Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 10:19 AM
cosmodc
Fledgling

Bikes: Swift Folder, Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift
Hi cosmodc. Haven't seen you around here since you last posted pics of your Swift.

If you are planning on using the stem you already have, then you'll want to look for a riser bar that has a 25.4mm clamp diameter. Then you'll need to decide how high of a rise you want. Typically, you can get risers in .5", 1.0", 1.5", and 2.0" (or higher in some cases). You'll want to check the length of your brake/shifter cables to see if you have enough slack to compensate for the increase in bar height.
Hi James, thanks for the advice. While checking out potential riser bars, I've noticed that several of them are sold at varying lengths. I have a Nexus 8-speed twist grip shifter; do I need to be concerned about bar length, or can I just buy something on the longer side and have it cut down if needed? I am going to do the upgrade during one of my class sessions, so my LBS mechanic will be there to supervise this and the cable replacement, in case I screw anything up.

Edit 1: Nix my question about bar length -- you've already covered that. Thanks again!
Edit 2: Pricepoint.com is where I've been spending a lot of time looking. I'm a fan of options and all, but oy, what a selection!

The Swift is still treating me very well, and I'm glad I spent as much time as I did researching here before buying one from Peter.
Old 08-15-07, 10:41 AM
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cosmodc
Hi James, thanks for the advice. While checking out potential riser bars, I've noticed that several of them are sold at varying lengths. I have a Nexus 8-speed twist grip shifter; do I need to be concerned about bar length, or can I just buy something on the longer side and have it cut down if needed? I am going to do the upgrade during one of my class sessions, so my LBS mechanic will be there to supervise this and the cable replacement, in case I screw anything up.

Edit 1: Nix my question about bar length -- you've already covered that. Thanks again!
Edit 2: Pricepoint.com is where I've been spending a lot of time looking. I'm a fan of options and all, but oy, what a selection!

The Swift is still treating me very well, and I'm glad I spent as much time as I did researching here before buying one from Peter.
Just keep in mind that you won't be able to cut risers down as much as flat bars (because of the bend). What you can do is install the bar, then the brake levers (push them towards the stem until they meet resistance against the bend), then your gripshift. You can now lay the grip across the remaining length of exposed bar and measure (preferably twice), then cut. Cut the same length of remaining bar from the non-gripshift end. You might also want to take into account leeway for new grips. I know the stock SRAM grips are not standard MTB size, but not sure about your Nexus setup.
Old 08-19-07, 04:36 PM
flea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maunakea
flea, tighten your crank bolts.
Maunakea--thanks for the advice.

Tightening worked for about 100 miles and now the clunking has returned with a vengence. I've tightened it down more than before (40 foot lbs vs 30 foot lbs). Apparently there's a risk to overtightening if I believe some of the threads out there and I have no documentation with the bike to know what the torque should be. Any idea of the correct foot lbs for the crank bolt?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-07, 05:36 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
flea: Sounds like your one crank is toast. This will happen if a crank bolt was not tight enough and was ridden like that. The square hole wears out and no amount of tightening will get it right once it is worn. This is a new bike, right? Dealer must fix.
Old 08-19-07, 05:48 PM
flea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
flea: Sounds like your one crank is toast. This will happen if a crank bolt was not tight enough and was ridden like that. The square hole wears out and no amount of tightening will get it right once it is worn. This is a new bike, right? Dealer must fix.
Yeah, only 6 months old. A new Xootr Peter modified (dualdrive and new paint) for me. I'm surprised to have this happen after only 500 miles or so. I'm assuming regular serious hillclimbing exacerbated this but I'm still pretty shocked to hear that it would be in bad shape so soon. I guess I'll contact Peter and see what he says. Not what I wanted to hear as I really hate to stop riding at this point while I wait for it to be fixed
Old 08-19-07, 10:20 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's not a question of something wearing out under normal processes - it is something that was not assembled correctly and damage resulted riding it that way. No way you could know that there was something wrong. Not saying it necessarily is the crank-bottom bracket interface but symptoms do point that way.
Old 08-20-07, 09:04 AM
flea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
It's not a question of something wearing out under normal processes - it is something that was not assembled correctly and damage resulted riding it that way. No way you could know that there was something wrong. Not saying it necessarily is the crank-bottom bracket interface but symptoms do point that way.
Thanks, Jur. Yeah, I understand--looking through all the forums I agree the symptoms are most likely there. We'll see what Peter has to say. Now the long wait--this was my one functional bike!
Old 08-21-07, 12:01 PM
hulagun

