Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 04:49 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you fix the crushed drop out?
Old 07-02-09, 04:59 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mustard pants
Here's my 1970's colnago super. I bought it with a drop out crushed and the paint stripped for $70. I restored it not quite back to original as I may want to actually race it, however it is all Campy. I powdercoated it and bought new decals. It has Chorus Rear and Front derailleurs, Record chain, Veloce shifters, cassette, and brakes, Campy Crank and Headset (no markings so not sure which group), and Mavic CXP-22 wheels for right now. I think I'm buying a rear Shamal and a front Fir to replace the wheelset. Selle Italia Flite saddle. Cinelli bars and stem, Bianchi seat post. It's on velospace too if you want to see it: https://velospace.org/node/21452

It's a nice bike to be sure. But the fork is bent.
Old 07-02-09, 05:01 PM
mustard pants

Bikes: scott s1, scott cr1, 1979 colnago super, scott s60, bianchi reparto corse, bianchi pista, raleigh technium 440

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the thread I discussed it on. A lot of good suggestions if you're having that problem: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=528831

I ended up just prying it open cold.
Old 07-02-09, 05:04 PM
mustard pants

Bikes: scott s1, scott cr1, 1979 colnago super, scott s60, bianchi reparto corse, bianchi pista, raleigh technium 440

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After you said that, I ran out to check but it really is supposed to be like that. The picture is on kind of a weird angle and might make it look bent.
Old 07-02-09, 05:10 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I would have a bike shop check it out. A good bike shop should be able to bend it back. I held a straight edge up to the folk and it doesn't line up with the head tube. Could be the photo angle.
Old 07-02-09, 06:19 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
If it needs to be bent back, just put it in between the rungs of a paint ladder and pull down. It helps if you leave the rest of the frame attached; you'll need the leverage. I did this with a bike and got the fork very straight, and it was very controlled.

I also have a bike with a straight fork that many people have told me is bent based on this picture.

Yeah, it's the photo angle.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 07-02-09 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 07:13 PM
New Yorker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Could be the photo angle.
I'm beginning to think this is a common optical illusion. Often, looking at my vintage Trek, I could swear the fork is bent—but it isn't.
Old 07-03-09, 11:28 AM
bornhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found 2 more yesterday. My wife is officially pissed, but I cleared 150.00 on the first flip I ever did so she tolerates it. I told her all I want is to find a good vintage roadie in my size, but these are too good to pass up. It will be a while as I am 6' 3". Everthing I seem to find cheap are smaller bikes.
First was an 83 Raleigh olympian that I got from the original owners son. It is in dirty, but real good original condition. Next is a Centurion that I picked up at a thrift store. I think they are on to me as this one was priced more than previous scores there. Tange double butted tubing, Shimano goodies, 27" Araya's... I knew I still could not leave it for the next flipper. Any help dating it is appreciated.
Old 07-03-09, 04:21 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
Picked this up a few weeks ago for a whopping 20 bux...

Full Tange MTB double butted tubing, and a very interesting BB/chainstay. Much like a wishbone or monostay. Uses rollercam or U-Brakes on the rear rather than regular cantilevers.
Short c-stays (16.25") and super compact rear triangle, 23" sloping top tube should fit me well.

Nice Spinner brand cromoly fork.

I'm guessing early to mid 90's era and planning to build with some eccentric Suntour parts I have laying around. Anybody remember Ergotec shifters? Like a mix between gripshift and rapidfire plus with some funky integrated brake levers.

Head badge reads Montagna Innovation, downtube reads Montagna, and seat tube reads Sommita. Google translate puts Montagna Sommita in Italain as meaning Mountain Top. Doubt its Italian, but what do I know?

Can anybody ID this frame or give me any information at all?

Old 07-03-09, 10:10 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wtf is up with the bb and tube below?
Old 07-04-09, 04:12 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would be interested to know what kind of clearance that BB has when wheels are on it. By just looking at the frame, I can't see that working very well for clearing obstacles. It does look neat
Old 07-04-09, 11:19 AM
K8drums
learning...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks kinda cubist (like Picasso Cubism) in the way things don't line up - I like weird frames like that
Old 07-04-09, 11:25 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some bikes, the two Gliders a bmx and a road bike frame, The road bike was a full bike with a messed seat post. lots of nice parts where on it, random bmx I found in the garbage and two Gliders one no one wanted at a yard sale for 5$ and I would of bought it but couldn't came around on garbage day and hurray even better it was at the curb and a 3 speed in awesome condition, Oh I guess i'll ad my Catch here to, no clue of it's age bt it proberly aint vintage, I traded a vintage norco road bike for an Eclipse Mountain bike.

Not sure why I traded I guess I wanted a winter bike?
Old 07-04-09, 01:44 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I just won this gem on the 'bay today. These are the sellers pics, but man what a beauty! Looks to be all original. I think the guy who runs the vintage Trek website owns the same model/year/color bike. I can't wait until it arrives!

