Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What Is All This White Powder?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What Is All This White Powder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 01:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I was hoping you found a bike belonging to Pablo Escobar...then we could party

This is a case of corrosion caused by sweat. Bar tape is fairly cheap compared to a lot of things. Even some decent tape will only run you about $50 or so and once a year or once every two years depending on your usage of the bike is not so bad. I love when people are like "Ohhh I don't want to replace my nasty tape it is fine" am always curious what lies beneath.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-26-21, 01:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
Can you think of other components subject to this sort of breakdown?

First- corrosion will weaken any material it takes to. Second- corrosion will keep trying, like death and taxes. Third- iron oxide (rust) is not the corrosion danger that cyclists generally need to really heed. Al Oxide is.

The weight bearing parts come to mind first. Bars, post, cranks and pedals because of the dangers to control and personal safety. Those that are made of Al are especially to be monitored and serviced periodically. I've seem the bottom of stem quills that have had bits break off (either when in use or when trying to free up a frozen stem). Saddle rails break. There was a while back when Al railed saddles were popular, there's a reason why they are less so these days. Pedal strikes can and have damaged the crank arm eyes or the pedal axles.

I fully understand why so many riders don't follow the best maintenance advise yet are glad to buy and use daily what just a dozen years ago were considered event products. There's a thinking (when those riders really do think about this stuff) that if their not a pro rider, their not putting 10's of thousands of miles a year on their bike, that they're going to get every penny of use they can on that expensive XXX they have and that this mind set is correct. Even the best mindset. After all who doesn't want the pro stuff on their bikes if they can afford it? But corrosion is much more about exposure and maintenance and not power or miles.

Some of what I was speaking to is this lack of accepting that the fancy stuff isn't meant to last longer but more often to weigh less and work nicer (until it's limited life is exceeded). Pros and their sponsors and support people know this. The general public doesn't want to know this Andy
Old 01-26-21, 02:16 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, that’s aluminum oxide. The reason it formed, and the reason the bars broke, is due to chloride in sweat. There are a number of ideas on how this happens but there is no general consensus on the exact mechanism. Take the rest of what I say with that in mind. Likely, the chloride ions in sweat break down the oxide layer (anodized layer) on the aluminum by displacing the oxygen atom on the aluminum oxide forming aluminum chloride. Aluminum chloride is unstable and exchanges the chloride with oxygen, likely forming a bit of hydrochloric acid in the process. The material formed is more aluminum oxide which has a slight different crystalline structure to the anodized aluminum oxide layer. The HCl then attacks more of the oxide and the process continues. As long as there is water about, the process will continue until all available aluminum is consumed. Salt provides its own water by sucking it out of the air because salt is hydroscopic.

I’ve been seeing a lot of these kinds of pictures lately and I think it’s because of the increased use of indoor trainers. Outside, air flow tends to dry the sweat and keep most of it off the tape. Indoors, the sweat from your hands soaks the bars because there isn’t airflow. There may even be higher amounts of sweat from drips and from the sweat flowing down arms. The tape holds the moisture in and exacerbates the problem.

