Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your Most Recent Cycling-related Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 09:48 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
Dont care how its made and what goes into it, its still just a bell. No bell is worth $60usd.
In your opinion. Which is fine. Don't buy one.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new bell SylvainG - you're going to love it!
Old 07-31-18, 02:24 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 438 Posts
Rapha Classic bibs, bought from their archive sale to try and see if the better chamois will make my butt feel better on centuries. They only had XS size left, which fits fine but could be a little longer. Went with the Classic so I can test ride them and return if it didn't fit.
Old 08-01-18, 03:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
The Black Bibs brand bibs. They're just as good as described by the maker and by customers. No frills, comfy, good stitching and material, an outstanding value at $40.

Main reason I wanted to try bibs is because after losing some weight my regular shorts will sometimes sag a bit and snag the nose of my saddle as I sit after standing to pedal. Annoying at times, especially starting from a short traffic light. I already have trouble enough fumbling to clip in, let alone having to worry about my shorts snagging.

Rode the Black Bibs twice now, for an hour and again for two hours. No complaints. The fabric and padding seem to handle the usual sweaty task just fine.

No snagging my saddle nose. That's a relief.

The pad is much thicker and denser than anything I've used before. I usually prefer the much thinner AeroTech Pro shorts liner which compacts down to a feel comparable to old style leather chamois. I also have some 3D sculpted padded liner shorts from Baleef and Pearl Izumi but usually wear those only on the indoor trainer -- they're thicker and denser than the thin, low loft AeroTech Pro pad. But the Black Bibs pad was just fine, despite feeling odd at first. We'll see how it goes on longer rides. (FWIW, my road bike saddle is a Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio -- the minimal firm padding is comparable to a typical Fizik saddle.)

No silicone/rubber gripper on the thigh hem. Doesn't seem to need it, even with my bird-thin thighs.

I got the medium. At 5'11" and 160 lbs, they're not quite as tight as I'd expected. The Black Bibs folks describe these as having some compression. I was expecting a lot more compression, but these are just typically snug and feel fine. If I lose any more weight I might even need the small size. But I have bird legs -- most of my weight is above the waistline. For most folks my height and weight with more proportionate build, the medium should be fine.
Old 08-01-18, 01:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Rapha Pro Team Midweight on deep discount because fall is not far away.

Old 08-01-18, 01:39 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A new saddle and a pair of tires. The tires are something I expect to buy but I didn't want or need a new saddle. But when a rail breaks, what are you gonna do.
Old 08-02-18, 09:25 AM
camcrobe

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Double, 1997 Jamis Quest rebuilt CoMo

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 2000 Jamis Quest classic steel with 8sp 105/ultegra from Craigslist. Also just ordered a new cassette, chain and bar tape to go on it. Will reside on my Elite Direto trainer.
Old 08-02-18, 11:53 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Gcn essential case

I have a RAPHA ESSENTIAL CASE (waterproof version) that I like a lot. Wanted to get another one because it fits perfectly on jersey's pocket and there was a coupon discount code I want to use but it looks like they don't sell them anymore.

So while browsing the web, I ended up finding this case and it was on sale. At the price point, I can get 2 cases instead of 1 from Rapha.

I got them today (6 day delivery wait from UK to NJ).

A tad bigger in dimension. Fits iPhone 6 with lots of room.

https://shop.globalcyclingnetwork.co...als-case-black

Description

This small, water-resistant pouch is the perfect accessory for any ride. With enough room to pack your cycling essentials (a spare tube, a multi-tool and a smart phone) and fits comfortably in your back jersey pocket.
Old 08-02-18, 02:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
I have a RAPHA ESSENTIAL CASE (waterproof version) that I like a lot. Wanted to get another one because it fits perfectly on jersey's pocket and there was a coupon discount code I want to use but it looks like they don't sell them anymore.

So while browsing the web, I ended up finding this case and it was on sale. At the price point, I can get 2 cases instead of 1 from Rapha.

I got them today (6 day delivery wait from UK to NJ).

A tad bigger in dimension. Fits iPhone 6 with lots of room.

https://shop.globalcyclingnetwork.co...als-case-black

Description

This small, water-resistant pouch is the perfect accessory for any ride. With enough room to pack your cycling essentials (a spare tube, a multi-tool and a smart phone) and fits comfortably in your back jersey pocket.
I've had the rapha essential case on my notification list for a long time now. At first they were out of the color I wanted. And now they're out of all color options. So I may look at the GCN case too.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-02-18, 03:01 PM
phillypino215

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I've had the rapha essential case on my notification list for a long time now. At first they were out of the color I wanted. And now they're out of all color options. So I may look at the GCN case too.
i actually just ordered another one this morning...part of their sale.

39 for the leather one

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/l...uct/ECS01XXBLK

and 45 for the other colors...

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/e...uct/ECS08XXPUR
Old 08-02-18, 04:13 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by phillypino215
i actually just ordered another one this morning...part of their sale.

39 for the leather one

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/l...uct/ECS01XXBLK

and 45 for the other colors...

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/e...uct/ECS08XXPUR
My bad. I was looking at the "rainproof" essentials case.
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/r.../LEC05XXBROXXX

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-02-18, 05:25 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Praxis Zayante Carbon crank with bottom bracket
Easy to install, shifts fantastic, and rides smooth, very happy so far.
Old 08-03-18, 06:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Castelli Alpha ROS jacket

50% off at Backcountry

Old 08-03-18, 06:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Picked up an Ottolock for those post-ride stops -

Old 08-04-18, 01:17 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Haero h.145 sl handlbars
Fiberlyte top cap & bolt, Fiberlyte Preload cap for clavicula classic

Old 08-05-18, 01:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Przewalski shorts. I hadn't planned to buy another pair of shorts after just getting the Black Bibs (which are excellent for the money). But the Przewalski shorts popped up on my Facebook feed for only $5 and change on a one-day sale -- apparently targeted to some folks who allow tracking by Amazon, Facebook, etc. That's why I stay logged into Facebook, Amazon and my Google account full time on Chrome -- just for the occasional special sales. (For privacy and to escape the filter bubble I use Firefox, DuckDuckGo and Startpage.)

