Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Niche-Bikes "Snobs"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Niche-Bikes "Snobs"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 01:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
i stopped to rest. Lead guy pulled over to make sure i was ok and rest followed his lead. Sent to my brother-in-law motorcyclist telling him I pulled over to make sure they were ok.
Very cool. I had a guy on an old bmw cross the road on a bridge to ask me how I was doing and where I was going while crossing the Mississippi from Illinois to Iowa. The humanity in those interactions is wonderful.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-23-23, 08:05 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Typical 'Classic AND vintage' bikey forum. WTF has this gotten to? Hypocrite mods too.

Signed out. Ciao
If you're referring to me when you refer to "hypocrite mods" above . . . guess again. I'm not, and probably never will be on this forum.

I posted what I did in my last 2 comments above for two reasons.The first was because I hate to see the wrong person castigated for something they did not say. The second I posted because many people are abysmally ignorant of history, unquestioningly believing whatever they last read on the Internet to be absolute truth and never bothering to actually research historical background or fact.

You did exactly the former in a previous comment. Only you know whether the latter applies to you.

Further discussion of the gesture you find objectionable is IMO likely more appropriate for the "Politcs & Religion" sub-forum and should be discussed there instead of here.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-23-23 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-23-23, 10:27 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Some historical background: the so-called "Roman salute" does not appear to have ever been used in Ancient Rome. No clear example of it is found in existing artifacts from either Republican Rome or the Roman Empire.

Rather, the gesture now called the "Roman salute" appears to have been invented by Jaques-Louis David in his 1784 painting entitled The Oath of the Horaitii. Though apparently historically inaccurate, it was afterwards used in many neoclassical works of art dealing with Ancient Rome. The gesture wasn't explicitly associated with European Fascism until Gabriel D'Annunzio made the association of that gesture with Italian Fascism in the early 1920s. Prior to then, it was simply an invented gesture inaccurately associated with Ancient Roman culture.

In fact, outside artistic circles the so-called Roman salute appears to have been largely unknown in the US by that name until accounts/photos/films of its use by European Fascists began to appear in news media in the 1920s.

However, a similar gesture - the Bellamy salute - was in fact apparently independently invented in the 1890s and thereafter used in the US during recital of the Pledge of Allegiance. Due to the similarity of that gesture (the Bellamy salute) to the Fascist salutes used prior to and during World War II, the US Flag Code was changed in 1942 to specify the "hand over heart while reciting the pledge" (that many Americans alive today remember) instead of the Bellamy salute.
Digging down pretty deep to disparage a rider who acknowledge another rider with the "point index finger up, then point at rider" gesture.
Old 03-23-23, 11:36 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Digging down pretty deep to disparage a rider who acknowledge another rider with the "point index finger up, then point at rider" gesture.
Can't say I find anything wrong with that method of acknowledgement either.

As long as it's the index finger that's pointed up.
Old 03-23-23, 11:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10456 Post(s)
Liked 11,947 Times in 6,115 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Well, if you are not gushing over a C&Ver's bike, you are a snob. Just the mere act of not talking about the bike is an act of snobbery.
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." - Wilde

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles