Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New BSO long-term test!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New BSO long-term test!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 01:11 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh you want videos?

music videos to serve as a tribute dead DJs only please. the DJ died because the roof of his parisian penthouse collapsed while he was performing on it, of all things

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-30-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 01:14 PM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
ha ha I read the whole thread and was getting frustrated because I had no idea what a BSO was!!
Old 10-30-13, 06:07 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
also, i'm not so sure what makes that bike so great ... don't say frame as i'm not sure that over the average first-owner-bike-lifetime there will be difference between 520 and hi-ten. alu and steel yes, steel vs. steel not so much.
Ummm...why don't you compare the rear or front dropouts (look at them [rear dropouts], research this carefully, then report back), or the fork crown, or the finish, or the headset, or the crankset, or the chain, or the brake calipers, or the saddle...Never mind a head-to-head ride comparison. C'mon now...

Seriously? What is your academic discipline anyway? Not science or engineering, I'm guessing...since your "test" has no benchmark or standards given, and no criteria, little data reporting and no analysis. Maybe you're in the humanities or arts? Tenure decades away?

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 10-30-13 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 08:28 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Ummm...why don't you compare the rear or front dropouts (look at them [rear dropouts], research this carefully, then report back), or the fork crown, or the finish, or the headset, or the crankset, or the chain, or the brake calipers, or the saddle...Never mind a head-to-head ride comparison. C'mon now...

Seriously? What is your academic discipline anyway? Not science or engineering, I'm guessing...since your "test" has no benchmark or standards given, and no criteria, little data reporting and no analysis. Maybe you're in the humanities or arts? Tenure decades away?

thanks for the trash talk ... why don't you go head-to-head against my mangobike if you're so confident?

a lot of trash-talking but no direct competition ... just about what I expected from BF ... a lot of big talk but nothing behind

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-31-13, 10:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

thanks for the trash talk ... why don't you go head-to-head against my mangobike if you're so confident?

a lot of trash-talking but no direct competition ... just about what I expected from BF ... a lot of big talk but nothing behind
You know, acidfast7, I've re-read the thread and better understand what you're trying to show with this experiment. I think that my last response was over the top, and I apologize for the challenging tone that it took. My bad.

Your question was whether the original owner could really tell the difference between seemingly similar bikes...and I think that I'd respond "it depends". Sometimes the differences between how the bikes are set up (whether hubs are binding, or whether the chain line is off) can create a perceptible difference.

And further, much depends on the sensitivity and experience of the rider - at least in terms of the subjective aspects of whether a bike feels "lively" or "responsive". I know that I can tell the difference between the feel of bikes that I own and ride on the road. I have another bike, a middle-of-the-road 1980s road bike, that has really nice sealed bearing hubs laced to original rims. It is a joy to ride. I can't explain it - it's not the frame, per se, but the combination that is out of this world...

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your bike and continue to get satisfactory use from it. I'd be interested if you do have component wear or other issues that crop up with its continued use.

Again, sorry about the combative tone. It wasn't called for. Phil G.
Old 10-31-13, 10:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You know, acidfast7, I've re-read the thread and better understand what you're trying to show with this experiment. I think that my last response was over the top, and I apologize for the challenging tone that it took. My bad.

Your question was whether the original owner could really tell the difference between seemingly similar bikes...and I think that I'd respond "it depends". Sometimes the differences between how the bikes are set up (whether hubs are binding, or whether the chain line is off) can create a perceptible difference.

And further, much depends on the sensitivity and experience of the rider - at least in terms of the subjective aspects of whether a bike feels "lively" or "responsive". I know that I can tell the difference between the feel of bikes that I own and ride on the road. I have another bike, a middle-of-the-road 1980s road bike, that has really nice sealed bearing hubs laced to original rims. It is a joy to ride. I can't explain it - it's not the frame, per se, but the combination that is out of this world...

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your bike and continue to get satisfactory use from it. I'd be interested if you do have component wear or other issues that crop up with its continued use.

Again, sorry about the combative tone. It wasn't called for. Phil G.
It's OK. No need to apologise.

I usually quite an a-hole on BF, so I'm the last person to whom anyone should apologise.

I have a photo after every single ride and I'm curious what will wear out first. Perhaps nothing for a very long time because I only ride 20km/day and it seems like I'm doing a lot of traveling so I don't even go to work that many days anymore.
Old 11-01-13, 01:26 PM
acidfast7
Banned

all is still good although it is beginning to get colder in the evening

Attached Images
Old 11-01-13, 02:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

interesting development ... for £100 one can get a Nexus3 hub added to same bike ... guys at work say 3-speed is more than enough for the UK. I do have the hardware on the frame to add it as well ... interesting.

Attached Images
Old 11-01-13, 10:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,062 Posts
interesting development ... for £100 one can get a Nexus3 hub added to same bike ... guys at work say 3-speed is more than enough for the UK. I do have the hardware on the frame to add it as well ... interesting.

Would you still consider the bike a BSO? Are there still plenty of 20 year old or older 3 speed Raleighs available in the UK? If so how much do they go for if serviceable and not being sold as a "collector" classic ? I presume a lot less than you paid for your BSO.
Old 11-01-13, 11:10 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I agree it hardly fits the BSO description. Its too expensive with too few components to actually go wrong.

