Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 06:53 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Two different Raleigh Superbes on CL.

These two showed up this morning. The first is in nicer shape but costs almost twice what the second does. Both are 23" frames. Get yours now!

Vintage Mens Raleigh Superbe 3 speed Bicycle

Vintage Mens Raleigh Superbe 3 speed Bicycle - $375 (Richmond) hide this posting

Floyd Ave

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: Raleigh
model name / number: Superbe
size / dimensions: 23" or 58.5cm

Vintage men's Raleigh Superbe, very rare and collectable bike, hard to find English bike model, made in England back when they where still making them there, 100% original bike. Local pickup only and no checks or money orders, cash only.

Vintage RALEIGH SUPERBE Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Mens Bicycle

Vintage RALEIGH SUPERBE Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Mens Bicycle - $200 (Richmond@Forest Hill Park) hide this posting

west 33rd st at forest hill ave

condition: good

Good looking Raleigh Superbe three speed bike circa 1970

Made in England, all original, handsome for being 45 years young, or a great restoration project for the perfectionist/ re-seller.
No fair offer will be refused. Cash & Carry. Thanks.
Old 05-26-16, 08:58 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I'm going to try something I haven't done before. I'm going to restore one of those cheaply made original equipment saddle bags for my 64 Sports project bike. These were not made to last. I remember, even years and years ago, the cheap leather straps tended to get brittle and break. The body is made from leatherette glued to a canvas type material. The sides are reinforced with a thin, masonite type of material attached with poorly plated rivets. The front panel isn't reinforced at all and tends to sag in the middle. The 3 straps in the back are only threaded through loops so only need to be copied, but the lid straps are stitched on, so I'll need to cut the threads to remove them. The leatherette is in good condition and the buckles all look good and are reusable. I even bought a chrome pump for it so it has a bit more like the show room look. I wasn't originally, but I've decided to keep this bike. Hard to put into words, but it just appeals to me. I love riding it.
Old 05-26-16, 09:58 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
@BigChief, I had good success repairing a saddlebag like that by taking it to a shoe repair shop. They made new leather strips using the old buckles and I was down the road.
Old 05-26-16, 10:05 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I'm going to try something I haven't done before. I'm going to restore one of those cheaply made original equipment saddle bags for my 64 Sports project bike. These were not made to last. I remember, even years and years ago, the cheap leather straps tended to get brittle and break. The body is made from leatherette glued to a canvas type material. The sides are reinforced with a thin, masonite type of material attached with poorly plated rivets. The front panel isn't reinforced at all and tends to sag in the middle. The 3 straps in the back are only threaded through loops so only need to be copied, but the lid straps are stitched on, so I'll need to cut the threads to remove them. The leatherette is in good condition and the buckles all look good and are reusable. I even bought a chrome pump for it so it has a bit more like the show room look. I wasn't originally, but I've decided to keep this bike. Hard to put into words, but it just appeals to me. I love riding it.
Well, I guess if it's that "showroom" look you are after, that's the way to do it. Personally, if I'm going to ride a bike, I want it to be the best that I can make it - originality takes a back seat to function. But if you want to display a bike, even take it to shows, then original is the only way to go, and patina is important.

We have this guy locally: Raleigh - British - 3 speed touring bag (NOS)

He's selling what he calls a "Japanese NOS copy" of the original Raleigh bags for forty bucks. I would be tempted to give that a try. But if you are doing it in order to fill some time and expand your skillset, then I understand the impulse to DIY. Good luck with that, as they say...
Old 05-26-16, 10:31 AM
BigChief

I've already sacrificed some originality for function. I used a German Fleischer kickstand instead of one of the Raleigh footed alloy stands. The Raleigh stand is too tippy for me. A good breeze can blow the bike over. I also used a 22T cog in back just because the lower gearing makes riding more enjoyable for me. I'm doing this purely for fun. Besides, I don't have another project bike in the pipeline. I do like that saddle bag on the red bike though.
Old 05-26-16, 10:34 AM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Does anybody make those bags? It seems simple enough.
Old 05-26-16, 10:40 AM
Quebber

