Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 04:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Seriosuly, I want this dog gone. I can’t take it anymore. Mostly blind, deaf, dementia, senile, and smells like rotting dog poop all the time. Give her a bath 30 mins later she stinks. She thinka she’s a rooster, she senses first light and barks for no ******g reason. I could go on, but I think you all get the point.
Old 01-16-23, 04:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
well that was about as expensive as a 105 mechanical group set.

It was a good day until I almost tripped over the damn dog and woke Simon up, but it’s my fault.

Seriosuly, I want this dog gone. I can’t take it anymore. Mostly blind, deaf, dementia, senile, and smells like rotting dog poop all the time. Give her a bath 30 mins later she stinks. She thinka she’s a rooster, she senses first light and barks for no ******g reason. I could go on, but I think you all get the point.
Don't know the particular situation, but I can tell you that Mrs. GeneJockey feels regret for nursing our old Eskie along for as long as she did, and she wonders who she was doing it for. It's a decision we end up having to make, having largely taken nature out of the question. With Zeena, our first Greyhound, she kind of made it clear to us when the time was. She had advanced Lymphoma, and was eating less and less. When she stopped entirely and wouldn't even eat her very favorite things, we knew it was time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-16-23, 04:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
well that was about as expensive as a 105 mechanical group set.

It was a good day until I almost tripped over the damn dog and woke Simon up, but it’s my fault.

Diamond earrings for $580 or so? And, she's happy? Lucky guy - keep her!

Don't know what to tell you about the dog. Things with names are always tough to get rid of.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-16-23, 05:16 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm anti-leafblower. Rakes only at LoP Farms. Not about to rake wet leaves though.
I wonder how long it would take you to clean out all this ivy using a rake?

Old 01-16-23, 05:20 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
From these trees:

Old 01-16-23, 05:43 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Diamond earrings for $580 or so? And, she's happy? Lucky guy - keep her!

Don't know what to tell you about the dog. Things with names are always tough to get rid of.

Dude I am truly blessed. We went to a couple well known jewelry stores, and it was ridiculous what they wanted. Even the outlet store was a joke. She took it in stride and then set let’s go to (input big/club store here). We don’t have a membership but her parents do. It took about 40 mins for someone to actually come and help us. Save that rant for another day. The had 4 sizes, first pair were 1/2 carat for a price of mechanical 105. Second pair was 3/4 for the price of 105 hydraulic. Third pair was 1 carat priced at 105 di2.

She asked to look at the first 2 pairs and held each pair up to here ear. She said the 105 hydraulic was too big for her, so she wanted the mechanical.
I am a lucky man.

Shes going to get me back when it’s time to upgrade her ring.

The Dog is 16 years old. We got her when we first started dating. Kids change things and ever since our daughter was born we became over being dog people. Since then she has developed all of these problems, but she shows no signs of slowing down. She will outlive all of us just to spit me.

Earlier I was browsing this site. Wife asked what I was doing, told her I was looking for a dog hitman. Seems like a hole in the job market that needs filling.
Old 01-16-23, 05:44 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I'm anti-leafblower. Rakes only at LoP Farms. Not about to rake wet leaves though.

I didn’t know PHX had leaves. I thought you had rocks? Do you rake your rocks?

#Zin
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-16-23, 05:46 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts

Your light pole is bent.
Old 01-16-23, 05:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Diamond earrings for $580 or so? And, she's happy? Lucky guy
We kind of gave up on the jewelry thing when the pretty nice engagement and wedding rings went to the bottom of the Caribbean off St. Lucia. Silicone rings are cheap and safe.
Old 01-16-23, 05:58 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts

I'd hit it with the line trimmer with a chain on it first, then rake up the carnage. easy peasy
Old 01-16-23, 06:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I didn’t know PHX had leaves. I thought you had rocks? Do you rake your rocks?

#Zin
The fig tree is the messiest one on the property, then the bulk trash pickup was about 3 weeks late, so the orange tree branches I put out shed all their leaves in that time, so that needs a little rake work.
Old 01-16-23, 06:00 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
There was never a way to collect most of the rain water in SoCal. We get our water from aqueducts which bring it from far away. Right/wrong? I don't know but this area was built without foresight, no public transportation, etc.

Developers fight to build large tracts of houses but there isn't water to support them. A local developer fought for years to build near Magic Mountain. They finally got the green light for thousands of homes, 10,000 in one area we visited recently. They plan on pumping ground water which has been used by smaller communities downstream. Those communities didn't have the money to beat the developer, at least that's how it looks to me.