This is proper BSO:
https://www.tesco.com/direct/terrain-...skuId=211-5870

Full-suspension, 18 speed, for less than half the price he paid.
Old 11-02-13, 05:29 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I agree it hardly fits the BSO description. Its too expensive with too few components to actually go wrong.

This is proper BSO:
https://www.tesco.com/direct/terrain-...skuId=211-5870

Full-suspension, 18 speed, for less than half the price he paid.
And here is another from Brit Walmart:

https://direct.asda.com/Fifth-Avenue-...efault,pd.html

£135.00 for a 700c with 18 speed shimano drive train.
Old 11-04-13, 06:59 AM
acidfast7
Banned

i love BF ...

1. one set of people said I paid too much and am a "hipster."
2. another set of people say that it's a total piece of crap and that I way overpaid for the components
3. another set of people said that it's too expensive to be a BSO.
4. most people in set 1, set 2 and set 3 have no understanding about VAT and GBP:USD conversions.

at BF

logged another ride today and it still seems great!
Old 11-04-13, 07:14 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
i love BF ...

2. another set of people say that it's a total piece of crap and that I way overpaid for the components
4. most people in set 1, set 2 and set 3 have no understanding about VAT and GBP:USD conversions.

at BF

For the record, I'm in the third set, but I have a great understanding of both VAT and GBPUSD conversions and currency trading (so I'm not in set/point 4). After taking GPDUSD into account and VAT, I think you paid to much, but you definitely ain't a hipster.

Are you enjoying the bike? Looks like it. Was it ridiculous overpriced? No, probably not. So from that point of you, I think you did well.

Are you still enjoying this thread? I'll leave that one as an exercise for the reader.
Old 11-04-13, 12:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

i love BF ...

at BF

I am in parts of 1, 2, and 3 since I think you paid too much for a bike that is intended to be used for a long term test of a so-called BSO. I know very well about Value Added Taxes and money conversion rates since I dealt with both for 10 years while living in Germany and traveling through Europe, most of it before the Euro was implemented.

Bottom line:
You paid too much if you were really intending to get a so-called BSO for a long term test. I expect your test results will have little to no relevance to anyone looking for an inexpensive bike for commuter use, due to your choice in the "test" bike.

You got too little for your money if you were looking for a basic commute to work bike.
Old 11-04-13, 12:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
It depends on where. There are some hills that are amazingly challenging even with a modern bike with a wall-climbing gear.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-04-13, 12:41 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

You got too little for your money if you were looking for a basic commute to work bike.
That will be determined by the long-term test, will it not?
Old 11-04-13, 12:42 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
It depends on where. There are some hills that are amazingly challenging even with a modern bike with a wall-climbing gear.
I agree. My British colleagues are nostalgic about the 3-speed concept though and state that "3 speed are more than enough to cross the country."
Old 11-04-13, 01:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

That will be determined by the long-term test, will it not?
Possibly. Might also be useful if you compare your costs with the costs of long term use of a used Raleigh or other English/European 3 speed in the same locale as yours. Perhaps you could find poll some such long time users about their estimated costs over the last 20-30 years of use.
Old 11-04-13, 01:09 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Possibly. Might also be useful if you compare your costs with the costs of long term use of a used Raleigh or other English/European 3 speed in the same locale as yours. Perhaps you could find poll some such long time users about their estimated costs over the last 20-30 years of use.
I think it's important to document a thorough protocol first that way others can follow.

Currently, I just want to recover my costs of lights, a lock, a cycloputer and the bike against the bus first and then I'll be making money
Old 11-04-13, 01:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I agree. My British colleagues are nostalgic about the 3-speed concept though and state that "3 speed are more than enough to cross the country."
I assume you didn't buy the so-called BSO to cross the country. I know I didn't buy my commuter bike to cross the Rockies.
3 speeds certainly are better than one for negotiating hills on a commute, especially a fixed one gear that never lets the cyclist rest while coasting down any hill.
Old 11-04-13, 01:11 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I assume you didn't buy the so-called BSO to cross the country. I know I didn't buy my commuter bike to cross the Rockies.
3 speeds certainly are better than one for negotiating hills on a commute, especially a fixed one gear that never lets the cyclist rest while coasting down any hill.
England is not wide

Just a quick jaunt along Hadrian's Wall perhaps:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3f9Sr.jpg (99.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 11-04-13, 01:57 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

England is not wide

Just a quick jaunt along Hadrian's Wall perhaps:

Is this "BSO" now your only bicycle? I assume you could afford more than one, why would you handicap yourself with a fixed gear for this jaunt; for the purposes of your long-term test?
Old 11-04-13, 02:02 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Is this "BSO" now your only bicycle? I assume you could afford more than one, why would you handicap yourself with a fixed gear for this jaunt; for the purposes of your long-term test?
all of my stuff is in Germany still, so this is my only bike.

i find that people respond quite positively to my BSO.

girls and kids particularly like it and ask about it. grown men think it's kind of strange but usually by me a pint to discuss about it.

so far it's been a great situation especially as it really stands out colour-wise now as the grey rainy season is rapidly approaching.

i like bringing a little craziness to people's otherwise grey and boring lives
Old 11-04-13, 02:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
The Americas are not wide either , at Panama. where they built the Canal .
Old 11-04-13, 02:17 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Americas are not wide either , at Panama. where they built the Canal .
that canal is old news. china is financing another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.