Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
...So how bout it Irongents, pic it the way you ride IT.
Here *was* my '89 Ironman last week, subject to change this weekend. My endocrinologist told me a couple of weeks ago to take it easier until the thyroid meds take effect, which will be about another month. Naturally, being impatient, I ignored her. After three consecutive ride days Tuesday-Thursday, two on the Ironman and a 40 miler on gravel Thursday on the Univega, I could barely walk Friday and mostly napped all Saturday. I figure if I disassemble the Ironman that'll force me to rest for a couple of days.

1989 Centurion Ironman Expert -- last week. About to change. Again. Mostly original, except for the 50/39 Vuelta SE Plus chainrings, 13-25 SunRace chromed freewheel, and shorty 90mm stem. New Tacx sealed bearing pulleys fixed a dragging GPX rear derailleur -- less friction than the original sintered bushing bearings, only $13. Since January, new Continental Ultra Sport II, 700x23 in blue sidewalls -- only $12/ea via a brief Amazon sale. The Conti US2 700x25 I rode last year were still good, but I couldn't pass up the $12 price on the blue stripe 700x23. They feel about the same, but handle fast curves better than the x25s with those skinny Araya CTL-370 rims.

I'm about to swap out the original bar and try a Cinelli compact bar @texaspandj sent. And I already have some new cables and blue Jagwire housings to install. I've already replaced the shifter cables (and that little loop of blue cable housing around the rear derailleur, the only use of shifter cable housing on the entire bike -- unlike my Univega and Globe, which use a lot more cable housing for brakes and shifters).

And I have two sets of blue bar wrap ready to go. I think I'll use the Arundel Gecko for now, with the subtle black on dark blue lizard skin pattern. I don't remember the brand of black foam tape I used for the past year, but it was only $5 from Jenson USA -- some generic stuff that was really good quality and comfy.

I also need to replace the original Suntour brake pads. I kept 'em as long as possible because they look good -- subtle, not blocky, and looked good with the GPX aero calipers. They were virtually unused when I bought the bike in summer 2017, and had good grip for awhile after scuffing the glaze off the pads -- the rubber was still pliable under the crusty glaze from age. But after lots of outdoor rides scuffing the pad contact surface with files isn't restoring the grip. The last few rides I'm needing to brake sooner on fast downhills and can't lock up the wheels anymore. I'm guessing that after sitting in storage for 20+ years and lots of outdoor exposure to sun and ozone from traffic, the old rubber is finally showing its age. Thanks, @RobbieTunes and @TXsailor for the recommendations for replacement pads. I'll check REI or just order some online.

At the moment I'm using the Selle Italia Q-Bik saddle, instead of the Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio I rode all of 2018. I prefer the flatter, firmer SLS Kit Carbonio, but it wasn't comfortable with the aero bars -- leaning that far forward put too much pressure on the perineum, even with the nose titled down a bit. The Q-Bik is slightly curved, has a more padding, a small pressure relief cutout, and a flexible shell. With the nose tipped slightly downward it's comfortable without putting too much pressure on the hands, wrists and elbows. I've lost about 10 lbs the past year, including what little fat was padding my sit bones, so eventually I'll probably need a Flow type saddle with a larger perineum relief cutout.

Those cheap white plastic bottle holders came with the bike. One is a Trek, the other a no-name. They're lightweight and work well so I've kept 'em. I had to reinforce the bolt holes with an oversized washer to keep the bolt head from punching through the soft plastic.

The orange and black Serfas small Speed Bag holds a spare tube, a few tools, Lezyne self-stick patch kit in a little flat envelope, a couple of zip ties for repairs, KMC Missing Link II, and there's still room for other junk -- a small container with ibuprofen and antihistamines, asthma meds, my albuterol inhaler (hasn't given me Froome or Contador superpowers, alas), a couple of Clif mocha gels. Cygolite Hotshot on the bag loop -- the Hotshots are so lightweight with really good clips it's never popped off and doesn't sag much. I use the expandable medium Speed Bag on my Univega hybrid. Good bags, inexpensive with highly visible reflective strips.

