Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Rowan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 01:51 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while - the last BF upgrade isn't working all that well on my computer (or maybe its just me who doesn't get it?). Anyway, glad to hear he's progressing.

The Catrike: My neighbor has multiple sclerosis which progressed to the point he couldn't go jogging anymore, and his balance is off, so he bought a Catrike for really cheap. I've gone out with him a few times on a local MUP and he seems to do quite well on it. He initially bauked at my advice to go out early in the morning (like even before sunrise when the eastern sky starts getting light), but found it to be best since that's when the MUP is the least occupied (and he doesn't have to be concerned with the wide stance of the Catrike). He let me try the Catrike, but I'd prefer a two-wheeled recumbent (maybe a Raans) rather than the 3-wheel.
Old 06-05-18, 11:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I haven't checked in on this thread in quite a while - the last BF upgrade isn't working all that well on my computer (or maybe its just me who doesn't get it?). Anyway, glad to hear he's progressing.

The Catrike: My neighbor has multiple sclerosis which progressed to the point he couldn't go jogging anymore, and his balance is off, so he bought a Catrike for really cheap. I've gone out with him a few times on a local MUP and he seems to do quite well on it. He initially bauked at my advice to go out early in the morning (like even before sunrise when the eastern sky starts getting light), but found it to be best since that's when the MUP is the least occupied (and he doesn't have to be concerned with the wide stance of the Catrike). He let me try the Catrike, but I'd prefer a two-wheeled recumbent (maybe a Raans) rather than the 3-wheel.
1. Which operating system are you using? I have several Win 7 and Win 10 computers, and no real issues with the new BF format on any of them.
2. I think the late, great Sheldon Brown used a Tadpole 3-wheel recumbent as his MS progressed. Horrid disease -- my mother had it and died at age 66, which was 30 years younger than her mother and grandmothers, and 22 years younger than her father and at least one of her grandfathers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-05-18, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

Bike Forums has gone a little over the top with external scripts. I ended up downgrading just as they upgraded, so Bike Forums will barely run without blocking external scripts (except cimg3.ibsrv.net that needs to be allowed for the new photos to work). I don't get many editing options, but most everything else works (other than having Bike Forum headers/footers wiping out half of my screen).

I did pick up the trike mentioned above. I'll play around with it a bit, then will probably make it available to someone who needs it.

It looks like it can be disassembled and packed reasonably well. However, it is currently configured for someone around 6'. It would need some adjusting for someone significantly shorter (or taller). It only bakes on the front wheels with independent brakes.
Old 06-05-18, 07:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A very interesting article showed up in my newsfeed today ...

https://www.brainline.org/blog/getti...ou-should-care

A quote from the article:

"Certain types of physical exercise have been shown to markedly (threefold) increase BDNF synthesis in the human brain, a phenomenon which is partly responsible for exercise-induced neurogenesis and improvements in cognitive function.

A three hundred percent increase in a protein known to help the brain recover is something to look at quite seriously. Neurogenesis is a simple concept. It is the growth of new brain cells.

Think about this for a moment: engaging in regular physical activity produces a chemical that is proven to stimulate new brain cell growth. This vital chemical keeps brain circuits running smoothly and is increased threefold by regular exercise. I call this nothing short of remarkable.

The good news is that you don’t need to be a daily cyclist to get this benefit. Shared by the doctor who presented at our group, thirty minutes of exercise, three times a week, will release BDNF’s and speed the neuro healing process."

Meanwhile, Rowan's internal "IT guys" are still busy reconnecting the servers while we wait for more testing with regard to his back/leg and vision.
Old 06-05-18, 07:36 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

A quote from the article:

"Certain types of physical exercise have been shown to markedly (threefold) increase BDNF synthesis in the human brain, a phenomenon which is partly responsible for exercise-induced neurogenesis and improvements in cognitive function.

A three hundred percent increase in a protein known to help the brain recover is something to look at quite seriously. Neurogenesis is a simple concept. It is the growth of new brain cells.

Think about this for a moment: engaging in regular physical activity produces a chemical that is proven to stimulate new brain cell growth. This vital chemical keeps brain circuits running smoothly and is increased threefold by regular exercise. I call this nothing short of remarkable.

