Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velo-Cheap Contest 2015 - Rules and Discussion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velo-Cheap Contest 2015 - Rules and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 02:38 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
If that was the case, I could easily get my entry down to negative $150, choosing the right components from bikes I got for free and looking back through what the various frames or parts fetched me on eBay and CL. That seems to be fudging a bit.
oh yeah, i quite agree.

I will include some of the parts bin components in the 'back story' of my build anyway, if only to pad it out a bit!

I'm not going to win anyway, my bike is going to be waaaay less interesting than the other entries I have seen. There are some seriously talented guys on this site and I'm not one of them. But the way I look at it is that everyone's a winner just for entering, it's such a hoot of an idea.

Now, on the subject of my build, I've just finished it - in its initial pre-brifter form. I'm going to ride it around for a bit first to sort the fit and accrue some mileage points before it gets tarted up with its new(er) RSX groupset!

My budget poor man's Surly Pacer is ready to rock!
Old 12-15-14, 11:56 PM
acoffin 

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
I will include some of the parts bin components in the 'back story' of my build anyway, if only to pad it out a bit!

I'm not going to win anyway, my bike is going to be waaaay less interesting than the other entries I have seen. There are some seriously talented guys on this site and I'm not one of them.
I'm with you. BTW, the rules committee really did an outstanding job. The other cheapo contests did not interest me much, but this one is very intriguing. I'm going to have fun with my build (or two), but have no hopes of winning against this talented lot.

I just finished fitting some new Tektro cr720's on my city bike piglet. Waiting on some Longboards to be delivered. The new stuff I am adding is going to put me over budget and I likely won't get a whole lot of riding in unless it's a mild winter. Oh well. It will be interesting to see where I end up after all moneys have been accounted for. I'm going to be very transparent in my budgeting.