I switch between a couple of mini-pumps, a Topeak RaceRocket HP, and a Blackburn Core Slim. I've used both several times on the road. The trick to mini-pumps is to use the bicep to pull the pump toward the torso, using the other hand to brace against the torso. Much stronger than pushing and using the weaker triceps, pecs and lats. I developed that technique after my right shoulder was broken and dislocated last year. I used my left arm bicep to do the hard work, just using my busted right arm to brace the pump.

The Blackburn, which is Presta only, usually lives on the Ironman. The Topeak is convertible for Presta and Schrader -- it usually goes on my hybrid. The Blackburn has more "leverage" with a longer tube, but the hard metal edges on the end caps are uncomfortable for getting maximum pressure in road tires -- I need to wrap my gloves around the end caps. But the Blackburn has a useful metal Presta core tool in the end cap, while the Topeak is useless soft plastic. The Topeak is a better design overall, and the longer version of the HP would be better than the Blackburn. Just little touches make a big difference in mini-pumps. I haven't gone to CO2 yet but probably will add one to the seat bag.

Cheap wireless computer, $12 via Amazon. It works. Usually matches my Strava and Wahoo Fitness phone data within a few nths. Good enough. But I need a sensor for the rear wheel to use on the trainer sessions. This wireless computer won't reach the rear wheel.

For a couple of weeks I tried those nifty classic Scott aero bars @texaspandj sent me, but my old and new neck/back/shoulder injuries won't cooperate. I need more physical therapy (waiting for an upcoming VA appointment to schedule me for PT).

I can manage up to 5 minutes in the aero bars on the indoor trainer, but that's with my head down whenever my neck got tired. On the road I could manage only about 30 seconds at a time. And the balance was a big challenge. On the indoor trainer I set up the front wheel level using a couple of books with slick covers, so the wheel would shift a bit when my balance was off. But it's not the same as actual road riding.

And I couldn't seem to get a good compromise between saddle and bar heights suitable for both the aero bar and drops. I'd need to raise the stem about 1/2" to 1", possibly go back to the Ironman's original 130mm stem (I can see now why the original stem was so long), and possibly raise the seat post just a bit.

But until my back, neck and shoulder are in better shape it's moot. I'd be chasing my tail trying to set up the bike. I think I'm gonna look for another Ironman or comparable bike and dedicate it to the indoor trainer, with the Scott aero bar. That would encourage me to keep working on it. I can tell after two weeks of trying that it would actually help strengthen my neck and upper back, but it'll take a few months.

Selle Italia Q-Bik, nose tipped slightly downward. Usually I prefer the firmer, flatter Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio, but the Q-Bik is good too. Just takes a different setup. Serfas small Speed Bag with Cygolite Hotshot on loop.

BTW, I did use padding on the Scott forearm rests. This was the day I took off the temporary pads and hadn't replaced them for photos.

The blue tape and black marker on the stem and seat post are reminders for former heights. I've been experimenting with a toe-down pedaling style, and raised the saddle to give it a try. I'm no Jacques Anquetil.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-16-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 08:55 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Son...that's how you write a post.
I wouldn't worry about the aero bars however... when you do... put some padding on the elbow rest, raise stem till you're completely comfortable in aero position, and finally angle aero bars upward til it's in your face almost like a down hill skier.
Having said that (<terminology I learned from bike forums) Don't use your aero bars yet. Get comfortable with your handlebars position, then when (and only when) you're comfortable with your new bar setup, push your saddle forward...just enough to where you're at a happy medium between road and aero position...Not that you asked for my opinion/experience.
Old 02-16-19, 09:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Son...that's how you write a post.
I wouldn't worry about the aero bars however... when you do... put some padding on the elbow rest, raise stem till you're completely comfortable in aero position, and finally angle aero bars upward til it's in your face almost like a down hill skier.
Having said that (<terminology I learned from bike forums) Don't use your aero bars yet. Get comfortable with your handlebars position, then when (and only when) you're comfortable with your new bar setup, push your saddle forward...just enough to where you're at a happy medium between road and aero position...Not that you asked for my opinion/experience.
That's good advice. You've used aero bars since Hector was a pup, so I'll take that advice.

I was getting more comfortable with them on each ride. The main obstacle, besides the aches and pains, has been the wind. I don't mind steady wind of 15-20 mph, but it's been gusty and swirly too. My favorite nearby training route really funnels that wind in some, ah... interesting ways. But the route has some places where I could get into the aero bar position for up to a mile at a time. My confidence grew with each practice session.

