Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bikedirect.com? The prices sound so good.....

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 01:17 AM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
Have anyone brought something from bikesdirect.com? The prices of the bike are very eye catching. If someone can give me some good feed backs on the site, I just might buy my bike from them instead of my local bike shop.
Old 11-16-11, 03:32 AM
Rancid

Bikes: Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly search is your friend. So much has been written about BD over the few years, but this is what I've picked up:

decent-good customer service, sometimes down right great CS
a fair amount of self-assembly
doesn't support LBS
no-name/bought-out brands build with decent components that make for a good deal

most people seem to be fans of the Moto CC's and the titanium one is a good deal
Old 11-16-11, 12:21 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've talked to quite a few people with BD bikes and they're happy with the decision.

Things I've been told to doublecheck if you buy one:

- Pull the bottom bracket and grease the threads properly. I'm told it's not well greased from the factory.
- Same with canti posts. One guy said his were bone dry.
- Pretty much anything grease-worthy, is what I've been told. Just yank it apart and re-grease it.
- Check torque specs and general tightness of things; don't trust that things were all set up properly at the factory and that things didn't rattle loose during shipping. It's just good practice, whether it's a BD bike or not.
Old 11-16-11, 12:29 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Local bike shop will fit you, and give you maintenance at reduced or no costs typically if you buy from them. Odds are they will also do a 2-3x markup on the bike since they are a brick and mortar shop, can't really blame them for that. If you aren't your own mechanic, probably your better choice.

BikesDirect, most people seem to be very happy going this route, it's hit or miss if your components will even be greased though, so account for checking/adjusting everything, the customer service is good but it also seems to take a while, so you may end up waiting on shipping times etc. If you are your own bike mechanic, probably a great route to choose.
Old 11-16-11, 07:45 PM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-16-11, 08:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
they will also do a 2-3x markup on the bike
Au Contrare,
LBS margin on bikes is just 30%.. 0.3x, not 300.
only accesories and small parts are 'Keysone' .. or margin is = to cost.
Old 11-16-11, 09:21 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Au Contrare,
LBS margin on bikes is just 30%.. 0.3x, not 300.
only accesories and small parts are 'Keysone' .. or margin is = to cost.
meh I can buy that profit ratio for the bikestore, but it's still more expensive by 2-3x for an equiv bike.
Old 11-16-11, 09:46 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
meh I can buy that profit ratio for the bikestore, but it's still more expensive by 2-3x for an equiv bike.
An LBS bike with components equivalent to a BD bike is not an equivalent bike.
Old 11-16-11, 11:32 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Last edited by RaleighSport; 11-16-11 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 11:41 PM
a1penguin

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
An LBS bike with components equivalent to a BD bike is not an equivalent bike.
Neither is the price. But components can be used on other frames. I like to support my LBS. And I really want to know that the bike I purchase is going to fit me well. If you are female, you may not like the fit of a bike decided for male shaped body.
Old 11-17-11, 12:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

still more expensive by 2-3x for an equiv bike.
What equiv to what, give firm examples to give a solidification to your statement.

Huffys and carbon Colnagos?

as a race beater?, cheap enough to bring 2 to ride them hard
and not care if you brake stuff, as you can grab the pit bike,

tear it down and rebuild it weekly, treat it as disposable
almost as if you were sponsored..

then they would have a niche..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-17-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-17-11, 12:29 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

I did a little more firm research and the difference comes down to somewhere around saving 300 off what would be a 1k bike, note that these are online prices. If you want to do a cross compare on bike shop prices directly, not special sales from last year etc and have a specific bike in mind that matches something on the lineup for BD directly I'd be glad to humor you to a degree. But Fiet, I'd rather you put your energy and expertise that I myself have relied on in the past into helping the OP not bickering with me about our personal purchasing views.
Old 11-17-11, 02:01 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
I would think that this discussion is relevant to the OP's question.

It's easier to compare components. There may be differences in opinion about SRAM vs. Shimano vs. Campagnolo, but the possibilities in the drivetrain components are relatively limited and easy to understand. It's much harder to compare one frame to another, but the frame is arguably one of the most important parts of the bike. So when comparing a Motobecane Fantom Cross to a Kona Jake the Snake (for instance), you should consider the frames.

But how do you compare frames? You can see that they both have double-butted aluminum frames and carbon forks. You read the geometry charts and try to make guesses as to what that means. Maybe you ask about weight. Those are good starting points, but there are other things that matter -- tube shape for instance. The Fantom Cross spec says that it has a "bi-axle" down tube. I assume this is meant to claim bi-axial, but I don't see it in the pictures -- maybe it does. I do see it on some of the other BD bikes (the Fantom Cross Outlaw, for instance). My Kona Jake has a bi-axial down tube it's visibly taller at the top and wider at the bottom. This has an impact on the bike's stiffness. Ultimately, I don't know if the quality of a frame can be judged remotely.

My impression is that the Bikes Direct frames are generally good, but not exceptional. If I may stretch an analogy, I'd say that the Fantom Cross, for instance, has a Tiagra-level frame. Like Tiagra components, there's nothing wrong with it. It's good. But perhaps it lacks the intangibles that make a frame great.
Old 11-17-11, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

saving 300 off what would be a 1k bike,
but,, that comes out as 30%,

If Mr.idontknow, is OK as his own service team . and is tooled up enough to do it , fine.

a parts pick comparison component by component
is needed to do an exact equivalency.

