Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 07:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One thing I'm finding from hours spent on Redfin is that there are two kinds of remodel - remodel to LIVE and remodel to SELL. Since we're looking in places with a lot of houses > 100 years old, the difference is important.
Never buy a remodel-to-sell, usually called a flip. Never.
Old 10-31-22, 07:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by datlas
Apparently AT&T cellular service is down in our area. My staff are all stressed out as they have been unable to check social media etc. on their lunch break.

First world problems.
Meanwhile I'd be worried it was a first symptom of a bigger issue and be frantically trying to check the news.
Old 10-31-22, 07:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by BillyD
Well it looks like the other side of the river should not expect to see me. lol

Funny thing though, as I’m getting around the area I have not seen a single cyclist. Of course I just know there’s got to be some somewhere. I’ll take a look for those trails, and also hunt down the nearest serious cyclist lbs.
When I worked there one dev actually cycle-commuted, even in the snow.

I was a gym rat at the time and didn't pay any attention past that.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-31-22, 07:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Never buy a remodel-to-sell, usually called a flip. Never.
Oh, but the monochromatic paint jobs are so tempting!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-31-22, 09:35 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
This bike is incredibly hard to take good pictures of:

Old 10-31-22, 10:19 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
This bike is incredibly hard to take good pictures of:

you need a dark, even background, and open shade!
Old 10-31-22, 11:23 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
Up too late. The Mrs and I went out to a Halloween party with live music and dinner.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-01-22, 05:44 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Might have been yesterdays big weight session or the copious soy sauce in last night’s dinner, but I broke 150 lbs this a.m.!
Old 11-01-22, 05:57 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Might have been yesterdays big weight session or the copious soy sauce in last night’s dinner, but I broke 150 lbs this a.m.!
Kudos
Old 11-01-22, 06:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Kudos. Possibly not too fat for this sport.
Old 11-01-22, 06:19 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Wordle 500 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-01-22, 07:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Has anyone ever had that their real wheel come off the ground while sprinting?

Just did one super effort, really wanted to break 1,000 watts. Still havnt done it that I know of. Went full throttle up a hill and my rear wheel started coming off the ground and my front wheel was coming off the ground at the opposite time. Felt really weird.

No I did not break 1000 watts.
You were probably just too far over the bars, a combination of the hill and the effort. Happens to me on occasion on steep kickers if I'm close to all-out.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-01-22, 07:11 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A few weeks back, the kids brought home a lingering cough and sore throat that's evidently been going around. My wife promptly got it from them and suffered while I seemed to go unscathed, which isn't unusual. Welp, my luck ran out a few days back - just enough congestion to make sleeping difficult, a fiery throat, and body ache - like I've tumbled down a hill - that pairs nicely with a hacking cough. Hopefully I'll get passed the worst of it soon.
Old 11-01-22, 07:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You were probably just too far over the bars, a combination of the hill and the effort. Happens to me on occasion on steep kickers if I'm close to all-out.
Agree, I was going to say weight too far forward is likely the driver. Not that I have much firsthand experience with sprinting.

#nofasttwitch
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-01-22, 08:01 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
A trip-related rant, if I may. I also rented a bike while staying in Lagos. Portugal, and that rental was dropped off/picked up by a bike tour company owned by a German couple. They seemed friendly enough, the bike was an Italian brand I've never heard of with a carbon frame and new-ish mechanical 105. I did a spin around the parking lot with them watching to make sure the fit was decent, and off they went. I did my first ride the next day, and while shifting from little to big on the front ring under virtually no load, basically softpedaling, the chain dropped and was jammed between the inner ring and chainstay. I stopped, pulled it out after some wrangling, and found that it'd torn up some of the thick electrical tape they'd wrapped the chainstay with for this very purpose. Seemed to me that the FD cable didn't have proper adjustment, as it consistently had trouble moving from little to big, but there was no barrel adjuster so I just dealt with it.

When they came to pick up the bike, the gentleman noticed the scuffed up/torn electrical tape and asked if the chain was jammed. I explained what happened and they both got very bristly when I told them that the FD adjustment was off and led to poor shifting and chain drop. They told me, and I quote, "Our bikes are very well cared for, it is usually the rider and not the bike, not knowing how to shift".

