Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 10:38 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It really doesn't. It's the only time in your life when you get to make any decision you want to make. And, from the sounds of it you've made some pretty good decisions.

You have a wife that loves you, a cute little girl who no doubt adores you as much as you do her, a son on the way, a well-paying job that doesn't break your back, a nice house, and you're not battling any serious health issues. Life is good!
This
Old 12-14-22, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I don't know how people can watch TV and ride. I can ride, or I can watch TV, but not both at the same time. If I try to do both, I have difficulty maintaining intensity. ANY intensity.
Ergometer mode.
Old 12-14-22, 10:48 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
It really doesn't. It's the only time in your life when you get to make any decision you want to make. And, from the sounds of it you've made some pretty good decisions.

You have a wife that loves you, a cute little girl who no doubt adores you as much as you do her, a son on the way, a well-paying job that doesn't break your back, a nice house, and you're not battling any serious health issues. Life is good!

I used to do a gratitude list daily, I need to get back to doing that.
Old 12-14-22, 10:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ergometer mode.
I think I'd find any excuse not to ride, then. Not a big fan of structured workouts. I tried Wahoo's SYSTM last year, but it wasn't my thing. If I'm gonna be stuck in the garage riding, I still need to feel like I'm going somewhere. I think that's why I can ride on Zwift's routes that go through virtual countrysides, but I really don't like Neokyo.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-14-22, 11:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I think I'd find any excuse not to ride, then. Not a big fan of structured workouts. I tried Wahoo's SYSTM last year, but it wasn't my thing. If I'm gonna be stuck in the garage riding, I still need to feel like I'm going somewhere. I think that's why I can ride on Zwift's routes that go through virtual countrysides, but I really don't like Neokyo.
I use erg mode for endurance and just vary resistance by a few watts pseudorandomly every few min to break up the monotony over a couple of hours. Not what one usually thinks of as a "structured" workout.
Old 12-14-22, 11:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I use erg mode for endurance and just vary resistance by a few watts pseudorandomly every few min to break up the monotony over a couple of hours. Not what one usually thinks of as a "structured" workout.
I think I need the variation of pseudoterrain. That's why I run Zwift at 100% trainer difficulty. But that's me.

I have concluded, however, that running at 100% tends to make me work too hard on climbs during races. Fat as I am, I tend to end up in front of whatever pack I'm in on the little kickers, standing up and burning energy while others are probably seated and putting out the same power, or maybe a LITTLE more, but not 100+ more watts. It's possible I'm a dumbass.

Old 12-14-22, 11:24 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
For hard workouts, I need music, which is a whole 'nother problem. I am talking feature-length sessions of LT1 boredom and "taintalgia."

Tell me more of what you like on Netflix, which has the advantage of streaming well from the iPhone via an HDMI dongle. I haven't really enjoyed anything since "Shtisel."
I never saw that, but looking at it, I'd expect you'd like Ozark. The Good Place is a dramedy with a lot of philosophical discussion and theory filtered into a funny show. The first season is excellent but it tapers off from there (still very worth watching!) as the writers ran past their original ideas. Lost in Space is good, but if you expect it to be fully faithful to the original you'll be disappointed. Locke and Key is a good teen magic story, better than that makes it sound if you take my meaning. "You" is outstanding but may make your soul feel dirty in the process.

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Squid Games, and Stranger Things you must be aware of, but are also excellent.

If you decide you don't like any of those, well, there's no chance I can help you.

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 12-14-22 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-14-22, 11:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I never saw that, but looking at it, I'd expect you'd like Ozark. The Good Place is a dramedy with a lot of philosophical discussion and theory filtered into a funny show. The first season is excellent but it tapers off from there (still very worth watching!) as the writers ran past their original ideas. Lost in Space is good, but if you expect it to be fully faithful to the original you'll be disappointed. Locke and Key is a good teen magic story, better than that makes it sound if you take my meaning. "You" is outstanding but may make your soul feel dirty in the process.

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and Stranger Things you must be aware of, but are also excellent.

If you decide you don't like any of those, well, there's no chance I can help you.
So many of the best shows revolve around people making bad choices. Mrs. FBW and I have been watching "Homeland", and the other day she says to me, "Why is Carrie doing that?", and I said, "Has anything in the last 5 seasons ever suggested she makes good choices?"

Old 12-14-22, 11:34 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

So many of the best shows revolve around people making bad choices. Mrs. FBW and I have been watching "Homeland", and the other day she says to me, "Why is Carrie doing that?", and I said, "Has anything in the last 5 seasons ever suggested she makes good choices?"
The problem is that good decisions don't lead to stories worth telling. Most of us would prefer to live that way when we have to live with the consequences, but in stories it is boring.

