Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 08:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
The local waste disposal site has a container with old beater bikes. I was thinking of going by on my day off to ask them if I could take one. Last time I checked they had a ladies model with one of those SA drum brake/derailleur cassette hubs. Not great for mountains but decent all-weather braking for city use.
Old 01-10-18, 11:10 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Just a brief rant. The S5 hub wasn't successful and it should have been. In one of those "what were they thinking" moments, Sturmey Archer decided to only offer them with these finicky, poorly made, ridiculously located frame mounted shifters when they already had perfectly suitable handlebar mounted trigger shifters whose design had been perfected since 1948 available. It would have been far easier to make 2 position triggers for the left side than to tool up for this new, flawed design. These hubs could have been a viable option on light roadsters for years to come. Instead, they have become an expensive rarity.Too bad really.
Old 01-10-18, 11:12 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
SA had patented 7 speed hubs as far back as the 1940s but Raleigh blocked their production. My suspicion is you can blame the shifter fiasco on Raleigh's bean counters as well.
Old 01-10-18, 11:15 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
For those who have done the 700c conversion, did you swap a whole wheelset or did you lace 700c rims to your 3-speed hubs?

Last edited by treebound; 01-10-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 12:20 PM
68sd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
finally able to upload a photo of my 1953 Eatons Commander

haha it worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
39615810031_b63c059885_z.jpg (140.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-10-18, 01:16 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Just a brief rant. The S5 hub wasn't successful and it should have been. In one of those "what were they thinking" moments, Sturmey Archer decided to only offer them with these finicky, poorly made, ridiculously located frame mounted shifters when they already had perfectly suitable handlebar mounted trigger shifters whose design had been perfected since 1948 available. It would have been far easier to make 2 position triggers for the left side than to tool up for this new, flawed design. These hubs could have been a viable option on light roadsters for years to come. Instead, they have become an expensive rarity.Too bad really.
I think it's not just the shifters, it was timing and lack of confidence on Raleigh/SA's part.

If they introduced the S5 hub in the beginning of the 60's vs at the end, it would have stood more of a chance. But by the end of the decade, the general public consensus was derailleurs were "better" than hub gears. Never mind that the range on the five speed hub would be pretty comparable to the ten speed derailleur setups of the time, but that was the perception.

And Raleigh didn't help by offering the hub and derailleur equipped Sprites side by side! Take a look at this 1969 catalog. If they didn't offer the derailleur as the option, people would have just bought the hub gear Sprite and Raleigh/SA would have to deal with the crappy shifter issue. (Though I have to admit, I am partial to that French-looking chainguard on the derailleur model. )
Old 01-10-18, 01:17 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 68sd
Very nice!
Old 01-10-18, 01:27 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts

haha it worked
I'm so glad you bought that. Here's it's big wheeled cousin, slightly older I think. It's only a 2 speed.

For those fans of 'This Hour has 22 Minutes' here's Mark Critch using it in a skit a couple of years ago. Shaun Majumber rode it as well.
Old 01-10-18, 01:32 PM
68sd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Herc was disposed of in a dumpster by someone along with this 1951 Raleigh Sports, when i went to pick up the Commander i was offered the Sports as well from the gentleman who owned the dumpster. they both should clean up nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FB_IMG_1515612565268.jpg (36.7 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by 68sd; 01-10-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 02:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
For those who have done the 700c conversion, did you swap a whole wheelset or did you lace 700c rims to your 3-speed hubs?
The main issue to resolve is that the most common vintage S-A hubs are 40-holes, and 40-hole 700c rims can be hard to find--not impossible as they were made for tandems. You can find 36-hole S-A hubs (even AW w/ alloy shell) as I believe they were stock on some Schwinn 3-speeds, but there far less plentiful than 40-hole.
Old 01-10-18, 02:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
The Herc was disposed of in a dumpster by someone along with this 1951 Raleigh Sports, when i went to pick up the Commander i was offered the Sports as well from the gentleman who owned the dumpster. they both should clean up nicely.

