Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Would a self driving car world make it safe for cyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 04:08 PM
Kontact

Liked 1,846 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For some reason we're not allowed to mount Xenon Tungsten Arc lamps on our cars, otherwise surely the shadows would have been peeled away.

What are the rules that the Uber cars use to select high vs low beams? I find constantly blinking my lights in an urban environment is a pain, but depending on traffic, this may well have been a place where the lights should have been on high.

Hopefully data analysis will come out over the next few days, weeks, or months to indicate what was visible to the computer system, what wasn't, and what should have been visible. And, if there are changes that would have brought more into view.
You're making an assumption that the "shadows" involved were in line with the headlights. I would suggest that overly simple assumptions about why the victim was unseen by both driver and car are unlikely to prove accurate.
Old 03-20-18, 04:08 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
A SF newspaper acting as a mouthpiece for/covering up for the Silicon Valley hand that feeds them? Nahhhh, totally implausible...

Some local AZ police chief not being the absolute best of characters? Nahhhh, who would believe that?
Certainly that is all far more likely than people willfully dismissing evidence sitting in front of their face because it doesn't fit their narrative or confirm their beliefs

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
no need to require impartial regulatory oversight hype machine.
When has anyone argued for no regulation?
Old 03-20-18, 04:10 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,454 Times in 1,009 Posts
^^^^ Part of the conspiracy.
Old 03-20-18, 04:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,600 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The police were provided with two videos. One forward facing video, and one video of human co-driver. But, there should be a lot of data relating to this incident. Perhaps taking a couple of days to pick through. When did the person first show up on the computer's sensors. Should the person have shown up earlier? When did the computer first identify the person? What preventative evasive actions were taken? When? And, evasive actions immediately before impact? When and why, or why not?

Apparently this incident is serious enough to warrant a full NHTSA investigation.
But the incident was not serious enough (after all the victim was homeless the other party the mighty AV Cartel operating with little oversight in AZ)to cause the police chief to show any self-restraint in absolving the favored party to a favored media outlet within a day and without any but the minimal information provided to her by Uber.
Old 03-20-18, 04:11 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I won't trust the driver's statement until it can be verified by experts of NTSB.

This is urban environment...usually enough street light and headlight, not on a dark rural road.

The news video show the street is quite well lit...with many street lights near the scene.
I'm sure that you will continue to embrace anything that confirms your bias and reject anything else until whatever point that becomes impossible.

But what we all are being told right now is that the victim was completely unseen until entering the road. The story might change, but there is more utility in treated what is offered as fact until better information comes along.
Old 03-20-18, 04:14 PM
Kontact

But the incident was not serious enough (after all the victim was homeless the other party the mighty AV Cartel operating with little oversight in AZ)to cause the police chief to show any self-restraint in absolving the favored party to a favored media outlet within a day and without any but the minimal information provided to her by Uber.
Sure, and there might be a range of Jewish or UN conspiracies we should probably assume as well.

Maybe an FBI cover up as well?
njkayaker

Will Uber stonewall the investigator? Claiming proprietary technology rights...like Toyota did with its data recorder.
Would doing that give the government or the public sufficient confidence in Uber to be allowed to have the cars on public streets?
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Will Uber stonewall the investigator? Claiming proprietary technology rights...like Toyota did with its data recorder.

I assume investigator do not have the mean to read the data...and will need Uber's technology to read and understand the information.
Maybe the investigators will need to hire the same Israeli computer whizzes that the FBI used to bypass Apple's stonewalling of their Smartphone encryption secrets.
Old 03-20-18, 04:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Would doing that give the government or the public sufficient confidence in Uber to be allowed to have the cars on public streets?
Worked for Apple, at least for awhile. But at least Apple was not protecting their own wrongdoing/malfeasance.
Old 03-20-18, 04:20 PM
02Giant 

Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Does AZ require the "driver" to be behind the wheel?
Old 03-20-18, 04:20 PM
Kontact

Worked for Apple, at least for awhile. But at least Apple was not protecting their own wrongdoing/malfeasance.
Which specific wrongdoing are you referring to? Exactly what did the Uber car or driver do wrong based on the facts so far?

(I like how you brought Israelis into the discussion. Well played.)
Old 03-20-18, 04:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It doesn't matter whose company has the car program, they'll all get lumped together like Fedex freight.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The thing that I see when I look at Uber is that they tested without official permission on California streets and got busted when an AV ran a stop sign. That's what go them banned from California.