Old 07-04-09, 03:58 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I think that a Ron Cooper would qualify as a catch of the year wouldn't it ?
Old 07-04-09, 04:33 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll trade you a West German 70's folding bike for it?

It's got fenders...
Old 07-04-09, 04:49 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
I'll trade you a West German 70's folding bike for it?

It's got fenders...
The Cooper has no fenders.

But it does have a Sugino Mghty crank, Zeus 2000 centre pulls, a Campy Headset, Zeus hubs laced to concave Weinmann rims, Zeus levers, and Campy cable guides.

The rear d is a Shimano XT... I could part with that.
Old 07-04-09, 05:15 PM
90wreck

Bikes: Schwinn/Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Trek.....I wonder what that color was called?
Old 07-04-09, 08:21 PM
Splashdown

Bikes: Giant Rock 4000, Suteki 15 Speed, Orion Tour Du Quebec (ladies)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
A little lemon juice and aluminum foil should take care of those rims pretty easily.
can someone please explain this technique, I have a Peugeot with some very rusty rims that would love to get rid of teh rust.

~ Splash
Old 07-05-09, 06:40 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
"A little lemon juice and aluminum foil should take care of those rims pretty easily"
"can someone please explain this technique, I have a Peugeot with some very rusty rims that would love to get rid of teh rust."

Lemon juice is acidic. You can probably search the forum for rust removal techniques, including the use of Oxylic acid. In C&V you encounter rust on a regular basis.

BicycleTutor.com also has some information on rust removal (many other repair topics, too):

https://bicycletutor.com/rust-removal/
Old 07-05-09, 10:02 AM
jkiv
Weaker quads than thou.

Bikes: Peugeot PB-9 fixed conversion (42/16)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a long day of driving around to yard sales, looking for a bike for my roommate, we arrive at the last place on our list before heading home...

Hardly ridden late '80s (I think) Peugeot PB9 for $40. Too bad it was my size, not his
Old 07-05-09, 02:10 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, here it is

Certainly not high end, and the welds look like a 6 year old did them (probably did anyhow), but it's sturdy and in great shape! I can fit two of me in the seat, but probably only one larger person.

The grips say "Peacock" but that's the only English on it. Can anyone read the rest?

I already swaped out the cheap 36t crank for a square taper crankset with a high quality 32t ring (in pictures) I had sitting around. The front brake is a rod brake, and the rear is a ban drum brake. Should do fine on the flats. 24" tires.

The headset was a complete basket case. The crown race was not ever installed, but it was placed over the bearings on the top, and then the top race was on top of that. To finish it off, someone used JB weld to secure things up

All is better, and I just need to go get some new bearings, clean it more, some decorations, and some customers I also need to make a padded back rest, and see if I can make a sun canopy of some sort.

Last edited by YoKev; 07-05-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 06:42 PM
jish1969

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-15, 2013 Trek Stache 7, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3, 2018 Diamondback El Oso Dos, 197* Charles Roberts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
My Paramount

This baby had been sitting in the attic of a friends apartment FOREVER...until i saw it for the first time. Cinelli bars, Suntour VGT-luxe rear D and barcons and the rest is all Campy. The paint isn't that great and Ive been thinking about getting it redone but I cant afford that whole Waterford job. Best thing Ive ever found though, and it was truly love at first sight.
Old 07-05-09, 08:09 PM
bornhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[quote=kevinsubaru;9222236]Well, here it is

Certainly not high end, and the welds look like a 6 year old did them (probably did anyhow), but it's sturdy and in great shape! I can fit two of me in the seat, but probably only one larger person.

The grips say "Peacock" but that's the only English on it. Can anyone read the rest?

I already swaped out the cheap 36t crank for a square taper crankset with a high quality 32t ring (in pictures) I had sitting around. The front brake is a rod brake, and the rear is a ban drum brake. Should do fine on the flats. 24" tires.

The headset was a complete basket case. The crown race was not ever installed, but it was placed over the bearings on the top, and then the top race was on top of that. To finish it off, someone used JB weld to secure things up

All is better, and I just need to go get some new bearings, clean it more, some decorations, and some customers I also need to make a padded back rest, and see if I can make a sun canopy of some sort.

No way that's better than a tandem. If someones going to tag along with me, they are going to do some pedaling too damn it. Get some insurance if you are hauling customers and the welds don't look good, remember the average American weighs twice what the average customer weighs where that thing came from
Old 07-05-09, 08:53 PM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jish1969
This baby had been sitting in the attic of a friends apartment FOREVER...until i saw it for the first time. Cinelli bars, Suntour VGT-luxe rear D and barcons and the rest is all Campy. The paint isn't that great and Ive been thinking about getting it redone but I cant afford that whole Waterford job. Best thing Ive ever found though, and it was truly love at first sight.
GASP!!!

His apartment has an attic?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.