Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar position questions ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar position questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 01:31 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I know this is in C & V so what I am about to say does not apply as much as it does to the general road riding population.

I find it ironic how many riders purchase equipment, bicycles and components based on what the pros on World Tour Teams are riding, yet set them up in some of these cockamamie positions that said pros would never use.

For smd4 and BMCKid, I don’t exempt modern bars and brake shift levers from the same horizontal parallel to the ground position we’ve been advocating. I see no reason to set them up any different from vintage stuff. My vintage Pinarello has Campagnolo Ergo 8 levers set up that way on Cinelli 66 bars and my carbon 1o speed Shimano equipped bike has them set the same way on ergo bend FSA bars (never did like compact bars or compact cranksets. Sold them both off).
Only speaking for myself but I set up modern shift/brake levers to be close to parallel to the top of the bars. Ergonomically, they work best for that way but I've seen some set them up much lower down, on the front of the curve. To each their own. Everyone should ultimately set up their bike so that it is comfortable and everything works as it should.

Here's my Zullo setup:
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-15-22, 06:03 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
For smd4 and BMCKid, I don’t exempt modern bars and brake shift levers from the same horizontal parallel to the ground position we’ve been advocating. I see no reason to set them up any different from vintage stuff.
The modern pros would agree with you:

Old 09-15-22, 06:12 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have explored a number of options and configurations. Probably not all. The driver is the ability to use as many hand positions as possible and still feel comfortable using the brakes.

Although I haven't thought about it, match period correct bars and levers make sense. Even then it can be a challenge.

WRT HB rotation, I like to have the flats nearly parallel to my back when using them. This points the bar ends somewhere between the brake and the axle, both of which are extreme. Having the flats parallel to the ground locates the upper portion of the bar to have a steep slope to the hoods. This might work if the TT/stem were quite short.

Since most of the bars in my garage are older and Cinelli's, the mounting of the levers is dependent on the bend. After fiddling around on placement, I find the recommendation for the tips of the levers to be no lower than the plane of teh flats on the drops to be best. This applies to both non-aero and Ergos.

Now I will have to examine and focus on the cockpit on all the bikes! Thanks guys!

But like saddle location, fore and aft, it is a continual search for the right spot.
Old 09-15-22, 06:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yeah yeah, blah blah blah....

But there sure seem to be A LOT of riders on this particular site who feel comfortable with setups that are so out of the ordinary it boggles the mind that they can actually be used without causing more injury. It's as if no one ever even tried to set up their bike conventionally.

How is it even possible that the levers on the bike below can be actuated from the drops without being a contortionist? The brakes are practically vertical. The elbows would need to be bent at an angle greater than 90 degrees. This certainly looks to me like it would cause more problems and pain than it could ever solve. Yes, the rider (our own PastorBob) says he rides the drops and can reach the brakes. Color me skeptical.

Thanks for at least giving my photo credit despite not asking me if it could be brought into your argument about how I must be an "(un)conventual... contortionist... (with) problems and pain...." Thank you for using me as your worst-case example of how not to set up your vintage Schwinn Super Sport.

You have really been , while thread hijacking. 1964Supersport asked about his handlebar setup to improve his comfort. By all means you can make suggestions about what works for you. It quickly became obvious that you prefer to set-up your bikes based on the set-ups on mid-eighties to mid-nineties professional peloton racers. But what grants you the right to criticize others?

However, you fail to take into account that an early 1960s Schwinn Super Sport, is, and will never be, a 1990 circa Eddie Merckx, built and kitted out for the Tour de France. Have you ever owned, ridden, or seen in person a 1960s Super Sport?

Or are you 65 or older, have a few orthopedic medical conditions, and possibly a few pounds heavier than the recommended BMI? But does any of this really matter? No, because you are not the OP. The OP eventually takes suggestions and determines what works best for him or herself.

Above: 1983 Lotus Super Pro Aero. Below: 1970 Schwinn Super Sport (I do ride both weekly)

Now, just to upset your sensibilities further--- feast your eyes upon the set-up of my Lotus! Gaze upon the position of my bars. Marvel at the placement of my levers. Cringe at how I must contort myself to reach and brake from the drops.

Now move along--- please!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-15-22, 07:33 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Here is where I ended up, I think it will be ok for me.
That's a very nice bike, surely for its age. A little change of the cable routing would make it perfect.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 09-15-22, 07:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I can post pictures of road racers from the internet, too.

