Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 07:28 AM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Veloflex Master 700x23c Clincher tires

https://cycling-passion.com/2012/09/0...tires-700x23c/

Last edited by ozgur.nevres; 11-11-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-11-12, 07:51 AM
kenmcchord

Bikes: 2006 specialized s-works Tarmac, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got an '05 Sworks that I am upgrading and rebuilding. just ordered the following on performance bike website (double points this weekend).

Dura Ace compact crank...

Dura Ace RD-7900 rear derailleur...

Dura Ace CS-7900 cassette, 11/28...

Dura Ace CN-7901 chain...

Dura Ace SM-BB7900 bottom bracket...

Shimano shift and brake cables and housings. That should do it, I was looking to get the compact crank on for a while, guess being over 50 I am tired of grinding the hills. I'm sure there will be some miscellaneous purchases to make to finish this repair up, but that should do it. BTW, the rear derailleur was necessary to get a cassette larger than a 25T to work.

I will be having wheels built for the bike, whenever I hear from PSIMET wheels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0017.jpg (96.7 KB, 68 views)
dura-ace_7900_crank.jpg (40.7 KB, 25 views)
sh79r1-1.jpg (21.8 KB, 23 views)
dura-ace_7900_cassette.jpg (32.9 KB, 25 views)
ICN7901116_440w.jpg (10.4 KB, 22 views)
sh79b-1.jpg (22.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-11-12, 08:08 AM
pkemp227

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought a new pair of 2012 mavic pro road shoes!!! Theyre the best shoes ive ever owned!
Old 11-11-12, 10:14 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenmcchord

Got an '05 Sworks that I am upgrading and rebuilding. just ordered the following on performance bike website (double points this weekend).

Dura Ace compact crank...

Dura Ace RD-7900 rear derailleur...

Dura Ace CS-7900 cassette, 11/28...

Dura Ace CN-7901 chain...

Dura Ace SM-BB7900 bottom bracket...

Shimano shift and brake cables and housings. That should do it, I was looking to get the compact crank on for a while, guess being over 50 I am tired of grinding the hills. I'm sure there will be some miscellaneous purchases to make to finish this repair up, but that should do it. BTW, the rear derailleur was necessary to get a cassette larger than a 25T to work.

I will be having wheels built for the bike, whenever I hear from PSIMET wheels!
No offense to pismit because he has a good reputation and builds good wheels. It just seems odd to me that you would drop A LOT of skrilla on a full dura ace set up and then choose pismit wheels as your choice. Again, no offense intended. That dura ace cassette retails for $300+
Old 11-11-12, 10:37 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park 15mm cone wrench for my brake mounts
Old 11-11-12, 11:03 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
No offense to pismit because he has a good reputation and builds good wheels. It just seems odd to me that you would drop A LOT of skrilla on a full dura ace set up and then choose pismit wheels as your choice. Again, no offense intended. That dura ace cassette retails for $300+
I agree with your statement but on the same topic but kinda off topic...Velo News did a wheel comparison of some very expensive wheels and threw PSIMETS in too. Although they didnt rate as high as the $2000+ wheels the author said some positive things about them

https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...chase_264284/2

For the record Im a "Boyd" kinda guy
Old 11-11-12, 12:10 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Curious... Individual riders and Teams are racing on Psimet wheels and winning on them. So what wheels do you deem "adequate" for this particular build?

Last edited by Drag; 11-11-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 02:01 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike F
I agree with your statement but on the same topic but kinda off topic...Velo News did a wheel comparison of some very expensive wheels and threw PSIMETS in too. Although they didnt rate as high as the $2000+ wheels the author said some positive things about them

https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...chase_264284/2

For the record Im a "Boyd" kinda guy
PSIMET shines when you need custom wheels. Boyds are fantastic built wheels at a hell of a price. With PSIMET you can build whatever you want and even use ENVE rims etc.

PSIMETs cyclocross wheel system is his main bread and butter in that industry right now.
Old 11-11-12, 07:59 PM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually the cassette was 189.99 and I chose it because I like the idea of titanium for those top four gears. I went with the dura ace because that's what I've currently got and I wanted to keep the bike consistent. Probably a lame excuse, but really the prices were not that bad (I got everything for around 900). Actually I pondered the idea of moving over to an Ultegra Di2 but it doubled the price of the dura ace stuff and that just seemed impractical.