A fellow not far away has been offering a Diamondback Master TG and Trek 1000 Alpha, both my size, so I might grab one or the other and dedicate it to the Cycleops trainer with the Scott bar installed. That'll give me plenty of time to keep working on my conditioning. If I'm recalling correctly some folks have said the Diamondback Master frames weren't quite as light as the Ironman, so the Diamondback will make a good trainer bike. I'm not sure about the Trek. I know it's an aluminum frame and a decent entry level road bike. But other than the Ironman the only other road bike I've ridden in the past few years was a good used Specialized Tarmac. Huge difference, and way out of my price range. But fun to test ride.

BTW, I had used pads on the forearm rests. Just temporary -- those foam sheets of packing material, taped onto the rests. I had just removed them for the photos because the pads and masking tape were kinda ugly. I'm saving the good padding material you sent until I settle on a more permanent setup.
Old 02-17-19, 01:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Classtime posted this on the centurion serial number thread. Turns out a Centurion won the Hawaii Ironman in '82 too but it wasn't Dave Scott. https://recoveryourstride.blogspot.c...li-equipe.html
I got a kick out of this part of the story:
"
Linda Sweeney:
She only used two gears during the bike ride and had a basket on the front to keep her towel, her cassettes and her cassette player. White Punks on Dope was top of mind. From reading the materials, Linda Sweeney thought the Ironman course in Hawaii was totally flat. Not quite. It’s hard to believe it has been 30 years since Sweeney won her first- and only- Ironman race.

Like The Tubes, Linda Sweeney was way ahead of her time. White Punks on Dope -- the theme song of the 1990s Tour de France.

Old 02-17-19, 07:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Classtime posted this on the centurion serial number thread. Turns out a Centurion won the Hawaii Ironman in '82 too but it wasn't Dave Scott. https://recoveryourstride.blogspot.c...li-equipe.html
That's a great story. I wonder how aero the setup with the basket was? It must have been ok.

BTW, that story has a girl named Linda, on a bike, and inspirational music. Included are the Tubes, which were on The Fishin' Musician, (Canada) and White Men on Dope. That sound like a story that could be mentioned elsewhere. Just saying.
Old 02-17-19, 04:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah, the front basket anecdote got me. Reminds me of all the times some commuter who's default is beast mode has passed me. I'll be ticking along at a slightly more than comfortable pace on my Ironman or Univega, and this guy on a 30 lb steel touring bike with racks and panniers cruises by with a cheery "On your left", like it was nothing. Several times over the past couplafew years on the MUP. No idea who he is but I wish I had his legs and lungs.

My only consolation is he's maybe half my age. But still... it reminds me not to spend too much money on speed. Instead, spend money on a fountain of youth. Since PEDs are hard to find and afford, that narrows down "fountain of youth" to "next bike project."
Old 02-17-19, 08:28 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Here is a nice Purple Haze in 50cm , friendly price too . I'm digin' the saddle .

https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...814020352.html

Old 02-17-19, 08:33 PM
markwesti

This is kind of a hoot , read the ad .

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...819434037.html

Old 02-17-19, 09:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by markwesti
This is kind of a hoot , read the ad .

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...819434037.html

Heh! Makes sense. Ride a nice bike, make it look like crap nobody would want to steal.

My dad did that with a Mercedes in college in the early '60s. Although it's possible nobody would steal it anyway. He couldn't get engine parts to keep it running in original condition so he installed a Willys Jeep engine and drivetrain. Useless for long highway trips but a good stealth ATV for rough winters.

My solution for an errand bike is to use one that cost only $100 and would be easy to replace if it were stolen. It doesn't actually look bad. But it's so heavy it would discourage most thieves. With heavy duty puncture proof tires, rack, panniers and locks it weighs about 40 lbs, pretty much like a city rental bike. And the wheelbase is too long for the city bus racks. I suspect anyone who stole it would abandon it within a few days.
Old 02-17-19, 10:04 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Here is a nice Purple Haze in 50cm , friendly price too . I'm digin' the saddle .

https://ventura.craigslist.org/bik/d...814020352.html

Anything wrong with the rake on the fork?

