Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with women

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 02:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Makes one wonder how our parents ever met, fell in love, married, and had us. A friendly hello can be creepy to some, openly social to others.
I'm still trying to figure out how my wife ended up marrying me and staying with me for 22 years...

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 04-29-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-29-22, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can you show me, on this doll, where the "Me, Too" movement touched you?

He actually stated that both sexes are "doing dirt" to each other, so I don't even know what the double standard claim actually is.

Weird I can't find a chi square on dirt doing by gender of dirt doer and dirt doee.
Old 04-29-22, 02:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
You’ve got to be trolling
No. It's just that I find generalizing about genders tiring. Virtue signaling at its finest. Look at me, I'm on the correct side of history! Bleah.

I treat everyone on the roads the same. I engage if I'm engaged, otherwise I'm much like a recent poster: low social needs/requirements - I ride my own ride. But there's nothing wrong with others being outgoing, or acknowledging a person doing the same activity as themselves. Someone here posted that their wife would find it "creepy" if a passing male cyclist gave her a simple wave. Really? I think that says more about her than the man giving the wave. And yeah, I do it all the time, with both genders. Where's the issue?

While I realize I'm in the minority here, I don't really care. Not a stalker, know no stalkers, am not being stalked (currently). It's all good.

DD
Old 04-29-22, 03:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you seriously suggesting that men get hassled by women on the street as often as women do by men? That's too preposterous to even entertain.
It's the secretaries Administrative Assistants, hanging out in front of the office blocks, eating lunch that keep giving me catcalls and saying "Work it, Sweetcheeks!" and "Hey, Baby! I got something for you!" and "Yo, Papa! Why don't you give me a kiss!", while I walk doggedly by, keeping my eyes focused straight ahead. And then I hear them shouting "Stuck up P-word!" at me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-29-22, 03:01 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Are you seriously suggesting that men get hassled by women on the street as often as women do by men? That's too preposterous to even entertain.
Facts matter - not anecdotal evidence. Spouting the party line isn't going to get you anywhere with me.

DD
Old 04-29-22, 03:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm still trying to figure out how my wife ended up marrying me and staying with me for 22 years...
We're all trying to figure that out. Not our own wives, mind you. Just yours.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-29-22, 03:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can you show me, on this doll, where the "Me, Too" movement touched you?
Well, you go from zero to one hundred in an eye-blink, don't you?

Also, it's #MeToo - and has nothing to do with this conversation.

DD
Old 04-29-22, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
He actually stated that both sexes are "doing dirt" to each other, so I don't even know what the double standard claim actually is.

Weird I can't find a chi square on dirt doing by gender of dirt doer and dirt doee.
I'd have found his comment hilarious if not for the semi-recent events demonstrating that it's all too easy to get similarly delusional and disillusioned folks to do stupid, dangerous things in hopes of going back to "better" times.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-29-22, 03:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Well, you go from zero to one hundred in an eye-blink, don't you?
100w is for chumps - 800w is pretty routine when starting from a stop.

Also, it's #MeToo - and has nothing to do with this conversation.
Uh huh.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-29-22, 03:18 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I treat everyone on the roads the same. I engage if I'm engaged, otherwise I'm much like a recent poster: low social needs/requirements - I ride my own ride. But there's nothing wrong with others being outgoing, or acknowledging a person doing the same activity as themselves. Someone here posted that their wife would find it "creepy" if a passing male cyclist gave her a simple wave. Really? I think that says more about her than the man giving the wave. And yeah, I do it all the time, with both genders. Where's the issue?

While I realize I'm in the minority here, I don't really care. Not a stalker, know no stalkers, am not being stalked (currently). It's all good.

DD
most of this is reasonable, but you have to take into consideration that women face more danger from men than visa versa. That’s why I hesitate more before matching a woman’s pace than a mans, and am extra attentive to body language to know if I am unwanted. Also I haven’t given a woman an encouraging push up a hill or something if they are struggling to keep up, I’ve done that to guys but would hesitate before laying my hands on a woman. It’s about being respectful
Old 04-29-22, 03:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz

That’s why I hesitate more before matching a woman’s pace than a mans, and am extra attentive to body language to know if I am unwanted. Also I haven’t given a woman an encouraging push up a hill or something if they are struggling to keep up, I’ve done that to guys but would hesitate before laying my hands on a woman. It’s about being respectful.
I believe in boundaries, which is why I normally don't match pace with anyone. As I say, I ride my own ride; if I pass someone, I stay at my pace and keep going. If I'm passed, same. Male or female, makes no difference to me.

Now, I certainly don't put hands on a male or female without prior consent. Seriously, I would never consider doing an "encouraging push" - to me, it's a violation of their space, no matter the gender. I'll freely give an encouraging word, but no physical contact unless I personally know them and know they'd be okay with it.

As you noted, it's about being respectful.

DD
Old 04-29-22, 03:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Facts matter - not anecdotal evidence. Spouting the party line isn't going to get you anywhere with me.

DD

Show me a female-dominated incel group and we'll talk. What facts count?

Getting anywhere with you is not any aspiration of mine, you're obviously out to troll. It's just that you suck at it.
​​​​
​​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-22, 08:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Now days, one can never be quite sure of any gender. So I just keep my distance, but always say hi as I go by.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-29-22, 10:01 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Eight pages?

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera