Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 10:15 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t know about you guys, but spring is when I tend to excel when the temps are cooler. 65 to 70 degrees is optimal. Mid 70s and higher I tend to sweat, and cooling takes away from power output. The same can be said about Fall, when I have had the summer to keep my conditioning and then can push it again.
60-75 & dry without wind is my sweet spot.
Old 04-15-24, 04:54 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Maybe all that Zone 2 is paying off?

Nice photo of your boat out on the end of the dock. You know, if you built a larger dock in front of your house across the water you could just moor your boat closer to your house!
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 04-15-24, 06:19 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I don’t know about you guys, but spring is when I tend to excel when the temps are cooler. 65 to 70 degrees is optimal. Mid 70s and higher I tend to sweat, and cooling takes away from power output. The same can be said about Fall, when I have had the summer to keep my conditioning and then can push it again.

One fun thing happened on yesterday’s ride. I passed two guys probably in mid 30s to early 40s who were doing about 18 MPH. I was in the low 20s - but found an up and down stretch of 3 miles where I would bounce up to near 30 while going through a series of curves. All of a sudden the two guys I had passed about 5 minutes earlier (and they were big guys about 180-190 Lbs) came blazing by passing me. They chased me from who knows where. However when we got to the next climb - about 4%, I was able to pass them. After the pass it was time to turn off and cross the bridge to Seattle.
I'd say late summer/early fall. If I have a cycling superpower, it's that I tend to thrive in the heat...some of my more decisive racing triumphs have come in triple-digit events that everyone else was struggling with. During the summer, I'm able to spend all day out in the sun, climbing multiple big Sierra passes. I do that all summer and I swear it feels like I unlocked some cheat code to riding. I can carry that through most of fall, but eventually cold temps get the best of me.

As someone who lives and rides in the snow for almost 1/2 the year, you'd think I'd like cold weather...but nope. I struggle at putting down reliable power at anything below the low 50s. I prefer anything in the 70-80 range, but can handle much higher...my endurance does drop off near 100. Although my 2-6 hour power PRs last year came in a mountainous gravel race that topped out in the upper 90s. If it drops down into the 60s, it makes it hard to be comfortable on some of the more mountainous local rides. I can be comfortable on the climbs, but then my muscles get cold on the descents.

Funny about playing cat and mouse with those 2 guys...kinda reminds me of when I was out on a gravel ride last year. I just had gotten onto the road after bushwhacking through a gravel roads that turned to single track, and then virtually disappeared. I was totally Fredded out on the gravel bike, MTB shorts, T shirt, and my USWE hydro pack. Anyway, once on the flat part of the paved road, a dude with some city cycling club kit on a newish C-dale SuperSix blows past me. I was just out sightseeing, so I didn't even think I'd see him again...until I got to the climb. The only reason I even remember it was that he was kind of a dick. I tried to exchange pleasantries with him when it was my turn to pass...I failed to see the airpod in his ear, so he took it out and responded with a "WHAT!?" Me: "Nothing, enjoy your ride!"
Old 04-15-24, 06:25 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Easy-ish ride for today, as I'm "tapering" for the big XC race at Sea Otter this week. Nailed the golden ratio on a local loop that had 43 miles and 4300' of gain, at a low-for-me wattage.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-15-24, 08:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I'd say late summer/early fall. If I have a cycling superpower, it's that I tend to thrive in the heat...some of my more decisive racing triumphs have come in triple-digit events that everyone else was struggling with. During the summer, I'm able to spend all day out in the sun, climbing multiple big Sierra passes. I do that all summer and I swear it feels like I unlocked some cheat code to riding. I can carry that through most of fall, but eventually cold temps get the best of me.

As someone who lives and rides in the snow for almost 1/2 the year, you'd think I'd like cold weather...but nope. I struggle at putting down reliable power at anything below the low 50s. I prefer anything in the 70-80 range, but can handle much higher...my endurance does drop off near 100. Although my 2-6 hour power PRs last year came in a mountainous gravel race that topped out in the upper 90s. If it drops down into the 60s, it makes it hard to be comfortable on some of the more mountainous local rides. I can be comfortable on the climbs, but then my muscles get cold on the descents.

Funny about playing cat and mouse with those 2 guys...kinda reminds me of when I was out on a gravel ride last year. I just had gotten onto the road after bushwhacking through a gravel roads that turned to single track, and then virtually disappeared. I was totally Fredded out on the gravel bike, MTB shorts, T shirt, and my USWE hydro pack. Anyway, once on the flat part of the paved road, a dude with some city cycling club kit on a newish C-dale SuperSix blows past me. I was just out sightseeing, so I didn't even think I'd see him again...until I got to the climb. The only reason I even remember it was that he was kind of a dick. I tried to exchange pleasantries with him when it was my turn to pass...I failed to see the airpod in his ear, so he took it out and responded with a "WHAT!?" Me: "Nothing, enjoy your ride!"
Interesting about your superpowers in high heat. In my 30s I loved high temps too. 90s and low 100s had zero effect on me. In fact I really enjoyed it when after a long hard ride - I would come home with clothes encrusted in salt and still have energy to do more. It was just weird that I could do 70-80 miles at 8/10s in the heat and have plenty of power left over. I have tried to recapture those days but physiologically I am stymied. Having knocked myself out last summer in the mid 90s and having a dizziness episode towards the end of the ride was a real downer, so I go for it now - and do the hard workout indoors in AC when it is hot. Problem solved.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-15-24, 08:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts

One fun thing happened on yesterday’s ride. I passed two guys probably in mid 30s to early 40s who were doing about 18 MPH. I was in the low 20s - but found an up and down stretch of 3 miles where I would bounce up to near 30 while going through a series of curves. All of a sudden the two guys I had passed about 5 minutes earlier (and they were big guys about 180-190 Lbs) came blazing by passing me. They chased me from who knows where. However when we got to the next climb - about 4%, I was able to pass them. After the pass it was time to turn off and cross the bridge to Seattle.
My sweet spot is 70 to 80 with light to no winds, maybe 10 or less as we always have wind here. It takes me about 2 weeks to get back into the hot and humid game once the temps start to rise, or 2 rounds of mowing, which once summer rolls around at the end of April or early May, I am typically mowing 2 times a week as the afternoon rains kick off the growing season. My wife gets on me about mowing at the 3 pm time frame when it is generally the hottest point of the day, but I use it as resistance building so If I can survive 1.5 to 2.5 hours doing yard work, I can handle 3 to 4 hours riding the bike in the same temps and humidity.

I got in 29 miles and 2.1K of climbing after a long work day. I need to find a new job that offers me a better work\life balance.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-16-24, 03:52 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 20 Posts
A bit late but rode 9.4 miles on 4/15/2024. Only been back on bike and am already seeing results as my ability to ride more increases
Likes For rdf37:
Old 04-16-24, 03:48 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Today I rode 26 miles.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-16-24, 03:53 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
37 miles, 52F, the temps are starting to feel like spring season!
Old 04-16-24, 05:04 PM
rdf37

5.8 today and a flat tire from a defective valve. Got it fixed and sealed and made it home. Fun ride
rdf37
Likes For rdf37:
Old 04-16-24, 05:13 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I almost feel bad coming here posting my measly 10 miles ride this morning. 2nd day back on the bike this spring. Giving my new drivetrain some shakedown runs.
Likes For bald1der:
Old 04-16-24, 08:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Post work 24.6 miles, 1.9K is ascent, which has some really stupid 26% sections, I chose my route poorly today.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-16-24, 09:27 PM
Sierra_rider

No miles for me today. Knocked out some yard work, tore off part of my dilapidated deck, and mostly tackled the last of my side work out in the shop. I was actually dying to go for a ride, but common sense says I should get a couple of rest days ahead of a big race day. Tomorrow is our local Wednesday night XC race, I'm going to do my part to keep that race "easy." I'm really trying to go into Friday's race on top form.

