Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why aren't road penalties higher?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why aren't road penalties higher?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 07:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
When someone makes a deliberate choice to drive in a manner that is not recommended, not advised and may be against the law... then it isn't an "accident."

Failing to remain fully engaged, while driving a car, is a deliberate choice. Few auto "accidents" are "acts of god;" more often then not, they are failures in judgement.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/newsroom/crash-not-accident

Here is the big difference... could the crash have been avoided by the driver? Not an Act of God then.

Sure, accidents do occur... such as sliding on black ice that wasn't recognizable, or hitting a deer that jumped out of the woods at the last second... these can be considered accidents, and Acts of God. Speeding, distraction, changing the radio, driving tired, failing to signal... any of those are deliberate acts by drivers.

This is not about "making up definitions of words." It IS about accepting responsibility for one's actions behind the wheel and not passing poor driving judgement off as something "unavoidable." The term "accident" as it is typically used today with regard to automobile collisions, IS actually a variation on the original definition of "accident." (IE, it was indeed a "made up" meaning.)

Accident doesn't imply act of God. It just implies lack of intent. "Reckless accident " and "criminally negligent accident" are not contradictions in terms. And the word "crash" has no moral component that "accident" lacks.

The one that really should make people mad is when a car hits a bicyclist and it's referred to as a "bike accident" or a " bike crash".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-21, 07:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The one that really should make people mad is when a car hits a bicyclist and it's referred to as a "bike accident" or a " bike crash".
A driver hits a person on a bicycle. Cars don't act on their own. But... yeah.
Old 06-05-21, 07:38 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
There's some thread drift. The simple reason why road penalties aren't higher is that as a society, we recognize (or maybe rationalize is a better term) that being able to move about by vehicle is important enough that we accept some accidents/crashes (insert your word of choice) will cause severe impacts including death. Compare to aviation: we don't assume travel in flight is as necessary, so we are OK with much tougher licensing and oversight.

Of course, we try to instill the "driving is a privilege" idea, but in practice that isn't true (and I think a case can be made that it's more of a right).

But if we really want "road penalties to be higher" we would require cyclists and peds to have licenses and throw cyclists in jail for blowing a stop sign.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 06-05-21, 07:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
A driver hits a person on a bicycle. Cars don't act on their own. But... yeah.
A driver hits me, I hit him back or shrug it off, the car hits me, not so much. The object that's hitting the cyclist is the car, not the driver. We all understand the driver is supposed to control the actions of the car, that's actually the job description.

And actually, some cars do act on their own, just not very well as of right now.
Old 06-06-21, 07:26 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Aha. That explains the problem with the statement "1) Majority of drivers are bad drivers (according to Expedia's Road Rage report of 2015)." "Are" is very different from "are thought to be [as revealed by survey results]."
Or "are thought to be based on others' opinions." For example: there are a lot of people who will blame others for their own screw-ups. (I've seen it.) They'd probably report on the survey that the other person was "a bad driver." (And, "road rage" is not synonymous with "bad driver." You can be the best driver in the world and still be fed up with other people, or screaming at them as you drive extremely skillfully and carefully down the street...) That's common psychology: I'm good at this but everyone else is bad at it. How many workplaces could you walk into where everyone you asked was the only one who actually did any work around there and everyone else just sat around on their arses lazily and never did anything?
Likes For Kat12:
Old 06-06-21, 11:34 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
In many places in the world, they attack the problem. They do this by redesigning the roads as best as they can, to make it less possible for motor vehicles to collide with non motorized road users. There are very few examples of this being done in the USA. Another way the non motorized road users are protected is its not acceptable to injure or kill non motorized road users under any circumstances. If somebody makes the excuse that I didn't see the pedestrian or bicyclist, they will suffer even more extreme consequences for there crime. You need to be conscious of the problem enough to change and this isn't going to happen in the USA.
Old 06-06-21, 11:50 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

So, it is OK to slip on black ice, but it is not OK to lose traction on wet pavement?

