Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newest Dura-ace and Ultegra will be electronic only

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Newest Dura-ace and Ultegra will be electronic only

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 05:48 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I understand they are production capacity constrained due to demand and fire, so they need to maximize revenue and push people into higher margin products to make up for it. But I am not feeling it. Shimano nailed mechanical groupsets, seems like introducing electronics is such a minor benefit, it's not worth the hassle. Previously I would pay a bit more for Ultegra, but it looks like Shimano is steering me into buying 105, which will now be my go to groupset instead of Ultegra.
Also, philosophically, we went from road bike world where you had to worry about mechanics and pneumatics. Keep the chain lubed, inflate tires, and go ride.
Now you also have to think about hydraulics, electronics, batteries, and radio communication between components. More money, more potential problems. And it's not like riding experience got significantly better as a result. It's basically same for a lot more money.
Old 09-09-21, 06:42 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
... the electronic or not discussion started on the 41 a decade ago. I guess after 10 years it moves to C&V?...
I remember it being a hot topic nearly three decades ago, when MAVIC introduced ZAP electronic shifting, circa 1994. It would already qualify as C&V, unless you ascribe to the rule that nothing post-Tullio is C&V.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-09-21, 11:27 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 550 Posts
I have been a voyeur on this topic since honestly, we know what the reaction amongst this group would be.
I have many opinions about society’s love affair with electronics and now this has smashed its enormous boot into (sort of) mainstream cycling. As mentioned earlier, I agree that this will trickle down to department store bikes quickly. Generally, people relate to electronics better than mechanical things in this day and age.
Stepping away from cycling - I’m a die-hard manual transmission supporter in cars but I’ve driven some very fancy cars with dual clutch gearboxes and they are VERY impressive. BUT - the idea that my bike won’t work properly because of a dead battery? Pass…
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 09-10-21, 12:48 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I have been a voyeur on this topic since honestly, we know what the reaction amongst this group would be.
I have many opinions about society’s love affair with electronics and now this has smashed its enormous boot into (sort of) mainstream cycling. As mentioned earlier, I agree that this will trickle down to department store bikes quickly. Generally, people relate to electronics better than mechanical things in this day and age.
Stepping away from cycling - I’m a die-hard manual transmission supporter in cars but I’ve driven some very fancy cars with dual clutch gearboxes and they are VERY impressive. BUT - the idea that my bike won’t work properly because of a dead battery? Pass…
Much in the same way Shimano's SIS indexed shifting was soon spread to essentially all component lines, I have been waiting for electronic shifting to be 'democratized' and find its way downstream. The counters to cries of "But, Dura-Ace and Ultegra [and various SRAM and Campagnolo e-shift groups] will lose their exclusivity!" are the same as they were before: Aesthetics, weight, finish quality, shift quality (and/or speed), feature count/programming options, gear/cog count, and good 'ol compatibility (or lack thereof). Di2 Shimano 105 would be a dagger. I know Campagnolo had an 11-speed Athena EPS groupset, which was a little heavier than Super Record EPS and (naturally) not compatible. I had one, but even it was incredibly expensive.

What will be the sea change to make lower-end electronic shifting more practical? Probably wireless communication as humans can generally change out batteries but struggle with running wires inside a frame, that is unless manufacturers make lower end frames e-shift compatible (which I don't think they'll do unless facing a flood of cheap e-shift groupset offerings). If you think about it, a 1x hybrid would have a battery in the shift/brake unit and would wirelessly communicate with the rear derailleur which would have its own motor and battery (and thus charge port, plus shift setup buttons). That's a stupid simple setup, cheap enough, too, especially if it doesn't matter if the RD weighs 300-350g or whatever. Throw a chain on it, tune the RD "tension" and go. You only have to run two brake cables/lines like a dang single speed! How clean and simple is that???

Also, manual transmissions FTW, even if I drive an auto presently (but looking to get back to stick shift, because fun, engagement, maintenance, and trustworthiness). Even new slushboxes still have the same hesitations and "logic" as their predecessors. Baffling. I guess normal Americans (and whomever else that loves autos) who don't care to think too much about their drive (and just need an appliance to reliably get to and from work or do anything else) put up with it, but paying $50k+ to have it be no better than an old 4-speed OD trans from a '90s Taurus just gets me. If there's going to be any flubbed shifting in my next car, it will be the operator's (me) "logic" at fault. [BTW those DSG boxes from VW/Audi et al are very impressive. Faster than a manual and can handle big power now. But we know that and expected it, especially in scenarios where shift speed matters (aka racing...not unlike cycling!)]
Old 09-10-21, 04:32 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
I don't hate this, but I do not like the idea of more things with batteries. And then creating more battery trash.