Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brooks leather and/or microfiber bar tape opinions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brooks leather and/or microfiber bar tape opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 07:16 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have Adarga tape on my touring bike. Unlike Brooks tape, it is a single piece.
nice bike!
Old 10-09-20, 11:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
The price is now $29 and dropping. 13 hours left as of now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-09-20, 12:56 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Thanks for all the nice pics. Certainly handsome! I probably won’t go leather or simulated leather from some of the comments (install pita) and also because I’m bored so to keep busy I like to throw on new wrap every few months.
Old 10-09-20, 08:37 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The Brooks leather has lasted longer, 5 years, 12,000 miles, than I expected. It gets wet a lot riding in the rain and really gets wet atop my car on trips in the pouring rain. Abrasions can be smoothed back down with neutral shoe wax. Eventually with various rewraps it loses the stickiness of the under side. I need to come up with something that holds it in place better.
Likes For MKahrl:
Old 10-09-20, 08:50 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
For me, Brooks is way too thick and difficult to wrap. For microfiber, Fizik checks all the boxes.
This.

Also the Brooks microfiber feels artificial, while Fizik is more like authentic supple leather.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 10-09-20, 10:00 PM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I have used both the Brooks microfiber and leather bar tape in the brown color. The microfiber got scraped up exposing the black material underneath the brown finish. I was able to touch it up with brown and black acrylic paint that I mixed to match the original color. I toped that with some clear nail polish and the repair is hardly noticeable. But I noticed over time that my brown Brooks seat and bar tap changed colors and no longer matched. After a couple of years I transferred the microfiber to another bike and replaced it with Brooks leather bar tape hoping it would match the seat better. The leather tape does have a couple of seams, but if you wrap it just right you can position the seems to the underside of the bar. I recently crashed and scrapped up the leather tape too. I was able to smooth the finish with a fine (600 grit) sand paper and cover it with brown shoe polish. Over time the seat and leather tape also faded at different rates and no longer matched. I took some brown shoe polish to the seat before applying Proofide. It seems to have worked pretty well and the bar tape and seat now look similar in color. I had worried that riding in the rain might damage the leather tape more than the microfiber tape, but have had no problems with either. I do apply Proofide to the leather tape every couple of months. I do not notice a big difference in the feel of the microfiber and leather tape. I usually ride with gloves, but even when I don't, the microfiber and leather feel about the same. Based on my experience I would recommend the microfiber due to the price and lack of seams.

Brooks microfiber bar tape repaired with acrylic paint.

Last edited by kocour; 10-09-20 at 10:29 PM.
Likes For kocour:
Old 10-10-20, 11:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
The Brooks leather has lasted longer, 5 years, 12,000 miles, than I expected. It gets wet a lot riding in the rain and really gets wet atop my car on trips in the pouring rain. Abrasions can be smoothed back down with neutral shoe wax. Eventually with various rewraps it loses the stickiness of the under side. I need to come up with something that holds it in place better.
A bit of rubber cement out of the brush-and-lid bottle will suffice. Just don't use too much. If you need to get it off, it will come off with persistent rubbing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.