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need chain tug and brake lever advice...

Hey, James et al-

I've been lurking awhile because not riding much. Long story - but in the last 6 weeks I've had knee surgery, an emergency room visit, and set two Bonneville land speed records (motorcycle). Phew!

But the best news is my fixed wheel set is 99% done. Surly large flange hubs. Sun CR168 rims. All silver. I just need to pick up a lock ring and new inner tubes, and fit my new Nitto handlebars and my Swift will be a Swixie!

Need some advice... I want to run a chain tug... what's a good one, and where can I get it without ordering it from the UK?

Also, I plan to run the stock Xootr front brake. Want to replace the Xootr lever with a more elegant-looking lever, preferably with a very narrow bar clamp like a Deore V-brake lever. I want it in silver, not all black. Any recommendations???

Lastly, I need a 100mm (10-degree or so) stem in silver alloy... I bought one on ebay but its temporary, I want to find a hollow welded version if anyone knows of a source. I have a beautiful 130mm one but its too long! So if anyone needs one like this lemme know...

Ivan
Old 08-21-07, 12:44 PM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hulagun
Hey, James et al-

I've been lurking awhile because not riding much. Long story - but in the last 6 weeks I've had knee surgery, an emergency room visit, and set two Bonneville land speed records (motorcycle). Phew!

But the best news is my fixed wheel set is 99% done. Surly large flange hubs. Sun CR168 rims. All silver. I just need to pick up a lock ring and new inner tubes, and fit my new Nitto handlebars and my Swift will be a Swixie!

Need some advice... I want to run a chain tug... what's a good one, and where can I get it without ordering it from the UK?

Also, I plan to run the stock Xootr front brake. Want to replace the Xootr lever with a more elegant-looking lever, preferably with a very narrow bar clamp like a Deore V-brake lever. I want it in silver, not all black. Any recommendations???

Lastly, I need a 100mm (10-degree or so) stem in silver alloy... I bought one on ebay but its temporary, I want to find a hollow welded version if anyone knows of a source. I have a beautiful 130mm one but its too long! So if anyone needs one like this lemme know...

Ivan
In the Swift Gallery thread, I have a pic of my Surly chaintug. It's more expensive and heavier than the aluminum BMX chaintugs, but it looks cool and matches my Surly rear hub. If you want to go cheap, here is a BMX chaintug that works really well on the Swift (you can get it in silver).

What model Nitto bars do you have? The reason why I ask is because most V-brake levers won't fit even the 25.4 Nitto bars without grinding/prying the brake lever mount (I broke my Deore lever trying to do just that on my 25.4 Nitto B105 bars).

While on this subject, I'm getting a set of canti brakes to replace the V-brakes on my Swift so that I can use my bar-end TT brake levers (on my bullhorns) and cross-lever (on my drops) without having to use a travel agent and/or to deal with the lever-to-brake leverage mismatch. Pics to follow.

The Xootr Swift accessories page has a 100mm silver stem (25.4mm).
Old 08-22-07, 06:23 PM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pics of my new cantilever brakes installed: (Nashbar Deluxe canti brakes and cable hanger)

Ride report to follow.
Old 08-22-07, 07:04 PM
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics of my new cantilever brakes installed: (Nashbar Deluxe canti brakes and cable hanger)

Ride report to follow.
when will the madness end James????
Old 08-22-07, 10:06 PM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kb5ql
when will the madness end James????
The only things left stock on my Swift are the stempost/seatpost, seatpost QRs, and headset (that's next to go).

