Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3x drivetrain on road bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 06:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am not confused, we just have different opinions.

Campy introduced 10 speed in the year 2000 or Y2K as I wrote. Shimano was not far behind.

I am not being obtuse or a troll. 10 speed is old. Not modern. Sorry if you do not like what I wrote but calling me a troll is weak.
You sucked me back in.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modern
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the present or the immediate past
- involving recent techniques, methods, or ideas
10sp is very much a current offering, therefore it is in the 'present or recent times' and it is modern.

This is a simple word and one of us is using the word correctly, while the orher continues to ignore its meaning and apply their own definition to it.
Old 06-01-22, 06:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You sucked me back in.

10sp is very much a current offering, therefore it is in the 'present or recent times' and it is modern.

This is a simple word and one of us is using the word correctly, while the orher continues to ignore its meaning and apply their own definition to it.
22 years ago might be recent to you.

The simple word you fail to understand is "opinion"......in my opinion, 10 speed is old. It was introduced in the 2000-2004 timeframe. Of course, I still have old bikes with 10 speed gearing. I do not consider it modern or recent. To be specific, I would consider two generations to be recent....not four.

When you have to resort to the dictionary to win the internet.....
Old 06-01-22, 06:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
22 years ago might be recent to you.

The simple word you fail to understand is "opinion"......in my opinion, 10 speed is old. It was introduced in the 2000-2004 timeframe. Of course, I still have old bikes with 10 speed gearing. I do not consider it modern or recent. To be specific, I would consider two generations to be recent....not four.

When you have to resort to the dictionary to win the internet.....
I resorted to the dictionary because you are misusing a word. This entire forum depends on communication to work, which means words need to be understood.
You misused a word and I found it funny since it was so obviously misused.

You are correct in saying 10sp has been around a long time. The internal combustion engine has also been around a long time, but a new car sold in 2022 has a modern engine in it, even though gas powered tech was created before either of the Great Wars.

10sp is current. 10sp is present. 10sp is recent.
10sp is modern.

^ if you choose to use your own 'facts' or live by your own 'truth' like so many seem to now do, thats on you. For everyone else, something that is currently made and falls within the middle of a product line is considered modern.