Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride to please yourself

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride to please yourself

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 09:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Ride to please yourself

IMO everyone that bikes should ride the way it pleases themselves. In so many of the threads, the "real" cyclist try to dictate how, what, where, what to wear, what saddle, and what bike is acceptable to ride. To begin with not everyone has $10,000 to spend on a bike, so price is the prime point of what one can ride. Then there road bikes, mountain bikes, fat bikes, fixies, bents, and trikes, and gravel bikes. Pick the type or types of biking you like and buy the bike that works best for that style of biking.

Then-------------- ride at the speed and cadence that feel right to you. If you want to train for and race that is fine too. Just remember if that is not your bag, as I say, ride to please yourself. Cycling should be fun first.
Old 04-24-17, 10:12 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I disagree with the premise of this thread. Who advises anyone to spend $10,000 to get started? Almost nobody. And as for what to buy, what to wear, or how to train or ride, people give advise in response to questions from other people. It is sort of the point of forums like these. If the answer to every question is, ride what you like, spend whatever you feel you can afford, and wear whatever you feel like, it would make for very short discussion threads.
Old 04-24-17, 10:28 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I disagree with the premise of this thread. Who advises anyone to spend $10,000 to get started? Almost nobody. And as for what to buy, what to wear, or how to train or ride, people give advise in response to questions from other people. It is sort of the point of forums like these. If the answer to every question is, ride what you like, spend whatever you feel you can afford, and wear whatever you feel like, it would make for very short discussion threads.
There are two things to think about when a beginner is choosing a bike.

1: Fit
2: Style

#1 can be commented on by us successfully. If you're 6' tall you won't be riding a 48 cm road bike. But #2 is mostly personal preference, which we all have opinions for. However, even some of that can be commented on by us. If you're going to be riding primarily on roads, why by a mountain bike?

So yes, a person SHOULD ride what they want, but they may get a lot more enjoyment out of the sport if they have a bike that is the right size for them and the right style for them.

And to the OP: No one on this site (other than perhaps the road racing forum) would suggest buying a $10,000 bike. For road bikes, we say the entry level is ~600-1000 dollars, and we're not wrong. Anything below that and you're getting a heavy(er) bike with components that are likely to wear out quickly. So by buying a more expensive bike, you'd be saving money in the long run and enjoying yourself more along the way.

For a mountain bike that's actually going to be ridden on trails? I'd say for a hardtail the minimum purchase for a decent bike is $1000. I bought an $800 bike and it's... ok, would have been much more happy if I bought the $1000 version. For a full suspension, you're getting up into the $1500-$2000 range for a decent one. (I know less about full suspension bikes.)

Now if you're a casual rider, you can easily buy a $300-$400 bike and be perfectly happy. Anything less and you're getting a wal-mart bike.
Old 04-24-17, 10:34 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Probably a big waste of money to buy a cheapo bike-- like buying a cheap treadmill to use as a rack to hang your clothes on...
Old 04-24-17, 10:50 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Generally I see people making the recommendation of buying the best bike one can afford but that's in the bottom end lower price points, which makes a lot of sense. In fact, I would say the most common group lever that's recommended is 105, a solid mid range group that comes on many bikes in the $1000-$1500 range. As far as gear, once again I see people recommending house brands such as Performance Bike and closeout sales for brand names from various vendors.

Sure these are price ranges that may be out of reach for some but there is going to be a vast majority of us who will eventually get to those prices ranges. And I feel many, also like me, spend money of those lower levels only to find I should have spent more once than working my way there in steps leaving a surplus of cheap items in my wake.
Old 04-24-17, 10:55 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I know where the OP is coming from, and I also understand the use of hyperbole to make a point.

A year ago, I bought my Specialized Sirrus. It was and is a blast to ride. Never mind that when I posted a pic on FB, one of the first comments was "REAL bicycles have drop bars."

And I do see some of that on this forum, in the Road Bike section.

