Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 09:10 PM
CuttersRidge

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Posted in the other thread, this bike is so unique, I've certainly never seen anything like this. Comments?

Unique 2WD Tretta Road Bike

Old 09-14-16, 10:59 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by CuttersRidge
Posted in the other thread, this bike is so unique, I've certainly never seen anything like this. Comments?

That thing is fascinating. The parts alone look like they could be worth the asking price.

Guaranteed to get you looks from passersby.
Old 09-15-16, 04:42 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Can you turn left though? A quick and tired look makes it seem as though the chain would prevent that. Turning right might also be problematic if it gave you too much slack that the chain fell off the pully. Sure, the amount of turning the wheel while riding at speed is minimal, but if you can't turn a corner while stopped at a light or get up to speed (or get the bike off the rack) because you can't turn the wheel, that's problematic.
Old 09-15-16, 04:59 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Maybe it's just me, but she seems awfully snotty for some broke kid begging for free stuff and offering to pay with "her art". I'm going go out on a limb and guess her "art" is probably only fit for mommy's fridge.

Good job starting to beg on Craigslist less than a week before your one day "tour". No size listed either. As far as trusting CL more than indigo bikes, let's be honest here, you don't want to pay for an indigo and they don't take art at the stall.
Are you getting sick of their crap now, Aaron?

Welcome to the club.
Old 09-15-16, 10:18 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Can you turn left though? A quick and tired look makes it seem as though the chain would prevent that. Turning right might also be problematic if it gave you too much slack that the chain fell off the pully. Sure, the amount of turning the wheel while riding at speed is minimal, but if you can't turn a corner while stopped at a light or get up to speed (or get the bike off the rack) because you can't turn the wheel, that's problematic.
I believe there's a universal joint on that front driveshaft that allows the fork to pivot fully.

Tretta AWD Bicycles put that lazy front wheel to work

Bad audio but a better view

Old 09-15-16, 12:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

I think the technology has very minimal applications for a road bike.

However, I could imagine the benefit on MTBs, and gravel bikes where traction is a big issue. When are they making their AWD FAT bike?

I suppose one could market it for riding in adverse conditions, but still,one might migrate to at least a cross bike when riding in snow & ice.

The only place I ever lose traction on the road bike is climbing my driveway, and I can walk if I need to. I gave up trying to ride it in the snow years ago.

Any idea what the tire clearance would be on that bike? Good enough for 35mm tires? It looks like at least 28's on that bike now, with a little extra clearance.

Anybody willing to facilitate the purchase of that bike? I'm all in for getting it for $200 to '$250
Old 09-15-16, 05:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,226 Posts
I'd say it has a few pinch points. Sure wouldn't want my finger going through that sprocket.
Old 09-15-16, 06:11 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by curbtender
I'd say it has a few pinch points. Sure wouldn't want my finger going through that sprocket.
Hmmm...
Best not get confused between my bike with downtube shifters and brifters. I think I usually grab the water bottle from the right**********

I would have expected chain guards on most of the "city bikes".
Old 09-15-16, 06:54 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Oh, that fork!

Peugeot Touring Bike

Old 09-15-16, 06:59 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Oh, that fork!

Peugeot Touring Bike

OOHH... another one of those Peugeot's with the recurve fork!
Old 09-15-16, 07:13 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Kactus
With the Peugeot, I'm surprised how every steel bike is considered a "Touring Bike"

Hetchins Fork?

Oh... BATES???

Reynolds 531 Vintage 1948 Early English Bates B.A.R Bicycle Frame Rare 57cm

Old 09-15-16, 08:08 PM
CliffordK

I got a bit of a laugh out of this one.

Stolen Bike Trailer (Eugene - Four Corners)

I borrowed my bike trailer to a young homeless couple so that they could move their camp once police ousted them from where they were staying. I knew some of the people that they were camping with so I thought it would be safe to do so.

That was 3 days ago and no one has seen them, or my trailer. They were staying in the four corners area in Train-song Park, but moving to an area past Bertelsen.

Their names are Casey and Brooklyn. Brooklyn has long, brown hair, in her mid 30's...Casey has several tats and is pretty buff, not sure on age range - fairly new out of prison I believe.

My trailer was just made for me for my birthday 2 weeks ago...it's made out of wood, with the middle wooden strip painted a bright blue. It has large white tires and ten white cup hooks around the top edge for securing a tarp.