I figured at five bucks I had nothing to lose. I wasn't expecting much. But I'll be darned -- these Przewalskis are good shorts for the money. I'd compare them to my AeroTech Pro shorts in terms of quality -- just good, basic, no-frills shorts.

In some respects the Krzewalski shorts are more refined than the AeroTech Pro:
  • The fit is more snug, with more compression -- I'm 5'11", 160 lbs, a medium with skinny legs and these are the first medium shorts I've tried that actually have some compression effect on me. Some folks might do better with a large, if they're on the border between medium and large in most shorts.
  • They sag less in the butt than my AeroTech Pro, which I often need to hitch up.
  • The thigh grippers are micro-dots along a wide hem, which should be less irritating to folks whose skin gets chafed from other grippers.
  • The logo is quite nice for this price point, with highly reflective lettering on the rear left hip and left thigh. Nobody will be able to read the name but the script looks good.
  • The padding is unusual, with a smoother surface texture, dimpled like a golf ball, variable density as needed but no fussy 3D sculpted stuff like most short that resembles a graphic representation of franks and beans.... johnson and the twins... twigs and berries... you get the idea. The padding under the sit bones is much thicker and denser with less compression than anything else I've worn -- and darned if it isn't comfortable. I usually prefer the AeroTech Pro with the minimalist black/tan pad that feels more like old school leather chamois than most pads. But I can see how the Przewalski pad would be comfy over a long ride on a firm saddle. Seems to breathe and wick well too.
I'll need a few more rides but so far I'm liking it. Even at the full price of $25 these are worth trying. And they have a twofer special with the second pair at half price.

BTW, the vendor didn't contact me personally for this sale or review. Several of us got the same discount code on Facebook but the other folks said the code didn't work for them. It worked for me when I entered it at checkout. I don't do fake reviews on Amazon and am pretty blunt in reviews even for products I've been invited to review -- which may be why I've never had a repeat request from any vendor.

Anyway, if you like AeroTech Pro shorts or similar budget shorts, you'll probably like these even with the unusually thick and firm pad.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-05-18 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 02:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

SY wireless bike speedometer/odometer, only $12. Hey, it's only twelve bucks and does the job. Shows the little info I want -- realtime speed, distance traveled, time, etc. Nothing fancy, no interface with my phone or Strava.

I wanted to minimize weight and clutter on my road bike handlebar and this was a good replacement for my iPhone 4s and Delta caddy mount. I still carry a phone in my pocket running Strava, etc. But it'll last longer per charge now.

Mounting is the usual. Magnet on the spoke, sensor on the fork (the wireless signal won't reach from the rear wheel to display on the handlebar). All attached with zip ties, nothing special. Printed instructions and online tips were clear enough to quickly figure out how to set up the display.

Only nit I can pick is it would be handy to have one that reaches from the rear wheel so I can use it while the bike is on the trainer. No big deal, especially at this price.
Old 08-05-18, 07:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,461 Posts
@canklecat, I like those cheap computers. They've worked flawlessly for me. I've only used the wired kind. I've heard the wireless ones can get interference from bike headlights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-05-18, 07:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by noglider
@canklecat, I like those cheap computers. They've worked flawlessly for me. I've only used the wired kind. I've heard the wireless ones can get interference from bike headlights.
True, I forgot to mention my NiteRider Lumina Micro 750 does interfere so I had to mount it on the head tube rather than handlebar.

I need to test my other headlights and see what happens.
Old 08-05-18, 07:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked 2,514 Times in 1,461 Posts
Oh, that's a short distance that you moved it. I'm glad it makes the difference you need.

Nowadays, I use a smartphone app as my computer, and I usually use hub dynamo lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-07-18, 04:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Old 08-07-18, 04:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Haero h.145 sl handlbars
Fiberlyte top cap & bolt, Fiberlyte Preload cap for clavicula classic

This should not go unacknowledged.

I would like to see the end result or hear about the plans.

-Tim-
Old 08-07-18, 06:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Trek DS 2. Hardly top of the line, but since I'm 75, it will likely outlast me.
Old 08-07-18, 07:47 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This should not go unacknowledged.

I would like to see the end result or hear about the plans.

-Tim-
Bars went on my Wilier Zero.6 to replace Schmolke TLO's. I needed narrower bars w/ less reach. These were the only bars that came close to the TLO (which was 146 g).

Top cap will go on the zero.6 and the clavicula preload cap actually goes on the other bike that had the clavicula classic cranks. The zero.6 has the Clavicula SE cranks.
Old 08-07-18, 10:20 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Selle Italia SLR Superflow Saddle from chainreactioncycles, on sale for $135, with another $20 off for first time customer, so $115 net, and Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25mm tires, $35 each at backcountry. I'm new to buy cycling supplies/components on line. Seems like some things you can usually find at steep discounts (tires, shoes, saddles) but I'm not finding sales on some other items on my list (Thompson seat post, King cages).
Old 08-07-18, 11:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Ribble house brand jersey.

Gotta wash it before a ride, but looks pretty good for under $40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.