Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bike deserves vintage watch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage bike deserves vintage watch

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 08:26 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Actually there are a lot of mechanical watches that when adjusted correctly will keep better time than a quartz. The only quartz watch that will keep better time are those that are sync'd with the Atomic clock in Colorado, but those don't keep better time they simply automatically once a day readjust the time to make up for the inaccuracy of the quartz.
That's definitely not been my experience. Not either with high end manual winders or mid range or low end. And same goes for the two self winders that I've owned.

The Muhle has this movement:

ETA Cal. 2892-2 21 jewels Swiss Mechanical Auto-wind

That's a good one that comes in a number of high end watches.
I've also owned a hand me down Minerva that was a fine little manual winder but a simple Timex keeps better time than either.

You can google it if you want and probably verify that. But jewelry is jewelry and I can appreciate putting on the dawg at times. Just don't flash cash and name high end watches in questionable neighborhoods of the big city.....is my advice.

Last edited by Zinger; 12-14-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 08:45 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Quartz wrist watches (not synchronized to WWV) are typically almost two orders of magnitude more accurate than C.O.S.C. certified mechanical movement chronometers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

Accuracy (units are in seconds):

Mechanical - Average daily rate: −4/+6 (average rate over the first ten testing days)

Quartz - Average daily rate at 23 °C: ±0.07

The cheapest quartz watches are much more accurate than the best mechanical movement watches.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-14-13, 09:14 PM
Bikedud
Sapient

Bikes: Just a bunch of bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
I have the same Benrus. I've always been a big fan of Benrus watches, I guess because it was the first "good" watch I owned when I was a young man. I have about 30 of them now.

Here's my favorite though. My Benrus Sky Chief. Venus movement, chrono and it might have flown with an Air Force pilot in WWII -

Your Sky Chief is one fine looking watch, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-14-13, 09:18 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was about to rebutt on the comment about quartz accuracy, then Scooper eloquently responded.

I have had mechanicals and quartz models in my stash of watches. I appreciate the workmanship that went into a mechanical, but I'm not a watch snob. I acknowledge the superiority of quartz for their function as a timepiece.
Old 12-14-13, 09:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryP
DD,

I think they feel lighter with the Jubilee so be prepared to brake harder as your speed will be picking up on the flats. Have a spare toothbrush ready too. The Jubilee likes to ‘funk up’ a little more than the Oyster. I occasionally take them off and do an ammonia soak or use a sonic cleaner on them. Don’t forget a picture or two with the next bracelet.

If you really want light, pick up an acrylic one next.

I got it; will be here in a couple weeks or so. I think it will get a trial run on the Tudor. I've been really picky because it seems these stretch easier (or just that there are more stretched ones out there?) than the Oyster bracelets. Thanks for the cleaning tip; I'm sure all those tiny hollow center links will need lots of attention over time.

Jim: Love that Benrus Sky Chief! Nice dial/hands patina while the case looks brand new 30+ watch collection, huh? Seems N+1 does not only apply in cycling. I could never find the time to wear that many (I was once putting together a collection), so I sold some off and came to the conclusion I'd get one more (the latest) and that would be it.

Is the SC a manual-winder? I note above that speedevil was looking for manual-wind feedback. Would like to see more pics of your collection.

Scooper: Love your '78; those acrylic crystals look so cool on these watches!

Btw, I've been a Rolex fan since early childhood, when I was downtown one Christmas season in Seattle and saw a Rolex fishbowl display at Ben Bridge Jewelers. For whatever reason, it had a lasting impression on me. You can have their diamond-encrusted gold and platinum offerings, but give me a stainless steel "tool" from this House any day of the week.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-14-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 10:02 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
You can have their diamond-encrusted gold and platinum offerings, but give me a stainless steel "tool" from this House any day of the week.

DD
Yep; they're tough, honest, reliable, and accurate. Mine has ticked for 35 years without missing a beat. To me it's a tool, not a piece of jewelry. I file flight plans in UTC, get METARs and TAFs in UTC, and keep my radio transmission logs in UTC so having that at a glance is really handy.

my bikes

Old 12-14-13, 10:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Scooper
I file flight plans in UTC, get METARs and TAFs in UTC, and keep my radio transmission logs in UTC so having that at a glance is really handy.
I wish I had this years ago - back in the day when my rating, Radioman, meant we actually worked with radios vice computers, the UTC "time tick" was our God. All the crypto changeovers were coordinated to UTC or "zulu time", as we know it in the military.

DD
Old 12-14-13, 11:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Public Service Announcement:

It seems there are an awful lot of scammers operating on Ebay at the moment (and not just dealing in watches); my theory is they're trying to scare up some fast money for the holidays. T'is the season to rip people off.