Tiagra-level frame.
but Shimano has nothing to do with the frame, it's a separate contractor.
they,just, manufacture the components screwed on to the bikes.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-17-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-17-11, 04:05 PM
Andy_K 

That's why I said it was an analogy.
Old 11-17-11, 04:07 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

but,, that comes out as 30%,

If Mr.idontknow, is OK as his own service team . and is tooled up enough to do it , fine.

a parts pick comparison component by component
is needed to do an exact equivalency.

The one bike I would love to have compared with a bikeshop one, no longer seems to be available on bikesdirect it was a 30 speed windsor falkirk ultegra I believe setup.. for 899 for that price I could care less if the frame broke when it got here
Old 11-17-11, 06:39 PM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._pro_ti_xi.htm
&
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ross_ti_xi.htm

Those two bikes caught my eyes, but it said you can put read racks on the bike....and there is no holes in the back, except for the disk brakes. What makes the Shimano Ultegra more expensive than the SRAM Rival?
Old 11-17-11, 06:48 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by Mr.IDontKnow
&

Those two bikes caught my eyes, but it said you can put read racks on the bike....and there is no holes in the back, except for the disk brakes. What makes the Shimano Ultegra more expensive than the SRAM Rival?
Buy them both, then you can just send me whichever one you don't like ROFLMAO.
Old 11-17-11, 06:49 PM
Abu Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the team ti about a month ago. I'm completely satisfied with it. I don't know why ultegra is more. I was willing to pay more because I like shimano ergonomics better.
Old 11-17-11, 06:53 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
&

The components for either bike would cost nearly as much as they're selling the bike for. For a ti frame. How good do you think that frame is?
Old 11-17-11, 07:38 PM
Andy_K 

The frame does have rear eyelets, they're just hiding in the picture. You can see them in the Bike Island picture gallery of the frame. If you ever intend to use disc brakes with a rack and/or fenders on that bike, the placement of the eyelet inside the disc tab might be a problem.

It's hard to compare Shimano vs. SRAM components directly and say which is better. A lot of it is the preference of shifting style. SRAM makes two component groups higher than Rival, while Shimano only has one group higher than Ultegra, so it's tempting to equate Rival with Shimano's 105 group. That has some basis in how the groups are positioned by their respective companies, and is therefore reflected in the cost.
Old 11-17-11, 08:25 PM
Mr.IDontKnow
ahhh i dont know

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a cheap guy, so most likely I would go for the SRAM Rival. SRAM Rival's shifters are double tap right?
Also I have thoughts of touring too, with 20 gears might be a bit hard...
I think I am complaining too much, I am just a 19 year old kid. haha

Last edited by Mr.IDontKnow; 11-17-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-18-11, 06:25 AM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...What makes the Shimano Ultegra more expensive than the SRAM Rival?
The guys at my shop told me as I was shopping for my latest that the groupsets from SRAM & Shimano aren't quite equal. The SRAM tends to be a half step above each Shimano group. That's not to diminish Shimano, I've used them for years, but small differences are what makes the groups different. Rival is a half step below Ultegra, yet a half step up from 105. Apex is a half step below 105. I'm sure you get the picture. The only other difference would be the branding. Shimano being the older, larger company and SRAM being the "younger", hungrier rival.
Old 11-18-11, 08:43 AM
Holden McNeil
Bicycle Hoarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddubal
The guys at my shop told me as I was shopping for my latest that the groupsets from SRAM & Shimano aren't quite equal. The SRAM tends to be a half step above each Shimano group. That's not to diminish Shimano, I've used them for years, but small differences are what makes the groups different. Rival is a half step below Ultegra, yet a half step up from 105. Apex is a half step below 105. I'm sure you get the picture. The only other difference would be the branding. Shimano being the older, larger company and SRAM being the "younger", hungrier rival.
I sell both SRAM & Shimano at a LBS and that is indeed the case. SRAM Apex, although found on some higher level bikes, is a step below 105.

That being said, and having substantial seat time with both Shimano and SRAM (Including RED), and I believe Shimano wins for everyday use. It's smooth, quiet, with better quality chains, and a more positive shifting feel. SRAM components are generally lighter at each component level and, for those of us with small hands, have a better hood design. Both component families have pros and cons and it ultimately comes down to personal preference and cost at the end of the day.
Old 11-18-11, 09:23 AM
Tundra_Man

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 194 Times in 124 Posts
FWIW, I own five bikes. My BD has my favorite frame of them all. So throw that chunk of anecdotal evidence on the information pile.

If you're comfortable with wrenching on your own bikes and know enough to properly size yourself, then BD can be a good value. For many people who neither have that ability or desire, an LBS is probably the better option. Also assuming they have the model and size bike you want in stock, most LBSs will allow you to test ride prior to purchase, a luxury not available through BD.

So obviously, you are giving up some benefits for the ~30% reduction in cost. Whether or not this is worth it is up to the individual to decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.