Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 09:19 AM
AeroFred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
The wing shifters are nice but expensive! On the other hand, Suntour Command shifters cost almost as much NOS.

I have been toying with the idea of just sticking a thumb shifter right under the brake lever. I actually think the geometry of the throw would work ok. It would be a low effort experiment since I already have a set modified for mounting on drops. maybe next time I rerwap my bars I'll give it a try...
You're right, they're expensive but not as much as the Suntour. Moreover the command shifter index to Suntour accushift RD . . . They are top from a design point of view, but not the function . . .

On the other hand, the Wing shifters offer microratcheting and THAT'S all the difference ! They shift so smooth, up to 11 speed !

Yeah, there has been experiments with alt. mounting of thumb shifters, I've seen a thread on that . . .
Old 12-28-23, 11:27 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroFred
You're right, they're expensive but not as much as the Suntour. Moreover the command shifter index to Suntour accushift RD . . . They are top from a design point of view, but not the function . . .

On the other hand, the Wing shifters offer microratcheting and THAT'S all the difference ! They shift so smooth, up to 11 speed !

Yeah, there has been experiments with alt. mounting of thumb shifters, I've seen a thread on that . . .
The Suntour Commands had a friction option, both versions did. And the micro-ratchet was originally a Suntour design.
Old 12-28-23, 01:33 PM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by Frkl
The Suntour Commands had a friction option, both versions did. And the micro-ratchet was originally a Suntour design.
I know I have one, but the friction option is not very effective . . . it's the same as indexed, just softer . . .

Well, yes, so why didn't they implement it further ?

Nowadays, the only options if you want micro-ratchet is to opt for Dia-Compe ! Or maybe Rivendell silver ?
Old 12-28-23, 05:47 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
This one has been through several changes and shown here a few.

1990 Schwinn High Plains MTB built up with Shimano RSX drivetrain, Tektro canti brakes, Brooks Colt and a 7 sp wheel set off a 94 Schwinn MTB.

first shakedown ride is promising. Longer one and better pics this weekend.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 12-29-23, 01:37 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I know I have one, but the friction option is not very effective . . . it's the same as indexed, just softer . . .

Well, yes, so why didn't they implement it further ?

Nowadays, the only options if you want micro-ratchet is to opt for Dia-Compe ! Or maybe Rivendell silver ?
I converted my Command shifters to true friction eight years ago and they're still going strong. I followed the instructions in this thread; never had the 'looseness' problem the OP mentions. It's true that the rear shifter doesn't micro-ratchet. I wish the Wing shifters came in black and were $100 cheaper.
Likes For eeuuugh:
Old 12-29-23, 01:49 PM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by eeuuugh
I converted my Command shifters to true friction eight years ago and they're still going strong. I followed the instructions in this thread; never had the 'looseness' problem the OP mentions. It's true that the rear shifter doesn't micro-ratchet. I wish the Wing shifters came in black and were $100 cheaper.
And I'd like to find those indexing plates to convert the Command Shifters to 10s !
Old 12-31-23, 02:58 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
daywood At first I was like: "Brown...WTF?" But as soon as I saw the Cinelli cork on the shelf, I saw the wisdom of your words.
Brown Bar Tape by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-31-23, 06:36 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Nice brakes, how do they perform ?
If I'm being honest, they are a big stop down in performance from the Deore XT dual pivot v-brakes that were on there before. I'd say they perform marginally better then the average Shimano or Avid cantis, but they are super light and look sweet.
Likes For degan:
Old 01-01-24, 09:21 AM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by attylah
Finally got it racked and fendered. Before and after:

Happy New Year ! I love your build, so elegant !

Can you tell us more about the specifications ? Cranks, transmission, brakes, fenders, racks, etc...
Likes For AeroFred:
Old 01-12-24, 12:16 PM
NocoRider

Bikes: 3 Frankenbikes (Stumpjumper, Karakoram, Trek 930), Fuso, Tarmac Pro, '72 Fuji Finest, Soma Saga, El Diente, Cannondale tandem, 2 mountain bikes, more...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork Recommendations???

