Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 06:55 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by brandenjs
I had a nice surprise when I got home today. The wife had picked this up at a yard sale for $10. I'm not sure of the year just yet, but here are the numbers on it. Bottom bracket- 0753594 UE8M 60. Left side drop out: B00628304 the last 2 numbers I'm not sure about. I know it's not top of the line,but it's pretty cool.
The fenders and generator light set on that bike really touch it off nicely! Up by me those bike are going in the $200+ range. Probably should start a Bike Forum "Wife of the Year" thread! At least one B.F. member has a good candidate for it.
Old 08-09-09, 07:04 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by gurry
Picked up a Raleigh Sprite for $6.00 today. Came with a rack and a friction generator light set. Noticed while walking it home that it has an alloy SR stem. Also has alloy cranks too! Full fenders seem to be in good condition.

The rack is made by Pletscher, the brake set is Wienmann alloy side pulls. The brake levers are alloy too!
The larger frame is really a nice selling feature, especially if it's your size frame. By me, from what I can see, Sprites have about doubled in asking price over the last 6 months or so. I just noticed this guy's ad on Craig's List. I think it is a little too high, but thought the posting might be of interest here. That $6 Sprite is actually much nicer.

Raleigh Sprite, Mens Bike Classic - $225 (Westchester)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-08-09, 7:34AM EDT
Reply to: sale-pbmj9-1313636483@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1984 Raleigh Sprite English made men's ten speed bicycle. Brooks saddle, clean, 23" frame, 32.5 standover height. Usually see smaller frames on craigslist. Expected wear and tear. Can be picked up in lower Westchester or possible drop off in midtown Manhattan.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1313636483
Old 08-09-09, 01:39 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I now work in a shop, I've been trying to keep a few bikes up to date while buying shop kit and gear to make up for a decade of being out of cycling. But I've been thinking a couple of beater type builds, of moderate quality, to use as loaners and back ups.

This brings me to last night's finds and today's pickup, all from one spot.

Nothing spectacular, a pair of Peugeots and a Centurian LeMans 12. I've not tried to look up any digits or anything else yet, too hot to be outside right now. They all have 27's, but seems like 700's will work. Not sure what direction these will take yet, might frankenbike with barcons, maybe SS/FG or brifters. Not sure yet.

Last edited by droobieinop; 08-09-09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: resized pics
Old 08-09-09, 04:30 PM
wil-mart128

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raliegh Technium

just picked up a technium today from goodwill got it down to $40.00 i had been looking for a bike for my stepdaughter was really pleased i had the selle yellow seat so it worked out well , after a good scrubbing and oiling everything works flawslessly[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-09-09, 09:00 PM
dmcjedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Will bike is a score and a half - fantastic find. I found a nice old Trek racing road bike there once for $19.99, and then they'll somtimes charge like $60.00 for a Walmart bike with shocks - go figure..
Old 08-10-09, 03:39 AM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
It's because the folks who do the pricing know nothing about bikes. I once found at a Salvation Army a 1987 Fat City Wicked Fat Chance, all original with 6 speed XT, for $40.00.
Another time I found a 1988 Bianch Grizzly, again all original and in great shape, for 35.00.

I'm afraid those days may be mostly gone, however, because the prices I've seen lateley are astronomical for what the bikes usually are....
Old 08-10-09, 04:46 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
It's because the folks who do the pricing know nothing about bikes. I once found at a Salvation Army a 1987 Fat City Wicked Fat Chance, all original with 6 speed XT, for $40.00.
Another time I found a 1988 Bianch Grizzly, again all original and in great shape, for 35.00.

I'm afraid those days may be mostly gone, however, because the prices I've seen lateley are astronomical for what the bikes usually are....
Maybe where you live but not at the ones down here. If they are not in nearly perfect shape they dumpster them. There is a couple of the stores that I have had luck catching the people that work in collections and they let me see what is out back. Last time I saw 4 pallets of bikes out back. They just stack then on their side and get about 15 bikes deep and wrap them in plastic. Mostly Box store junk but a couple vintage schwinns. Then the ones they do put up fromt are Box store and over priced.

