Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what's in your tool bag?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what's in your tool bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 10:25 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
In all seriousness though, sometimes there are those rides where a small cooler and a couple of beers would be nice .
My felt "beer bike" was supposed to come with a rack for a 6 pack but its missing. I've wanted to find one and rig up a small yeti on it.
Old 07-07-22, 04:08 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
VegasJen, you may want to buy a cheap burner phone to carry with you for safety. Besides being harassed and needing to call 911, in the event you crash and can’t be seen or need immediate help, you can call 911. You may be able to program your real phone to forward to your burner as well. I’m a dude and always carry a phone in my back jersey pockets (25 years) and have never had a phone eject, even while doing some rugged mountain biking.
I know a lot of people like to carry phones. I think a lot of it has to do with environment though. Ya, it's hot here but it's not like there are forests or things I could fall in an not be seen. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I readily admit it is a good idea. I am just weighing the risks versus the benefits, and here, I don't see enough advantage to warrant the expense. My main route is a heavily traveled road that's wide open and frequently patrolled. I'm sure something bad *could* happen. I'm just gambling that nothing that bad will happen.
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I just carry weed and stuff to smoke it with in my saddlebag. No room for tools

Some people like pumps because they are reusable. Also there is something cathartic about sitting on the side of the road for 3 minutes trying to get a tire hard enough with a dinky little pump
I can think of other cathartic things I'd rather do that sit on the side of a road pumping up a tire.
Old 07-07-22, 04:13 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I can think of other cathartic things I'd rather do that sit on the side of a road pumping up a tire.
Calvins dad from calvin and hobbes would tell you it builds character
Old 07-07-22, 06:59 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Calvins dad from calvin and hobbes would tell you it builds character
"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character" ~~ Wiinston Wolfe
Old 07-07-22, 07:24 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I probably win the overkill award when I comes to taking a repair kit. Here is nearly the full shebang. There are a couple of items missing from the photo but not too much.

Now I carry this much if I am going to be more than 25 miles from the nearest pavement that might have a passing vehicle now and then. Places like South Central Utah.
In the upper left has everything to do with tires and includes both tube, tube repair and tubeless repair in all sizes along with pumps, spare valves and sealant.
Below that left is for the brakes and includes two brake pad sets, a spreader, a bleeder and fluid.
Next to the tire stuff to the right has everything to do with shifting and chains. It includes two derailleur hangers, a shift cable, chain pliers, spare links, a chain breaker, chain lube and hub prawls.
To the right is tools.
Bellow the tools is Bafang Mid Drive repair parts and tools. Case gaskets, bottom bracket removal tool, spare bottom bracket nut, Clutch, spare controller, spare throttle, nylon reduction gear/ pinion and bearings, PAS sensor and disk, speed sensor, meter and various electrical connectors.
To the left at the bottom is various lubes, extra nuts and bolts, wire, zip ties, tape ect.
Missing is the split PVC tube and clamps to rig a blown fork plus the charging gear..
Weight less the charging gear is around 7.5 lbs.
Obviously I carry less than this for local MetroPark rides with other riders.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 07-07-22, 08:16 PM
VegasJen

Holy crap! Do you need a trailer for all your spare parts?
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-07-22, 08:17 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-07-22, 08:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,657 Times in 2,927 Posts
It’s incomplete without a bike stand.

Old 07-07-22, 08:37 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
chain tool, chain pliers, quick links
Old 07-07-22, 08:41 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, I don't put a lot of weight on the bike except me and the dog.
Old 07-07-22, 09:19 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Rolla
Old 07-08-22, 09:53 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I just added gauze, gauze tape, and hydrogen peroxide in my tool bag. That's for disinfecting and dressing wounds and for playing creepy doctor on rides!
Old 07-08-22, 11:11 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
No Bianchi rider with that much celeste would be willing to pull a red toolbox.
Old 07-08-22, 01:48 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Toby_Queef
something cathartic -- thats a Engllish 300 level word -- me thinks Mr Sellerz is having fun at our expense --- tell us the truth - is this a shill account for the great Jackie Treehorne?
They learn you that word in the first couple days of group.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-08-22, 08:59 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I'm just wondering if there's anything else you guys carry I should consider adding to mine.
Pressure gauge (the cheap, pencil kind fits nicely along with the tire levers). Patch kit, and add in a Presta/Schrader adapter in the patch kit. Swap the CO2 for a pump. Now you won’t get stranded by multiple flats, you’ll just be annoyed.