I chalk it up to mentality of Ford vs Chevy, NASCAR vs F1, OSU vs Michigan, etc. People have brand loyalty and sometimes allow that to overshadow their sense of politeness and decency.

To the OP, if this has been your experience here, please do not allow it to sour you. I'm new as well and have already learned a LOT of good things. This is a great community!
Old 04-24-17, 10:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
You ride a 'bent? WTF? How do you even go up hills? You need an old French bike like me!

Just kidding, of course! Agree 100% with what you said. I get a lot of good advice here, but most of it has to be filtered through how much it really applies to me and what I am doing. That is fine now that I know what I am doing and how things apply to me, not so much as a beginner.

Bad advice is harmful. When I started getting back into biking, I was told nothing short of a full carbon 105 equipped bike would suit my needs, at $1500-2000. I'd have been fine spending $500 on something used, but no LBS where I lived at the time wanted to take that price range into consideration, and eventually gave up. Kept riding my old MTB-turned-commuter on the rail trails that summer, and had the girl I met that summer not liked biking enough, I may well have given it up completely.
Old 04-24-17, 11:01 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMO, its not just this site. In fact this site is probably more lax than most bikers are. But the biking culture in general are snobby competitions. Its like everything has to be a competition from what bike, to what wheels to what clothes to how fast ....... I just want t o ride. Not everybody and like I said here is even more lax than what I see on the streets.

That said I see it n the kayak fishing industry also.
Old 04-24-17, 11:01 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Originally Posted by corrado33
There are two things to think about when a beginner is choosing a bike.

1: Fit
2: Style

#1 can be commented on by us successfully. If you're 6' tall you won't be riding a 48 cm road bike. But #2 is mostly personal preference, which we all have opinions for. However, even some of that can be commented on by us. If you're going to be riding primarily on roads, why by a mountain bike?

So yes, a person SHOULD ride what they want, but they may get a lot more enjoyment out of the sport if they have a bike that is the right size for them and the right style for them.

And to the OP: No one on this site (other than perhaps the road racing forum) would suggest buying a $10,000 bike. For road bikes, we say the entry level is ~600-1000 dollars, and we're not wrong. Anything below that and you're getting a heavy(er) bike with components that are likely to wear out quickly. So by buying a more expensive bike, you'd be saving money in the long run and enjoying yourself more along the way.

For a mountain bike that's actually going to be ridden on trails? I'd say for a hardtail the minimum purchase for a decent bike is $1000. I bought an $800 bike and it's... ok, would have been much more happy if I bought the $1000 version. For a full suspension, you're getting up into the $1500-$2000 range for a decent one. (I know less about full suspension bikes.)

Now if you're a casual rider, you can easily buy a $300-$400 bike and be perfectly happy. Anything less and you're getting a wal-mart bike.
Originally Posted by McBTC
Probably a big waste of money to buy a cheapo bike--
Seems like everyone is missing the point of the thread. No one is saying to buy a bike that doesn't fit. What he's saying is that some here and in real life, judge what others ride, wear, spend and look like based on their own needs and wants and not the needs and wants of the other rider.

What I always say is that you can't buy a bad bike (even a Walmart special has its applications) but you can buy the wrong bike (a Walmart special is the wrong bike for fast group rides).
Old 04-24-17, 11:02 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Well, BUYCYCLING Magazine would have you believe you need a fancy, fairly-expensive bike. Otherwise... ride what you like (or can afford) and nobody else cares.
Old 04-24-17, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18445 Post(s)
Liked 15,671 Times in 7,367 Posts
Ummmmm....

Old 04-24-17, 11:24 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
What if what pleases themselves is to be considered serious cyclists™?
Old 04-24-17, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reynolds
+1. And I have to wonder if the OP can think of a better that cycling to please himself.
Old 04-24-17, 11:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,505 Times in 1,850 Posts
Well .... how can we Possibly take advice on cycling from a guy in a Recumbent?
Old 04-24-17, 11:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,505 Times in 1,850 Posts
The funniest part is that in another thread a week ago we were discussing an old article from The Guardian or somewhere about how cycling had been taken over by middle-aged buys in spandex with fat bellies and fat wallets, hyper-competing everywhere because they were unwilling to accept mid-life crises?

