Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 01:32 AM
agressor

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best road friend :-)
https://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1377587433
Old 08-27-13, 07:02 AM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agressor
there ya go
Old 08-27-13, 07:27 AM
Zach_Stone

Bikes: 70s Bottecchia road bike w/Campy 8 speed ti record, Nashbar Mk III dressed up as a commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not mine, but one I built for a friend. The guts are a Nashbar Alloy frame, Carbon fork from a Windsor frame I built as a commuter w/a cromo fork (see the commuter bike thread...) FSA integrated headset. The drive train was cobbled together from parts I had laying about. 600 LH shifter, RSX 7s RH, RSX RD, Suntour FD, 105 crankset (52/39), Tektro (branded Marin) brakes, and rolling on Mavic CXP22's I had on my commuter before I demoted my 105 wheelset to that bike. While the white on white is bad photo form, I was happy with how the bike road and looked. The frame has a suprisingly nice pearlescent finish, esp. given the price, and the red bottle cages I found in my parts box set off the headset nicely, or so I thought. Anyhow, my friend wanted a road bike to try out triathalons and wanted to spend less than $400, and putting it together was a fun afternoon.
Old 08-27-13, 02:57 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I posted this a few months ago but have made some changes including fitting, and these are new wheels that I got for gravel roads, winter use, and an upcoming Fondo that has some pretty long dirt stretches. I set these up tubeless and have 23mm wide rims. When I compare the wheels to my normal width ones using the same tire it's incredible to see how much wider these seem (and they sure do ride cushier). I also added the DI2. The seatpost battery was pretty cool and the installation was good fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
complete.jpg (94.6 KB, 231 views)
Old 08-28-13, 08:52 AM
martinus

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, IF they actually have small parts... and the guy working on your bike is a "spindoctor" or "cat1" trained, it *may* be ok, to drop the bike off...
Like stated above... Go in and look around it easy to see, they are only intrested in *easy* profit, poorly tranied mostly young staff, and no surprise there, the only solution to any cust serv issue/problem is to terminate, so lot a new faces montly thanks to all the complainers that wanna save a buck. So yeah if your that guy, stop it, its not really helping the cycling community, or F-it keep doing it, and make PBS look worse... they only train a few select employees after x amount of time already employed...
Back to the no small parts inventory, just about the only thing they have in stock is cables, if you need a spoke they will send you to another shop/competator, Straight fron the DM's mouth... I went in needed a spoke, they didnt have it, asked to cut one down. No hand threader in the "shop", ( LOL, Def. no Phil wood 3K machine ) the SM told me they ( serv dept ) arent even allowed to order it/anything ( Ex : a 50$ box of 100count dt swiss spokes ) for the shop in the winter, so make sure you get your service done in the summer so the poor serv manager is allowed to get stuff in ... if you need something more than cables ( example : brake pads ) and its not on the floor, for the mech to take/ "store use" you are SOL.
My performance (shop) dont even have one of these :

Last edited by martinus; 08-28-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-28-13, 10:50 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by martinus
Yeah, IF they actually have small parts... and the guy working on your bike is a "spindoctor" or "cat1" trained, it *may* be ok, to drop the bike off...
Like stated above... Go in and look around it easy to see, they are only intrested in *easy* profit, poorly tranied mostly young staff, and no surprise there, the only solution to any cust serv issue/problem is to terminate, so lot a new faces montly thanks to all the complainers that wanna save a buck. So yeah if your that guy, stop it, its not really helping the cycling community, or F-it keep doing it, and make PBS look worse... they only train a few select employees after x amount of time already employed...
Back to the no small parts inventory, just about the only thing they have in stock is cables, if you need a spoke they will send you to another shop/competator, Straight fron the DM's mouth... I went in needed a spoke, they didnt have it, asked to cut one down. No hand threader in the "shop", ( LOL, Def. no Phil wood 3K machine ) the SM told me they ( serv dept ) arent even allowed to order it/anything ( Ex : a 50$ box of 100count dt swiss spokes ) for the shop in the winter, so make sure you get your service done in the summer so the poor serv manager is allowed to get stuff in ... if you need something more than cables ( example : brake pads ) and its not on the floor, for the mech to take/ "store use" you are SOL.
My performance (shop) dont even have one of these :
I'm not really sure who you're talking to here, but I'm assuming its me considering I was having my frame replaced at Performance.

Umm, no where was I ever raving about Performance, I bought my first bike (Fuji Altamira 2.0) there because the price was right. It served me well until the seat stay cracked. Obviously, I'm going to take it back to the store I bought it from to see what the warranty will do for me. I can also say the guys working in the store, are the same ones that were there in March when I bought the bike and the few times in between that I stopped in for a water bottle, etc. No, they don't carry high end parts. Neither do half of the other bike shops from my experience - I went to three shops looking for brake pads for carbon wheels. I went to two looking for valves for tubeless rims. These are little items, easily stockable and cheap, yet just about every bike shop caters to the beginner or mid level rider. The guy wanting premium parts, needs to find the premium bike shop selling things at a premium price or buy online.

Needless to say, the head mechanic has an excellent reputation at Performance. He comes with several high marked reviews. I trust him in moving my components from my old frame to my new frame. To be honest, I could have done it, just didn't want to be bothered. I'm still waiting to get the bike back as they had to order a new bottom bracket for my dura ace crankset that I dropped off to replace the FSA/Oval crankset. That's life, its cool.

Also, I can assure you I will be checking over the bike once I get it home to assure everything is up to standards, just like everyone who buys a bike from anywhere. Who knows if the person that set it up tightened that last bolt securely? I just spent a very large sum of money on a Cannondale Supersix EVO with Ultegra Di2, I had to wait a week for it to be delivered to the "premium" bike shop, then the "premium" mechanic put tubes in my tubeless wheels and didn't tighten the bolts on the stem. From my experience, all bike shops have issues, not just the "walmart" ones and I have no loyalty to any of them. I'd rather buy my parts from online retailers on the cheap and do my own wrenching at home.