Obviously this rubbed me the wrong way given that I've been doing my own maintenance and using Shimano mechanical groupsets for basically my entire adult life, so I gave them some pushback and told them I wasn't trying to dispute anything, merely that the bike needs some adjustment. They got even more defensive and basically cursed at me and called me a stupid American before driving off.

Just left a really bad taste in my mouth and was outrageously poor customer service. I had a fear they'd find some way of accusing me of destroying the frame and charge my card for the full value, but so far nothing of that sort has occurred. Still, ugh.
Old 11-01-22, 08:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
they should have apologized - and then corrected the FD adjustment

oh well
Old 11-01-22, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
A trip-related rant, if I may. I also rented a bike while staying in Lagos. Portugal, and that rental was dropped off/picked up by a bike tour company owned by a German couple. They seemed friendly enough, the bike was an Italian brand I've never heard of with a carbon frame and new-ish mechanical 105. I did a spin around the parking lot with them watching to make sure the fit was decent, and off they went. I did my first ride the next day, and while shifting from little to big on the front ring under virtually no load, basically softpedaling, the chain dropped and was jammed between the inner ring and chainstay. I stopped, pulled it out after some wrangling, and found that it'd torn up some of the thick electrical tape they'd wrapped the chainstay with for this very purpose. Seemed to me that the FD cable didn't have proper adjustment, as it consistently had trouble moving from little to big, but there was no barrel adjuster so I just dealt with it.

When they came to pick up the bike, the gentleman noticed the scuffed up/torn electrical tape and asked if the chain was jammed. I explained what happened and they both got very bristly when I told them that the FD adjustment was off and led to poor shifting and chain drop. They told me, and I quote, "Our bikes are very well cared for, it is usually the rider and not the bike, not knowing how to shift".

Obviously this rubbed me the wrong way given that I've been doing my own maintenance and using Shimano mechanical groupsets for basically my entire adult life, so I gave them some pushback and told them I wasn't trying to dispute anything, merely that the bike needs some adjustment. They got even more defensive and basically cursed at me and called me a stupid American before driving off.

Just left a really bad taste in my mouth and was outrageously poor customer service. I had a fear they'd find some way of accusing me of destroying the frame and charge my card for the full value, but so far nothing of that sort has occurred. Still, ugh.
Sounds perfect for an on-line review.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-01-22, 08:39 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by phrantic09
nice, you should be able to hit both the Mohawk-Hudson and Helderberg trails nearby- both are pretty flat.

If you cross the Hudson it gets pretty hilly pretty quickly
Hudson Valley is great

my oldest kid lives in NYC - when visiting we often spend time in / around the Hudson Valley
Likes For t2p:
Old 11-01-22, 09:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Dan333SP

Ugh. Can you tell me who you used for the rental in Mallorca? And how was that?? I am going to have to get a rental for the 312 in April and I figure I should reserve it ahead of time.
Old 11-01-22, 09:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A few weeks back, the kids brought home a lingering cough and sore throat that's evidently been going around. My wife promptly got it from them and suffered while I seemed to go unscathed, which isn't unusual. Welp, my luck ran out a few days back - just enough congestion to make sleeping difficult, a fiery throat, and body ache - like I've tumbled down a hill - that pairs nicely with a hacking cough. Hopefully I'll get passed the worst of it soon.
A new school year is a brand new petri dish of germs that your kids are doing laps in all day. These things happen.

Your symptoms match mine from about a month ago. I tested COVID-positive. I hope you dodge that bullet. I'm still not done coughing.
Old 11-01-22, 09:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by t2p

Hudson Valley is great

my oldest kid lives in NYC - when visiting we often spend time in / around the Hudson Valley
That's got to be one of the finest train rides in the world, scenery-wise.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-01-22, 10:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

SiL's Green Card was approved today. That's one more man-bun and funny accent messing up America for the natives!
Old 11-01-22, 10:41 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
Hudson Valley is great

Agreed, the scenery is tough to beat. Above those cliffs was one of my favorite hawk spots and is a reliable park to spot a pair of peregrine falcons patrolling their territory.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 11-01-22, 10:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
The Empire Builder west of Cut Bank, MT when it’s light enough out. You skirt the edge of Glacier National Park then cross the Cascades the next morning. The segment includes the nearly 8 mile Cascade Tunnel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Tunnel
Old 11-01-22, 10:58 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by t2p
they should have apologized - and then corrected the FD adjustment

oh well
And true customer service should still exist, in general.
Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.