Aluminum is great stuff but it is a reactive metal. If this is your bar, perhaps you should unwrap the bars when it is on the trainer or get a different bar (or bike) for use on the trainer. A pair of old, heavy, chrome plated steel handlebars would stand up a lot better.
Given that the break is right next to the probably steel(?) clamp, I wonder if the mechanism is galvanic corrosion rather than direct attack of chloride on the aluminum oxide layer? If so this could be prevented by putting a thin layer of tape or some other insulator between the clamp and the bar.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 01-26-21, 02:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
and could overtightening of the clamp or a bike fall have put a small crack there, accelerating the whole process?
Old 01-26-21, 02:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
I have seen something close to this condition on a bicycle, a very nice bicycle, stored in a pool chemical storage area...I’m going by memory...I think the pool chemical fumes pool at the floor level...the chemical affects the part of the bicycle closest to the chemical pool...depending if the bicycle is store upright or on it’s handlebars...
Pool chlorine is very corrosive. The fumes are as well. We store it outside and never in the garage.
Old 01-26-21, 03:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
Given that the break is right next to the probably steel(?) clamp, I wonder if the mechanism is galvanic corrosion rather than direct attack of chloride on the aluminum oxide layer? If so this could be prevented by putting a thin layer of tape or some other insulator between the clamp and the bar.
You know what? I had the very same thought. The reason why is that I owned a 1978 Mercury Zepher, which had cast aluminum bumpers. The bumpers were very thick, at least 1/4". They were real honest to goodness bumpers, I was rear ended once at a stop light hard enough to rattle my fillings but the biggest damage was to the dignity of the twit who hit me, my car was completely undamaged. However, by the time that the car was 5 years old, there were holes in those bumpers right where they bolted to the steel supports of the shock absorbers between the bumpers and the car frame. Other than the holes in those bumpers, they still looked almost new. Montreal uses enough salt on their streets every year to populate a good size city made up of others like the remains of Lot's wife
Old 01-26-21, 03:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
You know what? I had the very same thought. The reason why is that I owned a 1978 Mercury Zepher, which had cast aluminum bumpers. The bumpers were very thick, at least 1/4". They were real honest to goodness bumpers, I was rear ended once at a stop light hard enough to rattle my fillings but the biggest damage was to the dignity of the twit who hit me, my car was completely undamaged. However, by the time that the car was 5 years old, there were holes in those bumpers right where they bolted to the steel supports of the shock absorbers between the bumpers and the car frame. Other than the holes in those bumpers, they still looked almost new. Montreal uses enough salt on their streets every year to populate a good size city made up of others like the remains of Lot's wife
interesting.
I literally just came up from doing my post ride bike wash in the garage of my alu mtb that I ride most days. Wash it every day when ridden in winter, and a big part of doing that is because of the salt and salty water that ends up all over stuff, so luckily have a garage that I can do a fast, yet pretty good job of getting all the stuff rinsed off. And yes, I sometimes see this white powder in spots that havent gotten rinsed well, like if I take off a wheel, the qr springs and area will have some, so what you are describing goes in with that interface.
Makes me remember I need to do a final wash every so often with the wheels taken off.I do coat these areas with white grease, just to help a bit though., cant hurt.

78 Zepher--dont take this personally, but boy those late 70s to late 80s Mercs and others were pretty ugly....Im a car guy, and I still find a bunch of the late 70s and 80s stuff goofy looking.
Old 01-26-21, 04:34 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
Can you think of other components subject to this sort of breakdown?
Yes, but most of your other components aren’t exposed to this concentration of salt. Your hands are in direct contact with the bars and there is an absorbent tape that holds the salt sweat in place. You might have a lot of sweat on your saddle as well...I know, TMI...but that probably isn’t going to get on to the metal of the bike. It will likely drip off and get caught in the slipstream that directs it away from the bike. Certainly check your bike and parts but I doubt you’ll see much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-26-21, 04:38 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you really do sweat a ton I'd rinse the bike off w/ water every time it got drenched w/ sweat. Every. Time.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-26-21, 04:40 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Not initially. The clamp is in contact with a thick aluminum oxide layer from the anodization which is an insulator. I’m not sure it would be much of an issue even once the corrosion starts. There are certainly ions and water present but the aluminum oxide that is formed will still be electrically neutral. Once enough oxide is eroded, there may be some metal to metal contact but it’s not going to be much contact nor would there be much movement of electrons. I think the cycle of aluminum oxide to Al chloride to Al oxide is relatively rapid and would drive the corrosion more than any electrical potential.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-26-21, 04:44 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by alcjphil
That’s a different kettle of fish. The aluminum on that bumper probably wasn’t anodized. It’s just cast aluminum with the relatively thin natural oxide layer on it. Galvanic action would be more prevalent in that case. You don’t need much of an insulator to keep galvanic action at bay. A thin layer of grease will do. That’s why you should grease your seatpost and stem. And anodization layer is certainly thick enough to keep electrons from flowing too easily.

