Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 12:04 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Flip them how? With the open end to the front? I actually hadn't thought of that.

Since I'm going to be spending a lot of time in traffic, I wanted the brakes and shifters on the closer, more upright position, with mounting space for computers and such on the higher, farther bars I'll use for reach.

Do you have them set up the other way? How do you like them?

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I'm a big fan of trekking bars myself but do you really like them turned upside down? I tried it and didn't like it, and I'm wondering if you've tried them both ways.
Old 05-11-16, 12:43 AM
BigSung

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cormacf
Flip them how? With the open end to the front? I actually hadn't thought of that.

Since I'm going to be spending a lot of time in traffic, I wanted the brakes and shifters on the closer, more upright position, with mounting space for computers and such on the higher, farther bars I'll use for reach.

I have a thread that shows how I installed my trekking bar. What Jeff Neese means that in your current install your bar position is lower than if you flipped it around...think of it as a plate...your plate is currently facing down...if you flip around to other side then you will notice that the bar is raised a bit more and additionally the bands will look like bar end risers. https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...tion-pics.html
Old 05-11-16, 01:02 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Gotchya.

For that particular bike/stem combo, I definitely like it the way I have it set up right now. I'm actually a little too far back on my seat right now (and I should probably get a setback seatpost, since my knees are a teensy bit forward at the moment), so I actually pivoted the inside part of the bar down to give it a little more distance, which actually brought the far bar a tiny but closer. When I replace the seatpost, I'll probably look at swapping out the stem, though, at which point I'll probably reevaluate the bar positioning.

Thanks!

P.S. That cork tape of yours looks comfy. I got the Deda cheapo stuff, since i didn't want to spend $100 on Brooks tape to wrap the bars on a bike with a $45 frame, but when that wears out (soon), I'll probably go with cork.

Originally Posted by BigSung
I have a thread that shows how I installed my trekking bar. What Jeff Neese means that in your current install your bar position is lower than if you flipped it around...think of it as a plate...your plate is currently facing down...if you flip around to other side then you will notice that the bar is raised a bit more and additionally the bands will look like bar end risers. https://www.bikeforums.net/fitting-yo...tion-pics.html
Old 05-11-16, 07:04 AM
Pawlus

Bikes: Moser Leader NP, Koga Miyata WT 86'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@coolkat
I saw it in a catch of the day thread. Wow, you were fast with that conversion. And it turned out real nice!
Old 05-11-16, 08:44 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Yeah, the 830 is just too small. It's torn down again. With that, and the Trek 620 orphan group, the MB-2 rides again. This seems like a good fit actually, but the bars could be higher. I guess I need another 180mm quill stem. Origin 8 in silver of course. It needs some color somehow, but I am glad it's not the red and moss green paint scheme. I will find something.,,,,BD

How 'bout cream Longboard fenders and tanwalls, brown saddle, brown or dark red bar wrap? Too much?

Originally Posted by kevins08
Just finished this build for a friend. Built from a bare frame. Should make a great camping rig, i love how it turned out!

Full details in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post18752975

Coolest build I have seen in months! Nice job. Is that a flashlight mounted to the stem? How?
Old 05-11-16, 08:50 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf

No, I mean you have them on upside down, not backwards. Of course there's technically no right or wrong way to install them and I've seen a number of configurations, but this is the traditional setup. 1993 Rockhopper, and 1992 Trek 930. So yes, I love trekking bars and my wife's two bikes have them also.

Also a picture of the Rockhopper's new setup. The drop bars do allow me to put more weight over the front wheel and lower my overall center of gravity. Downhill at speed over sketchy terrain is the big payoff. I feel safer and more in control. Plus I rediscovered the joys of friction shifting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rockhopper - 1st setup.jpg (109.7 KB, 793 views)
Trekking bars setup.jpg (103.7 KB, 788 views)
1. Full-sm .jpg (102.6 KB, 796 views)

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 05-11-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 09:24 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I installed trekking bars the same way on my Alpine GT a few years back. I was using road brake levers and the "up" position felt totally wrong. Down they felt more like moustache bars, and more ergonomic.,,,,BD

Longboard fenders, maybe. Skinwalls, definitely! I looked all over for skinwall Pasela TG's in 26 inch, and wore my eyes out. If you could point in that direction I'd be appreciative for sure.
Old 05-11-16, 09:28 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
welp I guess I know what my next build will be . . .
Old 05-11-16, 10:06 AM
cormacf

I got mine here. I have the 700s on my Rivendell in 28s, and I love them (though I'll probably move to 32mm when they burn out). Super-pliable, great in turns, comfy.

Originally Posted by Bikedued
I installed trekking bars the same way on my Alpine GT a few years back. I was using road brake levers and the "up" position felt totally wrong. Down they felt more like moustache bars, and more ergonomic.,,,,BD

Longboard fenders, maybe. Skinwalls, definitely! I looked all over for skinwall Pasela TG's in 26 inch, and wore my eyes out. If you could point in that direction I'd be appreciative for sure.
Old 05-11-16, 01:21 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Question for those who have installed front racks: Have you found that any of the racks designed to mount to canti bosses that work well with MTB spacing? I'm assuming they are designed for 700c bikes and MTB spacing between the bosses and the fork crown will probably be different.

Specifically, I love the look of the VO Hunter Pass front rack, but feel like it's almost guaranteed not to fit on the Hardrock.
Old 05-11-16, 02:34 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Question for those who have installed front racks: Have you found that any of the racks designed to mount to canti bosses that work well with MTB spacing? I'm assuming they are designed for 700c bikes and MTB spacing between the bosses and the fork crown will probably be different.

