Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 10:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Major pre-Black Friday score for WhyFi Wood Works - new benchtop thickness planer.

A local retailer is promoting a deep discount on the machine, but they're not carrying it in stock, they're back-ordered by a few weeks, and it's being drop-shipped (with a not-insignificant shipping fee) from the manufacturer. I went to my preferred shop and asked if they were doing any kind of a deal on it, not expecting a match, but hoping for a little break. The guy that I spoke with wasn't aware of the deal at the other shop, so I filled him in with all of the above details. His response was no, they're not doing any kind of match or discount. Cool - no harm, no foul.

I obviously decided to look around the toy store, since I was there, and a few minutes later, the salesman comes back and says, "I'm actually kind of surprised, but we'll match that price. We have one in stock - do you want it?"

I tried not to throw up red flags by looking stunned - instant gratification and I don't have to pay the heavy shipping fee? "Oh, cool. Yeah - I'll do that."
Old 11-19-21, 10:54 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A friend who is an ex pro started the ride 40ish years ago.
Thurlow?
Old 11-19-21, 10:56 AM
WhyFi

Speaking of Hot Deals, Rapha has a nice deal going on their Core Flyweight jerseys - two for $120 (they're normally $80 each). I saw this right after placing an order on some other stuff and was temped to get a couple of these, too. Hell, I still might....
Old 11-19-21, 10:57 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
How is Highway 2 for riding? Google street view suggests minimal shoulder. Much traffic??
There isn't much shoulder for most of it and traffic is the worst on the lower 9 mile section from Highway 210 up to Clear Creek. In the summer we like to drive up to the turn off for Mount Wilson and ride from there. Traffic is light after that most of the time. There are some car clubs sometimes and motorcycles, too. Those drivers are usually pretty cool. The worst is after a snow storm if the gates are open. Then you get a lot of knuckleheads looking for snow who may not have the skill to be driving up there. Last summer was crazy with the pandemic closures. Lots of racers driving too fast.
I have been up there a lot and I love the road. 100 feet per mile just about every ride but nothing too steep and when it's quiet it's great. There are gates at various places and when any of the gates are closed it's the best.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-19-21, 10:58 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
Thurlow?
No, Ron Skarin started the ride. He's a bit older than Thurlow. He's even older than I am.
Old 11-19-21, 11:00 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Major pre-Black Friday score for WhyFi Wood Works - new benchtop thickness planer.

A local retailer is promoting a deep discount on the machine, but they're not carrying it in stock, they're back-ordered by a few weeks, and it's being drop-shipped (with a not-insignificant shipping fee) from the manufacturer. I went to my preferred shop and asked if they were doing any kind of a deal on it, not expecting a match, but hoping for a little break. The guy that I spoke with wasn't aware of the deal at the other shop, so I filled him in with all of the above details. His response was no, they're not doing any kind of match or discount. Cool - no harm, no foul.

I obviously decided to look around the toy store, since I was there, and a few minutes later, the salesman comes back and says, "I'm actually kind of surprised, but we'll match that price. We have one in stock - do you want it?"

I tried not to throw up red flags by looking stunned - instant gratification and I don't have to pay the heavy shipping fee? "Oh, cool. Yeah - I'll do that."
It never hurts to ask!

Last weekend we bought some glass pieces for the house. Since it was a pretty big spend, I asked the shop owner for a 15% discount. He said okay without any questioning. Ended up getting one piece for free essentially. My wife was surprised. She just doesn't understand that everything is negotiable, and the worst they can say is "no."
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-19-21, 11:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

No, Ron Skarin started the ride. He's a bit older than Thurlow. He's even older than I am.
Ahh. Thanks for the correction. That's not a name I'm familiar with. Thurlow used to rip our legs off at the Tues/Thurs Rose Bowl ride. Fun times.
Old 11-19-21, 11:13 AM
big john

How is Highway 2 for riding? Google street view suggests minimal shoulder. Much traffic??
More Highway 2:.

Likes For big john:
Old 11-19-21, 11:16 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I'd do that in a heartbeat - if it paid enough.

There is a new guy in the LBS that I've been getting to know. He's about my age and must be retired from some other career because he has a plane and a Porsche that he tracks. Can't imagine a Trek store pays enough to support those hobbies.
I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer. I'm not there for the money. My main gig allows me to have a flexible schedule.
Old 11-19-21, 11:19 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ahh. Thanks for the correction. That's not a name I'm familiar with. Thurlow used to rip our legs off at the Tues/Thurs Rose Bowl ride. Fun times.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-19-21, 11:20 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
There isn't much shoulder for most of it and traffic is the worst on the lower 9 mile section from Highway 210 up to Clear Creek. In the summer we like to drive up to the turn off for Mount Wilson and ride from there. Traffic is light after that most of the time. There are some car clubs sometimes and motorcycles, too. Those drivers are usually pretty cool. The worst is after a snow storm if the gates are open. Then you get a lot of knuckleheads looking for snow who may not have the skill to be driving up there. Last summer was crazy with the pandemic closures. Lots of racers driving too fast.
I have been up there a lot and I love the road. 100 feet per mile just about every ride but nothing too steep and when it's quiet it's great. There are gates at various places and when any of the gates are closed it's the best.
So 100 feet/mile is perfect for me. I had bad experiences riding the PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga Canyon this past summer. The area by the Getty Mansion was especially unnerving as there was lots of traffic at highway speed and minimal shoulder. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11-19-21, 11:24 AM
big john

