking and ask for his permission which he granted in the form of funds to complete the operation described. John Lelangue was also informed by me and Andy Riis consulted with Jim Ochowitz before agreeing.

There are many many more details that I have in diaries and am in the process of writing into an intelligible story but since the position of USA Cycling is that there have not been enough details shared to justify calling USADA, I am writing as many as I can reasonably put into an email and share with you so as to ascertain what is the process which USA Cycling uses to proceed with such allegations.

Look forward to much more detail as soon as you can demonstrate that you can be trusted to do the right thing.

Floyd Landis
Where did you get this?!
Old 05-20-10, 08:34 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No surprises here. Those that believe Lance dopes still believe, those that don't still don't. Nothing short of a positive test will change it.
Old 05-20-10, 08:34 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
And of course, this would have had credibility had Landis made these pronouncements immediately after his TdF positive test. The sad thing is that despite the yawning credibility gap here, I still believe it. Doping sucks in sports. But once you inject millions and millions of dollars into sport, it's no longer sport. It's business. We like to pretend it's still sport. And that's the real problem. Our own collective naievte.
It's business to anyone that stands to make money off of it. To the casual observer, it's nothing more than entertainment. Anyone that takes it beyond that needs to get a life. Guys beating their wives when their team loses, looking up to these people as if they are anything more than we are, etc.... I don't get it.
Old 05-20-10, 08:36 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This reminds me of when Jose Conseco claimed McGwire did PEDs. We all know what a loser Conseco is, a proven liar, not qualified to carry McGwire's jockstap. Everyone knows McGwire didn't do PEDs...he even denied it.

Next stop on the PEDs Disclosure Tour; Golf and Tiger Woods.
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
If you want to blow political smoke, you're in the wrong forum. This is the last we'll be seeing of this in the thread.
Nothing political about it, only satire. Just trying to find some humor in a sad situation

Now go tell Pcad and botto to lay off the political stuff on their road cycling posts.
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
snip
nice copy and paste.
Old 05-20-10, 08:37 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
why? because he still claims that everyone doped but him?
Well, there's also the alleged phone call Lemond made to Landis in the beginning telling him to come clean instead of suppressing the truth, when Lemond allegedly revealed being abused... etc.

What would you say if you were Lemond?
Old 05-20-10, 08:38 AM
Blaireau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least now we know that doing shots of Jack Daniel's sour mash doesn't help you crush the opposition on a mountain stage of the Tour de France.
Glad that's settled ;-)
Old 05-20-10, 08:39 AM
Captain Insano

Bikes: Alchemy Helios

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The guy spends years and upwards of a million dollars defending himself against those who accuse him of cheating, and only now admits that he was a doper. And now he's trying to implicate the rest of the Tour, even saying "Lance taught me how to dope".

You've got a bit of a credibility problem, Floyd. And a major stupid problem.
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
Well, there's also the alleged phone call Lemond made to Landis in the beginning telling him to come clean instead of suppressing the truth, when Lemond allegedly revealed being abused... etc.

If I were Lemond I'd STFU and get back to rebuilding whatever life I had.
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
"Don't buy a Trek."

Wait - I think he's already said that.
Old 05-20-10, 08:40 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
why do I feel like nobody sees the big picture.

when I see all sorts of language like "rampant" "everyone does it" etc for years and years, eventually I must conclude that there is some degree of truth to the idea that doping is a major component in top-level pro racing. I will still watch the races even though I know that people are on ****. I still like Tyler Hamilton. Sue me.

It ain't going to go away. Maybe if you took the stakes away then it would change, but the stakes appear to be increasing. When they develop a new testing protocol and catch a bunch of guys, the other side is busy developing new doping regimens that cannot yet be discovered.

I think if we want professional sports (especially high-stakes internationally televised competition) then we simply have to accept that human nature will assert itself. Big Deal. next issue.
I think that's the big question in sports as a whole, because the issue isn't athletes doping since it's just a symptom of a much bigger problem being the continually increasing performance expectations, and financial ones as well in certain sports. If we care about the athletes then perhaps it's time to take steps to ensure steps are taken to protect their health, but if it's a gladiator mentality we see them through then they're well paid expendable people.
Old 05-20-10, 08:42 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First Floyd said he was telling the truth. Now Floyd says he was lying. Now floyd says he is teling the truth. Now I don't know if Floyd is telling the truth about whether he was lying, or if he is telling the truth about what he thinks is, or may have been the truth. The TRUTH probably lies somewhere in between. Best to just drop the past and start fresh. If your caught taking performance inhancing drugs you get a lifetime ban...THE END....All this finger pointing makes me dizzy.
Old 05-20-10, 08:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 394 Posts
Do you believe Landis

I know all BF needs is another Landis thread, but I'm curious if people here believe him, and wanted to start a poll.

So do you think Landis' allegations regarding drug use by others are true.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-20-10, 08:43 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How much has really changed since the days of the Colosseum anyway? There was some guy in here a week ago advertising crash footage on Universal.
Old 05-20-10, 08:44 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
why? because he still claims that everyone doped but him? says the guy with the highest ever VO2max
actually my teammate tested pretty close to lemond
Old 05-20-10, 08:44 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Supposedly, he has a journal with details. If that is correct, contemparaneous statements, before he had any motive to fabricate would be pretty powerful corroboration.
everybody keeps saying this, but i have not seen it once in the articles. where did you hear this?

i suppose a journal would be difficult to fabricate. but, landis is required to submit his yearly schedule to usada and wada for doping controls, so going back and adding a doping regiment to a detailed schedule would be much easier for him than for you or i who just have a basic calendar. i mean, aren't there accusations of landis hiring a hacker to get into a lab test result?

just to be clear, i am not burying my head in the sand to keep the facade of clean cycling in place; i am just calling them like i see them. do i think lance doped? absolutely. do i think floyd is full of crap? absolutely. perhaps the allegations, while not completely accurate (somewhat akin to the canseco book), will ignite an interest in cleaning up the sport.
Old 05-20-10, 08:45 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
92.5???
Old 05-20-10, 08:46 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
This reminds me of when Jose Conseco claimed McGwire did PEDs. We all know what a loser Conseco is, a proven liar, not qualified to carry McGwire's jockstap. Everyone knows McGwire didn't do PEDs...he even denied it.
Excellent comparison.
Old 05-20-10, 08:46 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Everyone dopes including me, but I have no proof to back it up."

Look... Dude. Lance just took 3rd in the tour at 37 and we know he was clean. He's f-ing almost 40. He should have been I don't know... 50th! I bet Landis off the juice can't even finish.
Old 05-20-10, 08:48 AM
PSR215

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What landis has had to say does have a ring of truth to it but this guy has told so many different stories over the past few years and has acted so goofy that without some kind of corroboration he should just STFU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.