Specifically, I love the look of the VO Hunter Pass front rack, but feel like it's almost guaranteed not to fit on the Hardrock.
The cheap Sunlite one I used worked with no issues on my 91-ish MTB. I think the mounting tabs are somewhat adjustable IIRC.
Old 05-11-16, 03:24 PM
kevins08 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
The cheap Sunlite one I used worked with no issues on my 91-ish MTB. I think the mounting tabs are somewhat adjustable IIRC.

Same one I used on the Univega. I have used it in the past on many styles of bikes as well and it works extremely well for what it is and the price.
Old 05-12-16, 08:24 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

It looks like other people have made the VO rack work on MTBs with some massaging, but I also noticed that my fork does not have two thru holes, but just one threaded hole on the front. Not sure I want to bother drilling out a fork. That eliminates any of the really nice racks with a threaded boss mounted through the fork. The Sunlite one looks decent, but I was hoping for a slightly taller support on the back to mount a rando style bag to it.
Old 05-12-16, 09:02 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
There are so many super re-imagined mtb's of late. Really fun to see.
That Peugeot transformation is tremendous cormacf.

Some time back I posted an 87 Cimarron I liked a lot b4 the frame broke.
I had enjoyed many great rides on it and was disappointed when that happened.

Unexpectedly the exact bike in size and color popped up on my local CL and I
happened to be the 1st responder to ad and bought it about 10 days back.

I really like the process of totally disassembling and then rebuilding to my preferences.
With a pretty good stash of used parts on hand I finished it up in a day and a half
and enjoyed a 10 mile ride on it yesterday. Hopefully more of the same will happen today.
It will get tweaked over time as I ride it and determine any other changes I want to make.

In the meantime I hope to ride it a lot with a big smile on my face.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 05-12-16, 09:07 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
There are so many super re-imagined mtb's of late. Really fun to see.
That Peugeot transformation is tremendous cormacf.

Some time back I posted an 87 Cimarron I liked a lot b4 the frame broke.
I had enjoyed many great rides on it and was disappointed when that happened.

I really like the process of totally disassembling and then rebuilding to my preferences.
With a pretty good stash of used parts on hand I finished it up in a day and a half
and enjoyed a 10 mile ride on it yesterday. Hopefully more of the same will happen today.
It will get tweaked over time as I ride it and determine any other changes I want to make.

In the meantime I hope to ride it a lot with a big smile on my face.

I like how well the saddle and bar tape match. That really looks sharp.
Old 05-12-16, 09:08 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Seeing the front mini racks on a few of the builds designed to attach at the canti braze on posts
it caused me to wonder about the ability of that contact point to bear a load safely.

Any one have insight into that?
I would expect if you don't go too crazy with the weight all would be .

I have a Sunlite mini front rack
was thinking of mounting on one of my bikes.

What amount of weight are y'all carrying up front?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-16, 02:20 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Seeing the front mini racks on a few of the builds designed to attach at the canti braze on posts
it caused me to wonder about the ability of that contact point to bear a load safely.

Any one have insight into that?
I would expect if you don't go too crazy with the weight all would be .

I have a Sunlite mini front rack
was thinking of mounting on one of my bikes.

What amount of weight are y'all carrying up front?

Thanks.
The Sunlite is supposedly rated to take 40 pounds. I don't think I'd try that, though. Mostly I'm looking for a small rack as a rando bag support. But the more I look at bags and racks, the more it looks like a rack and bag combo might cost more than the bike.
Old 05-12-16, 02:26 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My just converted 90 trek 930.. still needs work on the brakes.. but finished enough for a ride to work today.
Attached Images
20160512_110335.jpg (104.2 KB, 925 views)
Old 05-12-16, 02:33 PM
BigSung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome back! Love the look of the new build.
Old 05-12-16, 02:35 PM
BigSung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GordoTrek
My just converted 90 trek 930.. still needs work on the brakes.. but finished enough for a ride to work today.
Looks like you are running brifters. Which front derailleur are you using?
Old 05-13-16, 07:11 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like you are running brifters. Which front derailleur are you using?

[h=1]Shimano FD-M661 SLX, still working out the quirks with everything. [/h]
Old 05-13-16, 07:27 AM
Gotcha38

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd love to see some of the bikes in this thread being ridden, if anyone has any in action pictures. Some of the hand positions seem to be unfamiliar to me.
Old 05-13-16, 10:23 AM
BigSung

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GordoTrek

Shimano FD-M661 SLX, still working out the quirks with everything.
I had tough time to shift reliably with older XT M730 FD, so I ended up going with bar end shifter for the front. It would be good to see if you can get that working reliably.
Old 05-13-16, 03:00 PM
GordoTrek

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I had tough time to shift reliably with older XT M730 FD, so I ended up going with bar end shifter for the front. It would be good to see if you can get that working reliably.
it shifts fine in the front, i get a bit of chain rub though. i installed an adjuster coming from the brifter which helped but it still rubs in some gears. the really problem is the brakes.
Old 05-14-16, 12:18 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I had my High Sierra all drop barred- that wasn't working out so swell for me- so I got a set of trekking bars- I'm in the middle of trying out some things with it.

I think things are positive so far.

Just out of curiosity- for those of you that are used to more "road" bikes- does anyone else have issues with the smaller (48-38) chainrings? As much as I think that I like lower geared bikes- I'm spinning much more than I'm used to- it's not normal to me.

The other thing- anyone notice much of a difference between ATB 175 cranks and 170 'road' cranks?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.