Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 06:48 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Probably the early 1980s, Tom Kellogg built Ross Signature Criterium, which was a $2000 bicycle in its day.
A couple builders built them
Old 11-27-16, 07:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm looking forward to having this in my hands so I can post more photos, and it definitely belongs on the thread...

Old 11-28-16, 12:50 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
This "Ross" being raced by Cindy Whitehead in 1986 was actually a Klein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cindy_carmen.jpg (97.5 KB, 618 views)
Old 11-28-16, 08:57 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I have to say, those are about the biggest guns I've ever seen on a serious athlete.
Old 11-29-16, 12:53 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
^ Ross riders were build a little more solid, BITD
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 11-29-16, 02:05 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I have to say, those are about the biggest guns I've ever seen on a serious athlete.
This is Cindy moments after finishing her legendary 1986 win over a 50 mile course with no saddle on the bike.
Attached Images
cindy01.jpg (80.5 KB, 597 views)
Old 11-29-16, 06:40 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
...that begs the question... Oh, never mind. Let's leave it unasked.
Old 12-02-16, 03:35 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Keeping the thread alive. Here is a Signature 294S that I picked up from the local CL. It has some upgrades, mostly good ones. Frame is a little rougher than I would have liked, but it will be a good everyday rider once I tweak a few things. And black is an easy touch-up.

What I like about it: the geometry is like a road/crit bike, but it has room for 28mm tires and fenders (and has eyelets).
For the record, I just threw on a pair of Matrix rims/32mm Paselas and PB fenders with no trouble.
Old 01-07-17, 08:07 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
This "Ross" being raced by Cindy Whitehead in 1986 was actually a Klein.
Square stays? Cool bike.

Originally Posted by Repack Rider
This is Cindy moments after finishing her legendary 1986 win over a 50 mile course with no saddle on the bike.
Maui wowee!

Last edited by Bikerider007; 01-07-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 07:59 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Info Needed on Ross Aristocrat

This looks like the right place to ask: There has been some question as to the origin of my current favorite bike, what I was told was a 1982 Ross Aristocrat. The only one I've seen that lists a date is a 1979.

Can someone here tell me what year the Aristocrat was produced, and whether Tom Kellogg and/or Jim Redcay were involved in the design or build or both?

Here is mine in its current configuration:

Also, does anyone (KonAaron Snake?) have any further information on the 531-framed Tom Kellogg Signature Touring bike? Recently I had one slip through my fingers, (someone sniped it from me on Madison, WI Craigslist), and I would like to know just how rare they are, and whether anyone here has one they would like to sell.

Also riding impressions - does it ride as good as it looks?

Thanks!
DQR

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 01-27-17 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 09:09 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

First - I didn't snipe it from you...I contacted him well before you did and commented on it in that thread before you did. I was about halfway to completing the transaction by the time you posted. I elected not to discuss closing the deal until the deal was done and consideration had changed hands, which took a fair bit of time to complete.

As far as the ride...it's actually much quicker and more on the sporty side than I expected it to be based on the geometry. It's probably the lightest of this style bike I've had go through my hands, and I've had a few. I'm very partial to TK's bicycle design. I haven't ridden it with anything more than a lock on the back yet. Bike's a little on the smaller side for me and a stem change is likely in order.

All told, TK built around 200 frames during his brief tenure at Ross...of which, around 135 were the touring model. I found those numbers posted by Mr. Kellogg regarding his time at Ross. Redcay replaced TK, so he would not have been involved. They're quite rare, but not as rare as a crit model.

The TK built bikes all brandish his signature. The TK designed bikes, like the 294, say designed by TK. I don't think he had anything to do with the Aristocrat model. Member Pogue had an Aristocrat, but I haven't seen him around in a while; I'd GUESS they probably date 1980 or so. Probably a pre-TK attempt to enter the better ranges of the LBS market.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-27-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 11:13 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
First - I didn't snipe it from you...I contacted him well before you did and commented on it in that thread before you did. I was about halfway to completing the transaction by the time you posted. I elected not to discuss closing the deal until the deal was done and consideration had changed hands, which took a fair bit of time to complete.

As far as the ride...it's actually much quicker and more on the sporty side than I expected it to be based on the geometry. It's probably the lightest of this style bike I've had go through my hands, and I've had a few. I'm very partial to TK's bicycle design. I haven't ridden it with anything more than a lock on the back yet. Bike's a little on the smaller side for me and a stem change is likely in order.

All told, TK built around 200 frames during his brief tenure at Ross...of which, around 135 were the touring model. I found those numbers posted by Mr. Kellogg regarding his time at Ross. Redcay replaced TK, so he would not have been involved. They're quite rare, but not as rare as a crit model.

The TK built bikes all brandish his signature. The TK designed bikes, like the 294, say designed by TK. I don't think he had anything to do with the Aristocrat model. Member Pogue had an Aristocrat, but I haven't seen him around in a while; I'd GUESS they probably date 1980 or so. Probably a pre-TK attempt to enter the better ranges of the LBS market.
OH! I had no idea we were talking about the same bike. I saw your post up top there and thought you might know some of the answers I sought. The reason I used the term "sniped" is because of this post I received from Dirk, the owner, sent to me on the day before Halloween:

Message body

Hi Gary- Thanks for your interest.Give me an email address and phone number,
and I will hold the bike until next weekend.