The good news is that you don’t need to be a daily cyclist to get this benefit. Shared by the doctor who presented at our group, thirty minutes of exercise, three times a week, will release BDNF’s and speed the neuro healing process."

Meanwhile, Rowan's internal "IT guys" are still busy reconnecting the servers while we wait for more testing with regard to his back/leg and vision.
That must be encouraging. It's amazing. Wishing you the best possible outcome, and quickly too. I think the fitness you both already had from cycling and walking is a big help.
Old 06-06-18, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
So. Rowan should post his story in BF. I have been following this thread and would enjoy hearing from him if using the computer would help him.

Prayers from Alabama
Old 06-06-18, 09:14 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts

I have been thinking about that news story wrt Rowan since his thing happened but haven't looked for links. Cycling also good for Parkinson's patients. Good to stay on the exercise bike, good to rewire the brain!
Old 06-06-18, 05:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 700
So. Rowan should post his story in BF. I have been following this thread and would enjoy hearing from him if using the computer would help him.

Prayers from Alabama

Rowan doesn't remember the accident.
Post-accident, he has some memories of about the last 3 weeks (it has been 11 weeks since the accident).
Pre-accident, his memories are patchy.
He has only just started using the computer in one of his rehab sessions a little bit.

At this point, I think attempting to tell his story would just be upsetting ... largely because he can't remember a lot of it. An accident like this and the following recovery can be a lot to deal with.

But maybe later.
Old 06-06-18, 07:23 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Post-accident, he has some memories of about the last 3 weeks (it has been 11 weeks since the accident).
Pre-accident, his memories are patchy.
He has only just started using the computer in one of his rehab sessions a little bit.

At this point, I think attempting to tell his story would just be upsetting ... largely because he can't remember a lot of it. An accident like this and the following recovery can be a lot to deal with.

But maybe later.

That said, I have told him about this thread and about the kind and thoughtful comments here and he says, "Thank you" and hopes that one day he might be able to come here and thank you all himself.
Old 06-06-18, 09:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
That said, I have told him about this thread and about the kind and thoughtful comments here and he says, "Thank you" and hopes that one day he might be able to come here and thank you all himself.
We'll all be looking forward to that!
Old 06-07-18, 08:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
That might be a good thing - in my case, I was hit from behind by a drunk driver, passed out for a few minutes and don't have any memories about the actual hit. While my accident was nowhere as serious as Rowan's, I think not remembering about it allowed me to continue cycling without fears.
Old 06-08-18, 03:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It appears that Rowan has a damaged optical nerve. Fortunately, it should resolve itself eventually, but it means no driving or cycling outside or anything like that for at least 3 months. He'll be going for another set of tests in 3 months to see how things are going then.

As I've mentioned, it is winter here so we wouldn't likely be cycling outside anyway for a while.
Old 06-08-18, 03:26 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Thanks for the updates Machka. We appreciate hearing about Rowan’s progress.

Sending positive thoughts your way.
Old 06-08-18, 03:27 AM
CliffordK

As I've mentioned, it is winter here so we wouldn't likely be cycling outside anyway for a while.
Didn't you say it was a balmy 50 degrees out? Perfect cycling weather

I thought you were from Canada where every goes out riding when it is minus 30
Old 06-08-18, 05:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Didn't you say it was a balmy 50 degrees out? Perfect cycling weather

I thought you were from Canada where every goes out riding when it is minus 30
It ranges between about -2C and as high as 15C here in winter ... but if it is going up to 15C, that'll happen for about 10 minutes at 3 pm and then it'll cool right off again.

Winter is also a time for lots of rain, wind, frost, ice, and sometimes snow.

It's often 8C with a "feels like" temperature of -5.6C (or something similar) because of a roaring wind.

So yes, when we're healthy and well, we will ride outside on weekends, in the middle of the afternoon (unless it is bucketing down rain or extra frosty/icy or something). But we don't usually ride outside in the evenings in winter here ... tackling steep hills in the pitch black with rain and wind and a "feels like" temp of something below freezing is just not nice. <<shudder>>

Indoor trainers are great ... especially set up in front of a computer and/or TV for entertainment.
Old 06-08-18, 06:48 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
OMG, how did I miss all of this? Machka, so sorry to hear about Rowan's accident but glad to see he's on his way now to recovery. I'll be thinking about you guys and hoping for the best.