You gotta wonder what Bartali and Coppi might say about all this.

Or the Herse team at the Poly de Chanteloup?

Levers pointed skyward indeed. Are we really gonna say René Herse was wrong to put the bars this way, on the winning bike that he custom made for his daughter and son-in-law for PBP? How about Routens? Or do you think they should have switched to hybrids?

Not just different strokes for different folks, but we're talking about different eras. Strictly speaking, the OP's Schwinn, with its slack geometry and unhooded levers, shares more DNA with the machines in the above examples from the '40s and '50s than it does with the '80s TDF riders. He should not be afraid to tilt the bars up some. It's normal for such a bike.
Old 09-15-22, 07:55 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
That's a very nice bike, surely for its age. A little change of the cable routing would make it perfect.
Yes...the star of this thread has got to be the bike. We need more photos of her, detail ones as well as overall. I mean, is there even a spot of rust on those chrome parts?

Take a bow, 1964Supersport.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-15-22, 08:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Thanks for at least giving my photo credit despite not asking me if it could be brought into your argument about how I must be an "(un)conventual... contortionist... (with) problems and pain...." Thank you for using me as your worst-case example of how not to set up your vintage Schwinn Super Sport.

You have really been , while thread hijacking. 1964Supersport asked about his handlebar setup to improve his comfort. By all means you can make suggestions about what works for you. It quickly became obvious that you prefer to set-up your bikes based on the set-ups on mid-eighties to mid-nineties professional peloton racers. But what grants you the right to criticize others?

However, you fail to take into account that an early 1960s Schwinn Super Sport, is, and will never be, a 1990 circa Eddie Merckx, built and kitted out for the Tour de France. Have you ever owned, ridden, or seen in person a 1960s Super Sport?

Or are you 65 or older, have a few orthopedic medical conditions, and possibly a few pounds heavier than the recommended BMI? But does any of this really matter? No, because you are not the OP. The OP eventually takes suggestions and determines what works best for him or herself.

Above: 1983 Lotus Super Pro Aero. Below: 1970 Schwinn Super Sport (I do ride both weekly)

Now, just to upset your sensibilities further--- feast your eyes upon the set-up of my Lotus! Gaze upon the position of my bars. Marvel at the placement of my levers. Cringe at how I must contort myself to reach and brake from the drops.

Now move along--- please!
I like the bar setup on the SS here, for me though I would push the levers forwards.

I, myself look at a bike and think "How do I want to use this bike?" Some I want to setup for distance.

She's going the distance...

She's built for speed...
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-15-22, 08:55 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
1964supersport, it looks like your Super Sport has been adjusted well and ready to give you many miles of healthy exercise. Where you and your bicycle are now may be the end of your bicycle improvement journey. Those things are designed to be indestructible so most likely - if you maintenance it properly - it will outlast you. It is possible you might get curious about getting a better bike (nothing wrong with yours) and if so you might try looking for a 21" Trek sport touring steel bike made before 1987. Or a Miyata. Then you would be going from a frame made out of heavy straight gauge tubing to one that has lighter double butted tubes. Those bikes are lighter but more importantly provides a nicer ride quality. And eventually you can arrive - if you have the money and ambition - to get a custom made frame. That is the world I live in now. Primarily I teach cycling enthusiasts how to make and paint their own custom frames. But before I die, I'll work on making my not-as-nice-as-yours 1965 Super Sport better as a remembrance to my dad and late teen years before I moved on.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-15-22, 10:56 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
You guys are all wrong. My way is the right way!
Old 09-15-22, 11:27 AM
1964Supersport

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Supersport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses !
Likes For 1964Supersport:
Old 09-16-22, 06:31 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
And this looks wrong, ergonomically inefficient, and uncomfortable to me. But I’d also guess we have different riding styles. Everyone’s equation is different — so to each their own.
For me that Cinelli cockpit/saddle arrangement would have been comfortable for short rides, if it was a 52 or 54 cm, and if we entered the Time Machine and went back 50 years. For me now I would want the top of the bars not more than 2 cm below the saddle top, since in that position going to the drops is comfortable. But I also need to spend most of a ride on the tops and hoods, so I want a nearly level drop and a nearly level top, like an old-fashioned Maes-style bar.