We don't know a lot about this accident other than the driver was deemed to be driving too fast for road conditions, but it wasn't stated whether that was greater or less than the speed limit.

Likewise, slipping on black ice may mean driving too fast for road conditions, as well as poor experience steering out of a slide (which is tricky).

Here in the West, we have dry summers, then it can be downright treacherous with the first rain.

Hydroplaning can be a problem when some vehicles hit certain types of standing water.

Bald Tires?

Was the truck loaded or empty? A load can push a truck around some and increase stopping distance, whereas the rearend of an empty truck can be downright squirrely.
Wet roads appear wet, and the choice to drive at a speed to cause slippage, or to drive on bald tires is a choice made by the driver. Black ice can easily be invisible, and the conditions may be such that the black ice only forms in certain somewhat "random" areas.

Making the choice to drive for the conditions is a good decision... but far far too many drivers make the choice to "drive at the speed limit," while ignoring the actual conditions. And far far too many drivers consider "the speed LIMIT" a mere suggestion... thus making the choice to drive in an unsafe manner.

Truck???
Old 06-06-21, 01:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
In many places in the world, they attack the problem. They do this by redesigning the roads as best as they can, to make it less possible for motor vehicles to collide with non motorized road users.
Where are these "many places"?
Old 06-06-21, 04:41 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Mostly outside the US of A... places like Copenhagen, Finland, even Paris, and Amsterdam, and Barcelona, but there are also a few scant examples in the US... such as Davis, CA... all areas where roads have been modified, or changed or redesigned to increase the safety of cyclists and encourage cycling as a means of transportation. Even my old commute route in San Diego was modified to separate cyclists from motor traffic.

Yes, it is amazing what can be done when the political will is there to make positive changes.

Old 06-06-21, 04:42 PM
Rick

Germany, Denmark, and the Netherlands. To name a few
Old 06-09-21, 09:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There are very few "accidents"!!!!! 99% of the time someone did something wrong, and probably against the law.
If it wasn't deliberate, it was an accident. You don't get to make up definitions.

In many states (perhaps most or all - I'm not an attorney) there are enhanced penalties for people who cause accidents and deaths while being careless. Short of egregious carelessness, do we really want to use criminal prosecution to punish people for accidents? What would we hope to accomplish with that? You're talking about people who screwed up -- not people who are maliciously dangerous.

A better solution would be to put more resources into driver training and testing, better monitoring of young drivers and drivers over age 65 (given the higher accident and fatality rates for both groups) and better mass-transit systems (since they are safer than individual motor vehicles). Simply locking up drivers who run over cyclists may appeal to some people's tastes for vengeance, but it won't save lives.
Old 06-09-21, 11:11 AM
Rick

You're talking about people who screwed up -- not people who are maliciously dangerous.
Yes continue protecting those people who just screwed up an call it an accident! As long as it is not a crime to create a collision by being distracted, then people will continue to go about there daily lives and not worry about running down pedestrians and bicyclists. In most places in the USA you have to prove malicious intent or they need to admit to their wrong doing so they are liable. If people new they would be in real trouble for what many of them call an accident. There would be a major reduction of collisions. Just say something stupid like I didn't see that person on the bicycle as an excuse to a judge, in the Netherlands or some other European countries. You will be made a fool and you will suffer the consequences.
Old 06-09-21, 01:17 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Yes continue protecting those people who just screwed up an call it an accident!
Depends on what the screw up is. Being distracted by cell phone usage and causing a crash is something that can be prosecuted (at least in my city), but other screw-ups probably shouldn't be. Things like this probably need to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Examples: You spill hot coffee on yourself? Your passenger gets angry and slugs you? You come around a curve and there's something in the road so a sudden swerve is necessary? I think we can't make blanket judgements, and need to know the facts of each case.
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 06-09-21, 01:42 PM
Koyote