Big frame 51 Sports? You had an awesome day of bin-diving! Love to see good pics of both bikes someday.
Old 01-10-18, 02:13 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will pick up this 1961 finally at 7pm across town for $75

1961.jpg
Old 01-10-18, 02:15 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
Back in my shop days the lady boss wanted a guest bike built and wanted 700C wheels on it. I used Super Champ #58 rims (both 36H, as I recall) and they worked very well, fitting under the fenders very cleanly.

I recently found a Swiss-built Condor 3-speed at the local co-op and it has 700C Weinmann rims laced with DT spokes. Loved the bike but absolutely did not need it, so rationalized the modest purchase price by telling myself that the wheels would do nicely on my Raleigh Pro 3-speed project for a fraction of what it would have cost me to build the wheels from scratch. Since I'd never cannibalize the Condor for its wheels I'll be building wheels for the Pro anyway. See how neatly that worked out?

So, in answer to your question, yes.

Condor.
1_Profile.JPG

Last edited by thumpism; 01-10-18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 02:36 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy dropped down to $50

Old 01-10-18, 02:42 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
This guy dropped down to $50

Don't buy it unless he lets you pay more!!!
Old 01-10-18, 03:35 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Don't buy it unless he lets you pay more!!!
I really didn't want it after he sent me pics and it wasn't an S5 hub. I didn't realize thay offered an open gear option. Very clean though.
Old 01-10-18, 04:52 PM
BigChief

Originally Posted by clubman
Big frame 51 Sports? You had an awesome day of bin-diving! Love to see good pics of both bikes someday.
+1 Excellent find. Just the kind of project bikes I love to find. Yes, please keep us posted.
Old 01-10-18, 06:17 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
The local waste disposal site has a container with old beater bikes. I was thinking of going by on my day off to ask them if I could take one. Last time I checked they had a ladies model with one of those SA drum brake/derailleur cassette hubs. Not great for mountains but decent all-weather braking for city use.
I retired from a City waste disposal system of 400,000 pop. Every one & there mother sister & brothers will bring there large item trash to there the relative that lives in the city because suburbs charge about $50 per item and the city just picks up & processes these items seemingly at no cost. 1st ring suburbs combined w/city have a population of 2.5 million. I daily shopped this junk as it came in that is very satisfying thing to do. Bicycles only need to have the tires cut off the rims. A full rolloff dumpster only holds maybe $1500 to $2000 in mixed metal weight. One bicycle isn't worth a penny. Its refrigerators, stove, washers, dryers, microwaves, storm door, any appliance, or steel/metallic refuse is picked up free but not really as it is worked in to the billing of all.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 01-10-18 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 07:09 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The main issue to resolve is that the most common vintage S-A hubs are 40-holes, and 40-hole 700c rims can be hard to find--not impossible as they were made for tandems. You can find 36-hole S-A hubs (even AW w/ alloy shell) as I believe they were stock on some Schwinn 3-speeds, but there far less plentiful than 40-hole.
Around here the 36 hole is very common - the two 700C 3-speeds I have done I laced new rims to existing hubs. I think the common combo switched over from 32/40 to 36/36 in the late sixties/early seventies.
Old 01-10-18, 08:33 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
The growth of the automobile in Britain and the dominance of the automobile in the United States also hurt severely. In the post-war years, Raleigh, like many British firms, were pushing exports. The U.S. had a large potential market, but almost entirely for children's bikes. Only a small portion of the bikes sold in the U.S. right after WWII and into the 1950s were for adults. If you wanted to sell in quantity, children in America were the best audience (Schwinn certainly recognized that as well).

So we have a hub with real potential (the FW, and derivative 5-speed that eventually becomes the S5), and Sturmey moves on to the TCW because Americans (especially the kids) loved coaster brakes. The hub had generally well-made parts, but the design was done on the cheap - graft an undersized coaster brake onto a modified AW.