Good thing Ebay's practices don't allow these scammers to get away with the money if the buyers open cases

Here's one in particular. This guy used photos from the auction of the watch I ended up winning. He was even so clueless as to list his auction prior to the end of the one I won.

The auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-GMT-Ma...c#ht_114wt_940

I contacted the guy while his auction was still active, but not to let him know I was onto his little scam (his description of the watch didn't match his photos at all), but to ask for description/photos confirmation. No answer.

Check out his recent spate of 9 (count 'em) negative feedbacks in a row. Seems he likes to list stuff that is either fake or not in his "inventory" at all. Oh, and his Feedback count was 83 just prior to the recent negatives - I wonder how his overall numbers went down? Did he get Ebay to remove some negatives somehow?

Be careful out there

DD
Old 12-14-13, 11:53 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
I have the same Benrus. I've always been a big fan of Benrus watches, I guess because it was the first "good" watch I owned when I was a young man. I have about 30 of them now.

Here's my favorite though. My Benrus Sky Chief. Venus movement, chrono and it might have flown with an Air Force pilot in WWII -

Has anybody mentioned that this is a mighty elegant old watch ?
Old 12-15-13, 12:04 AM
KerryP

Bikes: '64 Varsity, '69 Varsity, '71 Varsity, '71 Super Sport, '72 Super Sport, PX10 times 4, '72 Paramount, '73 Sports Tourer, '73 Paramount '77 Paramount, two NOS Pros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
I didn't say it but I've been thinking it.
Old 12-15-13, 12:09 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I contacted the guy while his auction was still active, but not to let him know I was onto his little scam (his description of the watch didn't match his photos at all), but to ask for description/photos confirmation. No answer.

DD
The 30.8% positive feedback should be a big enough red flag to scare off even the dumbest buyers.

my bikes

Old 12-15-13, 12:14 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Of course it will now, but note he only had one negative before this sudden streak. I wonder why a seller with a decent history on Ebay (as in, he didn't just make an account yesterday) would eff up his standing all of a sudden? Maybe some sudden and hardcore money problems?

DD
Old 12-15-13, 12:17 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

^^ or, scarier still, maybe somebody hijacked his ebay and PayPal identities.

my bikes

Old 12-15-13, 12:20 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^^^ I wondered about that - perhaps that would explain the lowered number of feedbacks from 83 to 76, with perhaps 9 or more to come.

DD
Old 12-15-13, 09:23 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Just gorgeous.
Old 12-15-13, 10:09 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
I've been watching (ha - pun intended) with some interest as I too love horology....my tastes run a little more C&V than what has been shown here, however I don't think any of these would be suitable for mounting on a bicycle....

The one on the bottom right is either a real or a counterfeit Tompion....dates to around 1700 - somewhat before the advent of two wheeled travel!
Old 12-15-13, 10:24 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Just gorgeous.
It really is a beauty.

I'd love to find one someday.
Old 12-15-13, 10:29 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
pocket watches really are the DT shifters of the horological field, eh!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful collection.
Old 12-15-13, 10:39 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
pocket watches really are the DT shifters of the horological field, eh!
I hadn't thought of that but you are right - you need to remove your hands from the bars to use them! thanks for the compliment - I am happy to say they all work too!
Old 12-15-13, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Cinelli SC 1971, Daccordi 1985

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Exactly my style. Really lovely wrist watch.
Old 12-15-13, 11:35 AM
iab

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 3039 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 1,439 Posts
[/URL]
Does it require a lot of maintenance? My Breitling did,

Old 12-15-13, 11:37 AM
rootboy 

I have a few of these old Enicar Seapearl hand wound Swiss watches. I like them for the decorative dials.
Old 12-15-13, 11:38 AM
rootboy 

Beauty, Iab!
Old 12-15-13, 12:07 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

I could never get used to the 24 hour dial on my 809 Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaut. I never wore it, so I sold it a while back.

my bikes

Old 12-15-13, 02:14 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
I've been watching (ha - pun intended) with some interest as I too love horology....my tastes run a little more C&V than what has been shown here, however I don't think any of these would be suitable for mounting on a bicycle....

The one on the bottom right is either a real or a counterfeit Tompion....dates to around 1700 - somewhat before the advent of two wheeled travel!
What a cool collection of pocket watches. I have one that my grandfather gave me just before he died but I have no clue about it and never took it to have it looked at. It's a Illinois Watch company watch but no model name, inside it says 17 jewels and Dueber with the usual set of serial numbers. You wouldn't by some chance know anything about it?

It keeps fantastic time but I can't get the stem to come out to set the time! Some day I have to take it in and get it cleaned even though it looks spotless inside and out. It's amazing that after 53 years ago that I got the watch it still runs! I never used it just wound it up once every year.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 12-15-13 at 02:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.