General consensus was: it hadn't.

And we held up as an example: Mr. Rydabent.

(yeah, we all get it.. but if you didn't think this as going to start and argument ... you wouldn't have posted. You're a veteran here. (You could post "I like cycling" and get a fight on these boards.)) heck yeah ... i'd throw the first punch just see the hilarity unfold for 17 pages.
Old 04-24-17, 11:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well .... how can we Possibly take advice on cycling from a guy in a Recumbent?
+1. Riding a recumbent is not real cycling.
Old 04-24-17, 11:58 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Seems like everyone is missing the point of the thread. No one is saying to buy a bike that doesn't fit. What he's saying is that some here and in real life, judge what others ride, wear, spend and look like based on their own needs and wants and not the needs and wants of the other rider.

What I always say is that you can't buy a bad bike (even a Walmart special has its applications) but you can buy the wrong bike (a Walmart special is the wrong bike for fast group rides).

Couldn't disagree more-- you can make anything do (and it doesn't take much to get from an apartment to a beach bar with a coconut full of margarita or backpacking from the frat house to Biology 101), but... a real love of bikes and cycling comes from an appreciation and fascination with what seems to me to be an ingenious and continually evolving (even if only incrementally) way to translate the relatively small amount of horsepower a human is capable of generating into mph and miles/day on a modern road bike or jeeping it in the outback or off-road trail that may go back hundreds of years-- e.g., to the time of Father Serra on a day's hike between missions.

Last edited by McBTC; 04-24-17 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:00 PM
Zoroman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This reminds me of a conversation I had this past weekend. I had my bike on the back of my car and was parked in front of a Micro Brew. People were on the porch and my car and bike were visible from the porch. This big biker sees my bike and says, "You need GUMWALLS on that! I said I like the white tires. "No no no!", he says. He literally started arguing with me about my bike...

I looked at him and a bunch of people were watching the scene he started and they all looked shocked! I smile and just walked away...
Old 04-24-17, 12:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
That's cool, but when someone new comes along, it shouldn't be portrayed to them that if they aren't looking to be a "serious cyclist" then they are doing it wrong, or they "need" "serious cyclist" gear or they will have no fun!
Old 04-24-17, 12:10 PM
Crawdaddy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well is a Forum where views and ideas are discussed. Wouldn't be any fun if we all had the same view. Doesn't mean you cant do whatever pleases yourself.
Old 04-24-17, 12:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Sure these are price ranges [$1000-$1500] that may be out of reach for some but there is going to be a vast majority of us who will eventually get to those prices ranges.
Sure, just as long as "a vast majority of us" remains the exclusive enclave of "serious cyclists" who buy from specialty dealers (AKA LBS type outlets) and exclude the majority of the population in the U.S. that chooses to buy their bicycles from mass merchants (Walmart, Target, etc.) and chain sporting goods stores.

Bicycles average retail price in the United States in 2012 and 2014, by point of purchase (in U.S. dollars):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...price-bicycle/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike Price.jpg (25.6 KB, 367 views)
Old 04-24-17, 12:20 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
I'm going to start something like this guy is doing and opening a bike popcorn stand. This is going to be entertaining!

By the way, I agree with the OP, just go riding!

Old 04-24-17, 12:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by IamAlan
To the OP, if this has been your experience here, please do not allow it to sour you. I'm new as well and have already learned a LOT of good things. This is a great community!
The OP is anything but "new".
But then neither am I.
Old 04-24-17, 12:31 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Does anyone seriously and truly rides a bike with the intent to please anyone else but himself or herself?

Come on now!
Old 04-24-17, 12:35 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Does anyone seriously and truly rides a bike with the intent to please anyone else but himself or herself?

Come on now!
And if they do, they won't for long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.