Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

General Deterioration of These Forums

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 06:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
"The Alps are not steep"

Compared to sustained gradients of 15-20% in England, Wales, Scotland and many places where their miners settled in Appalachia.

https://cyclinguphill.com/british-hi...alps-pyrenees/
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-15-21, 06:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The OP’s grand departure post a couple of weeks ago.
I guess he was so hurt and upset that he just couldn’t stay away.
A quick look at his profile shows him continually referencing the post history and post counts of a lot of BF members.
As he has only started six threads in his eleven years on the boards it appears that he mainly just spends his time on BF creeping profiles and counting posts.
Good stuff for someone throwing stones
You expect rational thought from an Ayn Rand fanboy?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-15-21, 07:04 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
This thread has started to open my eyes a bit to the reality we live in. Never understood how teenagers kill themselves over being "bullied" on social media, but now I am beginning to see it.
The inability to distinguish between reality and virtual reality is becoming blurred for some of those teens, and as demonstrated in this thread, for adults as well. Internet forums are not "reality", forum members are not your "friends". Your friends come to your house and have face to face conversations, hang out with you and generally speaking are involved in your daily living. That is reality.

This is an internet forum, and as such it is not real, it is simply a group of people with an unusual interest in cycling that have formed a "social" network in a virtual reality world. We really don't know each other other than what we "talk" about on line in this forum. I am certain there are exceptions, as some of the forum members may actually hang out with each other during the course of the week.

Simply put, keep things in perspective, choose to engage in reading a thread or not, but to get upset over comments made is a bit weird to me.
Of course, those that know me know I am weird myself!
Old 11-15-21, 07:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry, not a democracy. We members don't have a vote. Use the ignore feature. I do agree that it would be nice to have a feature that would make selected threads disappear entirely. Be helpful for most polls and "how much? how many? do you?" threads.
^ this guy knows as much as anyone it isnt a democracy and members don't have a vote.

related note- I have been banned from one of the forums because I got into it with mods over the creation of it and how inconsistently they were applying the rule of moving threads to it. The forum has proven to not be popular, as expected, and eventually one main thread was moved back to it's original forum, where it should have been all along.
I also am well aware this place isn't a democracy. There certainly are other more accurate terms to describe how the site is run.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-21, 07:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Internet forums are not "reality", forum members are not your "friends". Your friends come to your house and have face to face conversations, hang out with you and generally speaking are involved in your daily living. That is reality.

This is an internet forum, and as such it is not real, it is simply a group of people with an unusual interest in cycling that have formed a "social" network in a virtual reality world. We really don't know each other other than what we "talk" about on line in this forum.
Post this in the c&v forum and watch as you receive countless examples that counter your narrative. And statistically, that forum trends older, so people who didn't grow up with the internet as a dominant communication tool.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-21, 07:48 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
There are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.
Report posts which violate the forum rules and use the Ignore function for those whom you feel contribute nothing beneficial.

Forum admins aren't going to have time to read every thread looking for who contributes and who does not.
Old 11-15-21, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
^^Speak of the devil.^^

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-15-21 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-21, 08:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I have 27 screen names on my ignore list. I wonder on how many of others' lists I'd find myself. Interesting to ponder.
I would actually be embarrassed to be on any ignore lists. I would think others would be as well.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-15-21, 08:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I would actually be embarrassed to be on any ignore lists. I would think others would be as well.
I'm certain that I have offended more than one BF member, and am likely on a dozen or so ignore lists.

King Solomon wrote: "When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise."
Old 11-15-21, 09:12 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Blame it on whatever you want to. I live in the greater Richmond Virginia Metro area. We had 2 incidents in the past week of people showing up at major outdoor functions with prominent F (the president) signs on display. One was at the Veteran's Day celebration at the Memorial. The other was on the Richmond Half Marathon route on Saturday. That's just not a good look no matter what words or whose names are listed behind the obscenity. Show a little decorum, people.

Last edited by seypat; 11-15-21 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-15-21, 09:12 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Actually, there's one person I wish would put me on his ignore list. He's on mine but he still responds to my posts with his usual trolling comments.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-15-21, 09:23 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Might have been around 40x which got me banned for over-reporting.
I am certain I have reported more than 40 posts in my day. I have even gotten thanks for reporting posts. Guessing it was something else about your behavior.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-21, 09:29 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
“Can’t we all just get along?” -Rodney King

”This town needs an enema.” -The Joker

“I choose…BOTH!” -Towlie
Old 11-15-21, 09:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Depends who’s list it is

It does seem to be a little worse here lately, and it does tend to be a small group of usual suspects. But I think this comes and goes.
Old 11-15-21, 10:02 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My experience with other cycling forums has actually been quite similar, so it's not exactly unique to BF. I'm still looking out for a more balanced cycling forum and this isn't it!
Expectation too high... We're talkin 'people'/humanoids, not elephants....
'Balance' is also a matter of perspective... but is always a 'mix'. You'll get 'pragmatic', touchy/feely, obnoxious, mellow, snarky, considerate, and every other level of 'content' that a human can generate. Some posters tend to be more consistent in each of these 'types'...
I have been on here for some years, left for some years, and now back for some months... It's pretty much the same... some of the forums are very supportive (50+) and informative in many ways, some are very informative & supportive (C&V), some are informative with an 'image' to uphold (Road) and some find 'contention' just suits their comfort...
At the moment I have no need to use an 'Ignore' list - that's easily accomplished in my mind....
ALL posts are 'opinion', how one presents that opinion colors how others will view ALL of your contributions, even the one which might be 'worthy' of consideration.
some only post 'contention' to other posts - they're very obvious...
I've gotten some great info in the forums I visit - and tend to 'filter' quickly and move on...
Sometimes I go to other forums to learn more about areas of cycling I'm mostly ignorant of... need to apply same filtering.
My Opinion - The need to personally attack another, on such a remote connection, is a manifestation of a very low self-image, or an extreme hyperbolization of self.
sort of like politics...
Be Calm, Be Real, Move On...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - BTW, this 'condition' applies to ALL the forums I've ever spend/spent time in... Ski, Outdoors, Hockey, Photography, and on.... LOL!
its endemic, prolly genetic.... LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 11-15-21 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-15-21, 10:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Lots of good stuff on the BF forums and far more than desired amounts of garbage, though I'll admit 'garbage' is subjective. Lots of trolls..and I think they are tolerated a bit too much. Sadly, many of the same people (that often post good content) chime in with predictable frequency and keep the trolls well fed with more 'replies' to inane topics, concepts, or statements. On the occasions when I do click on a (obviously useless) thread to see what all the commotion is about, more than a few times I've said to myself (about those replying that do offer good content on a reasonably regular basis) "..come on buddy..you're better than this..". And yet..things don't seem to change...trolls are seldom anything but fat and happy. Unfortunate.