Old 08-28-13, 12:27 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ed - I'm with you on Performance for service. It'll always do in a pinch, and if you can find one where the wrench knows you and your bike, then it's feasible to think you'll get decent work accomplished. When I'm checking out a new LBS, I always start with something small to see how it turns out.
Old 08-28-13, 01:26 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
FWIW, I spent two days dropping some collateral off for the Mtn Bike Park we just built and had 4 Performance Bike Shops on my route. All 4 had very helpful staff who were very keen to let their customers know about our park. The staff, while young were very friendly and approachable which is nice for the average buyer.
Old 08-28-13, 03:36 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Honestly, my biggest issue right now is how long it's taking. There's nothing I can do really and I understand, but the wait is always excruciating when you have a new toy on the way. It took a week for them to get a hold of fuji. Took another week to get the frame. Add in a few days to swap, a few more for the new part, etc and its been almost a month.

However, it's the same everywhere. It took over a week for Cannondale to be delivered. No rush shipping, that I would have paid for, available.

Old 08-28-13, 06:23 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New Orbea Orca Bli2. It has an amazing ride!
Old 08-30-13, 09:30 AM
SpinDr
Token Brit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starley JKS R1...

Frame: Starley JKS R1 carbon
Forks: Starley JKS R1 carbon
Bars: Starley Works carbon
Stem: Use Race aluminium
Headset: Starley JSR
Bar Tape: Fizik Microtech
Shifters: DA7900
Front Caliper: DA7900
Rear Brake Lever: DA7900
Rear Caliper: DA7900
Cables: DA
Front Mech: DA7900
Rear Mech: DA7900
Seat: Fizik Arione with Team Garmin colourway
Seat Post: Starley Works carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Starley
Cranks: DA7900
Chainring(s): DA7900 53/39
Chain: SRAM Force
Cassette: SRAM Force 11-25
Pedals: Look KEO 2 Max
Bottom Bracket: DA7900 with Wheels Manufacturing adapter (BB30 frame)
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Quattro
Tyres: Continental GP4000S

I haven't weighed it, but probably around 7kg.
Old 08-30-13, 11:18 AM
jibjab1978

Bikes: 2013 Lynskey R230, 2012 Focus Izalco Pro 3.0, 2013 All-City Space Horse, 2009 Kona Kapu (RIP)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2013 All City Space Horse
SRAM Force/Rival Drivetrain
Paul MiniMoto Brakes
Thomson Stem/Seatpost
Brooks B17 Select Saddle
Arundel Stainless Cages
Cane Creek 40 Headset
Custom Wheelset (White Industries Hubs 36 spoke 3 cross to TK540 Rims)
Vittoria Randonneur Tires 700c 28 (for now. I rotate tires depending on activity)
Tubus Cargo Rack
Planet Bike Fenders

It's my swiss army bike. Go anywhere. Do anything. Commute/Gravel/Whatever. Just ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0209.jpg (96.7 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by jibjab1978; 08-30-13 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Spelling; Awesomeness
Old 08-30-13, 06:28 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Commuter set-up:
Old 08-31-13, 01:49 PM
petermk

Bikes: Wilier Gran Turismo 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got this one - Wilier Gran Turismo - 16.6 lbs, including pedals and cages.

Last edited by petermk; 08-31-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 02:20 PM
Gourley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike, not high end parts but it works for me.
Nashbar frame (which I am switching out to a smaller size)
Old 08-31-13, 02:42 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gourley

My bike, not high end parts but it works for me.
Nashbar frame (which I am switching out to a smaller size)
The bike in the background/against the pole belongs in the "Hot or Not" thread!
Old 08-31-13, 02:50 PM
Gourley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
The bike in the background/against the pole belongs in the "Hot or Not" thread!
You ain't kidding!
Old 08-31-13, 03:12 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by petermk

Looks great!
Old 09-02-13, 08:22 PM
applebaconator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy

nice s5

Last edited by applebaconator; 09-02-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 11:25 AM
chil2makefun

Bikes: Provex (centaur carbon) 2009 - cube litening super hpc race 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
practically dying to pick up my new ride and post it 2 days left... 2 LONG days
Old 09-05-13, 07:32 AM
jparillo

Bikes: Scott Foil 40, Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Sora Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinDr
Starley JKS R1...

Love the finish on this frame. All around great color scheme.

Originally Posted by petermk

White FSA crankset and seatpost along with the cages is a nice touch.
Old 09-05-13, 01:32 PM
pepox369

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my new to me bike!

its a Giant TCR with t-mobile theme. Weight is 9.1 kilos with the pedals, which is super light to me.. I weigh 65 kilos and am in pretty good shape so weight is definitely not my concern.

and it has pretty cool wheels, 16 spokes in the front and 20 in the back.

Old 09-05-13, 02:41 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ different strokes for....different folks...
Old 09-05-13, 04:42 PM
Waxbytes

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I like the T-Mobile colours on a bike, not so much on the Team kit. Nice bike.
Old 09-05-13, 06:49 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Parlee after last night's Retul Fit...saddle raised an inch and moved forward an inch...I may be able to go to a non-setback post at this rate, at least I no longer need the 25mm setback on the Ritchey...which is only 300 mm length and right at the minimum insertion point now. Apparently my stem height should go no lower. Went for a short 25 mile test ride today to see how it felt, without HR monitor or anything else, to get a more seat of the pants sensing. It was subtle but felt noticeably easier to generate same general speed/power.

Here's the "before" from last week...almost the same backdrop and angle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.