At the same time, I don’t think I’m well-suited to classic Italians any more. I like to move the saddle back from the BB to center my weight over the BB, and many Italian classics have seat tube angles 75 degrees back to 73. For my “geometry” I want more like 70 or 71 degrees, like the classic English Club-style bikes of the early 1950s, and some pre-1970 Peugeots. I was never a racer, but as many of my generation I regarded the refinement of road racing bikes as the pinnacle. I also prepared more for long rides than for fast.

As a cyclist solidly in the 50+++ cadre, I want to ride a lot and get better than I am now, but that requires bikes I can ride comfortably. I would think nothing of changing bars, stems, seat posts or saddles to dial in the fit of a bike with a frame that offers me what I think I need. And, maybe perfiection would be a custom.

For me, the idea that “it must be a good fit because it is just like the bike company designed it” is not useful to individual cyclists. It may be best for vintage satisfaction or collectible value, but those goals have nothing to do with comfort and long-term rideability, such as repeated 60 mile days..

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-16-22 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-16-22, 07:29 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,380 Times in 893 Posts
I’m all arms and torso

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-16-22, 07:55 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. I get that not everyone's the same, and everybody sets up their bike differently. Fine. I don't care how anybody sets up their bike. They can ride lying on their backs for all I care.

But there sure seem to be A LOT of riders on this particular site who feel comfortable with setups that are so out of the ordinary it boggles the mind that they can actually be used without causing more injury. It's as if no one ever even tried to set up their bike conventionally.

How is it even possible that the levers on the bike below can be actuated from the drops without being a contortionist? The brakes are practically vertical. The elbows would need to be bent at an angle greater than 90 degrees. This certainly looks to me like it would cause more problems and pain than it could ever solve. Yes, the rider (our own PastorBob) says he rides the drops and can reach the brakes. Color me skeptical.
The highlighted statement is most likely not applicable to many of the participants here. I, PastorBob, and many others in this forum are into our retirement phases, and have been riding bikes at least intermittently since our teenage years - up to 55, maybe 65 years per person of riding and setting up our own bikes (I fall into the former category, not the latter!). I think very few of us instantly modified every new or newly acquired bike before riding it a while and allowing the true plusses and minuses to become apparent in practice. Theory is interesting and may be a source of new ideas in our searches for the best fit, but we know through sometimes painful experience that not everything new is personally worth trying, and that the “conventional” for 20-something racers or aspirational racers, does not itself represent an ideal which will work for others, if it in fact works in general for the cadre of younger folks.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-16-22, 08:05 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Road Fan
For me that Cinelli cockpit/saddle arrangement would have been comfortable for short rides, if it was a 52 or 54 cm, and if we entered the Time Machine and went back 50 years. For me now I would want the top of the bars not more than 2 cm below the saddle top, since in that position going to the drops is comfortable. But I also need to spend most of a ride on the tops and hoods, so I want a nearly level drop and a nearly level top, like an old-fashioned Maes-style bar.

At the same time, I don’t think I’m well-suited to classic Italians any more. I like to move the saddle back from the BB to center my weight over the BB, and many Italian classics have seat tube angles 75 degrees back to 73. For my “geometry” I want more like 70 or 71 degrees, like the classic English Club-style bikes of the early 1950s, and some pre-1970 Peugeots. I was never a racer, but as many of my generation I regarded the refinement of road racing bikes as the pinnacle. I also prepared more for long rides than for fast.

As a cyclist solidly in the 50+++ cadre, I want to ride a lot and get better than I am now, but that requires bikes I can ride comfortably. I would think nothing of changing bars, stems, seat posts or saddles to dial in the fit of a bike with a frame that offers me what I think I need...

For me, the idea that “it must be a good fit because it is just like the bike company designed it” is not useful to individual cyclists. It may be best for vintage satisfaction or collectible value, but those goals have nothing to do with comfort and long-term rideability, such as repeated 60 mile days..
You seem to recognize that certain bikes don't fit your current riding requirements. I disagree about modifying the bike as you suggest. I stated something very like this in a previous post that the mods deleted for reasons known only to them.