We did notice the new development has nothing green. No trees, no lawns, nothing. That may change.
I’m guessing CA has more important/pressing water needs than nice, green and lush lawns.
Old 01-16-23, 06:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Oh, you want to keep the ivy, but get the leaves out of it. Probably only 25% longer with the rake, might be asking for sore shoulders in the morning though.
Old 01-16-23, 06:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I’m guessing CA has more important/pressing water needs than nice, green and lush lawns.
That's the point. It may have been a stipulation of getting the ok for the building. My friend told me lawns are prohibited in a development near him yet people are putting lawns in anyway.
Old 01-16-23, 06:10 PM
Mojo31
-------

Oh, you want to keep the ivy, but get the leaves out of it. Probably only 25% longer with the rake, might be asking for sore shoulders in the morning though.
Here I was thinking RoundUp might be a good investment.
Old 01-16-23, 06:15 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
I'd hit it with the line trimmer with a chain on it first, then rake up the carnage. easy peasy
I'd leave it alone.
Old 01-16-23, 06:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by rjones28
I'd leave it alone.
Hitting it with a line trimmer with a chain on it would be more satisfying for me.

#notafanofivy
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-16-23, 06:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Dude I am truly blessed. We went to a couple well known jewelry stores, and it was ridiculous what they wanted. Even the outlet store was a joke. She took it in stride and then set let’s go to (input big/club store here). We don’t have a membership but her parents do. It took about 40 mins for someone to actually come and help us. Save that rant for another day. The had 4 sizes, first pair were 1/2 carat for a price of mechanical 105. Second pair was 3/4 for the price of 105 hydraulic. Third pair was 1 carat priced at 105 di2.

She asked to look at the first 2 pairs and held each pair up to here ear. She said the 105 hydraulic was too big for her, so she wanted the mechanical.
I am a lucky man.

Shes going to get me back when it’s time to upgrade her ring.

The Dog is 16 years old. We got her when we first started dating. Kids change things and ever since our daughter was born we became over being dog people. Since then she has developed all of these problems, but she shows no signs of slowing down. She will outlive all of us just to spit me.

Earlier I was browsing this site. Wife asked what I was doing, told her I was looking for a dog hitman. Seems like a hole in the job market that needs filling.
Half carat is a good size for an earing. That's what my wife has.

Diamond prices are obscene right now. I was shocked to imagine what my SIL spent on the 3 carat engagement ring he gave my girl.

Of course, she then found a CZ near identical ring on Amazon for about $60. She took that to Africa, and left the real deal in our safe. I was nervous about having it in our house.

By the way, my wife has nothing like that. Much more modest about her jewelry.
Old 01-16-23, 06:24 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
That's the point. It may have been a stipulation of getting the ok for the building. My friend told me lawns are prohibited in a development near him yet people are putting lawns in anyway.
Gotcha. It makes sense. I thought I saw that Nevada or Arizona was actually paying people to convert their green lawn to a natural lawn/crushed stone to stop all that water use.

We put irrigation in when we moved into our house and while we use it periodically during the summer, we’re limited by the town to day and time and duration. Looking back, we should have never spent the money on it.
Old 01-16-23, 06:25 PM
Mojo31
-------

Hitting it with a line trimmer with a chain on it would be more satisfying for me.

#notafanofivy
At least until you hit your shin with it.
Old 01-16-23, 06:31 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by rjones28
Your light pole is bent.
It's not mine.
If you're only spending 25% longer that's because you're leaving like 1/3-1/2 of the leaves underneath that the blower would blow out.

A rake is in my tool kit for part of the leaf work, but it's terrible for use in the ivy.
Old 01-16-23, 06:31 PM
Mojo31
-------

Gotcha. It makes sense. I thought I saw that Nevada or Arizona was actually paying people to convert their green lawn to a natural lawn/crushed stone to stop all that water use.

We put irrigation in when we moved into our house and while we use it periodically during the summer, we’re limited by the town to day and time and duration. Looking back, we should have never spent the money on it.
We sometimes run our system 7 days a week in the summer. We do have a high efficiency system though.

It's mostly drip at the commercial building, but we also pay commercial water rates.
Old 01-16-23, 06:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts

Someone around here, maybe it was the dep't of water and power or the city, had some program to help pay for changing landscaping. I'm a renter so it doesn't concern me.
I think in Tuscon lawns are illegal. I like the look of the natural landscaping there.
Old 01-16-23, 06:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

It's not mine.

If you're only spending 25% longer that's because you're leaving like 1/3-1/2 of the leaves underneath that the blower would blow out.

A rake is in my tool kit for part of the leaf work, but it's terrible for use in the ivy.
Meh, if they're underneath why bother with 'em? I'd treat ivy like a hedge I just trimmed, just rake out the surface stuff that looks ugly. Complete eradication sounds better to me though.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-16-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-16-23, 06:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't think the City of Phoenix has such a program. I've been gradually reducing the amount of lawn here for free. Just eliminated the Northeast lawn grass over the past few months. Wish I'd gotten some rocks in before these rains came, now there will be some hoop-hoe work before the gravel goes in

Looks like Mesa and Chandler have grass lawn removal incentives

https://www.12news.com/article/tech/...feet%20removed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.