It's why I chose the Swift in the first place....so that I'm free to connect with the mad-scientist in me.

Oh yeah, I have a Tranz-x zero-drop bullhorn handlebar on order (for a more useable flat bar top instead of the sloping bar top of the Nashbar one I have on now).

Last edited by james_swift; 08-22-07 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-22-07, 10:36 PM
mosquito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa I was going to do the exact same thing the canti brakes. With the V brakes/diacompe setup i have now, the cable gets in the way at the front, intruding with a front rack I'm about to install. By the way, I read that V brakes have more stopping power than cantis, which is why I went with them in the first place. How does it compare with your former V's?

I also got a Delta Postporter quick release rack with a plastic basket zip tied to it. I can't believe I went so long without a basket! It's so convenient! No more bungee cords or sweaty back.

Also getting freddy fenders next. The apex fenders I have now do not get rid of enough road spray. I read xootr's tip on ziptie-ing them to the bike, but where would I zip tie them?
Old 08-23-07, 10:20 AM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mosquito
By the way, I read that V brakes have more stopping power than cantis, which is why I went with them in the first place. How does it compare with your former V's?
The first thing I noticed (and looked forward to) in comparison with my Avid SD-5 V-brakes was their silent operation: no squeal, no squeak. Yes! Even with their cheap cartridge pads, they stopped silently at all speeds. With the Kool Stop Salmon pads on my V-brakes, they squealed at low speeds and under hard braking. Annoying as hell. The cantis are smooth and silent.

As for braking power, they remind me a lot of my old Shimano 105 caliper brakes. In fact, the cantis work and feel just like road brakes. Although they don't have the sheer clamping power of Vs, the action and modulation of the cantis (like road brakes) is smooth and predictable. They work perfectly for "feathering", in situations where you need to make only slight adjustments to your speed such as cornering or riding in a group.

These Nashbar brakes (which look suspiciously a lot like re-branded Tektro Oryx brakes) have come a long way since the cantis on my '90 Specialized Rockhopper. They were really easy to set-up. They use standard threaded replaceable cartridge V-brake pads. The yoke has a clever alignment indicator and a guide housing for the brake cable.

I like the look of cantis on the Swift...kinda retro.
Old 08-24-07, 11:53 AM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is what "Butterfly bars look like on a Swift. They are very comfortable and coupled to an adjustable stem give a huge variety of positions. No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!

Last edited by Paul Braithwait; 08-24-07 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 01:33 PM
levity
robot ninja monkey yogi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I have a Tranz-x zero-drop bullhorn handlebar on order (for a more useable flat bar top instead of the sloping bar top of the Nashbar one I have on now).
i replaced my flat nitto bullhorns with sloping ones after the former got bent in a crash, and you know, i kind of like putting my hands on that bump where the slope begins.
Old 08-24-07, 02:25 PM
hulagun

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now a dumb inner tube question....

In the Swift Gallery thread, I have a pic of my Surly chaintug. It's more expensive and heavier than the aluminum BMX chaintugs, but it looks cool and matches my Surly rear hub.

What model Nitto bars do you have? The reason why I ask is because most V-brake levers won't fit even the 25.4 Nitto bars without grinding/prying the brake lever mount (I broke my Deore lever trying to do just that on my 25.4 Nitto B105 bars).
James et al-

Thanks for the chain tug info.

I'm unsure which Nitto bars exactly I have, they resemble Dove bars but are not as wide. I specifically wanted a narrow riser bar in alloy, and my friend had these lying around used for $20. I'm running them flopped. Might be these? https://store.somafab.com/nib3allro.html

The standard Xootr lever fits fine, but I just don't care for how it's big fat clamp creases my hand while riding.

I also found a beautiful 100mm welded alloy stem on ebay for $5.