As time goes on I find I have less patience with the adolescents (which, apparently, range from actual 20-30 y/o adolescents to some in the 50s & 60s) and hit the 'ignore' button with increasing frequency. I'm up to 62 on that list now..and climbing. The list helps to make BF a better place. I wish there was a way to make entire threads disappear (to me) as inane threads often grind on for weeks..with about 98% of the content being a complete waste of good electrons.

One place I find BF really shines is when I do research on various topics. A big thanks! to BF for keeping historical threads available...even though the occasional new member dredges up a zombie thread from 2006 to make an insightful(1st post) comment like.."hey..I saw a bike like that once" (after which the thread takes off for a while with comments seldom related to the original thread)...and life goes on..

Last edited by fishboat; 11-17-21 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-15-21, 10:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Except for a few, I think most people post something that they cringe about down the road.

I know I will stumble across an old thread and read something and think, what a jerk, only to find out I posted it. At which point I’ll become critical of my spelling errors… lol.

Overall I think BF is pretty tame compared to other forums. Any major sport fan base forum far surpasses anything here. But being a bit more civil is a good thing.

The one positive, if anyone else sees it the same way, is that there are responses. I’ve seen forums that just run their course and a thread just languish and the site slowly dies off.

For me is pretty much just fun, sometimes making fun is an issue I have. Everyone says stupid stuff and if I don’t want to read it or don’t agree I don’t need a button to ignore it. The following week that same person might say something I agree with.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-15-21, 10:33 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Putting offensive people on an ignore list would rob me of the entertainment I derive from reading their self-owning posts.
Old 11-15-21, 10:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
And your reason WHY people can’t be decent to one another? Just because it is the internet, is unacceptable. People can be decent IF they chose to be. It is a choice. I find your defense of aberrant behavior just contributing to it. Of course you are entitled to your thoughts just like everyone else but you are not helping the situation, just justifying it. There is zero defense for acting rudely or supporting it because it just ‘is’.
I didn't say people couldn't be decent to one another, I am simply stating we are on the internet, we are all anonymous beings talking purely in text and emotional icons and that internet is a cold place for the reasons described. It is not aberrant behavior it is just the nature of the internet. If someone say comes onto a forum to troll or to say something like "what bike is this" and stop there for little to no information of course you will get people saying something. We don't need to fawn over everyone and we can be honest here. If you have been able to create and account and start a post chances are you are mature enough to understand how to ask a question properly and get help if you really need it. Otherwise people might say something.
Old 11-15-21, 11:17 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
And your reason WHY people can’t be decent to one another? Just because it is the internet, is unacceptable. People can be decent IF they chose to be. It is a choice. I find your defense of aberrant behavior just contributing to it. Of course you are entitled to your thoughts just like everyone else but you are not helping the situation, just justifying it. There is zero defense for acting rudely or supporting it because it just ‘is’.
Interesting advice from someone that just suggested an enema two days ago in a weight weenie thread.

If you are really concerned about weight, give yourself an enema before you head out, if you are able to head out after that.
How decent of you
​​​​​​​
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-15-21, 11:23 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I sure hope this thread doesn’t revert into everyone searching the archives trying to find something someone posted.

If you want to really see BF deteriorate, that would do it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-15-21, 11:27 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I sure hope this thread doesn’t revert into everyone searching the archives trying to find something someone posted.

If you want to really see BF deteriorate, that would do it.

John
Yeah.
After numerous people claim that the forums are being dragged down by rude and uncivil posts why would anyone want to spend about 30 seconds to point out the rude and uncivil posts by those same people
Good stuff.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-15-21, 11:52 AM
indyfabz

Yeah.
After numerous people claim that the forums are being dragged down by rude and uncivil posts why would anyone want to spend about 30 seconds to point out the rude and uncivil posts by those same people
Good stuff.
I don't know if it still is, but brining up what others have written in other threads used to be considered "harassment." A complete prohibition against that never made any sense to me, but BITD I got a least one infraction for doing so. In the one instance I remember some troll had made two different posts close in time in two different threads that could not have been more diametrically opposed to each other. I pointed it out and got dinged.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-15-21, 12:04 PM
70sSanO

Yeah.
Good stuff.
Good question. Why would anyone spend any time, whether 30 seconds or 30 minutes, looking at archived posts?

It seems a bit creepy to me.

John
Old 11-15-21, 12:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Good question. Why would anyone spend any time, whether 30 seconds or 30 minutes, looking at archived posts?

It seems a bit creepy to me.

John
I think you missed the sarcasm.

In answer: To point out something like hypocrisy.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.