Last edited by Grim; 08-10-09 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-10-09, 10:43 AM
jco1385
Giant Puzzle

Bikes: Giant Rincon 23.5"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this at Goodwill on friday, but i wanted to ask you guys' opinion before i bought it. It has a steel frame, which was kind of a turn-off. But i really don't know much about bikes and their worth, so here we go: (please excuse my cell phone pics)

It had a price tag for $10 on it. Would this be a good "fix-er-upper" or should i keep looking? Are these parts worth anything. I have a few "parts bikes" already so i don't need another if i don't have a use for it. Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 11:01 AM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell ya' what, I'll paypal you the $10, then I'll explain to you how to send it to me so that you won't have to worry about whether its worth the $10 that you should have already spent on it.
Old 08-10-09, 11:04 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would be willing to bet the $10 price that it is already long gone. Steel was a turn off, really?

Originally Posted by jco1385
I found this at Goodwill on friday, but i wanted to ask you guys' opinion before i bought it. It has a steel frame, which was kind of a turn-off. But i really don't know much about bikes and their worth, so here we go: (please excuse my cell phone pics)

It had a price tag for $10 on it. Would this be a good "fix-er-upper" or should i keep looking? Are these parts worth anything. I have a few "parts bikes" already so i don't need another if i don't have a use for it. Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 11:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
That Nishiki could command a price of between $200 and $300, once fixed up right.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 12:24 PM
jco1385
Giant Puzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm, i guess i'll pick it up then, if it's still there. i'm new to bikes, and i have an aluminum road frame, so i figured a steel frame was a step backwards. but i really have no clue.
Old 08-10-09, 12:33 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
hmm, i guess i'll pick it up then, if it's still there. i'm new to bikes, and i have an aluminum road frame, so i figured a steel frame was a step backwards. but i really have no clue.
Well, stepping into the "Classic & Vintage" forum is definitely a step backwards. But it's also a step up! That Nishiki looks very nice to me.
Old 08-10-09, 02:03 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
I'da bought first, then asked questions later. A nice lugged steel frame is NEVER a step back! Rather, a lousy aluminum frame is usually a step back in my book.

That bike around here would've been a steal at 50 bucks.
Old 08-10-09, 02:34 PM
jco1385
Giant Puzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i don't have money just to throw at anything. even at $10.

i'm not gonna make it by there today but i'll stop in tomorrow and pick it up if it's still there. i just have no idea what is what as far as "garbage" VS "diamond in the rough", so i didn't want to take the gamble and be stuck with another bike to add to the pile. surely someone can understand that.
Old 08-10-09, 03:50 PM
droobieinop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife says she understands that, I just payed 22x's that ($220) for the 3 I posted above and they all have 27" wheels. But I do like my Centurian, and the paint on all is really nice.

Hope you didn't miss out.
Old 08-10-09, 07:37 PM
joek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
camera is working again

picked these up the last couple weeks

P6 $40 laced 650A rims off a old french city bike

P8 $26 salvation army

specialized hardrock $17 salvation army

sears 3speed $12 ebay

ross gran tourer $15

funny the pugs are the same colors size and models as a previous post, must have sold alot of these
Old 08-10-09, 08:03 PM
kgatwork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early 70' Raleigh Grand Sports

I was returning from my late Sunday morning ride and happen to catch a glimmer of this bike on the curb next to a tree. It looked like something special with its half chromed fork and rear stays from a distance, but I wasn't sure it was if it was for the garbage collectors or not, so I let it be.

I thought about the bike the rest of the day thinking I'd go back later and do a double take. After doing the honey do list, it was later that evening that the curiosity got me enough nerve to drive back and see if the bike was still there or gone. Well as luck would have it, the bike was still up against the tree on the curb and someone was home in their kitchen. I knocked on the door to inquire about the bike in the trash and was soon rewarded with a "yes its in the trash and the tires are rotted", I asked it I could take it and was given the A OK. In retrospect I should have asked about it when I saw it because it rained heavily that afternoon.

It wasn't till I got home did I discover that it was a 74ish Grand Sport with a flat tires and wheels needing a bit of trueing. The tires were not that badly dry rotted, I could probably ride them for awhile. I put air in the tires and trued up the wheels adjusted the brakes and oiled the very rusted chain and other pivot points. I also lowered the stem and seatpost as this bike just a tad too big, the seatpost was pretty snug in the seat tube.