I am certainly open to recommendations regarding wheels. I am still pretty new to working on my bike and this will be the first wheel build I've ever ordered. Truth is that I was just hoping to communicate with someone so that I could have wheels built for my specific needs (I weigh 203) and I saw good things written about PSIMET. What would you recommend? I am also interested in getting a power tap built into the hub, and I knew that PSIMET has that option.

Should be clear by now I don't have a lot of experience with this. Please, your recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-11-12, 08:09 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My most recent cycling-related purchase:
Old 11-11-12, 11:09 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
Curious... Individual riders and Teams are racing on Psimet wheels and winning on them. So what wheels do you deem "adequate" for this particular build?
Like I said, it isn't a matter of it not being "Adequate". Just surprising to see a FULL DA build and Psimet wheelset. As I said before, psimet wheels are good and have a good following/reputation. What I was emplying was that you have a top shelf "Name Brand" that every single cyclist has heard of with a wheelset that frankly isn't. Would be like if he had a full DA groupo matched with forte stem/bars and seatpost. All stuff that will work, some of which is fairly light and strong but considered to be a cheaper option among cyclists.

Ken, you have several choices but it depend on your budget or comfortable spending. You could spend a lot on enve, reynolds, williams or zipp wheels for a well known name brand OR if you wanted to go with wheels that I would personally put in the same catagory of great quality but not as well known....Boyd (My personal preference simply because I think they look the best out of this group), psimet, neuvation, september or soul. I know boyd and soul offer powertap, but sure about the others. when chosing from the secondary (not so name brand on the streets) group you just need to chose based on price and appearance. quality among them are all about equal.
Old 11-12-12, 08:06 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kenmcchord
I will be having wheels built for the bike, whenever I hear from PSIMET wheels! ....
wheelbuilder.com
Old 11-12-12, 08:09 AM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said, it isn't a matter of it not being "Adequate". Just surprising to see a FULL DA build and Psimet wheelset. As I said before, psimet wheels are good and have a good following/reputation. What I was emplying was that you have a top shelf "Name Brand" that every single cyclist has heard of with a wheelset that frankly isn't. Would be like if he had a full DA groupo matched with forte stem/bars and seatpost. All stuff that will work, some of which is fairly light and strong but considered to be a cheaper option among cyclists.

Ken, you have several choices but it depend on your budget or comfortable spending. You could spend a lot on enve, reynolds, williams or zipp wheels for a well known name brand OR if you wanted to go with wheels that I would personally put in the same catagory of great quality but not as well known....Boyd (My personal preference simply because I think they look the best out of this group), psimet, neuvation, september or soul. I know boyd and soul offer powertap, but sure about the others. when chosing from the secondary (not so name brand on the streets) group you just need to chose based on price and appearance. quality among them are all about equal.
Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. I've been cruising these builders websites and it seems that enve wheels are probably the best out there. That said I find the prices to be all about the same, right around $2300 for a wheel build with power tap (G3). What I guess I am confused with is that the Boyd wheels come in at the same price as enve when I priced them out at neuvation. So I guess the confusion is about where the savings is in the boyd wheels. Plus, I have a lot to think about here because I am not a racer, rather I'm a 52 year old guy that is enjoying cycling more and more. The power tap is something that I was hoping would help me improve my climbing ability, and I'm going to be "upping the ante" in 2013 by taking on more difficult hill rides (Mt. Mitchell in May, along with a Carmichael training camp in March).

So lots to think about. Thanks again for the recommendations!
ken
Old 11-12-12, 08:46 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So... why do you want deep carbon wheels if you are not racing?
The braking performance in the rain is horrible, they are not that light, they are very expensive, and handling them in the wind is a bear.

Apart from their esthetics, if you are not racing, there is little need. You can get a really good set of durable, light aluminum wheels (like a Hed Belgium or Velocity A23) with a powertap for a LOT less money.