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-19-19, 03:36 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
OK, here's the MV Ironman in current form, still w/temporary black bar tape but I feel fuscia coming. Components are mostly Sachs Huret 8s Ergo. (some courtesy of @RobbieTunes) The crankset required some, uh, we'll call them repairs.

I added some more 80's bling, with 600 triangular pedals and a pair of NOS Tricolor shoes complete with the correct SM-PD64 cleats.
I started out today practicing on the trainer. Not too bad clipping in and out once I figured it out, but I'll never ride this combo road fixed.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 02-19-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 04:04 PM
texaspandj

Very Cool setup.
Old 02-19-19, 06:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Anything wrong with the rake on the fork?
Yeah, that does look crashy after checking the other pics in that CL ad.
Old 02-20-19, 07:09 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, that does look crashy after checking the other pics in that CL ad.
Bahaha, Quote of the year (so far) on this thread.

Last edited by texaspandj; 02-20-19 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 09:47 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
OK, here's the MV Ironman in current form, still w/temporary black bar tape but I feel fuscia coming. Components are mostly Sachs Huret 8s Ergo. (some courtesy of @RobbieTunes) The crankset required some, uh, we'll call them repairs.
Had to be magic to fix that.

I added some more 80's bling, with 600 triangular pedals and a pair of NOS Tricolor shoes complete with the correct SM-PD64 cleats.
I started out today practicing on the trainer. Not too bad clipping in and out once I figured it out, but I'll never ride this combo road fixed.

Very, very cool. Show bike, for sure.
Old 02-20-19, 10:23 AM
texaspandj

Come on man, "Crashy" hilarious!
Sorry people's, but just every time I say it in my head I laugh out loud.
Old 02-20-19, 10:29 AM
seypat

Come on man, "Crashy" hilarious!
I thought it was funny, also. Canklecat can bring the zingers. Now if Deal4fuji could post the standup comedian with the drum accompaniment GIF, it would be complete.

Last edited by seypat; 02-20-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 01:12 PM
markwesti

Well here it is Tony , bummer not your size . I'm very tempted .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...823289611.html

Old 02-20-19, 07:41 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I thought it was funny, also. Canklecat can bring the zingers. Now if Deal4fuji could post the standup comedian with the drum accompaniment GIF, it would be complete.
You rang....

Old 02-20-19, 09:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Well here it is Tony , bummer not your size . I'm very tempted .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...823289611.html

Odd setup as shown (what's up with those brake levers?), but if the frame is good and most components are usable that could be a good project.
Old 02-20-19, 09:48 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
You rang....

There you go!
Old 02-21-19, 05:59 AM
texaspandj

Here's one for the collective minds. Obviously, for good or bad reasons, or for no reason at all, Centurion Ironman is the king of vintage "triathlon " bikes, but how many other bikes were touted or at least branded as triathlon bikes but we're in reality just road bikes? But name the model.
Peugeot triathlon.
Nishiki triA.
Pinarello triathlon victory.
fuji and Bridgestone had them but I don't remember the model name. My guess if searching, they're all from the early '80s. Also some things I guess were triathlon specific like trying to keep it aerodynamic and most bikies will say the geometry was different to make handling easier for wanbabe cyclist or maybe because it made riding 112 miles easier. Also too the quality and price was mid range
Today there are really triathlon specific bikes but man apparently price is no object.
Old 02-21-19, 06:46 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
Here's one for the collective minds. Obviously, for good or bad reasons, or for no reason at all, Centurion Ironman is the king of vintage "triathlon " bikes, but how many other bikes were touted or at least branded as triathlon bikes but we're in reality just road bikes? But name the model.
Peugeot triathlon.
Nishiki triA.
Pinarello triathlon victory.
Miyata 512 (and to a lesser extant 912) come to mind as well.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-21-19, 07:25 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
1987 Schwinn Circuit-- Aero seat stays and Flat black paint because it would look ok when tri athletes neglected to clean it. (According to Schwinn)
Old 02-21-19, 11:17 AM
markwesti

Here is a SPC , apparently they really hold their re sale value . Prolly because the bearings are sealed against contamination by moisture and dirt . Surely you know I jest actually they were vary nice bikes

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...809674955.html

Last edited by markwesti; 02-21-19 at 07:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.