Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On the go repair of tire flats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On the go repair of tire flats

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 07:03 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Plan A: Replace the tube with the spare that I carry in the saddle bag
Plab B: Patch the hole with Park glueless patches, if I can find the hole (potential issue with limited CO2)
Plan C: Hope I have cell service to call the wife

I used to carry a mini pump... until I actually had to use it. After about half a million pumps (actual number, no hyperbole here!), the thing bent the valve on the new tube I had just installed. Now I carry CO2, which has its own drawbacks - limited supply (a problem with a double flat or stupidly pinch the tube when installing), expensive.
Old 08-25-21, 12:50 PM
Not2Bright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have to throw a Schrader adapter in my tool kit. I had a flat earlier this year in front of a house and the guy offered an air compressor to pump it up but with the presta and no adapter I was stuck using my little hand pump.
Likes For Not2Bright:
Old 08-25-21, 02:11 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Self adhesive patches are crap. Absolute garbage. I have experienced about a 75% failure rate with them.

Rema Tip Top are the way to go. Keep a small number of known good (including previously patched punctured tubes) for on-the road repairs, and patch the newly damaged ones when you get home.

I have only ever had one separate glue-and-patch repair jobs fail and it was a cheapo patch kit and not a Rema.
Old 08-27-21, 12:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Pump (Road Morph G), 2 tubes, patch kit (Rema), and a spare tire. The real point of the spare tire is that I don't have to look for the object in the tire which caused the flat, which is the major loss of time involved in fixing a flat. The teensy amount of time lost due to the 220g tire is more than made up for by the time saving in flat fixing, should that happen of course. Thus my rig is set up around the idea of riding long distances.
Old 08-30-21, 11:22 AM
oleg232000

Bikes: Litepseed Catalyst Neutral Support Bike, La Pierre Spicy Team, Mercier Kilo TT, Cannondale Multisport2000, Goffa BMX, Haro Dave Mirra Freestyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
UH I hoped for more people pushing towards Co2 LOL

I really dont like carrying a bunch of stuff on me when I ride, especially a pump. But I can foresee that having 2 tubes and a pump, and Im basically set for anything other than a complete tire tear through. That Road Morph G pump from Carbonfiberboy looks compact and not too pricey.
Old 08-30-21, 11:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
rema
+1