I have a set of Zipps with a powertap that I bought for time trial races, and even thought they look great on my road bike, I barely used them on that this year - one race, a few training rides - since my alu. wheelset is so much more versatile and useable.
Old 11-12-12, 08:49 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The thing that you are focused on is aerodynamics and what other people will think about your equipment. PSIMET offers many options besides his own sourced carbon rims. His focus right now is on cyclocross where he has a really nice system. I love Boyd as much as you but sometimes someone needs something a little non standard.

I have all new Sram Red and hollowgram sisl w/praxis rings and PSIMET wheels on my bike and wouldn't want anything else right now. Not sure how name brand applies to the function of the equipment. I went with PSIMET because it was custom for what I wanted. My rims are the same rim as the Boyd Vitesse (Kinlin XC279) built with the same CX-ray spokes and brass nipples but with White Industries T11 hubs for a very minor price increase. The wheels are now Shimano 11 speed compatible for when I go Dura-ace Di2 11 speed. I am considering Boyd 58 wide tubulars when his new wheels come out next year for racing.
Old 11-12-12, 09:45 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
This should be fun.

Boyd is using the same open mold rims as I, Williams, neuvation, etc. We ALL have wide bodied rims "coming out" this year because the factory is finally getting around to making them available. Been on a set of wide bodied 38 prototypes for about a year now.

The Velo article - just to give people an indication of the timing involved in one of those - I built that set about 1.5 years ago. They rode them for 8 months. Then put them into the wind tunnel. Then wrote the article. We're now a generation of rims and hubs ahead of that article. .....and I haven't gotten that test set back yet.

Fwiw it led to a good conversation with Lennard Zinn while out in Colorado for USGP. I figured he wouldn't even remember me, but to the contrary he brought up those wheels, said he loved them, and said he had seen my car in the parking lot and was hoping to find me.

Now....this industry is kind of silly. I simply don't charge enough. For reference I sell setups that Boyd sells at 1 whole price point lower but it's because I don't brand some of the items. I have videos on my site that explain that I don't go for branding it if I didn't have a hand in making it.

Cross is a great market for me and the fastest growing market in the US for sure. More than that I have a huge passion for it. The rim I designed for cross is mine. Not open mold. No one has anything even remotely like it and yet because I only charge $1400 for people think something must be up.

There are WAY too many victories on my wheels to begin to list. Everyone who makes wheels has victories. Kind of goes with bike racing considering everyone has to ride on wheels. The thing is my reputation is from practical experience. Those racers who have been on my wheels know.

I don't go after a huge market share. I sell ENVE as my premium rim choice. What I sell is the premium build, the experience and knowledge, and the depth of racing experience along with the passion for the sport.

I don't pull punches. If you're using the wrong product for the wrong application I tell you. Like if you're using zipps for cross - you're a fool. They are road wheels. I have no trouble telling someone that I won't build the wheelsets they are asking for because it will be a poorly built set. I try to work with them and make concessions where possible and explain my reasons, but in the end if they really want that 20h rear on a Kinlin xr200 with DT revs for cross.....I walk away.

Back to the cross vs road. Yes cross is huge for me, but still only a small %overall. Road is still the big market so no...I am NOT living off of cross market.

So why bother to respond to all this? I get this feeling that BF crowds start to hate on people and brands they feel have "left them" for no reason. I have never left, but now I am sitting in front of a truing stand for 20 hrs a day instead of a desk at a real job. These same people were *****ing before that I needed to post less and work more. Fickle community.

There's plenty of work for all of us smaller guys. Every time I see or hear of someone buying a pre built set I cringe. They could have had a Boyd or Williams or psimet. Better values and better products. Buy them now before we start charging what they are really worth.

Old 11-12-12, 10:14 AM
kenmcchord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by valygrl
So... why do you want deep carbon wheels if you are not racing?
The braking performance in the rain is horrible, they are not that light, they are very expensive, and handling them in the wind is a bear.

Apart from their esthetics, if you are not racing, there is little need. You can get a really good set of durable, light aluminum wheels (like a Hed Belgium or Velocity A23) with a powertap for a LOT less money.

I have a set of Zipps with a powertap that I bought for time trial races, and even thought they look great on my road bike, I barely used them on that this year - one race, a few training rides - since my alu. wheelset is so much more versatile and useable.
You know you kind of hit the nail on the head here. I never intended for my original post of the DA upgrade equipment to spark a discussion about wheel builds, but I am glad it's gone here.

The carbon wheels were probably a vanity thing mostly, they just look so fast!

Really I've just been interested in finding a very good set of stiff and fast wheels that I can ride, and have a power tap. And the velocity A23 look like they would be a great choice for my needs. Again all I am looking for is a stiff, fairly light wheel with power tap. I currently have a set of Ksyriums that came with the sworks back in '05 and I am hoping to get wheels that are quicker and stiffer.

Thanks to everyone that has weighed in, I do appreciate the input.
Old 11-12-12, 10:17 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I 100% agree with you psimet. Please understand that I was not trying to cheapen your brand or work. I did make sure to mention that you do good work and have a good solid reputation.
Old 11-12-12, 10:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
....and I don't get to throw around all that money on my yacht on the weekends. Instead I do this:

Old 11-12-12, 10:44 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NWS Alpine
The thing that you are focused on is aerodynamics and what other people will think about your equipment. PSIMET offers many options besides his own sourced carbon rims. His focus right now is on cyclocross where he has a really nice system. I love Boyd as much as you but sometimes someone needs something a little non standard.

I have all new Sram Red and hollowgram sisl w/praxis rings and PSIMET wheels on my bike and wouldn't want anything else right now. Not sure how name brand applies to the function of the equipment. I went with PSIMET because it was custom for what I wanted. My rims are the same rim as the Boyd Vitesse (Kinlin XC279) built with the same CX-ray spokes and brass nipples but with White Industries T11 hubs for a very minor price increase. The wheels are now Shimano 11 speed compatible for when I go Dura-ace Di2 11 speed. I am considering Boyd 58 wide tubulars when his new wheels come out next year for racing.
That's not what I am focused on. If you read above in my statements I said they are all within the same catagory of quality. To me it comes down to looks. I could have done psimet, souls or September wheels but in the end the Boyd "logo" looked best to me. I could debadge the Boyd's and psimets and I probably wouldn't be able to know any different. I wasn't employing that anyone running DA on their bike should also be dropping $3k on zipp or enve wheels ti be taken seriously. I was just saying for Jen to go to the extreme of getting the chain, cassette and BB in DA when it really isn't a huge benefit over ultegra and spending double the amount to get it. People that drop the coin to do that USUALLY seem to go with a zipp or notible pre built wheel set (usually). Ken please dont let my comment derail you from thinking a wheelset from psimet or any other custom wheel build will do you wrong.
Old 11-12-12, 10:53 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Got this BLUE contour roam2 today!!!!

Old 11-12-12, 11:02 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires (240 studs per-tire). Hoping they'll keep my butt on the saddle instead of the icy pavement.
Old 11-12-12, 03:23 PM
coachboyd
Boyd Cycling owner

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
This should be fun.

Boyd is using the same open mold rims as I, Williams, neuvation, etc. We ALL have wide bodied rims "coming out" this year because the factory is finally getting around to making them available. Been on a set of wide bodied 38 prototypes for about a year now.
You are right on this currently, but wrong for the future. For next year we have three models of clincher and three models of tubulars coming out to where the mould has been developed by us and will be only ours. It's not the wider version of the open mould that will be released next year (where the shape of the rim is all wrong). And I am only calling you on this because I have had to look at WAY too many pictures of you recently in that tight Luna outfit. . .revenge Rob. . revenge :-)
Old 11-12-12, 06:38 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL! this is fun! keep it up!
Old 11-12-12, 07:49 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
We ALL have wide bodied rims "coming out" this year because the factory is finally getting around to making them available. Been on a set of wide bodied 38 prototypes for about a year now.
How wide are we talking, similar to Zipp wheels extreme wideness (almost 25mm for the 202s (32mm depth), over 26mm for the 303s (45mm depth), and just under 25mm for the 404s (58mm depth))?

Originally Posted by coachboyd
You are right on this currently, but wrong for the future. For next year we have three models of clincher and three models of tubulars coming out to where the mould has been developed by us and will be only ours. It's not the wider version of the open mould that will be released next year (where the shape of the rim is all wrong). And I am only calling you on this because I have had to look at WAY too many pictures of you recently in that tight Luna outfit. . .revenge Rob. . revenge :-)
details?

Last edited by FPSDavid; 11-12-12 at 07:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.