Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Building dream bike- Zipp NSW 404 or Enve SES 4.5?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Building dream bike- Zipp NSW 404 or Enve SES 4.5?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 11:15 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
DT240s do not have enough engagement. The Hope were quite loud but reliable and durable, though not finished as well as the Kings. if they are making road hubs, I think that is another good option.
I prefer WI hubs because of the Ti freehub body, and I agree with your comment on DT engagement points(but I think that can be upgraded).

Hope has a very solid reputation for quality of construction, but I haven't looked at the hub geometry. They definitely are competitively priced.

Hope Road Hubs | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 05-16-17, 11:22 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
The DTs can be upgraded but not enough to engage like a Chris King or Industry 9, and then they are not as robust. High engagement is really useful in rocky technical sections, for riders like me anyway. Some run the DTs happily. I have heard good things about WI hubs, though have never used them. Hope used to be huge in the MTB community in the early-mid 2000s. I'm not sure what happened to them but it seems like DT, Kings, I9s, and now even Onyx (to a degree) are popular. I think Industry Nine took that second-tier spot from Hope.
Old 05-16-17, 11:25 AM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's on my dream bike build, a Marinoni Sportivo Ti. I have a thing for titanium and dislike of carbon fibre. The Shamal's were a compromise, aluminium rims, stainless steel spokes but the hub is carbon fibre. And I wanted a wheel that I can try out tubeless tires. So far, so good.
Old 05-16-17, 11:45 AM
noodle soup

The DTs can be upgraded but not enough to engage like a Chris King or Industry 9, and then they are not as robust. High engagement is really useful in rocky technical sections, for riders like me anyway. Some run the DTs happily. I have heard good things about WI hubs, though have never used them. Hope used to be huge in the MTB community in the early-mid 2000s. I'm not sure what happened to them but it seems like DT, Kings, I9s, and now even Onyx (to a degree) are popular. I think Industry Nine took that second-tier spot from Hope.
You do realize that we are talking about hubs for a road bike, right? I don't find find myself in many "rocky technical sections" when road riding.

I've used King hubs on the road, and the engagement lag of other hubs is noticeable when swapping back and forth, but I've never found a need for instant engagement when road riding. On mountain bikes, the instant engagement is certainly useful.
Old 05-16-17, 12:08 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, I do. I was tying my experience with DT and Hope and CK hubs on both road and mountain, and I tend to start day-dreaming about rides and sort of forget which forum I'm on.

The engagement is not an issue on the road, though I did take my DT240-equipped Cross bike on a rocky singletrack once and did not miss the engagement much because I was too busy praying that my arms would not give way.
Old 05-16-17, 12:10 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I went with the NSW 404's that ended up with yes, bad hubs. The wheels flexed so badly, under moderate load, that I had to sent them back to Zipp who promptly replaced them. The new ones are awesome and a delight to ride. The NSW's ended up mounted on my Specialized Allez Sprint DSW with my Giant TCR SL getting a pair of Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers. BTW as good as the NSW's are, the Ultras are superior in every way with the exception of braking. Needless to say I'm happy with both wheelsets.

Do you happen to own a Noctilux 0.95..?
Old 05-16-17, 12:16 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Do you happen to own a Noctilux 0.95..?
I did until late last year when I sold all my Leica gear to purchase a Hasselblad H6D-60 body.
Old 05-16-17, 12:17 PM
noodle soup

The engagement is not an issue on the road, though I did take my DT240-equipped Cross bike on a rocky singletrack once and did not miss the engagement much because I was too busy praying that my arms would not give way.
Old 05-16-17, 12:21 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
I did until late last year when I sold all my Leica gear to purchase a Hasselblad H6D-60 body.
I just bought a noctilux and a leica SL (601) and both the new SL Lenses recently..
Old 05-16-17, 01:26 PM
robj4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with my Giant TCR SL getting a pair of Campy Bora Ultra 50 clinchers. BTW as good as the NSW's are, the Ultras are superior in every way with the exception of braking. Needless to say I'm happy with both wheelsets.
Off topic, but what did you think of the stock SLR wheels on your Giant?
Old 05-16-17, 01:33 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by robj4
Off topic, but what did you think of the stock SLR wheels on your Giant?
I only had one short ride on the SLR 1's before selling them locally. The wheels seemed excellent and if I owned a third road bike they would have a spot in the rotation.