Then instead of pursuing the FW/S5 or 7-speed path, Sturmey came out with the supposedly cost-save SW hub, which was another poorly conceived thing. As great as the 1950s were for Sturmey manufacturing quality, they were not very good from a hub design and development standpoint. We all covet pristine 1950s AWs, FWs, Dynohubs, drum hubs, and the like, but really those were earlier designs.
Old 01-10-18, 10:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Tandems East lists several 700C 40 hole rims:

Tandems East Wheelsets, Rims and Hubs Rims
Old 01-11-18, 05:14 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Trash picking or dumpster diving in the town I live it in illegal, if they catch you they will fine you. However, if you pickup an item the night before or catch it while someone is carrying it out, there's not much they can do. You have to judge what and where you think you can get away with it. Bikes picked up by the trash truck weekly get tossed into the hopper and smashed like everything else, they sort it out later once its dumped I guess. I've watched them toss in furniture, bikes, mopeds, lawnmowers, you name it. If you get to know the guys collecting the trash, sometimes you can get them to save you good items, a six pack of beer from time to time will get you months of goodies. Then there's the scrap guys who prowl around every recycling day in the old beat up trucks, those guys seem to find the good stuff, but its hard to get one to not smash everything into a pile in their truck. I did trade a guy a bucket of empty aluminum cans for a half dozen nice garage shelves last month, and another guy brought me a garden tractor and two push mowers in exchange for some rusty iron I had outback. (He didn't have to strip tires off the iron or drain any oil to sell it). Both the tractor and mowers ran with a few minor repairs.

If I have scrap, I save it as trade bait. Its gotten me a few nice bikes over the years, including a Gitane Tour de France, a Motobecane Grand Jubile, and a few decent older three speeds. (They won't part with old Schwinns though for any amount for some reason).
Old 01-11-18, 05:26 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
I think it's not just the shifters, it was timing and lack of confidence on Raleigh/SA's part.

If they introduced the S5 hub in the beginning of the 60's vs at the end, it would have stood more of a chance. But by the end of the decade, the general public consensus was derailleurs were "better" than hub gears. Never mind that the range on the five speed hub would be pretty comparable to the ten speed derailleur setups of the time, but that was the perception.

And Raleigh didn't help by offering the hub and derailleur equipped Sprites side by side! Take a look at this 1969 catalog. If they didn't offer the derailleur as the option, people would have just bought the hub gear Sprite and Raleigh/SA would have to deal with the crappy shifter issue. (Though I have to admit, I am partial to that French-looking chainguard on the derailleur model. )
I didn't realize they built a derailleur shift bike in 26" either. I've had a few 27" 10 speed Sprites but they were newer. I don't think I've ever seen a 26" derailleur bike around here in person.
Old 01-11-18, 08:28 AM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Years ago I had a 5 speed Sprite with the original SA levers but they weren't on the top tube, they were mounted on the stem. The right lever had three distinct clicks, but it would stop in between gears if you weren't careful, so shifting wasn't like using a trigger where as you can't miss the gear. The left side was just a friction lever which would go hi to low, I seem to recall it too had a detent at either end of is travel too.

They didn't work well and I didn't keep the bike around for long. I did put a trigger on the drive side cable, and i used an old Simplex 5 speed friction lever for the left side, eventually moving that too up to the handle bars with a friction mtb thumb shifter. I got tired of guessing what gear the thing was in and sold or traded it for something else.
Old 01-11-18, 10:06 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by rustymetal
Years ago I had a 5 speed Sprite with the original SA levers but they weren't on the top tube, they were mounted on the stem. The right lever had three distinct clicks, but it would stop in between gears if you weren't careful, so shifting wasn't like using a trigger where as you can't miss the gear. The left side was just a friction lever which would go hi to low, I seem to recall it too had a detent at either end of is travel too.

They didn't work well and I didn't keep the bike around for long. I did put a trigger on the drive side cable, and i used an old Simplex 5 speed friction lever for the left side, eventually moving that too up to the handle bars with a friction mtb thumb shifter. I got tired of guessing what gear the thing was in and sold or traded it for something else.
I think of the S5 as two 3 speed hubs in one. With the bell crank disengaged, it's a medium ratio spread. Engage the bell crank and you have a super wide ratio spread. I never use 3rd in wide mode, but the granny first is very useful for me. 99% of my riding is done with the medium mode. It's perfect for flat country upright riding.

Last edited by BigChief; 01-11-18 at 10:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.