I'm headed that way to start looking for them. IF it is returned TODAY I will be okay with the outcome....IF NOT, then I will have to take additional steps necessary for the return of my property.
I'd expect the "homeless couple living in a tent to be keeping a close eye on Craigslist!!!
Old 09-16-16, 03:18 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I got a bit of a laugh out of this one.

Stolen Bike Trailer (Eugene - Four Corners)

I'd expect the "homeless couple living in a tent to be keeping a close eye on Craigslist!!!
A business for which I once worked gave away an item valued at $200 to a contest winner. This lovely person then engaged the company in a frivolous lawsuit about the prize that cost many thousands to defend.

It was then I learned of the phrase, "no good deed will go unpunished!"
Old 09-16-16, 12:19 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
No pix, but the the seller didn't come to the realization that he'd made a mistake until it was too late: "I bought the following frame on the Nashbar web site for $175 including shipping, and made the mistake of painting it black before checking to see if my components would fit."

60cm Road Bike frame
Old 09-16-16, 03:28 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
I have seen so many like this, as well as many who claim that they were built that way.
Old 09-17-16, 01:21 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/5785086292.html

I loved this ad. Look in the corner of the photo: Prescription pills and cigarettes. Smokes, pills and riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pedals ans mokes.jpg (16.4 KB, 205 views)
Old 09-17-16, 02:48 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
How about this ad, no pictures, okay, so they are selling a number of bicycles:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Many of finest-most comfy-lugged-high strength alloy steel frame bikes
Many of finest-most comfy-lugged-high strength alloy steel frame bikes (newport)

The finest most comfortable lugged, high strength alloy steel frame bikes ever made.
CALL show contact info

These are the finest, most comfortable, lugged joint, high strength alloy steel frame bikes ever built.

The longest lasting, most comfortable bikes are steel. These have lost wax precision cast lugs and many have high strength Ishiwata triple butted: varied thickness tubing: that is torsionally rigid from exclusive internal splines like a gun barrel. These tubes are triple butted meaning each tube has several thickness changes to save weight in the extremely high strength alloy steel construction. The frames are precision fitted. That allows low temperature silver soldered which maintains the high hardness of heat treated high alloy steel frame components together to make the best bikes ever built. Welding or brazing used in modern bikes weakens the tubing by annealing or drawing back the heat treat hardening of the steel materials. These Ishiwata splined tubings and lost wax cast lugs are no longer made or cost many thousands to buy in a custom built bike!

Brand new semi pro Miyata 914 bike Size 54cm just out of a time capsule from 1993. A steal at my offering prices. Miyata frames have precision lost wax cast steel lugs at the joints. The tubing is triple butted with internal splines for torsional rigidity. The precision of lugs and tubing allows them to be silver soldered together at lower temperatures. These lower temperature builds maintains the heat treatment stiffness of the high strength alloys used, that is compromised when welded or brazed at much higher temperatures.
~Also a used 1400 lugged frame touring/triathlon bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person
~Also a brand new GT 615 lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3" person
~Also a new GT 615 lugged frame touring bicycle. 47 CM. For a strong 4'11' to 5'2" person
~Also a new Team Miyata Pro lugged frame racing bicycle. ~57 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3" person
~Also a Miyata one thousand lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3"
~Also a almost new Miyata 1000 lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM. Will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person
~Also a new semi pro 914 lugged frame touring bicycle. 56 CM
~Also a new Specialized Allez lugged frame Triathlon bicycle. 50 CM
~Also a used Shogun touring bike lugged frame touring bicycle. 56 CM
~Also a used French Peugeot lugged frame touring bicycle. 57 CM
~Also a classic used French Peugeot lugged frame touring bicycle. 57 CM
~Also a new 1996 Lemond Alpe d'Heuz high strength alloy frame touring bicycle. All Campy. 49 CM for a strong 5' to 5'4" person ~Also a !983 52 cm USA made Trek with Belgium produced Wheels.
~Also aKieth Lippy custom high strength alloy, lugged frame touring bicycle. Campy and Shimano 600. 60 CM for a strong 6' to 6'6"
person . Very lite!
~ Also a Raleigh grand prix 58 cm very clean frame and paint job.
~ Also a Fuji Royal 64cm for a very tall person. Has bar end shifters.