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sport, early 70s Peugeot, early 70s Schwinn Suburban, '78 Raleigh DL1, '91 Merlin Titanium Road Bike, '86 Bianchi (model not yet known)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@DQRider, by coincidence, here is another 78 DL1 without the flash:
Vintage Raleigh Tourist 3 Speed w Rod Brakes Nottingham England | eBay
Old 05-26-16, 10:48 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
There's a guy here in the Twin Cities that makes really nice seat bags for about $125. His name is Russell Bourrienne 612.709.7327 They are his own design and he does a lot of custom work. One I saw on the Lake Pepin Tour had a British flag motif built into the construction.
Old 05-26-16, 11:01 AM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can forgo instant gratification, make an eBay alert for "vintage bicycle saddlebag". NOS bags come up every once in a while, usually very reasonable.
Old 05-26-16, 11:09 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I've already sacrificed some originality for function. I used a German Fleischer kickstand instead of one of the Raleigh footed alloy stands. The Raleigh stand is too tippy for me. A good breeze can blow the bike over. I also used a 22T cog in back just because the lower gearing makes riding more enjoyable for me. I'm doing this purely for fun. Besides, I don't have another project bike in the pipeline. I do like that saddle bag on the red bike though.
Do you mean a Swiss Pletscher kickstand?
Old 05-26-16, 11:39 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Do you mean a Swiss Pletscher kickstand?
No, it's Fleischer. Made in W.Germany. There's also a logo with the letters ESGE. These are my favorite stands for 3 speeds.
Old 05-26-16, 12:01 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts

Following your bag strap renew with interest. I have one with quickly deteriorating straps.

one seriously nice bike BTW!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 05-26-16, 12:41 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by Quebber
Ah yes, there we go. If mine had looked like that when I bought it, I would have gone the preservation route as well. That is just a nice, honest, well looked-after bike. Of course, I wouldn't have gotten mine for $35 if it looked like that. As I may have said here before, mine was quite a bit worse for wear, but from neglect instead of use. It sat outside as yard art for much, if not most, of its life. It deserved a spiffy new set of fenders and wheels, some love from Brooks, and that pukka Carradice saddlebag. I think it was more of a rescue than a restoration.
Old 05-26-16, 12:48 PM
slowtostart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
Does anybody make those bags? It seems simple enough.
Here's a place to start:
A DIY Longflap Saddlebag for Minimalist Bike Touring - BIKEPACKING.com

And now I'm off to retrieve the Rudge!

Mans 3 speed bike made in England

Just home.

Everything is in very good condition. It even has new tires and its Britannialloy pump. The original Brooks is a raisin, but not torn. I'll search for your renewal suggestions. Frankly, it exceeded, condition wise, all expectations. Sadly, it's a bit small for my husband. Hub date is "2 63"

Last edited by slowtostart; 05-26-16 at 05:53 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-26-16, 07:26 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Damn, I'd sell my Tourist at those prices. Well maybe not but one of the Ebay listings is asking close to $1200 - double what I paid for a new bike in 1980.

Originally Posted by Quebber
Old 05-26-16, 07:43 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by slowtostart
Here's a place to start:

Just home.

Everything is in very good condition. It even has new tires and its Britannialloy pump. The original Brooks is a raisin, but not torn. I'll search for your renewal suggestions. Frankly, it exceeded, condition wise, all expectations. Sadly, it's a bit small for my husband. Hub date is "2 63"
I want a Rudge!
Old 05-26-16, 07:52 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by erileykc
Damn, I'd sell my Tourist at those prices. Well maybe not but one of the Ebay listings is asking close to $1200 - double what I paid for a new bike in 1980.
Well, that's the beauty of it: unlike cars, old English 3-speeds can go through almost infinite cycles of restore, ride, maintain, and still look as good as you want them to come sale time. I plan to ride mine until I tire of it, if that ever even happens, and then spruce it up and sell it for crazy money into a market that will only get better with time.
Old 05-26-16, 08:45 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
I have two bikes with those older, vinyl bags. They look right for a 1960s-70s bike, but a little out of place on the earlier ones. The quality is so-so. The Carradice Zipper Roll in black is my favorite bag. The Banjo Brothers Barrel is a decent budget offering, though a bit smaller.
Old 05-26-16, 08:49 PM
BigChief

Here's a place to start:

Just home.