Right now the big question is whether I should run Presta or Schrader tubes? My CR18 rims seem to be drilled for Schrader but the holes are a really tight fit. The holes seem too big for Schraders so am I missing something? Do I open the holes up a bit or is there a Presta adapter for the holes I need to get?

Any non-obvious pros or cons to one type of valve vs the other? I will be running Schwalbe Marathon (Racer?) 1.50 tires at the highest pressure that rides well.

Last edited by hulagun; 08-24-07 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 02:33 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I used schrader for awhile, just switched to presta kinda by accident. I don't see any difference, there certainly isn't any performance or pressure difference.
Old 08-25-07, 07:24 AM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait
No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!
I think Paul is referring to my handlebar madness:

My new TranzX bullhorns (slightly modified by removing 2cm of length from the ends). This latest incarnation of my Swift is what I call the answer to all those who question the ability to sprint/climb out of the saddle on a folding bike.
Old 08-26-07, 04:49 PM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As for braking power, they remind me a lot of my old Shimano 105 caliper brakes. In fact, the cantis work and feel just like road brakes. Although they don't have the sheer clamping power of Vs, the action and modulation of the cantis (like road brakes) is smooth and predictable. They work perfectly for "feathering", in situations where you need to make only slight adjustments to your speed such as cornering or riding in a group.
Edit: I installed my Kool Stop salmon pads on the cantis, but this time I swapped-out the washers on the brake pad studs so that the pads are pushed out a few millimeters further from the cantilever arms (increasing the cantilever angle). Massive difference in braking power! Just a minor adjustment has transformed these brakes from a road-bike caliper feel to an entirely different beast. Better than the V-brakes ever worked on this bike. Only a small amount of input at the lever is required to effectively bring the bike to a halt. Great for riding in tight traffic. Now I see why a lot of cyclocross bikes still come with cantilever brakes.

Last edited by james_swift; 08-26-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 07:05 PM
mosquito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit: I installed my Kool Stop salmon pads on the cantis, but this time I swapped-out the washers on the brake pad studs so that the pads are pushed out a few millimeters further from the cantilever arms (increasing the cantilever angle). Massive difference in braking power! Just a minor adjustment has transformed these brakes from a road-bike caliper feel to an entirely different beast. Better than the V-brakes ever worked on this bike. Only a small amount of input at the lever is required to effectively bring the bike to a halt. Great for riding in tight traffic. Now I see why a lot of cyclocross bikes still come with cantilever brakes.

That's awesome! Going to order canti's asap. One more question though: Do the cantis have more or less clearance for fenders compared to V brakes?
Old 08-26-07, 08:41 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah the geometry on canti's is enormously important. You can have a crappy performance or a super-power stopping power performance, depending on how close the bridge is to the wheel.

As the pads wear, the power will diminish. With the older type cantis with smooth stud you can adjust throughout their life. But I prefer the type you have - less hassle.

I like the black bar tape better.
Old 08-26-07, 09:26 PM
mosquito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
James, I just noticed that you have two brake levers, but only one brake. Are they both for the front brake? I thought about how cool it would be to have that, but I didn't think it was possible.
Old 08-26-07, 10:57 PM
james_swift

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mosquito
James, I just noticed that you have two brake levers, but only one brake. Are they both for the front brake? I thought about how cool it would be to have that, but I didn't think it was possible.
Yeah, I have 2 cross levers pulling one cable to the front brake. Trick-looking and works seamlessly. Just make sure you measure your brake cable twice (and cut once).

I get a bit more clearance with the cantis than the V-brakes (fenders would rub against the V-brake cable).
Old 08-27-07, 07:30 PM
pismocycleguy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait
This is what "Butterfly bars look like on a Swift. They are very comfortable and coupled to an adjustable stem give a huge variety of positions. No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!

Paul;
What is the width of your butterfly bars? Are they wider, narrower, or the same width as the stock Swift bars? They look nice, can utilize the v-brake levers and sram shifting gear, and give you multiple hand positions.
Thanks
PCG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.