Originally Posted by bald1der
I almost feel bad coming here posting my measly 10 miles ride this morning. 2nd day back on the bike this spring. Giving my new drivetrain some shakedown runs.
No judgment here, that's 10 miles better than no miles.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-17-24, 06:00 AM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
No miles for me today. Knocked out some yard work, tore off part of my dilapidated deck, and mostly tackled the last of my side work out in the shop. I was actually dying to go for a ride, but common sense says I should get a couple of rest days ahead of a big race day. Tomorrow is our local Wednesday night XC race, I'm going to do my part to keep that race "easy." I'm really trying to go into Friday's race on top form.

No judgment here, that's 10 miles better than no miles.

That's how I'm looking at it. And today is my yard day, so no miles for me today. But I will definitely get my steps in.
Likes For bald1der:
Old 04-17-24, 06:50 AM
rdf37

Originally Posted by bald1der
Don’t!!!! A ride is a ride short or long! Take it from me after I was off bike for almost nine years from an accident. I was more satisfied a few weeks ago with a 6mile ride than any of my century’s when I rode in the past. Just rude and don’t worry about “keepin up with the jones” or “ I rode more than you” people
Likes For rdf37:
Old 04-17-24, 09:26 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
It was pouring this morning when I had to commute, so I took the cage to work. :-(

However, I am planning to scout the route for my club's inaugural Wednesday Night Ride. (20-30 miles) Gonna be a 20 mph wind gusting to 35, though. I may throw a folding eBike in the trunk and drive to the starting point and do it with that, or else I'll be finishing the ride in the dark on county roads.

Advice?
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-17-24, 10:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
37 miles, 52F, the temps are starting to feel like spring season!
Not 100?! Slacker.

Old 04-17-24, 10:46 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Smaug1
It was pouring this morning when I had to commute, so I took the cage to work. :-(

However, I am planning to scout the route for my club's inaugural Wednesday Night Ride. (20-30 miles) Gonna be a 20 mph wind gusting to 35, though. I may throw a folding eBike in the trunk and drive to the starting point and do it with that, or else I'll be finishing the ride in the dark on county roads.

Advice?
Cancel the ride. There is always another Wednesday

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-17-24, 10:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I use my rest days (about 2 per week) to work outside on our acre, or hike or fix stuff. Can’t just sit around since the gardens require constant attention. Two big things waiting for me is pressure washing the back patio and awnings and the huge structure around our deer fenced vegetable garden - and then re-staining it. The day before yesterday - was the PITA setting up the fountain.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-17-24, 12:30 PM
Sierra_rider

I use my rest days (about 2 per week) to work outside on our acre, or hike or fix stuff. Can’t just sit around since the gardens require constant attention. Two big things waiting for me is pressure washing the back patio and awnings and the huge structure around our deer fenced vegetable garden - and then re-staining it. The day before yesterday - was the PITA setting up the fountain.

Your outdoor space looks considerably more manicured than mine. I'm on a few acres with an aging house+shop, so there is a never ending supply of stuff that needs attention.

Now that we're starting to get nice weather, my focus is going to be on splitting all the piles of firewood I have around my house...propane is much too expensive to heat with, so collecting/splitting/stacking firewood is almost a non-stop process. At least I don't have far to get it, we had a storm that delivered 7' of snow in one go last winter and it broke a bunch of the trees on my property, so I have rounds piled up everywhere.