That's a beautiful Rudge. You got a good deal too. I'm 6 foot tall and I have become accustomed to riding 21" Raleighs. I max out the stem height and adjust the seat post until I get the balance against the handlebars I like. That leaves me a bit short of leg extension, but it still works for casual riding. If you don't mind more weight on the bars, there's quite a bit of seat post to raise and even extra long seat posts. edit...There's also extra long stems that can be used.

Last edited by BigChief; 05-26-16 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 09:17 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Hope you do not blow your knees out BigChief.

I have two 23s now. One complete bike and one very nice frame and parts. I am planning to build one of them for my brother who is a little over 6 foot tall and has a rails to trails right behind his house and plenty of cycling opportunities near his house. Me, I am not quite 5-11 (my aviation medical say 5-11) but I think I have shrunk. Anyways, when I get on a 23 inch frame if I dismount that top tube is too close for comfort if you ask me. I used to look for 23s and now I look for 21s and want a 19 step through. But the 23 inch bikes I have rescued will find useful homes in due time.

I have my MB3, the Dunelt and my Guerciotto all apart in the basement shop, hope the parts do not get mixed up! Could make for a Johnny Cash song---- and then the steering of my Jeep need to be replaced, so I am kinda underwater on mechanical projects. Could end up looking like this.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-26-16 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 06:22 AM
BigChief

Well, the operative words here are casual riding. I ride relatively flat landscapes and my speeds and distances are modest. Compared to a well set up road bike, efficiency , I'll guess, must be down by 50% on an upright 3 speed. There's no pull on the crank, my upper body muscles aren't doing anything besides holding me up and wind resistance is much higher. This is why I like them geared down a bit. Considering all that, an inch or two of leg extension doesn't amount to much. What I gain is the experience of riding with my upper body in the same position as I was walking. Except I'm not walking. I'm gliding through the countryside with the wind in my face taking in the surroundings. I really don't notice a big difference between my 21" and 23" or my 24" roadster as long as I take my rides nice and easy. If I want to get somewhere in a hurry or deal with hill climbing, I have a drop bar road bike for that.
Old 05-27-16, 06:54 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
@BigChief, I had good success repairing a saddlebag like that by taking it to a shoe repair shop. They made new leather strips using the old buckles and I was down the road.
Just picked up the 70's "Schwinn Approved made in England" canvas seatbag from the saddle shop where leather reinforcing patches were added to keep the dowel rod in place.
Great shop, traditional craftsmanship and worth going in just for the leather smell of the tack.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0893 (2).jpg (101.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-27-16, 08:01 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Here's a place to start:

Just home.

That's great looking Rudge! Love it when they come with the bits too. Pumps are a must for these.
Old 05-27-16, 09:00 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
That's great looking Rudge! Love it when they come with the bits too. Pumps are a must for these.
Another nice thing about this Rudge is the one bolt wrap around style brake levers like the Raleigh badged bikes always had. The other brand Raleighs usually came with levers with 2 bolt clamshell clamps. That second bolt interferes with the trigger lever and forces you to set the trigger further back on the handlebars. It also has the Raleigh style stamped fender stays which are more rigid than the plain wire stays the other brands usually got.

Last edited by BigChief; 05-27-16 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 02:01 PM
slowtostart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Many thanks for the kind (enabler) comments about the Rudge. It is mechanically sound and came with new, functional, tires and tubes.

The very neglected saddle is enjoying a Proofhide marinade in the sun. Brooks advertises an "aged" saddle. I have an authentic one. It was more elephant's rump than raisin before our start today. Now it has "texture".

The paint, chrome, and pin striping are in very good condition after a gentle wash and careful application of Meguiar's Scratch X to the frame. Wax to follow.

Sir M, that bag resembles a shaving kit bag with a flap, yes? Could it be rectangular rather than cylindrical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.