Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 10:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
OH Yeah like I can do that, who do you think I am Abby Sciuto?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-09-13, 02:46 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OH Yeah like I can do that, who do you think I am Abby Sciuto?
Ok, here you go, BG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SAM_6555a.jpg (72.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-10-13, 09:54 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
1995 Bianchi EL?

Picked this up in recently-it is a European model. Model ID help is appreciated. Previous owner said he bought it new in 1995. It has no model name on the frame It is a number hangar bike, but no Columbus decals other than on the fork-owner said it didn't have any other stickers when new. It has Chorus group, with black Bianchi panto 3TTT stem. Bars are 3TTT. I put the wheels in the pictures on it until I get some tires on the Mavic SUPs that were on it. Can't wait for the sun to appear so I can take it for a ride. Bianchi stamped BB has following #s, SN is A955 on the far right with the digit 6 standing alone near the center and marked 59CM on the left of the BB.

Attached Images
DSC06359.jpg (104.8 KB, 681 views)
DSC06360.jpg (103.1 KB, 351 views)
DSC06362.jpg (97.1 KB, 349 views)
DSC06365.jpg (102.8 KB, 350 views)
Old 03-10-13, 02:37 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Interesting bike. It is hard to determine just that the tubing is without knowing more. I know the SLX/SPX and TSX tubes you can look for the rifling but EL and Genius I have no idea. Bianchi USA seems to be speccing EL-OS for the '95 model year but what was offered in Europe I have no idea. The number tab is interesting and could mean it is a team bike but a Pro/ ProAm or straight Amateur who is to say.

Here in the states a frame like this would have been from the Reparto Corse collection and they usually do not have model names but are simply identified by frame material and group. TSX Chorus, SBX Veloce, Genius Record and the like.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-10-13, 02:53 PM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Would the tubing diameter possibly provide a lead to type of tubing?
Old 03-10-13, 05:02 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

It may but might only point to EL-OS. is the tubing round? Any ovalizing or odd shapes?

OH what is that on the HT? is that one of those cable guides that mount via the lower cup?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-23-13, 08:57 PM
sc02ma

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings Bianchi Gurus,

I have a vintage Bianchi that I don't ride anymore. I've had a few people expressed interested in it, but I don't know how much it's worth.

Can you help me by telling me....
1. What year and model it is?
2. An estimate of how much it's worth?

Thanks!
Attached Images
1-IMG_1267.jpg (103.3 KB, 669 views)
2-IMG_1268.jpg (80.3 KB, 355 views)
3-IMG_1269.jpg (82.3 KB, 361 views)
4-IMG_1270.jpg (80.0 KB, 357 views)
5-IMG_1271.jpg (84.7 KB, 358 views)
6-IMG_1272.jpg (93.6 KB, 356 views)
7-IMG_1273.jpg (83.8 KB, 347 views)
Old 03-24-13, 07:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Judging from the tubing it looks like a lower end model from the mid '80s. Is the bike in the US?

How about some more info on the components?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-25-13, 09:55 AM
T-Mar

Well, it's definitely 1985, however the chrome fork and Hi-Mn PG tubeset doesn't match anything in the USA catalog. It would appear to be a foreign model. It's definitely Japanese manufacture and based on other samples, the Japanese built models don't seem to surface in Europe. It's a pretty close match for the 1984 Canadian market Bianchi Bici II so it may be the 1985 version.
Old 03-25-13, 04:39 PM
sc02ma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canadian Bianchi Bici II?

Well, I'm from Canada, so the canadian version could make sense. How much should I ask for it? I was thinking $200 or so.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Well, it's definitely 1985, however the chrome fork and Hi-Mn PG tubeset doesn't match anything in the USA catalog. It would appear to be a foreign model. It's definitely Japanese manufacture and based on other samples, the Japanese built models don't seem to surface in Europe. It's a pretty close match for the 1984 Canadian market Bianchi Bici II so it may be the 1985 version.
Old 03-25-13, 05:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OH Canadian eh? Well it is a pretty lowend model and a big one. I would ask $200 but be prepared to take closer to $150. Is it clean tuned and ready to ride all summer?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-25-13, 09:03 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
...I would ask $200 but be prepared to take closerto $150. Is it clean tuned and ready to ride all summer?
Unless you're in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, in which case you should be able to easily get the $200 fairly easily, provided it is in ready ro ride condition.
Old 04-23-13, 10:05 AM
atasker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I just signed up to these forums, I think I can learn a lot here!