These Miyata bikes are some of most the most sought after bike in the world. MSRP new was about 950 dollars plus tax in 1993. Many of these bikes are still in new condition. To build a TRIPLE butted frame like this today, at a bike builder's shop would cost well over two thousand dollars WITH MANY BICYCLE BUILDERS CHARGING OVER 5000 DOLLARS. The 914 will fit a 5'5" to 5'8" tall person. 1400 will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person. As you now know, these are lifetime heirloom purchases. Guaranteed to get good decades of rides too.Β Β Β Here is the Bikepedia link with the specs and Original MSRP.

CALL show contact info
1993Β MiyataΒ 916
Bicycle Type Road race & triathlon
MSRP (new) $950.00
Weight 22.5
Sizes 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63

Frame Construction Lugged steel
Frame Tubing Material Miyata STB chrome-moly TRIPLE BUTTED
Fork Brand & Model STB chrome-moly
Fork Material Β
Rear Shock Β

Components
Component Group Shimano 105 STI
Brakeset Shimano 105 brakes, levers
Shift Levers Shimano 105 STI
Front Derailleur Shimano 105SC
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105SC
Crankset Shimano 105SC, 42/53 teeth
Pedals Shimano 105SC clipless Β
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 12 - 23 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG70
Saddle Miyata
Handlebar Extensions Β
Handlebar Stem CroMo TIG
Headset Β

Wheels
Hubs Shimano 105SC
Rims Araya RS-430, 32-hole

With its even 40-inch wheelbase and 72- degree head angle, the Miyata 914's frame might be more a home in a review of tourers or triathlon bikes than among this month's bevy of entry-level racers.That is, until you remember that Lucien Van Impe wontheTourdeFranceonabikewitha 72-degree head angle.Still, the $950 model 914 is race-worthy and probably far safer for a beginning racer than a more twitchy t)oneshaker.
Outfitted with a full Shimano 105 group, a moderately tight13-24Tfreewheel , the Miyata needs only the strong legs of a licensed rider to join the fray.We can even

HIGH SPEED DESCENT LOW SPEED STABILITY
CORNERING
CLIMBING
MECHANICS
FRONT SHIFTING REAR SHIFTING CONTROL LEVERS BRAKES
OVERALL MECHANICAL OVERALL ROAD FEEL
all 5 out of 5
suggest a race strategy:Get to the front immediately and stay there, because the bike isn't that anxious to comply with instant demands to sidestep ugly crashes or change lines through 90-degree corners when the "wandering weenie" just ahead cuts into your path.
On the other hand, the relatively long wheelbase and no-hands stability make the 914 a fine bike for long road courses over varied terrain.That 40 inches between hubs allows for a lot of shock absorption, as does the generous fork rake.That's intentional, ac- cording to Jim Reid, sales manager for Miyata of America, because the frame is built around some pretty stiff, unforgiving tubes. Raw Miyata tubing comes from the same Japanese mill that supplies Tange and Ishiwata, but there the similarity ends .Using state-of- the-art, in-house reworking and laser cutting machinery, Miyata butts, cuts and miters the raw stock to it's own specifications.
For example, all three main tubes are tri- ple-butted, and all three are different. The top tube starts with a 0.9-millimeter thick section up front, tapers to 0.6 millimeters, then thickens again to 0 .7 millimeters at the seat cluster.These at tube, single-butted on most bikes, has a hefty 1.0-millimeter wall thickness at the bottom bracket before thining to a 0.7-millimeter central section.

Seatpost end is 0.8 millimeters. But it's the 1.0-0.9-1.2-millimeter, triple-butted down tube that makes the most sense. Intuition would dictate putting that thick end into the bottom bracket to stiffen it, right? Wrong . Reid says Miyata's tests showed that the 1.2- millimeter section located at the head tube end held the bottom bracket in check better than the other wayaround.
I'm a bikie, not a slide rule jockey, so I sought out the expertise of our resident frame builder, Jim Redcay. He says savvy builders have always used the longer, butted end of a double-butted down tube at the head tube end for the same reason.What happens, he explains, is that the down tube acts as a torque lever for pedaling forces, increasing the stress at the other end - at the head tube.The real secret to down tube stiffness, Redcay says, is stiffening up the head/down tube joint and the upper fork blades.So much for intuition.
The long, beefy front sections of the top and down tubes also "bulletproof the front end against a collision," Reid adds.At the upper end of the down tube,the extended butt also provides a solid base for the brazed-on shift lever bosses, a weak point on many frames. Specially-designed, investment cast lugs complete the bombproof frame design.
Not surprisingly, the 914 didn't mind a bit when I grudgingly coaxed myself out of the saddle for some dreaded intervals. This is one rigid frame all right, but as Reid claims, there's a modicum of comfort left over.The bike is stiff enough for racing, but triathlons are probably its most appropriate use since the stability that hampers elbow-to-elbow peloton riding is a benefit to solitary efforts
contrelamontre (against the clock).