Thanks --Dirk

I've no hard feelings about this; you obviously made an offer he liked better. It's nice to have the mystery solved, though.

So I was reading a piece in "peloton" about TK, where he said that his design philosophy is to have the bike "disappear" beneath the rider. Depending on so many factors: riding style, body type, etc., he designs the bike to give that "one-with-the-machine" feeling (my words, not his) by using custom angles and combinations of different frame tubing for each application.

The Aristocrat feels that way to me, so I was wondering whether that was the TK touch, or just a bit of serendipity in my acquisition. One question remains: What year was this bike made?

Old 01-27-17, 11:23 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by DQRider
OH! I had no idea we were talking about the same bike. I saw your post up top there and thought you might know some of the answers I sought. The reason I used the term "sniped" is because of this post I received from Dirk, the owner, sent to me on the day before Halloween:

Message body

Hi Gary- Thanks for your interest.Give me an email address and phone number,
and I will hold the bike until next weekend.

Thanks --Dirk

I've no hard feelings about this; you obviously made an offer he liked better. It's nice to have the mystery solved, though.

So I was reading a piece in "peloton" about TK, where he said that his design philosophy is to have the bike "disappear" beneath the rider. Depending on so many factors: riding style, body type, etc., he designs the bike to give that "one-with-the-machine" feeling (my words, not his) by using custom angles and combinations of different frame tubing for each application.

The Aristocrat feels that way to me, so I was wondering whether that was the TK touch, or just a bit of serendipity in my acquisition. One question remains: What year was this bike made?
Gotcha...I assumed you knew. I had discussed it before:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...illy-joel.html

I'm glad it's not "a thing".

Actually, I just paid asking price. There wasn't a bidding war...he picked my offer because it was the first cash offer and because he liked how much I love TK and his history. Seller was a real gentleman. One of the things I like best about "this thing of ours" is the folks you meet along the way.

I don't THINK Pogue was ever able to definitively answer the year on the model, but I'm almost certain it's 78' - 80'. Regardless, it's a very nice bike and I'm glad you like it. If you ever get a chance at a 90s Merlin...take it.
Old 01-27-17, 12:19 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Gotcha...I assumed you knew. I had discussed it before:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...illy-joel.html

I'm glad it's not "a thing".

Actually, I just paid asking price. There wasn't a bidding war...he picked my offer because it was the first cash offer and because he liked how much I love TK and his history. Seller was a real gentleman. One of the things I like best about "this thing of ours" is the folks you meet along the way.

I don't THINK Pogue was ever able to definitively answer the year on the model, but I'm almost certain it's 78' - 80'. Regardless, it's a very nice bike and I'm glad you like it. If you ever get a chance at a 90s Merlin...take it.
Well, thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that thread. The phrase "cash is king" rings true for a reason (I had offered Paypal). So it seems that Ross had a few golden years there when they produced world-class road bikes before they began to concentrate on the MTBs. It seems that they could have given Trek a run for their money during that time, but chose another path.

So, how does the TK Signature Touring compare with classic Trek touring bikes like the 5- or 720?

Old 01-27-17, 12:27 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
This looks like the right place to ask: There has been some question as to the origin of my current favorite bike, what I was told was a 1982 Ross Aristocrat. The only one I've seen that lists a date is a 1979.

Can someone here tell me what year the Aristocrat was produced, and whether Tom Kellogg and/or Jim Redcay were involved in the design or build or both?...
I am fairly certain that what you have is a 1983 Aristocrat. The 1982 date may come from component date codes or the serial number, both of which may date to late 1982. The Aristocrat was the replacement for the Super Gran Tour XV. If you check the 1982 catalogue on Velobase you will see that there is no Aristocrat but the the Super Gran Tour XV is similarly spec'd, with the major difference being the triple crank. I have a dated 1983 spec sheet that lists the Aristocrat and the model numbers are the same as those used for the Super Gran Tour XV, right down to the colour code! There's no Aristocrat in the 1985 catalogue and I doubt it existed in 1984, as 600EX was replaced by New 600EX in 1984. The evidence suggests that the Aristocrat was a single year model, unless Ross reused the name.
Old 01-27-17, 12:40 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I am fairly certain that what you have is a 1983 Aristocrat. The 1982 date may come from component date codes or the serial number, both of which may date to late 1982. The Aristocrat was the replacement for the Super Gran Tour XV. If you check the 1982 catalogue on Velobase you will see that there is no Aristocrat but the the Super Gran Tour XV is similarly spec'd, with the major difference being the triple crank. I have a dated 1983 spec sheet that lists the Aristocrat and the model numbers are the same as those used for the Super Gran Tour XV, right down to the colour code! There's no Aristocrat in the 1985 catalogue and I doubt it existed in 1984, as 600EX was replaced by New 600EX in 1984. The evidence suggests that the Aristocrat was a single year model, unless Ross reused the name.
Thanks, as always, for your clarity and knowledge T-mar!