The other spring chore is cleaning all the pine needles off and away from the house. I don't go super crazy with it, just what's on the buildings and within 50' or so of them. I started that yesterday, besides demoing an unnecessary part of my front porch that collapsed in a big snow storm last year.
Old 04-17-24, 01:55 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Originally Posted by Troul
60-75 & dry without wind is my sweet spot.
I'm 47 and I like 50s. I can wear leggings and long sleeved jerseys against the sun without being too hot even at full steam. Maybe a wind vest rolled up in a back jersey pocket in case it drops a bit or the sun goes away. Water stays cool, too.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-17-24, 10:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Your outdoor space looks considerably more manicured than mine. I'm on a few acres with an aging house+shop, so there is a never ending supply of stuff that needs attention.

Now that we're starting to get nice weather, my focus is going to be on splitting all the piles of firewood I have around my house...propane is much too expensive to heat with, so collecting/splitting/stacking firewood is almost a non-stop process. At least I don't have far to get it, we had a storm that delivered 7' of snow in one go last winter and it broke a bunch of the trees on my property, so I have rounds piled up everywhere.

The other spring chore is cleaning all the pine needles off and away from the house. I don't go super crazy with it, just what's on the buildings and within 50' or so of them. I started that yesterday, besides demoing an unnecessary part of my front porch that collapsed in a big snow storm last year.
Our propane bills were so outrageous,$600-700 every other month, we got a heat pump which paid for itself in 5 years, but since you have free fuel - and a good upper body workout, go for it. I clean needles off the roof and gutters 2X a year which is not fun getting on the second story and getting out to the gutters.

You still have fire/home owner’s insurance? Received a notice last month that Farmers, after 40 years - and zero claims, dropped my mom’s house in Auburn because it is considered high risk for wildfire. Which is interesting since it is pretty much the burbs, but she does have several live oaks and 6 ginormous redwoods out front.

Editid ride today but burnt too many matches over the last few rides and i sucked. Even my Garmin told me I was being unproductive and to take some time off. this time I am going to listen.

Good luck with the race

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-17-24, 10:53 PM
Sierra_rider

Our propane bills were so outrageous,$600-700 every other month, we got a heat pump which paid for itself in 5 years, but since you have free fuel - and a good upper body workout, go for it. I clean needles off the roof and gutters 2X a year which is not fun getting on the second story and getting out to the gutters.

You still have fire/home owner’s insurance? Received a notice last month that Farmers, after 40 years - and zero claims, dropped my mom’s house in Auburn because it is considered high risk for wildfire. Which is interesting since it is pretty much the burbs, but she does have several live oaks and 6 ginormous redwoods out front.

Editid ride today but burnt too many matches over the last few rides and i sucked. Even my Garmin told me I was being unproductive and to take some time off. this time I am going to listen.

Good luck with the race
I built a fairly heavy duty hydraulic log splitter, so no more upper body workouts from splitting firewood...and building it myself saved a few thousand dollhairs over buying a comparable commercial grade splitter, so more money for fancy bikes lol.

I've got 2 separate home insurance policies. One covers everything not related to wildland fire and the other covers specifically wildland fire related damages. Unfortunately for some, the fire severity/risk zones don't always make perfect sense. On the other hand, I've also had the experience of chasing fire through a developed city, although that was an extreme, once-in-a-career moment.
Old 04-17-24, 11:01 PM
Sierra_rider

MTB racing tonight, all together about 20 miles and 1500' of gain...although only 13 of those were race miles. I took 2nd in a pretty stacked field, I did a come-from-behind sprint and was short by less than half a wheel...did about 1000 watts for 10 seconds in the sprint. I can actually do better in a sprint and I realized that I kinda gave away the win with that effort, but no complaints on how it turned out. Even though it was a fast race, I managed to keep my power numbers down and feel like I won't be carrying any fatigue into Friday's race in Monterey.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-18-24, 08:52 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Cancel the ride. There is always another Wednesday
I took your advice and did my route research at home by looking through my Garmin Connect routes and sending the candidates to my GPS. I really wasn't feeling the ride.

I took the gravel bike in today, so it will be 4 miles only, for commuting. Flirting with rain on the way home, but if it does rain, I'll get to test my new fenders.
Likes For Smaug1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.