I have since discovered that the Raleigh originally came with a Brooks saddle and Simplex rear derailleur. The previous owner had changed the rear derailleur to a Suntour 7 with a Shimano 6 speed freewheel and a avocet touring saddle, all other parts seem to be intact.

There's a little surface rust here and there and scraped off paint where the bike was leaning against some basement/garage pole.

This isn't quite as good a find as the mint condition 87 Panasonic Dx-4000 I found 3 years ago but still not too bad for a 35ish year old bike. and it seems to ride pretty good for what I found.
Old 08-10-09, 08:17 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Uhhh what are your other "parts bikes"?
Other then the wrong rear derailleur that was a good solid bike. I bet it rides like a dream. In Atlanta cleaned up that bike would fetch 150-200 if it really good shape with a full tune up. If you want to part with it for quick $50 and meet me at the state line I will happily take that off your hands and find the correct parts to put it back stock.

You got a diamond in the rough there. Get in the C&V forum and start learning about the vintage stuff.

EDIT:
Just figured out you are in Daphne. I was thinking you were in B-ham or Montgomery. Too far of a drive for you.

Last edited by Grim; 08-10-09 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 09:06 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
And not even too rough. Just say yes!
Old 08-10-09, 09:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
kgatwork, that's a nice bike. I had a 1976 model. It had Reynolds 531 butted tubes, forks, and stays. Enjoy it. I sure did.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 10:57 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgatwork
I was returning from my late Sunday morning ride and happen to catch a glimmer of this bike on the curb next to a tree. It looked like something special with its half chromed fork and rear stays from a distance, but I wasn't sure it was if it was for the garbage collectors or not, so I let it be.

I thought about the bike the rest of the day thinking I'd go back later and do a double take. After doing the honey do list, it was later that evening that the curiosity got me enough nerve to drive back and see if the bike was still there or gone. Well as luck would have it, the bike was still up against the tree on the curb and someone was home in their kitchen. I knocked on the door to inquire about the bike in the trash and was soon rewarded with a "yes its in the trash and the tires are rotted", I asked it I could take it and was given the A OK. In retrospect I should have asked about it when I saw it because it rained heavily that afternoon.

It wasn't till I got home did I discover that it was a 74ish Grand Sport with a flat tires and wheels needing a bit of trueing. The tires were not that badly dry rotted, I could probably ride them for awhile. I put air in the tires and trued up the wheels adjusted the brakes and oiled the very rusted chain and other pivot points. I also lowered the stem and seatpost as this bike just a tad too big, the seatpost was pretty snug in the seat tube.

I have since discovered that the Raleigh originally came with a Brooks saddle and Simplex rear derailleur. The previous owner had changed the rear derailleur to a Suntour 7 with a Shimano 6 speed freewheel and a avocet touring saddle, all other parts seem to be intact.

There's a little surface rust here and there and scraped off paint where the bike was leaning against some basement/garage pole.

This isn't quite as good a find as the mint condition 87 Panasonic Dx-4000 I found 3 years ago but still not too bad for a 35ish year old bike. and it seems to ride pretty good for what I found.
This exact bike is in my dad's garage in VA! I think it is full original, I told him I'd fix it up for him to ride, but he said no thanks, but I could have it if I want. I definitely do, but don't know when I will head east again. maybe mail it here when I do. Love the paint scheme so much!
Old 08-11-09, 07:50 PM
kgatwork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noglide:

Thanks,

I expect it to ride well, as my brother had a similar vintage super course mkii when we were much younger as did my sister with a super course mkii mixte frame. Too bad both are gone now, the men's bike was stolen and the mixte was "stolen" by my wife having sold it without my permission at one of her garage sales.

Last edited by kgatwork; 08-11-09 at 08:00 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Old 08-11-09, 09:25 PM
Commuter76

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this in the steel recycling bin at the local recycling center. It's a '94, so it may not qualify as C&V, but it's my first ever dumpster find.
Old 08-11-09, 10:00 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Are those scratches, or a paint effect?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.