Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 05:55 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
.... My wife, who set a UCI world record this year on the track, rode in a Champion carbon skin suit with the zipper on the back. If fit really well and seems durable. Most clothing manufacturers do not understand that women are not small men.

You should post more about her. Living vicariously through others is not so bad with far less road rash. I was going to say less pain.
Old 11-09-15, 07:21 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dig the Castelli stuff and they have a pretty broad range of "quality". I usually grab a couple team jerseys for training since they seem to be bomb proof and I'll get a couple of the aero jerseys for racing or warmer riding. The only downer is the order minimums and having to buy a 6 month supply at a time. Jakroo makes some solid stuff while having no minimums and a 2 week lag between order and product arrival.

Regarding skinsuits, it seems the body paint was most common on the TT scene and the Castelli stuff fits me well. I'll prob go that route.
Old 11-09-15, 07:47 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have the assos speed suit from a year ago or so.and a ORnot which I have no idea if it's aero or not .. Funny
Old 11-09-15, 08:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
You should post more about her. Living vicariously through others is not so bad with far less road rash. I was going to say less pain.
If and that is a big if...people want to here about my wife's records, they want to here it from her not me. I was just trying to help a fellow NorCal racer.
Old 11-09-15, 08:08 PM
Doge

If and that is a big if...people want to here about my wife's records, they want to here it from her not me. I was just trying to help a fellow NorCal racer.
You may be right, but not for me. Lots of special racers that do not post. I want to hear the details.
Old 11-09-15, 09:52 PM
hack

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would default to whatever Doge's kid rides.

Many of the "fast" skin suits, such as Castelli, are not very durable - big depends. So be prepared to have seams rip that require repair with a special sewing machine or they are good for a couple of races. My wife, who set a UCI world record this year on the track, rode in a Champion carbon skin suit with the zipper on the back. If fit really well and seems durable. Most clothing manufacturers do not understand that women are not small men.

Whatever you get, the fit should be amazingly tight and hence, the likelihood to damage it when putting it on and taking it off.
Like this one here (obviously not Lampre ..):
Carbon Rear Zipper SpeedSuit - Skinsuits - Men's Cycling Collection - Cycling - Browse Custom Apparel

I figure I'd use it for real TTs only at first and then maybe on the local training TT series after the novelty tapered off. If that novelty persists, I have another basic skinsuit.
Old 11-10-15, 12:56 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by hack
Like this one here (obviously not Lampre ..):
Carbon Rear Zipper SpeedSuit - Skinsuits - Men's Cycling Collection - Cycling - Browse Custom Apparel

I figure I'd use it for real TTs only at first and then maybe on the local training TT series after the novelty tapered off. If that novelty persists, I have another basic skinsuit.
Yes, that is the one.
Old 11-10-15, 09:02 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yes, that is the one.
I do not have one so I do not know how it feels on and handles body heat build up and etc.
Old 11-11-15, 01:24 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It's trainer season! In case any of you are looking at trainer tires, I totally recommend the Conti Hometrainer. I'm on the 3rd floor of an old building so vibration is a big issue, and it's helped cut down on it significantly.
Old 11-11-15, 05:44 PM
Doge

Can anyone suggest a good handlebar 4.5” phone mount?
We don't Android or iOS. But so much bike stuff requires it (new BSX Lactate tester) - from Wahoo Kicker, to Garmin tethering stuff.
So...bought an android "phone" – quotes because I’m not buying a talk plan, just using it as a head unit for cycling stuff. I may put a SIM in it for data only that I use in my hotpot and use the phone instead.
Old 11-12-15, 01:35 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
For those with SRM PC7, when you upload to strava does it pick up altitude gain from files?
Old 11-12-15, 05:59 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Seriously thinking about giving tubeless a try. The wheels probably won't be used for racing, and cost is a factor. The plan at this point is Ultegra wheels and Specialized Roubaix tubeless tires (I work in a Specialized LBS). Any alternative recommendations?

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-12-15, 06:11 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Seriously thinking about giving tubeless a try. The wheels probably won't be used for racing, and cost is a factor. The plan at this point is Ultegra wheels and Specialized Roubaix tubeless tires (I work in a Specialized LBS). Any alternative recommendations?
I am really digging IRC tires (tried Fusions and Ones as well) but haven't tried any Specialized. Orange Seal seems to be the best and it has worked great for me so far. As well, I had Fairwheel build me up a rear Pacenti 23 tubeless and I love the wide internal rim. So, not much to say other than tubes = never again.
Old 11-14-15, 02:58 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like i'm in need of new cx shoes. the stitching that held the buckle to the shoe on my northwaves failed (going to email them in hopes of a warranty, lol). do spec mtb shoes fit similar to their road shoes? getting to the shop to try on a pair is...inconvenient, especially for the next few weeks.
Old 11-14-15, 03:28 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The current line of Specialized tires are developed by the same engineers behind the Conti GP4000S. Aka smart people. And the tubeless variants are competitive. I haven't tried any road tires just yet, but I'm very impressed with Specialized Terra CX tires. For wheels, I'm riding November, November Nimbus Ti hubs (basically a White Industries T11 or whatever) laced to Pacenti SL23s.
Old 11-14-15, 06:19 PM
revchuck 
OMC