Yes continue protecting those people who just screwed up an call it an accident! As long as it is not a crime to create a collision by being distracted, then people will continue to go about there daily lives and not worry about running down pedestrians and bicyclists.In most places in the USA you have to prove malicious intent or they need to admit to their wrong doing so they are liable. If people new they would be in real trouble for what many of them call an accident. There would be a major reduction of collisions. Just say something stupid like I didn't see that person on the bicycle as an excuse to a judge, in the Netherlands or some other European countries. You will be made a fool and you will suffer the consequences.
If you are making an assertion, you need to support it. Otherwise you are just stating your opinion and pretending that it is a fact.

There is a large amount of evidence which suggests that longer sentences (or other harsher penalties) provide little additional deterrence to crime. Source, source. What little deterrence is provided by harsher sentencing probably only applies to pre-meditated crime, not to crimes of passion - and I would guess it would have virtually no impact on crimes which occur coincidentally with carelessness or distraction. In other words, harsher penalties for careless motorists would likely save no lives.

Slightly OT: decades ago, my father and another motorist were killed in a multi-vehicle auto accident which was caused by a commercial truck driver. The trucker made a mistake which had a nasty outcome - but it was the sort of mistake that was understandable to most drivers. It certainly was to me. The trucker's employer had adequate insurance, which paid out a couple of rather large settlements, and the trucker lost his commercial license; what good would it do to throw him in jail, especially when the evidence suggests that such penalties would not reduce accident and fatality rates? Imprisoning the guy would just be meanness for its own sake, and would make the rest of his life much more difficult.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-09-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 04:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

What's some practical reasons that car, bicycle, pedestrian death law brings such light penalties?
See the bickering going on in this thread? The same thing happens at the State, Provincial and Municipal levels of government. Some politicians want to improve public safety, others deny there is a problem.
Old 06-09-21, 04:31 PM
Rick

Depends on what the screw up is
When someone is distracted by their choice to do the wrong thing and they injure, or kill another person, they should be liable in such a way that they believe it to be undesirable to do anything other than pay attention to driving while they are behind the wheel.

If you are making an assertion, you need to support it. Otherwise you are just stating your opinion and pretending that it is a fact.
Assert this!: The current penalties in most jurisdictions in the USA for injuring or killing someone with your motor vehicle don't mean squat. I could care less about studies about prison reform. These studies have a bias. Change comes by force not three hots and a cot. Depending on the situation they should be held accountable. Things like taking their vehicle and revoking their driving privilege's. Forcing them to pass an advanced driving course not the usual insufficient ones. And if they were intoxicated or intentionally violent, put them in a cage. Most of what are called accidents can be avoided. This obviously does not include instantaneous stupidity or things out of our control. When I drove truck for a motor carrier I was passing thru the chicken house and the officers had me pull off to the side and motioned for me to look at the back of my trailer. I went back and a white Camaro was under the DOT bumper almost up to it's windshield. This was during stormy weather and they surmised that this incident was out of my control. The passed out drunk Camaro driver was uninjured.
Old 06-09-21, 04:50 PM
Koyote

Assert this!: The current penalties in most jurisdictions in the USA for injuring or killing someone with your motor vehicle don't mean squat. I could care less about studies about prison reform. These studies have a bias. Change comes by force not three hots and a cot. Depending on the situation they should be held accountable. Things like taking their vehicle and revoking their driving privilege's. Forcing them to pass an advanced driving course not the usual insufficient ones. And if they were intoxicated or intentionally violent, put them in a cage. Most of what are called accidents can be avoided. This obviously does not include instantaneous stupidity or things out of our control. When I drove truck for a motor carrier I was passing thru the chicken house and the officers had me pull off to the side and motioned for me to look at the back of my trailer. I went back and a white Camaro was under the DOT bumper almost up to it's windshield. This was during stormy weather and they surmised that this incident was out of my control. The passed out drunk Camaro driver was uninjured.
Ah, you're one of those people: "if I don't like the evidence, I'll just say it's biased." I would point out all of the logical fallacies in that approach, but I suspect that I would be wasting my time.

