Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride With One Brake - Front or Rear??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 02:03 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ebike only...

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Pretty nifty. E-bike only at the moment.
Yes, and I'm guessing probably remain that way (at least as a factory option). Other than needing ample and dependable power supply, there's probably nothing inherent about that requirement.
Old 07-29-19, 03:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
It does look a bit twisty, doesn't it?
Yeah, a little twisty and a little break-off-the-bike-ey.; Going over the bars or wiping out the front in in gravel would actually be the least of my concerns on that bike.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-29-19, 05:34 PM
diverbmorrison1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me personally I would prefer the rear brake. I would image if you used only the front brake and you had to brake hard, I think you may lose control of the bikes easier than if you had to brake hard with just the rear brake. I think I could handle a fish tail of the bike better than perhaps the tendency of the bike tipping up in the rear if braking hard on the front brake only. I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-01-19, 09:03 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Just tor reiterate what was mentioned above the front brake accounts for 70% of stopping power the rear just 30% .
So if only one brake front will do the job WAY better
. . . BUT.......
The two together work to help the bias and keep the force level, so it's good to have that rear brake for that reason, so you don't "endo"
You get used to just a front brake and put your weight back as you brake so the rear doesn't lift off.
but
in a panic situation would be good to combine it with a
rear foot brake ,
i like the solution pictured in a previous post.. but you have to find someone to build it for you.
for now go with a front brake,

Easiest would be to go with a 'split' cable one brake-lever does both calipers...

Last edited by kraftwerk; 08-01-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-01-19, 01:29 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
My best friend growing up, his grandfathers company provided artificial arms ... apart from war victims their biggest clients were motorcycle accidents and the most common problem, when they know they're approaching an accident, human instinct is to grab the brakes and cling onto them as hard as you can and the muscle memory doesn't let go.
This results in you holding on so hard, the bike hits the car .... or whatever it is you're braking to avoid ... and you get thrown over the top of the bike and your muscles don't let go and as you pivot over the top of the bike it literally rips your arms out of their sockets ... do you think they practiced slow braking????
A prime example of why anecdotes are not evidence. Your logic here is that a person who uses a bike's front hand brake will hold on so tight they'll rip their arm off if they get hit by a car. But if they were holding the other hand brake then they wouldn't?

It doesn't follow. And you still don't know how to safely ride a bike. That seems to be the commonality between you and the three or four rear brake people, fear caused by inexperience.