Jim
Old 06-09-18, 12:29 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Rowan seems to be following the trend my brother experienced after a fall off a ladder ~12 feet, very prolonged hospital stay, recovery over months
but by a year out he was back to 90-95% of pre-injury mental function and resumed work selling aircraft parts on the net. His hospital course
paralleled Rowans. My brother is a little more concrete in his thinking than before but in casual contact you would never know. Looks like Rowan's
outlook is positive long term. I wonder if the visual thing is more optic cortex than optic nerve, as cortex is more plastic than cranial nerves generally.

Re your comment about the weather, I had to giggle a bit, recalling your 100-200 mile rides in Canada at temps in the 11-17F range when you were
a randoneer enthusiast 25 or so yrs ago.
Old 06-09-18, 06:42 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
1. Which operating system are you using? I have several Win 7 and Win 10 computers, and no real issues with the new BF format on any of them.
2. I think the late, great Sheldon Brown used a Tadpole 3-wheel recumbent as his MS progressed. Horrid disease -- my mother had it and died at age 66, which was 30 years younger than her mother and grandmothers, and 22 years younger than her father and at least one of her grandfathers.
I'm using Windows 10. It seems to have a lot of junky software that either tries to direct you to Microsoft-specific applications, or adds crap like lots of pretty pictures and apps that try to predict what you want to do. And Bikdeforums doesn't let me post anything as big as a YouTube video without logging me out (time-out?) before the post gets uploaded. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off all this crap; no instructions come with software so I just stop using some programs or limit my time on them.

MS: yeah, pretty tough when you're slowly loosing your ability to function. So far my neighbor is still able to walk and get around, but the progression of MS degradation tends to come in sudden spurts. He's been shipped tot he hospital twice

No instructions come with software, so if I can't figure out how to stop something I just stop using the software.
Old 06-09-18, 08:10 PM
CliffordK

I'm using Windows 10. It seems to have a lot of junky software that either tries to direct you to Microsoft-specific applications, or adds crap like lots of pretty pictures...
I'm replying with a PM.

Let's put additional comments on forum issues into the subforum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/

And we can keep this thread for updates with respect to Rowan, and wellwishing for @Machka
Old 06-10-18, 03:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by CliffordK
And we can keep this thread for updates with respect to Rowan, and wellwishing for @Machka
Thanks.

It's been nice out, so yesterday and today Rowan and I walked slowly for about 1.6 km each day, but with about a half-hour break in the middle of each walk.
Old 06-16-18, 04:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

12 weeks & 3 days.

Rowan is still in the Rehab Unit, but we are starting to discuss a return to home. It's a multi-step process.

BTW - If you're wondering whether Rowan can remember the accident. The answer is no. Evidently, quite often in situations like this, the brain stops recording memories for a period of time. Plus he was placed into an induced coma shortly after the accident.

This article explains some of why a person can't remember their accidents.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...them-21942918/

At this point, he remembers some of February, and possibly little bits into early March. So far, there's no indication of any memory in the approx. 2 weeks leading up to the accident.

After the accident, his memories start when he was coming out of Post Traumatic Amnesia about 5 weeks ago. Those memories are a little muddled, but he can describe enough that I know where and when.

However, he has been told what we know about the accident ... which isn't a lot.

As for other memories, old and new, still rather patchy. But it can take a while.
Old 06-16-18, 10:35 AM
CliffordK

I'm glad to hear of the progress. It has been a long road for both of you... and still quite a bit left in the future.

Transitioning home, or into Daycare will be a HUGE step.
Old 06-16-18, 09:05 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Continued positive thoughts, Machka. I check in on a regular basis, but don't chime in often. That doesn't change the fact that you two are in my thoughts.
Old 06-16-18, 09:26 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't posted often, but I've followed your updates, and I'm glad to hear of Rowen's progress. Best wishes to you both.
Old 06-17-18, 07:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Here's to continued success is Rowan's recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.