Cutting corners? Or just an intern slow to file paperwork?

As for the driver here … as jefnvk says, you get out of prison because strong-arm robbery doesn't work ... good time to get an honest job. And since not many people will hire a felon ... the guy Legally changed his name.

He wasn’t using a fake ID or anything. He went to court and got his name changed … probably so he could get a job.

Anyway … this is a great opportunity for the legal system to see what it can do with the reams of data afforded by the many AV sensors.

Meanwhile, Waymo is sitting pretty … if I worked there, I’d do a “Russian Hacker” campaign … hashtag-We’re the other company, hashtag-We’re not the one who killed that lady ….. flood social media with complete deniability, then respond by disavowing all the posts and playing up their much longer history of safe driving, more than twice as much testing, many years more of development ….
Old 03-20-18, 04:22 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,571 Times in 3,395 Posts

Will federal investigators have the mean to read the on-board data?...or will they need Uber's help to read and understand the information.
One report I read indicated that the Police had taken the car to their own lab, and had not given Uber direct access to the car yet (although I wouldn't be surprised if the car has already done a wireless data transfer to Uber).

Still, it is a good point that the car's electronics are undoubtedly password protected, and the police will need cooperation from Uber to analyze the data. Perhaps even have special custom algorithms to better understand the situation.
Old 03-20-18, 04:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Kontact
I'm sure that you will continue to embrace anything that confirms your bias and reject anything else until whatever point that becomes impossible.

But what we all are being told right now is that the victim was completely unseen until entering the road. The story might change, but there is more utility in treated what is offered as fact until better information comes along.
Baloney! Who is telling that story? And why, prior to the beginning of any official investigation?

No need to ask why the AV fan-bois are so anxious to embrace/latch on to this "exclusive" version of the "story".
Old 03-20-18, 04:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

(I like how you brought Israelis into the discussion. Well played.)
You don't know what you are talking about except your own fabricated strawman argument. Before it was just the bleating of a confirmed fan boy, now it borders on the ranting of a bigot.
Old 03-20-18, 04:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
C'mon kids, somebody got hit by a car and died.
Old 03-20-18, 04:32 PM
njkayaker

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...andowski-waymo
Old 03-20-18, 04:32 PM
Kontact

You don't know what you are talking about except your own fabricated strawman argument. Before it was just the bleating of a confirmed fan boy, now it borders on the ranting of a bigot.
You distribute a lot of insults when you aren't ranting your conspiracy theories.

Do you find the insults actually decrease the ability of other people to continue to use their brains?
Old 03-20-18, 04:33 PM
njkayaker

???

Whatever you are hinting at, it seems like it's an example of "false equivalence".
Old 03-20-18, 04:33 PM
njkayaker

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/1...andowski-waymo
Old 03-20-18, 04:37 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rollfast
C'mon kids, somebody got hit by a car and died.
That isn't the "story" being put out by the AV apologists. The "story" is a homeless woman stepped right in front of Uber AV causing the crash that killed her and there is no way that collision could have been avoided by the Uber vehicle; all blame is on the victim. That is the AV fan-bois "story" and they are sticking to it.
Old 03-20-18, 04:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

Whatever you are hinting at, it seems like it's an example of "false equivalence".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdra.../#62219fbc3b18
Old 03-20-18, 04:40 PM
Kontact

That isn't the "story" being put out by the AV apologists. The "story" is a homeless woman stepped right in front of Uber AV causing the crash that killed her and there is no way that collision could have been avoided by the Uber vehicle; all blame is on the victim. That is the AV fan-bois "story" and they are sticking to it.
And your "story" is that anyone who disagrees with your conspiracy theories that a cover up MUST be going on is a fan boy and bigot.

Is it really so much to ask that people discuss an emerging story with reason rather than prejudice?
Old 03-20-18, 04:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Thanks, an interesting article. Perhaps the Uber leopard has changed its spots, perhaps not.
Old 03-20-18, 04:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

And your "story" is that anyone who disagrees with your conspiracy theories that a cover up MUST be going on is a fan boy and bigot.

Is it really so much to ask that people discuss an emerging story with reason rather than prejudice?
Conspiracy theory is your strawman argument.

I see that the "story" is now only "emerging" and not a done deal, blame the victim, case closed "story."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.