My sister couldn't understand why I said Cartman was my favorite South Park character when he's such a jerk. And he is, and I wouldn't want to hang out with him, but he drives most of the conflict that the show revolves around. Stan, Kyle, and Kenny would have much smoother lives without him, and I'd have little-to-no interest in the show.
Old 12-14-22, 11:48 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
The good news is that the OEM battery also lasted five years.
Gotta save where you can
Old 12-14-22, 12:01 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by bampilot06

I’ve never had the water in my bottle freeze before during a ride.
Needs more Vodka.
Likes For ls01:
Old 12-14-22, 12:01 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I don't know how people can watch TV and ride. I can ride, or I can watch TV, but not both at the same time. If I try to do both, I have difficulty maintaining intensity. ANY intensity.
Its easy with ERG
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 12-14-22, 12:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug

Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Squid Games, and Stranger Things you must be aware of, but are also excellent.

Thanks. I'll look into The Good Place. I watched a season of Ozark and found it, like many of the similar shows I've seen, populated by cardboard cutouts tracking mechanically around a basically unbelievable plot. In other words, not worth the gratuitous violence, which always bothers me.

As can see, I'm rather hard to please.

I thought Katla was okay.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-14-22, 12:02 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,736 Posts
I'll be home alone for Christmas this year, I wonder if there is anything on TV I could watch?
Old 12-14-22, 12:07 PM
ls01
he said member

I've heard Rouve is better visually. I never tried it myself. Supposed to be actual rather than virtual.
Old 12-14-22, 12:09 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Its easy with ERG
ERG is teh Debil
Old 12-14-22, 12:13 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by ls01
I've heard Rouve is better visually. I never tried it myself. Supposed to be actual rather than virtual.
LSS uses it. It is much better visually, really cool, actually, but lacks the social aspect of Zwift. Also, most annoyingly, it lacks in-app trainer calibration.
Old 12-14-22, 12:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
In Zwift, I do a mix of structured workouts, and intentioned rides. Once in a while, I'll just ride without any plan and put in whatever kind of effort I'm feeling like in the moment. Structured workouts in ERG mode give me the unrelenting effort demands when I'm trying to work on something specific (30sec high intensity intervals is one I use frequently), but I'm still doing it within the Zwift landscape, so the scenery is better than the inside of my garage door. Intentioned rides (target effort level) are sometimes done solo, but sometimes with a bot group riding at the w/kg I'm shooting for. Last night's 2.6 bot group ride simulates a moderate-high tempo effort for me, with a few bigger efforts mixed in for fun, in reaction to the dynamics of the group.
Old 12-14-22, 12:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Is it inappropriate to suck the wheel of a female Zwifter without permission or at least an introduction?
Old 12-14-22, 12:26 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Early in our relationship, LSS, who was even less of a romantic in her younger days, pointed out to me that love stories are about people behaving foolishly and acting against their own interests, and that mature, centered, people don't do that. It does, however, make good lit.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-14-22, 12:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Thanks. I'll look into The Good Place. I watched a season of Ozark and found it, like many of the similar shows I've seen, populated by cardboard cutouts tracking mechanically around a basically unbelievable plot. In other words, not worth the gratuitous violence, which always bothers me.

As can see, I'm rather hard to please.

I thought Katla was okay.
And this is where I say it's not a documentary.

Yeah, you're a tough one. Do try You as well.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 12-14-22, 12:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Rouvy is good and I like their AR system. I like the TACX videos better, but would be on Rouvy if I didn't use a TACX trainer. Both have the problem that they seem to think we really want to ride stupidly-steep climbs instead of good workout routes.

Rouvy is probably described as "actual" because it is indeed real video with the other riders drawn on.
Old 12-14-22, 12:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Is it inappropriate to suck the wheel of a female Zwifter without permission or at least an introduction?
Some of them are smokin'! I usually break the ice with a nice "Ride on."
Old 12-14-22, 12:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
ERG is teh Debil
Accurate...but it's really effective.
Old 12-14-22, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Accurate...but it's really effective.
Structured workouts are hell without it, for me. Or, perhaps, a lot more hellish. The mental energy of trying to keep my power from wandering one way or another makes the workout worse. With Erg, all I have to do is keep turning the pedals, maybe experiment with cadence if it's not specified in the workout. That's how I figured out I can push more power longer at >95 than at <90. But hills still feel best to me at 85-90.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.