Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 09:10 AM
blonduathlongrl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
why? starting trouble this morning?
Old 01-08-07, 09:11 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This is what happens on BF on rainy days.
Old 01-08-07, 09:13 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
:rubbing my hands in anticipation:

Old 01-08-07, 09:14 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Haha... so much fun to re-read this thread. I will say that with a season of racing under my belt and being less of a noob (though still pretty much a noob-let's be honest about Cat 4 ) I feel a little conflicted about my previous posts in this thread.

Maybe it's just that I've raced around enough squirrels now to really appreciate it, but I now agree there are SOME times when you just have to let someone have it when they're doing something stupid/dangerous. I've also had some very good experiences with the experienced 4's and 3's on my team and appreciate their patience and guidance in helping me get better. Hell, ES and Smoothie have been full of sound advice and encouragement that guided me through my first season of racing.

So I guess you do have to yell sometimes, but the vast majority of the time getting dropped by a really fast group is sufficient "punishment" to fix a behavior. I guess I just hadn't seen enough of the actual dangerous stuff to really get it. But I do think in most cases you can be somewhat diplomatic about it.

And thanks again to Smoothie, ES, and the other elitists.

Last edited by DrPete; 01-08-07 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-08-07, 09:17 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
The Dr is now an elitist?
Old 01-08-07, 09:21 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Not sure if it's cosmic coincidence, or some weird karmic synchronicity, or what, but just yesterday while away from the computer I suddenly and inexplicably remembered this "We're Going To Yell At You" thread.

I don't even remember if I ever contributed to this thread, & I don't have the patience to wade through seven pages just to check, but I do want to say this:

I understand how an overreaching rider can ruin the experience for the other cyclists in a group, especially if that rider doesn't know how to stay out of people's way, or is compromising others' safety, or (most egregiously) doesn't even realize that they're overreaching. Nonetheless, if I was on a ride with the OP and found myself the target of that sort of admonishing harangue, OP would quickly discover my frame pump upside the helmet or through his spokes. Seriously.

The preferred way to remove an inexperienced rider from a group is diplomatic and discreet. Can't imagine why there would ever need to be an exception, unless the ride leader has a massive ego (and a correspondingly tiny johnson).
Old 01-08-07, 09:22 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
The Dr is now an elitist?
I don't know, am I?
Old 01-08-07, 09:24 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Not sure if it's cosmic coincidence, or some weird karmic synchronicity, or what, but just yesterday while away from the computer I suddenly and inexplicably remembered this "We're Going To Yell At You" thread.

I don't even remember if I ever contributed to this thread, & I don't have the patience to wade through seven pages just to check, but I do want to say this:

I understand how an overreaching rider can ruin the experience for the other cyclists in a group, especially if that rider doesn't know how to stay out of people's way, or is compromising others' safety, or (most egregiously) doesn't even realize that they're overreaching. Nonetheless, if I was on a ride with the OP and found myself the target of that sort of admonishing harangue, OP would quickly discover my frame pump upside the helmet or through his spokes. Seriously.

The preferred way to remove an inexperienced rider from a group is diplomatic and discreet. Can't imagine why there would ever need to be an exception, unless the ride leader has a massive ego (and a correspondingly tiny johnson).
not every ride has a 'ride leader'.
Old 01-08-07, 09:25 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Not sure if it's cosmic coincidence, or some weird karmic synchronicity, or what, but just yesterday...
...I yelled at someone who almost took me out in a rotating double paceline.
Old 01-08-07, 09:26 AM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
I don't know, am I?
you got one out of two... you got the elitist and dropped the jacka$$
Old 01-08-07, 09:31 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
not every ride has a 'ride leader'.
Then substitute "group" for "ride leader" in offending sentence.
Old 01-08-07, 09:36 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EventServices
Our Tuesday night ride is fast and furious, and strangely has no egos. It's all the fast guys in the metro-Detroit area. We rotate a double echelon at about 30mph. We sprint at pre-determined points. We regroup. We chit chat. Then we fire it up again. We have sprinters and lead-outs. But again, no egos.

And every week, we get new riders jumping into our line and trying to roll with us. That's fine. Go for it. But you should be prepared to meet a very steep learning curve.
Some fail to realize what we're doing, and when they make mistakes, we yell.

You will get yelled at for the following mistakes:
- If you're on the front, do NOT pull the line through the bumpiest section of pavement. GO AROUND IT! There is no need to trash our wheels and bodies.
- If you're on the front, don't ride on the very edge of the pavement. Give some room for the echelon behind you.
- If you're on the front, you MUST pedal down the hills. Do not coast.
- If the line is hammering and you want out, you must hammer until you are on the front - even if it kills you - and then pull off. Do not pull out of the middle of the line. That's dangerous, and it creates a gap that the rider behind you must cover. You will get yelled at.
- When it's your turn to pull through and take your turn on the front, DO NOT accelerate. That's bad.
- When it's your turn to pull off the front, flick your elbow and move smoothly to the side. Nothing abrupt.

Please do not call us elitist. And don't ask us to 'dumb down' our training ride.
Elitist? Isn't egotistical horse's patooties good enough for you?
Old 01-08-07, 09:43 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
After reading a few of these posts, and being a solo rider; I'm beginning to realize all of the fun I've been missing.
Old 01-08-07, 09:47 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I know riders who will actually grab you by the jersey and physically remove you from the line. That's how important it is to us to NOT have to deal with you.
I can't tell you how many times we quoted this line on social group rides in the months following this thread. This makes us crack up every time!