I have this bike that I am trying to identify - I believe it may be a Bianchi, but after reading all these posts about serial numbers, mine don't seem to match at all. S/N is M4K55554.

If not Bianchi, who else makes a bike with such similar lugs and seat stay? By the way, none of the other parts on the bike are original and I can't see anything else stamped on the bike.

Here are some pics, any input is greatly appreciated!

https://i33.tinypic.com/v3nhhi.jpg
https://i38.tinypic.com/vh8hua.jpg
https://i35.tinypic.com/15ogqrk.jpg
https://i35.tinypic.com/1ph1sj.jpg
Old 04-23-13, 10:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Unless it is of Japanese (or the Orient in general) origin I would say it is not a Bianchi, even then I think a frame old enough to have over the BB routed cables and nutted brakes brakes would still have some sort of Bianchi or B cartouche on the frame

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-25-13, 11:30 PM
bespoke27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csbandi
Hi All and greetings from Hungray.
I would really appreciate your help guys. I am planing to buy my first Bianchi on the weekend but I am a bit worried about the origin of the bike. I know it should be a letter B on the fork but actually there are a letter S on it. Its just one thing but could explain everything. Has anybody seen a Bianchi fork with a letter S on it?
Many thanks
Bandi
Interestingly I believe this this exact frame has made its way to Australia, and i have some questions about it too.

If you look at this link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/studiob...7629534374625/

It appears to be an identical frame, right down to the colour, the only difference is the 'S' logo on the fork crown (which looks identical) and the seat stays. Also the chromed chain stay. It seems odd that the lugs, fork crown and many other details are exactly the same as the 748 in that link.

At this point i do not mind what it is, It appears to be a good quality frame, and i am very happy with what i paid for it. It will be stripped down have the drop outs changed and become a single speed anyway. (already has 120mm rear spacing) I am just interested to know if anyone has any answers.

Has the serial 9B03942 stamped on the top lug on the head tube. Gipiemme drop outs front and rear.

More pics of my frame here : https://jpegbay.com/gallery/002481704-.html#1

Thanks in advance,

Michael.
Old 04-26-13, 03:24 AM
Joope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!
I restored this old bianchi, but iīm curious what model it is? I would say itīs from the mid 70īs, but whatīs the exact manufacturing year and model?
Hereīs a pic, the pedals seen in the pic arenīt original campagnolo, but it had nuovo record pedals, which iīm giving a clean at the moment. When I got it, it had a suede leather saddle which has a made in italy stamp in the bottom.
Attached Images
biankki.jpg (105.7 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Joope; 04-26-13 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-26-13, 09:38 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by atasker
Hi! I just signed up to these forums, I think I can learn a lot here!

I have this bike that I am trying to identify - I believe it may be a Bianchi, but after reading all these posts about serial numbers, mine don't seem to match at all. S/N is M4K55554.

If not Bianchi, who else makes a bike with such similar lugs and seat stay? By the way, none of the other parts on the bike are original and I can't see anything else stamped on the bike.

Here are some pics, any input is greatly appreciated!
I can't tell you what brand it is but the serial number is consistent with a 1984 Merida manufactured frame. Merida manufactured for numerous brands, the most notable being Raleigh. I've been tracking Bianchi serial numbers for several years now and have never seen that serial number format on a known Bianchi.
Old 04-26-13, 09:51 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bespoke27
Interestingly I believe this this exact frame has made its way to Australia, and i have some questions about it too.... Has the serial 9B03942 stamped on the top lug on the head tube. Gipiemme drop outs front and rear....
This is very interesting. The Gipemme dropouts would be consistent with Italian manufacture and that is the Bianchi serial number format. The location indicates a 1970s model and taken into consideration with the coding, would indicate 1979. Zeta came out in 1978 so that's consistent. So it looks like it was manufactured by Bianchi. The question is why does it have S embossing but a Bianchi head decal? I could see Bianchi contract manufacturing frames for other brands, but they would not have the Binchi decal. Normally, I would question the origniality of the head decal but now two have surfaced, so it appears it may be legitimate. The only other thing that I can suggest is that the S embossing may somehow be tied in with the importer/distributor but I don't really know.
Old 04-26-13, 10:21 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Joope
Hi!
I restored this old bianchi, but iīm curious what model it is? I would say itīs from the mid 70īs, but whatīs the exact manufacturing year and model?
Hereīs a pic, the pedals seen in the pic arenīt original campagnolo, but it had nuovo record pedals, which iīm giving a clean at the moment. When I got it, it had a suede leather saddle which has a made in italy stamp in the bottom.
Yes, it does appear to be 1970s based on the decals. I also see what I believe is the 1973-1974 Campione del Mondo on the top of the sesat tube, indicating no earlier than late 1973. The rear derailleur appears to be Nuovo Gran Sport which also came out in the fall of 1973. In the mid-1970s the model with Nuovo Gran Sport was called the Speciale. However, it does not have the Valentino front derailleur and 3-pin gran Sport crank typical of the Speciale for this period. Circa 1979 Campagnolo expanded the group and brought out a Gran Sport 5-arm crankset and parallelogram front derailleur which this has but it does not have the Gran Sport sidepull brakes. So, I'm not sure if this a 1979 or an earlier, upgraded model. Regardless, the serial number, which should be located on the collar on the top head lug, should tell us the exact year.
Old 04-26-13, 01:29 PM
Joope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rear derailleur is nuovo record, not gran sport. And yes, it has a campione del mondo sticker. The cranks are super record I think? 00.5.89 is what i found on the head lug.
The bottom bracket, wheel hubs and dropouts are campagnolo too, stem, handlebar and the original seatpost are 3ttt, maybe this will help idetifying the bike?

Last edited by Joope; 04-26-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 05:24 PM
bespoke27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
This is very interesting. The Gipemme dropouts would be consistent with Italian manufacture and that is the Bianchi serial number format. The location indicates a 1970s model and taken into consideration with the coding, would indicate 1979. Zeta came out in 1978 so that's consistent. So it looks like it was manufactured by Bianchi. The question is why does it have S embossing but a Bianchi head decal? I could see Bianchi contract manufacturing frames for other brands....
Thanks for the quick reply T-Mar,

I agree with all of that, however, i believe there is still only 1. i think i have purchased the very frame the guy from Hungary was talking about. 1 -I purchased it from Hungary, and 2 - the Zeta decal is damaged in exactly the same way. The modern decals have been removed. Is there any other information i can give you to help identify it? any idea what the 'S' could stand for? I've done a bit of research into Italian companies starting with 'S' but no luck yet.
Old 04-26-13, 06:39 PM
coastiescott

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBX Frame

I recently purchased this bianchi of eBay, it has SBX tubing as seen in the picture, although it looks almost identical to the 92/93 TSX frames seen earlier in this thread, it came with a non-matching chrome lugged fork which I'd like to replace. apparently a unicrown fork would probably be appropriate but I much prefer the sling of a sloping lugged fork, what are your thoughts on that? Also very curious what the difference is between SBX and TSX...
I can't seem to get the picture to load, I'll try from another device momentarily
Old 04-26-13, 06:49 PM
coastiescott

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and the SN. is 57C1493, I wish that made it a 93 but I know it isn't that easy...
Attached Images
image.jpg (101.2 KB, 347 views)
image.jpg (93.9 KB, 350 views)
image.jpg (100.0 KB, 348 views)
image.jpg (99.6 KB, 345 views)
Old 04-26-13, 06:55 PM
T-Mar

Not sure on the SBX designation but I'm guessing it's a combination of SLX and SPX with heavier gauge SPX in the downtube and chainstays to stiffen up the bottom even more. Bianchi called these mix gauges Supersets. Hopefully, BG has a definitive answer.

Edit: We just don't have enough data on the Reparto Corse frames to have figured things out. It doesn't help that seem to used several different formats. Again, hopefully BG can narrow things down based on the SBX tubes.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-26-13 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 07:01 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by bespoke27
Thanks for the quick reply T-Mar...I've done a bit of research into Italian companies starting with 'S' but no luck yet.
I know about a handful or so Italian brands that start with an S but all are high end. This is most likely a private label brand for some large Italian bicycle shop or chain store and I have virtually no background in that area. Sorry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.