I'm in the process of converting a Trek Singletrack (26" wheels). It came with a suspension fork which is trashed and really heavy. I'd like to find a rigid replacement made of good quality steel (Tange, True Temper, etc). I'd even consider carbon. Most of what I've been able to find are forks weighing 1,100 g (2.4 pounds)!!!

I've looked on eBay but since the frame is 22", all of the used forks have steerer tubes that are too short.

Recommendations anyone?
Old 01-12-24, 12:45 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
What size is the steerer on the original fork? If it is threaded, do you want to stick with a threaded fork, or would you convert to threadless?
Old 01-12-24, 01:01 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by NocoRider
I'm in the process of converting a Trek Singletrack (26" wheels). It came with a suspension fork which is trashed and really heavy. I'd like to find a rigid replacement made of good quality steel (Tange, True Temper, etc). I'd even consider carbon. Most of what I've been able to find are forks weighing 1,100 g (2.4 pounds)!!!

I've looked on eBay but since the frame is 22", all of the used forks have steerer tubes that are too short.

Recommendations anyone?
https://www.somafab.com/parts/forks
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-12-24, 01:35 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts

Recommendations anyone?
Do you have a co-op locally? Or even a LBS might have some spares hanging around.
Old 01-12-24, 05:27 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

Recommendations anyone?
check LBS for forks - many times they will have an inventory of rigid take off forks … could get lucky and find a suitable rigid Trek fork

might need to determine crown to axle length to ensure the replacement fork provides the correct geometry (?)

have not checked out a Trek rigid fork recently - but have checked out some early 90’s Schwinn Paramount forks … the weights of the four forks I weighed were 760 to 880 g … (steerer lengths varied - 5.5 “ to 6.75 “)

some of the aftermarket aluminum and carbon forks for 26” bikes are around the same weight
Old 01-13-24, 01:37 PM
SCbike864

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Lots of great bikes in here. Gonna take a while to go through all 300 pages haha
Old 01-13-24, 06:26 PM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by SCbike864
Lots of great bikes in here. Gonna take a while to go through all 300 pages haha
Finding this thread was the beginning of my long descent into madness, so I can only say: If you think it's going to take a long time to read through it, think how long it's going to take to build yourself versions of all the bikes you like in here!
Old 01-14-24, 06:06 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts

Recommendations anyone?
Carver carbon fork, may require you to convert to threadless. What axle to crown do you need? What weight are you looking for?
I have used Carver cro-moly fork for a Hardrock.
Otherwise Soma, Surly, Origin 8, ...
Old 01-14-24, 08:00 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by degan
I was going to wait until it was done but since it just survived a house fire, I thought I'd go ahead and post it. A fireman saved my Klein!

Oh brother that's tragic news. The Klein survives though. It looks amazing.
Old 01-14-24, 09:24 PM
JustinHS777

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Found on fb for $25. Built for some trail riding.

Likes For JustinHS777:
Old 01-15-24, 02:41 PM
M A V

Bikes: Many, yet not enough

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
Just started this project
Likes For M A V:
Old 01-15-24, 08:50 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by M A V
Just started this project…
Dear lord! I can’t un-see that!!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-15-24, 09:44 PM
M A V

Bikes: Many, yet not enough

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
Dear lord! I can’t un-see that!!
Good, let it burn into your retina
Old 01-16-24, 10:39 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 286 Posts
Bikesnob had a Softride project a few months ago...

https://bikesnobnyc.com/2023/03/21/o...h-their-heads/
Old 01-16-24, 01:08 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Nice to see front and rear shifters. Please put a proper triple on that.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 01-19-24, 02:31 AM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Oh brother that's tragic news. The Klein survives though. It looks amazing.
Yeah, I got lucky. Unfortunately when I squeezed the brake it pulled but didn't release one bit, so I'm sure all the cables are cooked, and probably anything else with grease. It got pretty toasty, but somehow the tires didn't melt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.