------------------
thanks,call show contact info
* Miyata 914: Miyata's high-end road bike from the "Semi-Pro" group, with Shimano 105 first generation components.

Best Bike frame materialsΒ

I'm responding to the question posed by unworthy1. I understand that Ishiwata bicycle tubing company closed its tubing operation in 1993. There upon many of its craftsmen found employment with Kaisei. Kaisei is apparently still making tubing and holds a controlling share of the track bike market in Japan. I have no direct knowledge of all this, but recommend the site "bicycleretailer.com/headlines". Another site of interest is "desperadocycles.com" for its comparison of the internal diameters of tubing, including Ishiwata. Also, I propose that you type "Ishiwata tubing" into a search engine and do some browsing. Good luck.

The idea of spline tubing was originally introduced by Columbus with their steering tube. It pre-dated Miyata's splined tubing by decades. Columbus' SLX and SPX splined tube sets were introduced a couple of year's prior to Miyata, so it would appear that Miyata was copying Columbis, though they did introduce a couple of improvements on Columbus.Β

The splines in bicycle tubing are raised, helical ribs that increase strength and rigidity

NO ,Ishiwata was a wonderfull tubing Co.. All on thier own, they're gone for over 15 years. Ishiwata was no Lighter per inch so to speak than Tange or others but the resulting frames generally were lighter than Tange,Tange Prestige being the exception, Ishiwata. provided more varied lengths and such to suit unique needs of various builders. It was used by independants, Fugi and Brigestone. When Taiwan became the major source of frame building, Ishiwata folded,Fuji was a big client. When the Co's stopped using/making frames from Japan, Ishiwata couldn't survive, they made and provided tubes for primarily bike Co's, Tange for ep. made tubing for many types of maufacturers. Like Columbus always did.

Well, if memory serves me correctly, the tubing that Miyata used was made by Ishiwata. I believe that the advantages touted by that tubing was two fold...one, that butted tubing is stronger at the brazed joints and two, the splines were supposed to and strength and torsional stiffness without adding a lot of weight.

True temper, reynolds chromoly or chromo triple butted splined,Β Tange , Ishiwata, Vitus, Reynolds

By virtue of the spline construction, Columbus SLX would be the closest of the vintage tube sets. However, Miyata STB used triple butting to further tailor the tubes and had slightly thinner walls.

In the case of the 1990 and 1991 model 914, the 3 main tubes, steering tube, and fork blades were splined. The seat and stays were plain CrMo.

Brand new Miyata 914 bike Size 54cm just out of a time capsule from 1993. A steal at my offering prices. Miyata frames have precision lost wax cast steel lugs at the joints. The tubing is triple butted with internal splines for torsional rigidity. The precision of lugs and tubing allows them to be silver soldered together at lower temperatures. These lower temperature builds maintains the heat treatment stiffness of the high strength alloys used, that is compromised when welded or brazed at much higher temperatures.
~Also a used 1400 lugged frame touring/triathlon bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person
~Also a brand new GT 915 lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3" person
~Also a new GT 915 lugged frame touring bicycle. 47 CM. For a strong 4'11' to 5'2" person
~Also a new Team Miyata lugged frame racing bicycle. ~57 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3" person
~Also a Miyata one thousand lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM will fit a 5'10" to 6' 3"
~Also a almost new Miyata 1000 lugged frame touring bicycle. 58 CM. Will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person
~Also a new914 lugged frame touring bicycle. 56 CM
~Also a new Specialized Allez lugged frame Triathon bicycle. 50 CM
~Also a used Shogun touring bike lugged frame touring bicycle. 56 CM
~Also a used French Peugeot lugged frame touring bicycle. 57 CM
~Also a classic used French Peugeot lugged frame touring bicycle. 57 CM
~Also a new Lemond Alpe d'heir high strength alloy frame touring bicycle. All Campy. 49 CM for a strong 5' to 5'4" person

These Miyata bikes are some of most the most sought after bike in the world. MSRP new was about 950 dollars plus tax in 1993. Many of these bikes are still in new condition. To build a TRIPLE butted frame like this today, at a bike builder's shop would cost well over two thousand dollars WITH MANY BICYCLE BUILDERS CHARGING OVER 5000 DOLLARS. The 914 will fit a 5'5" to 5'8" tall person. 1400 will fit a 5'11" to 6' 3" person. As you now know, these are lifetime heirloom purchases. Guaranteed to get good decades of rides too.Β Β Β Here is the Bikepedia link with the specs and Original MSRP.