I've never actually owned one of those Treks, so i really can't say.
Old 01-27-17, 01:00 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Thanks for taking the time to look, T-Mar. I had seen Velobase, but haven't really used it much.
I've bookmarked it for future reference.

1983 puts it one year after the TK Signature bikes appeared, so there may well have been some influence in the design. That would make sense. And now I get to go and research Merlin! This bike hobby rabbit hole just goes deeper and deeper...

Old 01-28-17, 08:08 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

T-mar, did the super gran tour use ishiwata 022? I thought they were hi-ten? That's a pretty big difference.
Old 01-28-17, 08:39 AM
T-Mar

T-mar, did the super gran tour use ishiwata 022? I thought they were hi-ten? That's a pretty big difference.
The 1982 catalogue states "lightweight chromoly tubing" for the Super Gran Tour XV. The specific tubeset is not mentioned but the photo shows what appears to be an Ishiwata decal with a leading "0". So, 022 is a possibility but given the era and use, 024 would also be a distinct possibility. The 1983 Aristocrat specs state 024. Earlier versions may possibly have been hi-tensile but I can't say for sure.
Old 02-23-17, 05:51 PM
Duke of Prunes

Bikes: '85 Miyata 610; '84 Trek 610; '81 Super Le Tour; '84 Sekai 3000; '81 Lotus Eclair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Unsigned signatures

... .and even within the Signature line, there were less noteworthy models without builder attribution

I just stumbled across a few more tidbits on Ross. The top line Signature series was established in 1981. As noted in an earlier post, the builder was Tom Kellog, who left in 1983 and was replaced by Jim Redcay. In 1984 there were 5 Signature series bicycles and 7 "sub-Signature" models using CrMO tubing. The top line Signature Road Criterium cost $2100.00 US - not a typo! In addition to these 12 top and mid-range models, Ross apparently produced 90+ models of low end bicycles, tricyles and wagons. No wonder their entry-level reputation was/is hard to shake off!
Old 05-01-17, 09:52 PM
Berone

Bikes: Trek Madonne 2.1, Dahon Mariner, Scott Aspect 980, Ross Bear Mountain

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to jump right in here with my first post, despite the fact that I am embarrassed by the condition I have allowed this bike to fall into. It was a gift to me about 30 years ago after my previous bike was stolen. It's a Ross, but I don't recall the model. I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out based on the components. This one was stolen as well, but I recovered it. When I did it was in fairly rough shape, all of the decals pretty much scraped off. I wrapped it with vinyl tape to cover up the damage and make the bike look even more unappealing. It's been sitting for about 10 years in my back shed. My son is now 8 and riding a mountain bike and liking riding on the grass. I ride a road bike now, but thought I would get the old Ross back into shape and check out some of the trails in our area. I'm pretty sure I got the bike in '87, but I suppose it could have been an '86 model, depending on what Frank's Bike Shop in the Lower East Side of Manhattan had in stock when my then girlfriend bought it. Photos attached. Okay, so the bike was red, white and blue. There is an "R" engraved into the stem. Suntour derailleurs, Lee Chi Sine Power brakes, Araya wheels.
Thanks,
Anthony
Attached Images
Ross Stem.jpg (103.4 KB, 477 views)
rear derailleur.jpg (103.7 KB, 480 views)
ross fork.jpg (104.0 KB, 480 views)
front deraileur.jpg (103.2 KB, 480 views)
ross brakes.jpg (101.8 KB, 474 views)
ross shifters.jpg (100.1 KB, 475 views)

Last edited by Berone; 05-01-17 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 03:14 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Berone
I'm going to jump right in here with my first post... It was a gift to me about 30 years ago after my previous bike was stolen. It's a Ross, but I don't recall the model. I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out based on the components... I'm pretty sure I got the bike in '87, but I suppose it could have been an '86 model... Photos attached....
Welcome to the forums. The subject bicycle appears to be a 1987 Ross Bear Mountain.
Old 05-02-17, 04:10 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,009 Times in 517 Posts
There was a thread a few weeks ago on a similar Ross Bear Mountain.
Old 05-02-17, 07:06 AM
Berone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! I'll go looking for that thread. This is perfect, since I now live about 10 minutes from Bear Mountain.
Old 05-02-17, 09:09 AM
Berone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The subject bicycle appears to be a 1987 Ross Bear Mountain.
I just read through that thread. A lot of it looks the same, except for the colors. One of the posts said the 87s went to the pastel colors. Mine was definitely red, whte, and blue. I wonder if it's a different year or model. I hope to get it back on the stand on Friday, so maybe I can find the serial number. Although I'm not sure where to look, anymore. That's how I proved it was mine when I recovered it, so I'm sure it's there!

Edited to say I found a page from a 1987 catalog that seems to show my bike. Only contradiction is the brakes, which the catalog describes as "Ross alloy power brakes."
Attached Images

Last edited by Berone; 05-02-17 at 11:47 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.