(yes, I know it's dealing with 'serious' paceline training, but when quoted in a social ride setting to new folks, it's quite ridiculous. )
Old 01-08-07, 09:51 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by CyLowe97
I can't tell you how many times we quoted this line on social group rides in the months following this thread. This makes us crack up every time!

(yes, I know it's dealing with 'serious' paceline training, but when quoted in a social ride setting to new folks, it's quite ridiculous. )
you should try it sometime.

while i've never done it to someone at full speed, i have been slungshot backwards at +/-30 MPH (by an irritable Belgian, who didn't like being told that I couldn't understand a word that he was saying).

Last edited by botto; 01-08-07 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-08-07, 10:24 AM
drmain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no problem with this, unlike many of you I accept and even embrace that Road Racing is elitist. By its very nature it has to be. If you dont like it then go take up frisbee golf, or some other candy a** sport. The point of this thread is if you go out on hard core training rides dont expect a polite explanation of everything you are doing wrong. If that is your expectation you will come away feeling pissed or picked on, expect that if you make a mistake you will hear about it immediatly. I don't see what is wrong with that??

Another way to look at it, Riders are blunt and to the point, efficiency in language.
But what if some consider road biking a candy a** sport? Just cause you ride does not mean you are tough, far from it.
Old 01-08-07, 10:26 AM
Clutch49

Bikes: 2009 Colnago EPS, 2004 KLEIN aura xv, 1998 MARINONI Ciclo, 1994 Phoenix Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Namenda
Well, my training is progressing rapidly. I yelled at two squirrels today, and you better believe they hauled their furry backsides off the front double-time. Now if they only weren't so damn short, I could grab them by the scruff of the neck and give 'em a good shove (only when necessary).

I figure I'll be ready for The Show in 6 months, tops.

This has got to be one of the funniest posts....I still crack up when I read this
Old 01-08-07, 10:34 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by drmain
But what if some consider road biking a candy a** sport? Just cause you ride does not mean you are tough, far from it.
Then they better not ride or race with me I do agree that some view our sport in that light, however they are wrong.
Old 01-08-07, 10:36 AM
drmain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then they better not ride or race with me I do agree that some view our sport in that light, however they are wrong.
I was just kidding with you, it was supposed to be a joke but it does not look right in print. I am sure it's a tough sport.
Old 01-08-07, 10:40 AM
drmain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celticfrost
Come on now! Where else is a sickly 130lb spandex clad, ex-high school marching band member, dungeons and dragons playing, geek going to exert some physical authority besides his holier than thou paceline??!! I mean these guys have been getting pushed around since they've been waiting for the bus for kindergarten, so cut them some slack, eh?
hehhehe, BINGO! You nailed it.
Old 01-08-07, 10:49 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by drmain
I was just kidding with you, it was supposed to be a joke but it does not look right in print. I am sure it's a tough sport.
I took it as such, however there is a perception out there... I guess a bunch of guys on a cold morning debating whether to wear Tights and Booties or Leg Warmers does cast a shadow on the whole toughness thing. (ed: Im closer to 190 btw)
Old 01-08-07, 11:18 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Ah, it's like seeing an old friend, this thread.
Old 01-08-07, 11:25 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
So is the present argument that nothing says BADA** like a sickly thin guy in spandex?
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Haha... so much fun to re-read this thread. I will say that with a season of racing under my belt and being less of a noob (though still pretty much a noob-let's be honest about Cat 4 ) I feel a little conflicted about my previous posts in this thread.

Maybe it's just that I've raced around enough squirrels now to really appreciate it, but I now agree there are SOME times when you just have to let someone have it when they're doing something stupid/dangerous. I've also had some very good experiences with the experienced 4's and 3's on my team and appreciate their patience and guidance in helping me get better. Hell, ES and Smoothie have been full of sound advice and encouragement that guided me through my first season of racing.

So I guess you do have to yell sometimes, but the vast majority of the time getting dropped by a really fast group is sufficient "punishment" to fix a behavior. I guess I just hadn't seen enough of the actual dangerous stuff to really get it. But I do think in most cases you can be somewhat diplomatic about it.

And thanks again to Smoothie, ES, and the other elitists.
I would just have to say that your original posts were more correct then now. You have become a better cyclist and forgot what it was like to be the new guy. You are now that "elitest" cyclist with maybe a slight ego and attitude that you are better. You said there are SOME times when you have to let someone have it. Why? "most riders who try it for the first time aren't trying to do anything malicious". There new. They dont know. If noone ever takes the time to tell them, how will they know what they are supposed to do. Also you dont ever have to yell. Why would you need to? Oh I remeber, "you had to cover a bike length because someone dropped back early. I thought you were out there to work!". What would be so difficult in nicely telling a new rider, Hey man its great you came out here but maybe you should try this day because today we need very experienced riders/racers or something of that sort. Or say you know what you just did isnt really the best way to do it. If you want to get out of the paceline do this. You appreciated the better riders not yelling and being mean to you so why not do the same to others? I can understand telling (not yelling) at a new rider what they need to do for safety but the OP acts like its the end of the world and you have to rip them apart because they coasted down a hill or maybe accidentally went on some bumpy roads. Some of these "elitest" cyclists are more rude to cyclists then cagers. What the difference between being honked off the road by a car or yelled at so you dont come back to a group ride? People just need some more patience and understanding.
crypticlineage

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8 Ultegra / 105

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This forum is no place to tell noobs on your ride what to do, advertise in your bike club mailing list that noobs are not welcome on your training rides unless they can strictly adhere to your rules. Your entire post smells of ego.

If I were in your shoes, I would not yell at anyone, but will try explaining, either before the ride or during a club meet. There is no need to yell at innocent people. You only yell at someone if they broke a rule on purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.