CALL show contact info
1993Β MiyataΒ 916
Bicycle Type Road race & triathlon
MSRP (new) $950.00
Weight 22.5
Sizes 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63

Frame Construction Lugged steel
Frame Tubing Material Miyata STB chrome-moly TRIPLE BUTTED
Fork Brand & Model STB chrome-moly
Fork Material Β
Rear Shock Β

Components
Component Group Shimano 105 STI
Brakeset Shimano 105 brakes, levers
Shift Levers Shimano 105 STI
Front Derailleur Shimano 105SC
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105SC
Crankset Shimano 105SC, 42/53 teeth
Pedals Shimano 105SC clipless Β
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 12 - 23 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-HG70
Saddle Miyata
Handlebar Extensions Β
Handlebar Stem CroMo TIG
Headset Β

Wheels
Hubs Shimano 105SC
Rims Araya RS-430, 32-hole

With its even 40-inch wheelbase and 72- degree head angle, the Miyata 914's frame might be more a home in a review of tourers or triathlon bikes than among this month's bevy of entry-level racers.That is, until you remember that Lucien Van Impe wontheTourdeFranceonabikewitha 72-degree head angle.Still, the $950 model 914 is race-worthy and probably far safer for a beginning racer than a more twitchy t)oneshaker.
Outfitted with a full Shimano 105 group, a moderately tight13-24Tfreewheel , the Miyata needs only the strong legs of a licensed rider to join the fray.We can even
HIGH SPEED DESCENT LOW SPEED STABILITY
CORNERING
CLIMBING
MECHANICS
FRONT SHIFTING REAR SHIFTING CONTROL LEVERS BRAKES
OVERALL MECHANICAL OVERALL ROAD FEEL
all 5 out of 5
suggest a race strategy:Get to the front im- mediately and stay there, because the bike isn't that anxious to comply with instant de- mands to sidestep ugly crashes or change lines through 90-degree corners when the "wandering weenie" just ahead cuts into yourpath.
On the other hand, the relatively long wheelbase and no-hands stability make the 914 a fine bike for long road courses over varied terrain.That 40 inches between hubs allows for a lot of shock absorption, as does the generous fork rake.That's intentional, ac- cording to Jim Reid, sales manager for Miyata of America, because the frame is built around some pretty stiff, unforgiving tubes. Raw Miyata tubing comes from thesame Jap- anese mill that supplies Tange and Ishiwata, but there the similarity ends .Using state-of- the-art, in-house reworking and laser cutting machinery, Miyata butts, cuts and miters the rawstocktoitsownspecifications.
For example, all three main tubes are tri- ple-butted, and all three are different. The top tube starts with a 0.9-millimeter thick section up front, tapers to 0.6 millimeters, then thickens again to 0 .7 millimeters at the seatcluster.Theseattube,single-buttedon most bikes, has a hefty 1.0-millimeter wall thickness at the bottom bracket before thin- ping to a 0.7-millimeter central section.

Seatpost end is 0.8 millimeters. But it's the 1.0-0.9-1.2-millimeter, triple-butted down tube that makes the most sense. Intuition would dictate putting that thick end into the bottom bracket to stiffen it, right? Wrong . Reid says Miyata's tests showed that the 1.2- millimeter section located at the head tube end held the bottom bracket in check better thantheotherwayaround.
I'm a bikie, not a slide rule jockey, so I sought out the expertise of our resident frame builder, Jim Redcay. He says savvy builders have always used the longer, butted end of a double-butted down tube at the head tube end for the same reason.What happens, he explains, is that the down tube acts as a torque lever for pedaling forces, increasing the stress at the other end - at the head tube.The real secret to down tube stiffness, Redcay says, is stiffening up the head/down tube joint and the upper fork blades.So much for intuition.
The long, beefy front sections of the top and down tubes also "bulletproof the front end against a collision," Reid adds.At the up- perend ofthedown tube,theextended butt also provides a solid base for the brazed-on shift lever bosses, a weak point on many frames. Specially-designed, investment cast lugs complete the bombproof frame design.
Not surprisingly, the 914 didn't mind a bit when I grudgingly coaxed myself out of the saddle for some dreaded intervals. This is one rigid frame all right, but as Reid claims, there's a modicum of comfort left over.The bike is stiff enough for racing, but triathlons are probably its most appropriate use since the stability that hampers elbow-to-elbow peloton riding is a benefit to solitary efforts
contrelamontre(againsttheclock).