If you are not willing to engage with actual empirical evidence, there is not much point to further discussion.
Old 06-09-21, 05:22 PM
Rick

Ah, you're one of those people: "if I don't like the evidence, I'll just say it's biased." I would point out all of the logical fallacies in that approach, but I suspect that I would be wasting my time.]
At least I am one of those people. I don't approve of fake studies done so the criminals are let loose back onto the streets. More murders thefts and now people are being beat down. That is empirical enough for me. I propose ways to improve a really bad problem and you want to make it personal. We should continue this discussion in a constructive way unless you want to cry home to mama.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-10-21 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-09-21, 05:32 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Some people suggest that the penalties for accidents should be the same or similar as those for intentional crime.

I believe the penalties for unintentional accidents should be much lighter than those for intentional crime.

You may be involved in an accident in the future. If the penalties are tough, you get the tough penalty. Would you want that if it was an unintentional accident.
Old 06-09-21, 05:45 PM
Rick

Some people suggest that the penalties for accidents should be the same or similar as those for intentional crime.
I believe the penalties for unintentional accidents should be much lighter than those for intentional crime.

You may be involved in an accident in the future. If the penalties are tough, you get the tough penalty. Would you want that if it was an unintentional accident./QUOTE]

I don't believe in the catch all term accidents. There are things that are in our control and things that are out of our control.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-10-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-09-21, 05:47 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
When a motorist mows one of us down, police officers rarely check the mower downer for substance abuse nor do they routinely check if they mower downer was on their phone because it was just an accident.
Old 06-10-21, 06:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
When a motorist mows one of us down, police officers rarely check the mower downer for substance abuse nor do they routinely check if they mower downer was on their phone because it was just an accident.
You have any evidence for that assertion?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-21, 06:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yes continue protecting those people who just screwed up an call it an accident! As long as it is not a crime to create a collision by being distracted, then people will continue to go about there daily lives and not worry about running down pedestrians and bicyclists. In most places in the USA you have to prove malicious intent or they need to admit to their wrong doing so they are liable. If people new they would be in real trouble for what many of them call an accident. There would be a major reduction of collisions. Just say something stupid like I didn't see that person on the bicycle as an excuse to a judge, in the Netherlands or some other European countries. You will be made a fool and you will suffer the consequences.

I'm a lawyer and it's incredibly obvious you have no familiarity with the laws regarding criminal negligence and recklessness. Almost nothing you say in that post is correct, and if you're under the impression that the US is LESS criminally punitive than other comparable countries, you are sorely mistaken.

Malicious intent would be required to prove assault or malice murder (this kind of homicide is called different things in different states). There's all sorts of felony traffic offenses and homicides that don't require anywhere near malicious intent. The reason I said I wasn't going to play with the OP in this thread is because it assumed that penalties in the US are low which is begging the question. Low compared to what? What would be accomplished by raising them? How much should they be raised?

There's plenty of law on the books, if the problem is that police don't properly investigate or juries won't convict, your raised penalties won't get imposed anyway. Now if you want to have a real discussion of the issue, stop accusing people of trying to protect murderers. It just makes you sound stupid because obviously no one is trying to do that. The goal is to reduce or eliminate cyclist hit by motor death and injuries. Criminal penalties may play some role in that, but I don't think they're anywhere near the heart of the cause of the problem, nor would play much of a role in the solution.
Or you could just continue to stupidly insult people and end up talking to yourself. I'm good either way.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-21, 06:57 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You have any evidence for that assertion?
This is the USA circa 2021. Facts don't matter.
Old 06-10-21, 07:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Daniel4
See the bickering going on in this thread? The same thing happens at the State, Provincial and Municipal levels of government. Some politicians want to improve public safety, others deny there is a problem.

And others just think throwing more people in jail will solve all problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.