So 100 feet/mile is perfect for me. I had bad experiences riding the PCH from Santa Monica to Topanga Canyon this past summer. The area by the Getty Mansion was especially unnerving as there was lots of traffic at highway speed and minimal shoulder. I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary.
I know. That's why I suggested picking you up and driving past that section. The logistics didn't work out, though.
Old 11-19-21, 11:37 AM
big john

1 more from the high point on the 2. The young lady in the maroon vest is the one you met when you were here. She said to tell you she was sorry she didn't ride with you.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-19-21, 11:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
I know. That's why I suggested picking you up and driving past that section. The logistics didn't work out, though.
Good suggestion. Luckily, this trip we hope/plan to have a car rental, so if necessary I can drive and/or get mrs datlas to drop me off to avoid any highways. I am also hopeful the FOAF I borrowed the Felt Aluminum bike from will let me borrow it again. Bike rentals are hit/miss.
Old 11-19-21, 11:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by rjones28
I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer. I'm not there for the money. My main gig allows me to have a flexible schedule.
That's perfect!
Old 11-19-21, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
The hills in the Velo Vol territory, and the wind in Wyoming. Those two are the bane of the Trans Am Bike Race participants. Well. Getting killed in Kansas may be at the top. Those three things...
When I was on part of the TA in 2014 I camped with a bunch of people in Jackson, MT, including a guy who was in the race. He proudly told a couple of us that he was not in last place but rather in second to last place. Later that evening, a guy travelling really lightly passed the hot springs resort where we were camping. I did not have to heart to tell mister next to last that he might now be last.
Old 11-19-21, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I only work 20 or so hours a week in the Summer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-21, 12:25 PM
WhyFi

Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.
Old 11-19-21, 12:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
A friend who is an ex pro started the ride 40ish years ago. The official start is in Van Nuys but I've always skipped the ride across the valley floor and just ridden from home. There have been 200 riders some years and hardly any riders other years, like after the Station Fire. Some riders don't anticipate the freezing 35 mph descent while wet from the climb and go up without any extra layers. One time my friend drove up and had hot coffee and snacks for our group. This guy in the short sleeves was hanging around trying to score a jacket or something for the descent. I think she gave him some paper to stuff in his jersey.
Been there, done that, on Mt Hamilton near San Jose. Cold at the bottom so I was wearing multiple layers, which got wet with sweat, and then later with drizzly fog closer to the top, so it was all soaked when I started back down. I think the trick, if it's like that, is to bring an extra set of tights and an extra jacket packed to stay dry, then swap at the top so. It was MISERABLE on the way down!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-19-21, 12:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Just did a lap through the new Zwift Neokyo map. Man, as I noted on my Strava log, that was fast... too fast. Wrong fast.

There was only 230' of gain (all of it in one climb) over the 15 mile course, but that doesn't explain my 24.9mph average on the road bike. I put in some work, 264w average for 36min, and there was one guy that was stuck with me most of the way, providing some draft benefit, I'm sure... but still. That's blistering.
I thought all you guys rode at least 25 mph averages all the time, whether uphill, downhill, into or down wind, cross wind or otherwise. IRL that is.
Old 11-19-21, 12:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Did you have your fan blowing on your back for a tailwind?
Old 11-19-21, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

What bike were you riding?

Old 11-19-21, 12:55 PM
WhyFi

I thought all you guys rode at least 25 mph averages all the time, whether uphill, downhill, into or down wind, cross wind or otherwise. IRL that is.
On our recovery days, sure.

Originally Posted by genejockey
What bike were you riding?
Canyon Aeroad 2021 and Zipp 808s. Supposed to be the fastest combo for riders under level 15 (unless it's a straight-up climbing route, then the ENVE 3.2s are likely better).
Old 11-19-21, 12:57 PM
WhyFi

It never hurts to ask!

Last weekend we bought some glass pieces for the house. Since it was a pretty big spend, I asked the shop owner for a 15% discount. He said okay without any questioning. Ended up getting one piece for free essentially. My wife was surprised. She just doesn't understand that everything is negotiable, and the worst they can say is "no."
Yup. Having been on the other side of the negotiations, I'm not afraid to ask, but I just try to keep my offers reasonable.
Old 11-19-21, 01:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

On our recovery days, sure.

Canyon Aeroad 2021 and Zipp 808s. Supposed to be the fastest combo for riders under level 15 (unless it's a straight-up climbing route, then the ENVE 3.2s are likely better).
Bike Calculator gives 23.8 mph for a 176# (I thought I remembered you saying that's your weight?) rider putting out 264 watts in the drops, and 25.8 for the same rider on aerobars. So, MAYBE not TOO far out? But, yeah - I think Zwift overestimates, I'm just not sure by how much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.