There comes a time when a thoroughbred "racing" bike won't be suited to older riders. As you state, comfort and long-term rideability may eventually be the goal. I am probably approaching this phase myself, eventually. But I don't plan on modifying a Cinelli to suit my needs. It's a racing bike, and anything I do won't change that. I'm not going to cock the bars towards the heavens; I'm not going to point my saddle to the ground; I'm not going to install bar-end shifters. I'm not going to buy a foot-long Nitto stem or 40mm wide tires. These are all shortcuts to avoid the inevitable. When I get to that point, there will be other, more viable options, like hybrids or, God forbid, e-bikes.
Old 09-16-22, 08:12 AM
smd4

the “conventional” for 20-something racers or aspirational racers, does not itself represent an ideal which will work for others, if it in fact works in general for the cadre of younger folks.
I'm 56.
Old 09-16-22, 08:18 AM
Road Fan

I'm 56.
Ok, but I think my point remains.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-16-22, 08:33 AM
Road Fan

You seem to recognize that certain bikes don't fit your current riding requirements. I disagree about modifying the bike as you suggest. I stated something very like this in a previous post that the mods deleted for reasons known only to them.

There comes a time when a thoroughbred "racing" bike won't be suited to older riders. As you state, comfort and long-term rideability may eventually be the goal. I am probably approaching this phase myself, eventually. But I don't plan on modifying a Cinelli to suit my needs. It's a racing bike, and anything I do won't change that. I'm not going to cock the bars towards the heavens; I'm not going to point my saddle to the ground; I'm not going to install bar-end shifters. I'm not going to buy a foot-long Nitto stem or 40mm wide tires. These are all shortcuts to avoid the inevitable. When I get to that point, there will be other, more viable options, like hybrids or, God forbid, e-bikes.
There’s no reason not to try to make a Cinelli or similar comfortable to suit, but I would be sad if any damage is done. I know that for me that approach does not work.

And I am not suggesting you do any of those things. I don’t do them either. But back in the day, racing bikes had frames which were well-suited to smooth out bumps due to light DB steel tubing, handle well, enable no-handing, and carry small to medium saddle bags, unless you’re Jobst Brandt who packed a large Carradice saddlebag on his light tubular-equipped all-road double-butted touring tool.

With touring, if one thinks it’s good for touring, it’s good for touring. Standards have nothing to do with it.
Old 09-16-22, 08:36 AM
Road Fan

Photographed a few days after I got it, all I added was the S-A saddle. Needed full over haul, now working on brake cables.

1984 (or so) Mondonico, Columbus tubing, tubulars, Campy 3x10.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-16-22, 09:01 AM
smd4

There’s no reason not to try to make a Cinelli or similar comfortable to suit, but I would be sad if any damage is done. I know that for me that approach does not work.
Yeah, I would never try to make the Cinelli "comfortable." It wasn't made for comfort. When I get to the point that I need "comfort," there will be other more-viable, less-costly options.

Other things I would never put on the Cinelli: A triple crank and long-cage derailleur.

Your Mondonico is gorgeous. I think we need more pictures.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-16-22, 09:14 AM
BMC_Kid 

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 157 Posts
I'm 56.
55 and here’s my newest ride and the one getting most miles these days.

Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 09-16-22, 09:23 AM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
1964supersport, it looks like your Super Sport has been adjusted well and ready to give you many miles of healthy exercise. Where you and your bicycle are now may be the end of your bicycle improvement journey. Those things are designed to be indestructible so most likely - if you maintenance it properly - it will outlast you. It is possible you might get curious about getting a better bike (nothing wrong with yours) and if so you might try looking for a 21" Trek sport touring steel bike made before 1987. Or a Miyata. Then you would be going from a frame made out of heavy straight gauge tubing to one that has lighter double butted tubes. Those bikes are lighter but more importantly provides a nicer ride quality. And eventually you can arrive - if you have the money and ambition - to get a custom made frame. That is the world I live in now. Primarily I teach cycling enthusiasts how to make and paint their own custom frames. But before I die, I'll work on making my not-as-nice-as-yours 1965 Super Sport better as a remembrance to my dad and late teen years before I moved on.
Speaking of weight I did happen to weigh my bike the other day, 27 lbs.
Old 09-16-22, 09:27 AM
1964Supersport

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I may very well want to get a second bike in the near future. For now I'm really enjoying old blue. It's like I reconnected with an old friend.
Likes For 1964Supersport:
Old 09-16-22, 09:33 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Speaking of weight I did happen to weigh my bike the other day, 27 lbs.
What it lacks in weight, it makes up for with style. In spades.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-17-22, 08:48 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

Ergo 8sp

105 10sp
Likes For gkamieneski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.