Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bikes you painted yourself

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bikes you painted yourself

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 01:00 PM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 106 Posts
Powder Coating Components

Although the main discussion in this thread is about painting frames, which I also enjoy, I want to put in a plug for painting components with powder coat. It's inexpensive to set up to paint small components, there's a world of colors available (although I have mostly used Henry Ford's color palette), and you don't have to wait for a warm, dry day to do it. The size of components I can currently coat is limited by the size of the oven I'm using. I've thought about picking up an old range to do things like bars and racks, and maybe forks. I think it's probably more practical to send frames out to a local pro rather than setting up an oven at home big enough for it.

Here's my set up:

Here's a set of components I've powder-coated chrome silver for the bike I'm currently working on. The goal of this build is to use as many on-hand or purchased-used components as possible. These components in their original states were black, white, or clear-coated aluminum.

Here are a couple of crank sets where I've powder coated the cranks, pedals, and chain rings:

Here's one where I coated only the pedals and cranks:

Here are a couple of brake calipers. I'm currently working on the set of original side-pulls to put back on the purple Schwinn.

Likes For daywood:
Old 01-10-23, 03:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
CONTINUED .....

1940's CCM "Flyer" Track

1940's Schwinn "Paramount" Track

1962 Raphael Geminiani track
If I wanted to search it out, what term would I use for those adjustable length head stems?
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 01-10-23, 04:55 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
If I wanted to search it out, what term would I use for those adjustable length head stems?
'major taylor stem'
Likes For Soody:
Old 01-10-23, 05:05 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 118 Posts
46 Higgins Ultralite using SprayBike products

First bike, stripped to bare metal, filled a few dents, then primed and sprayed with SprayBike products, came out ok.

Likes For brewerkz:
Old 01-10-23, 05:45 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 773 Posts
As bought.... for $10

Hand-stripped, sanded, etc. Primed and painted with Spray.bike. Already a couple chips just from moving around in the basement, so I'm not overly confident in the durability of Spray.bike. Got another frame in the queue that I might try the thinned-down brushed-on Rustoleum treatment... (though after doing this one early last summer I did swear I'd never do it again and would let the pros handle the job, but.....)
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 01-10-23, 05:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
'major taylor stem'
Thank you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=majo...&client=safari
Old 01-10-23, 05:51 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
As bought.... for $10

Hand-stripped, sanded, etc. Primed and painted with Spray.bike. Already a couple chips just from moving around in the basement, so I'm not overly confident in the durability of Spray.bike. Got another frame in the queue that I might try the thinned-down brushed-on Rustoleum treatment... (though after doing this one early last summer I did swear I'd never do it again and would let the pros handle the job, but.....)
similar observation, not sure if I should have applied more clear coat, but my spraybike finish is delicate too.
Old 01-10-23, 07:01 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Originally Posted by brewerkz
similar observation, not sure if I should have applied more clear coat, but my spraybike finish is delicate too.
Yeah- I felt like the spray.bike clear wasn’t glossy or thick enough, so I put a couple coats of another clear over it (after researching compatibility), but it’s still pretty fragile seeming.
Old 01-11-23, 12:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by brewerkz
Yeah- I felt like the spray.bike clear wasn’t glossy or thick enough, so I put a couple coats of another clear over it (after researching compatibility), but it’s still pretty fragile seeming.
Did you guys rub the paint shortly after it was dry to the touch? That removes and dry over spray and compacts the paint.
I've used that stuff for a few frames and one is a kids MTB- it has scratches, but those things would be on any bike. It's been really solid and durable.
Old 01-11-23, 07:13 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Did you guys rub the paint shortly after it was dry to the touch? That removes and dry over spray and compacts the paint.
I've used that stuff for a few frames and one is a kids MTB- it has scratches, but those things would be on any bike. It's been really solid and durable.
Yup. Though I seem to recall (might be wrong about this...) the directions said rub it with wax paper, which didn't make a lot of sense to me- seems wax paper might leave a residue of wax on the paint surface which could inhibit the adhesion of the clear-coat. I think I used a thinnish brown paper bag or something...or maybe I did use wax paper as instructed & just thought 'hmm, this seems kinda weird... I think the issue may be more with their etching primer, as the chips are down to the bare metal, indicating to me that the primer isn't particularly well-adhered to the metal (which was very well sanded and cleaned with mineral spirits before priming). Anyway, it was a $10 bike I originally bought to cannibalize some parts from and I wasn't really expecting perfection. I'd rate Spray.bike decent, but not great.
Old 01-11-23, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
I'd rate Spray.bike decent, but not great.
Fair rating.

Squid Bikes uses the stuff for all their frame painting and the creativity is at 100 while the quality is probably an 85. You can see issues in the painted frames in IG that I had to also deal with when garage painting some frames.
The spray.bike paint definitely isnt as smooth as liquid paint, but the usability was much higher and that helped determine the route to go for the frames I have painted with that product.

I was just surprised to see the finish is delicate because thats the last thing I would hold against the product, based on the few frames I have worked on. Not the smoothest paint- yes. Not the easiest process for avoiding overspray- yes. But it not being delicate is something I have actually appreciated.

Anyways- its all home painting anyways so a lot of the value is in the experience!
Old 01-20-23, 01:18 PM
sfazio 

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts
As bought.... for $10

Beautiful Job!