------------------
thanks, Wally. show contact info
* Miyata 914: Miyata's high-end road bike from the "Semi-Pro" group, with Shimano 105 first generation components.

Best Bike frame materialsΒ

I'm responding to the question posed by unworthy1. I understand that Ishiwata bicycle tubing company closed its tubing operation in 1993. Thereupon many of its craftsmen found employment with Kaisei. Kaisei is apparently still making tubing and holds a controlling share of the track bike market in Japan. I have no direct knowledge of all this, but recommend the site "bicycleretailer.com/headlines". Another site of interest is "desperadocycles.com" for its comparison of the internal diameters of tubing, including Ishiwata. Also, I propose that you type "Ishiwata tubing" into a search engine and do some browsing. Good luck.

The idea of spline tubing was originally introduced by Columbus with their steering tube. It pre-dated Miyata's splined tubing by decades. Columbus' SLX and SPX splined tubesets were introduced a couple of year's prior to Miyata, so it would appear that Miyata was copying Columbis, though they did introduce a couple of improvements on Columbus.Β

The splines in bicycle tubing are raised, helical ribs that increase strength and rigidity

NO ,Ishiwata was a woderfull tubing Co.. All on thier own, they're gone for over 15 years. Ishiwata was no Lighter per inch so to speak than Tange or others but the resulting frames generally wre lighter than Tange,Tange Prestige being the exception,Ishi. provided more varied lengths and such to suit unique needs of various builders. It was used by independants, Fugi and Brigestone. When Taiwan became the major source of frame building, Ishiwata folded,Fuji was a big client. When the Co's stopped using/making frames from Japan, Ishiwata couldn't survive, they made and provided tubes for primarily bike Co's, Tange for ep. made tubing for many types of maufacturers. Like Columbus always did.

Well, if memory serves me correctly, the tubing that Miyata used was made by Ishiwata. I believe that the advantages touted by that tubing was two fold...one, that butted tubing is stronger at the brazed joints and two, the splines were supposed to and strength and torsional stiffness without adding a lot of weight.

True temper, reynolds chromoly or chromo triple butted splined,Β Tange , Ishiwata, Vitus, Reynolds

By virtue of the spline construction, Columbus SLX would be the closest of the vintage tubesets. However, Miyata STB used triple butting to further tailor the tubes and had slightly thinner walls.

In the case of the 1990 and 1991 model 914, the 3 main tubes, steering tube, and fork blades were splined. The seat and stays were plain CrMo.
^Wow, that is absolutely insane, lol. Talk about serious OCD..
Old 09-18-16, 02:34 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 881 Times in 528 Posts
vintage Campagnolo (Italian) road bike

Bike is in awesome shape!

Men's vintage road bike

Men's vintage road bike - $120 (Carrboro)

image 1 of 8

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Campagnolo

Selling a men's vintage Campagnolo (Italian) road bike. Brake lines, tires, tubes all in good condition. Seat has tears (works, but could be replaced) but otherwise bike is in awesome shape. Ideal size for someone 6' or taller. See photos.
Old 09-18-16, 02:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Everybody has a cellphone or garmin mount these days, but this is old school!!

best of craigslist: Vintage, Artisinal Telephones

Vintage, Artisinal Telephones

image 1 of 4

These vintage phones were handused in Austin, Texas at a boutique call center....
Old 09-19-16, 07:25 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Lots of bike stuff, parts, accessories

my cheating husband ran off to new Mexico with his *****, so I'm selling all his ****.
Old 09-19-16, 07:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/5785086292.html

I loved this ad. Look in the corner of the photo: Prescription pills and cigarettes. Smokes, pills and riding.
Hey, they're Marlboro Lights. No problem.
Old 09-20-16, 08:45 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Yikes...I don't know much about the value, but I have to question some of the wisdom here. Investing $5,000 to upgrade a bike and then selling it for half that. This was supposed to be a bike for his son to take to college. Sounds like it would have been a thief magnet.

