Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Tubes and bending

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Tubes and bending

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 09:50 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Devin Rickey
Here are the pics of my "bender"... Note the small flats on the inside of the bend in the second pic.
Thanks! Those flats won't do any actual harm. I got one of these type of benders:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352850193...EAAOSwWI1dyMJf
and it will probably work quite well. I just didn't have enough time to experiment with it because I only had one pair of stays. So I bent them near the top, didn't like it, and so cut them down and went with straight.

But I have since used this to make a rando rack out of 1/2" 16 gauge stainless and got nice smooth bends.

I packed the SS with sand but not sure this is actually a good idea. This kind of bender isn't really meant to be used with sand and I didn't use any on the rack.
Old 10-11-21, 03:36 PM
Devin Rickey

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, DVR SS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
One of the things that kept me from trying to get a bender on the seat stays was the taper. They were 9/16" give or take at the bend point. So wouldn't really have been a good fit for most of the benders I had access to. I would think your bender would do fine guy153 !
Likes For Devin Rickey:
Old 10-16-21, 11:44 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can also fill with water and freeze which is a no-setup option in the frozen north.

I have a proper tube bender, and I also built a bender for racks that works great in different sizes. Suppliers sell these mandrels for cheap that are designed for welding to sprockets on machinery heavier than bikes. I just used those for dies, by cutting grooves in them on my lathe.