Oh, and I carry my phone in a “sports belt” that has two zippered pockets built into the back. The shorter one could carry keys and a credit card or cash, the larger is made for smart phones.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-08-22 at 09:03 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-09-22, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by ofajen
carry my phone in a “sports belt” that has two zippered pockets built into the back. The shorter one could carry keys and a credit card or cash, the larger is made for smart phones
intriguing! I sometimes use a fanny pack for a cpl valuables. but I wear it slung over a shoulder like a courier bag. it tends to ride on the small of my back. only needing an occasional adjustment. I like it for a cpl bike & hikes to beaches. leaving the trunk on the bike but bringing my valuables w/me
Old 07-09-22, 12:51 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
intriguing! I sometimes use a fanny pack for a cpl valuables. but I wear it slung over a shoulder like a courier bag. it tends to ride on the small of my back. only needing an occasional adjustment. I like it for a cpl bike & hikes to beaches. leaving the trunk on the bike but bringing my valuables w/me
I think this is the one I have been using:

Limited-time deal: sport2people Running Belt for Men & Women,Phone Holder for Running,Reflective Running Gear,Running Fanny Pack for Women & Men,Cell Phone Holder,Running Waist Packs,Money Belt,Travel Belt (Black) https://a.co/d/gHLXWIz

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-09-22, 01:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
One tube, two tire levers, one multitool, one instant patch kit. I have one saddle bag that I swap among 9 of my 10 bikes, along with 3 frame pumps and a minipump. The frame pumps each fit some but not all of the bikes, and the mini for the two that no fame pump will fit. The 10th bike has tubulars, and for that one I carry a spare tire strapped to the saddle, a little bottle of sealant and a valve stem wrench, along with the aforementioned frame pump.

I used to carry a lot more, but I decided if I have a mechanical that I can't handle with what I have on hand, I'll just make The Call Of Shame.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-11-22, 07:09 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My trunk pack is a mini bike shop. In addition to almost all those things listed, a carry a first aid kit, a small bottle of alcohol, a 6 inch crescent wrench, a lock back knife to scratch out goat head thistle spikes, and a pack of tire boots in case of a really big cut in a tire. I dont like to walk home.
Old 07-12-22, 02:39 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
My road, rain bike, cross bike all have a multi tool, two tubes, patch kit, CO2 inflator with one canister, tire levers and two tire boots. My gravel bike has the same minus the tube and boots but add a Stans dart kit. Same with my fat bike but it has a big fat bike CO2 inflator and canister.
Old 07-12-22, 05:59 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts

Acorn tool roll
Old 07-12-22, 08:14 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Mostly nothing at all, or a tube, levers, a small pump and a credit card. That's largely all I've ever needed. Only times I've ever needed anything else was to repair a broken chain that was way past worn out or adjust seat and bars on a new bike. Preventative maintenance is where its at, unless you are riding remote locations, Imo.
Old 07-12-22, 10:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The people that I dont understand are the people that bring NOTHING on a ride. What do they do if they get a flat, or something comes loose?
Old 07-12-22, 10:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Sunday I had a flat that exceeded the capabilities of my saddlebag. I ran over a piece of glass that left a 1" long slash in the tread next to a 1/2" long slash. On the inside of the tire, they were 1/2" and 1/4". On another thread some have suggested I could have booted the tire (I'd have used an empty gel package), put in the spare tube and ridden home gently, but discretion is the better part of valor. I made The Call Of Shame, and waited in a nice shady spot for my wife to come and fetch me.

SO, if you're carrying less than an entire bike shop, remember to carry your phone. Also remember to charge it!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-19-22, 04:47 AM
rumrunn6

question for you tool-heads ...

found this is an old tool box at my grandparents house. don't know if it was my grandfather's or my uncle's. my uncle was a master carpenter. anyone know what this is for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.