Klein Mountain Custom 27 Speed Bike W/ Over $5K in Upgrades - $2500 (Lakeland)

Up for Sale is a Very Rare and in Excellent Condition, a Pre 1994 Klein Adept Comp Custom 27 Speed Mountain Racer. I have put over $5,000.00 in Upgrades, my wife and I had purchased it for my son. Since our son Never Once gave us the first minute of problem growing up, and got a Full Ride Scholarship to Pre Med College. Since he saved us Tens of Thousands of Dollars in College Tuition. So spending this money on the upgrades we did were still many thousands less then what we would have had to spend.

My son had talked about the fact of how a bike would be a great source of transportation at College. Well after a weekend visit to the College he is attending he came home with different ideas on a bike and felt that he really wanted a F-150 PU and not a bike. Wes being the great son he is after he got home and we gave him the bike he was surprised and took it for One Ride around the block, and that is all that it's been risen since the Restoration. Even though it did not need a Restoration, I still wanted to upgrade it to the Super Mountain Bike it is, did I go overboard yes, but nothing was too good for our only son! Wes did not say anything for days but I knew something was wrong when he did not ride the bike again. So we talked and he told us that he did not want to disappoint us and that he would make the bike work just fine. Another example of just how Blessed we are to have Wes as our only son. Wes got his F-150PU and the bike was wrapped up in a moving blanket and hung on a wall inside the house under AC on a bike rack that's used for storing bikes. This bike is in just as Excellent Conditin as it was 5 years ago when we put it away for storage.

We're asking $2,500.00 or Best Offer, I'm
Not going to give it away but we are very flexible. I also Collect Vintage Switchblades and Vintage Case, Ka-Bar and other Top Quality Knives that I would consider. I do pay Top Dollar for Vintage Switchblades and there are some out there that I would swap Even Up Trade the Knife for the Bike. We are open for working out some kind of Deal if you are. Below is a Small List of just some of the Upgrades Done, Please look at the pictures to see all of the Upgrades, as when I took it to University Bike Shop in Tampa and gave them Cart-Blanche on the Upgrades. When I picked it up two weeks later I about choked when they gave me the bill, I Never Knew the Cost Of these parts but they are "The Best of the Best"!!! Below is the List!

• DEUS XC RACEFACE SPROCKETS
• LX DEORE SHIMANO DERAILER MEGA
• CRANK BROTHERS PEDALS
• SHIMANO DEORE X1 ORO
• LIZARDSKINS CHAIN GUARD
• REBA SL
• ROCX SHOX
• FOX RACING SHOX
• FORMULA 1 DISC BRAKES, FRONT & REAR
•MAVIC X 717 DISC ALL TERRAIN TIRES
•HOPE PRO II HUBS
• BONTRAGER CARBON FIBER GOOSENECK
• CHRIS KING GOOSENECK SEALED BEARING No ThreadSet
• LASER WTB LEATHER SEAT
• MADE IN USA CHEHALIS WASHINGTON
• THOMSON SEAT BAR
Old 09-20-16, 09:21 AM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Lots of bike stuff, parts, accessories

my cheating husband ran off to new Mexico with his *****, so I'm selling all his ****.
Thread winner right there!
Old 09-20-16, 09:30 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Yikes...I don't know much about the value, but I have to question some of the wisdom here. Investing $5,000 to upgrade a bike and then selling it for half that. This was supposed to be a bike for his son to take to college. Sounds like it would have been a thief magnet.

Klein Mountain Custom 27 Speed Bike W/ Over $5K in Upgrades - $2500 (Lakeland)...
Pretty sweet bike for the time, but MTB technology is improving too fast. IMO at this point no 26" bike is worth $2500, even new.
Old 09-20-16, 11:42 AM
9volt 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
That Klein is listed in Tampa and LA. The LA ad is just a rant about shipping and Ebay but the same random capitalization:

Klein Mountain Custom 27 Speed Bike W/ Over $5K in Upgrades

To start with I can have this Custom Mountain Bike Professionally Pachaged and Shipped, Securing The Safest Possible Way Ever. On eBay I've shipped over 1,7 Million Dollars in the last 7 years from Fine Art to Antique Classic Cars & Everything in Between! With Never Any Issues Ever and that's Worldwide Shipping, not as Easy as it may sound and I Don't plan on starting anytime soon, insurance could even be placed on the Bike.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.