While the new version of the S-Works Turbo tubeless tires are the products of the two Wolfs, I'm pretty sure the Roubaix tubeless tires pre-date their arrival at Specialized. They ought to be pretty good anyway, since the rolling resistance of the regular version was tested and found to be almost identical to the now-discontinued 120 tpi version of the Turbo Pro. I could only find one review of the Roubaix tubeless using Google. It was positive, but lacking in detail.

I briefly considered getting a pair of the S-Works version, but for a training tire...nah.

The Ultegra wheels are on their way from Merlin. $300 including shipping.

ETA: I found reviews at Road Bike Review, but they're lacking in detail as well.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-14-15, 10:47 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
do spec mtb shoes fit similar to their road shoes? getting to the shop to try on a pair is...inconvenient, especially for the next few weeks.
yes...at least speaking for the 2015 & prior s-works road shoes and the SW MTB shoes, with symmetrical and asymm tongues. the fit of the 2016 road shoes changed a bit; i wear the same size, but some people complain about changes. 2016 MTB shoes did not change.

order from specialized's web site, then return what you don't need?
Old 11-15-15, 05:51 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar to TKP trainer season is here. Was prepping the torture device (KK Rock n Roll) for an FTP test the next morning when I discovered a nice big crack in the frame section that holds the bike + resistance unit. Of course I wasn't too stoked about this but did my FTP test anyways, since well, nothing stops training in my book as small as a cracked frame. What was pretty awesome though is that this was one of the original designs of the Rock n Roll so I contacted KK about a warranty claim and they sent me one of the updated frame models as a warranty replacement. I really thought they would just send me the part of the frame that was broken and leave it at that.

This probably explains why I could never get this thing to stop creaking and why it was impossible to prevent the thing from dragging the tire on the floor (Don't worry I put down a sacrificial mat)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Photo Nov 09, 7 30 20 PM.jpg (100.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-15-15, 07:27 AM
revchuck 
OMC

I'm in the process of buying a new house, and it has a level covered concrete back porch. Normal winter temps in the morning here are 30-50 degrees F. I'm thinking of doing trainer rides outside on the porch when it's rainy/wet/slick etc. The positive part would be fresh air while I'm on the trainer, negative would be having to stare at the backyard rather than the flat screen. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-15-15, 07:34 AM
longe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of buying a new house, and it has a level covered concrete back porch. Normal winter temps in the morning here are 30-50 degrees F. I'm thinking of doing trainer rides outside on the porch when it's rainy/wet/slick etc. The positive part would be fresh air while I'm on the trainer, negative would be having to stare at the backyard rather than the flat screen. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what are your thoughts?
1.5 hours, good. 4 hours, not so good.
Old 11-15-15, 08:35 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is four hours on the trainer ever good?
Old 11-15-15, 10:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
my thoughts exactly.
Old 11-15-15, 10:51 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
duration up to that of your longest race. i say go for it, really

i hate riding in cold rain (anything below 50-55F), and there's a higher likelihood of getting sick when riding in the rain (look up petrichor)

i think i've done at least one 3hr+ roller rides in each of the past seasons, and having TV helps greatly

lately i'm also getting more concerned about the safety of some of the roads I ride on and the general boredom of the scenery (2 straight hours of nothing but farmlands). One very small town, and that's it...

Personally, i'm doing a ~3hr ride today by going around a 3-mile loop today as opposed to going outside of DC...
Old 11-15-15, 03:12 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longe
1.5 hours, good. 4 hours, not so good.
Did you not live through last winter up here? That was my Saturday workout for quite a while.
Old 11-15-15, 04:12 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tetonrider
yes...at least speaking for the 2015 & prior s-works road shoes and the SW MTB shoes, with symmetrical and asymm tongues. the fit of the 2016 road shoes changed a bit; i wear the same size, but some people complain about changes. 2016 MTB shoes did not change.

order from specialized's web site, then return what you don't need?
ended up making it to the shop today and they had my size! my 42.5 sworks road shoes are a little big and the 42 sworks xc fit perfect. first impressions are v positive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.