Old 01-26-21, 06:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just an odd question here: Since nobody's going to see under your bar tape anyway, how about painting it? Granted nothing will be impervious forever, but some thick ugly paint might slow the progress of corrosion.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-26-21, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Just an odd question here: Since nobody's going to see under your bar tape anyway, how about painting it? Granted nothing will be impervious forever, but some thick ugly paint might slow the progress of corrosion.
Might work. Prewrapping with a plastic tape might work as well. A really good electrical tape might work.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-30-21, 03:51 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
I have been told that riding on the hoods will lead to my death because I can’t hang onto the bars if I hit a bump. I’ve hit lots of bumps on the hoods. ‘Twas a stupid argument.
If you don't use those new-fangled aero brake levers you will find the brake cable saves your hand from sliding off when you hit the bump.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 02-03-21, 12:38 AM
danallen

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
First- corrosion will weaken any material it takes to. Second- corrosion will keep trying, like death and taxes. Third- iron oxide (rust) is not the corrosion danger that cyclists generally need to really heed. Al Oxide is.

The weight bearing parts come to mind first. Bars, post, cranks and pedals because of the dangers to control and personal safety. Those that are made of Al are especially to be monitored and serviced periodically. I've seem the bottom of stem quills that have had bits break off (either when in use or when trying to free up a frozen stem). Saddle rails break. There was a while back when Al railed saddles were popular, there's a reason why they are less so these days. Pedal strikes can and have damaged the crank arm eyes or the pedal axles.

I fully understand why so many riders don't follow the best maintenance advise yet are glad to buy and use daily what just a dozen years ago were considered event products. There's a thinking (when those riders really do think about this stuff) that if their not a pro rider, their not putting 10's of thousands of miles a year on their bike, that they're going to get every penny of use they can on that expensive XXX they have and that this mind set is correct. Even the best mindset. After all who doesn't want the pro stuff on their bikes if they can afford it? But corrosion is much more about exposure and maintenance and not power or miles.

Some of what I was speaking to is this lack of accepting that the fancy stuff isn't meant to last longer but more often to weigh less and work nicer (until it's limited life is exceeded). Pros and their sponsors and support people know this. The general public doesn't want to know this Andy
Outstanding comment, thank you. You are pointing out an trap easy to be fall into. Specified several high risk points on the the bicycle. Also specified a rule of thumb regarding where the problem is most likely to develop (in the aluminum). You also pointed out that corrosion is not a function of miles or power of the rider. But rather time and environmental conditions.

This is injury-preventing information, possibly life saving. Thank you very very much.

Last edited by danallen; 02-03-21 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 12:58 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think you are onto something:

For starters, I'd say the corrosion appears as you suggested concentrated where the steel clamps contact the handlebars. I did a quick check of steel/iron galvanic corrosion and found this:

Galvanic corrosion (dissimilar-metal corrosion) is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially, when in electrical contact with a different type of metal, and both metals are immersed in an electrolyte such as water.

In virtually any assembly with other common metals, aluminium will be the anode of the resulting cell and hence likely to suffer galvanic corrosion, if the conditions are favourable.

This table provides guidance on using metals when they are I. Contact in the presence of electrolytic water solutions. It recommends against aluminum and steel, indicating high galvanic corrosion is expected, with the aluminum being the metal that will corrode.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/materials-science/galvanic-corrosion

It stands to reason, (if my name were Fauci, I would call it "science") that insulating tape between the iron clamp and the aluminum handlebars would block the corrosion, provided it can withstand the forces of being squeezed and pressured when riding on the hoods, especially when braking.

Last edited by danallen; 02-03-21 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 01:08 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
and could overtightening of the clamp or a bike fall have put a small crack there, accelerating the whole process?
Answer has to be yes.
Old 02-03-21, 01:20 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Removed the stem from the handlebars and fork. Both interfaces are AL to AL. No corrosion at all. There are steel to AL interfaces between the steerer tube and cartridge bearings. I was thinking sweat might get into those interfaces, especially the top one, because sweat gets all over the top of the steerer tube and runs down the sides, over the spacers carbon fiber spacers. There was a fair amount of grease on the outsides of those bearing cartridges. That grease might have made the difference. The reason I know sweat gets onto the steerer tube is it gets all over my phone when it is mounted in the middle of the handlebars, right next to the stem/handlebar interface. The sweat come from my head dripping.
Old 02-03-21, 07:33 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Might work. Prewrapping with a plastic tape might work as well. A really good electrical tape might work.
shrink wrap it... you can get long rolls of shrink and in different colors to.
Likes For sloppy12: