Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

9150 controlling 9070?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

9150 controlling 9070?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 05:01 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Bump, because I totally deserve more mad props for this
Old 06-16-21, 02:32 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Also jammed 12/14t in the 9070

Old 06-16-21, 06:00 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Haha yeah you do. Brilliant DIY mod! Nice work! I'm pretty brave myself when it comes to crazy mods like this, and I've been known to do odd things with motorcycles, but I think I'd draw the line at drilling into carbon

Also jammed 12/14t in the 9070
What are the pulleys you're running there? You mentioned in a thread I posted that changing DA 9100 pulleys to 9000 pulleys would solve my noisy drive chain problem, but if there are other options... Also, what cassette are you running?
Old 06-16-21, 06:53 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by Kabuto
What are the pulleys you're running there? You mentioned in a thread I posted that changing DA 9100 pulleys to 9000 pulleys would solve my noisy drive chain problem, but if there are other options... Also, what cassette are you running?
That's just an Ultegra 12-25. The pulleys are narrow/wide numbers I found on eBay a couple of years ago, they're branded Stone. Had em in my Red RD with no modification, but i had to cut off one pin and carve up the other one in the DA cage.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 11-01-21, 04:48 PM
Kimmo

So I just scored another one of these LEs, in my size this time. I originally just bought this bike to strip and flip, getting almost the whole cost back when I sold the groupset, but it was such a nice bike I built it back up, and I've been looking for one in my size in the few years since. Finally found one!

​​​​I thought I was crazy lucky to score the first one for $600, but I feel no less lucky to find this one for a grand - the groupset is immaculate, barely any signs of use aside from a worn big ring, it's in amazing condition for a fifteen year old bike. Never been dropped or munched a chain. Reckon I might get $750 for the group, ordered new hoods for the levers. (Anyone after a VGC 7800 group, PM me).

So anyway, now I get to do all this again. Pretty happy with the last job I did, probably do it almost exactly the same, but I might make a vid with some actual production values this time, starting with the full bike, weighing it against the finished 9000 weapon and stuff... I realised the title of the vid I made last time was only half the possible clickbait value: Internal Di2 Retromod - Going the Hack on Another Rare $8500 TCR should get me more than a poxy 52 views.
Old 11-18-21, 06:07 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
You totally do! If I ever go Di2 on my current bike I would just route the shifter wires into the frame through the existing ports for the shifter cables at the sides of the down tube just behind the head tube. You are much braver and handier than I will ever be.

I realised the title of the vid I made last time was only half the possible clickbait value: Internal Di2 Retromod - Going the Hack on Another Rare $8500 TCR should get me more than a poxy 52 views.
Likewise for the title of this thread. Using just the Dura-Ace groupset numbers does not readily connote the magnitude of this project. Especially since some of us are unwilling to spend Dura-Ace money on our bikes! But this project can presumably be replicated using Ultegra Di2 components.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-18-21, 10:07 PM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Likewise for the title of this thread. Using just the Dura-Ace groupset numbers does not readily connote the magnitude of this project.
Yeah, I started the thread because of a dumb error plugging in the levers, then edited the title, but it just made a subheading with the new title 😐

I've gotta organise my garage at my new house before I get around to doing this again, so it'll probably be a few months, but there'll be another thread, with a proper title 😉

Last edited by Kimmo; 11-18-21 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-22-21, 10:57 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I appreciate what you did here! I'm trying to figure out how to avoid using a B-junction by just connecting 4 wires together. One reason - it would be easier to deal with the routing in a steel frame if I could avoid the junction box. The other reason is if I can make it work I can cut $27 di2 wires in half and need fewer wires. My first attempt was to solder 3 wires to one, giving me 4 ends. I made a red version and a black version. Then I paired those off and connected di2 wires to those, hooked everything up - and no luck.
I thought the B-junction was simply connecting all the reds and all the blacks together - is that not how they work?