Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Music Status?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 12:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Funny I just discovered this online a couple days ago:
this
Weird Al at 2:44
rad haha! I'll have to check this out when I get home.
Old 10-03-18, 04:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Been trippin' out on the Polonaises recently (woah man...). Opus 40 No. 1 in A major is triumphant, a real banger. Maybe I'll find some sheet music for it:

Old 10-09-18, 12:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

The "heroic" polonaise Op. 53 in A-flat major. When this one comes on in the club, **** gets poppin'!!!!

Old 10-14-18, 08:44 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
I love and play Chopin. I play the Military Polonaise and I have dabbled with the Heroic. The Military is totally playable versus the Heroic which is technically much more difficult but has a very cool part in the center that features very fast octaves played with the left hand on three notes for several bars while the right hand plays the melody providing the illusion that this could only be done by two pianists. And it features many strummed cords spanned by 10 to 12 white keys played with each hand which are hard to execute accurately. All that makes the Heroic a master work and technically challenging.

If you like Chopin and want to play it, I also suggest the Nocture in A flat major which is in sharp contrast to the Polonaises. It is total romance and your sig other will love it. Here is Lola and Hauser playing it as a piano cello duet. If you hate the piece you can check out Lola. She is Russian and has played for you know who at the Whitehouse.

And there there is the Chopin Waltz. Going back to old white guys, here is vintage film of Rubinstein playing my fav Chopin Waltz Op 64 No 2. Rubinstein is a master of the rubato or varying the speed of the piece to create a dreamy illusion.

Old 10-14-18, 07:26 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Since classical came up.. Been watching this guy on youtube who plays some pretty incredible pieces with cool visuals.

Old 10-14-18, 09:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@Hermes I'm very familiar with the waltz and nocturne's that you posted - both very famous pieces. As far as the SO goes, she has a preference for Nocturne no. 19 op. 72, so between that and Debussy's Arabesque No. 1, my queue is a bit full at the moment.

Your description of the heroic polonaise is succinct - I know the exact section that you are talking about with the fast octaves in the left-hand with minimal right-hand melody. It's very cerebral and attention-getting; I can think of a specific moment recently when we were hanging on the couch with the Polnaises playing and the lady took note of that exact part.

As for me I'm primarily a jazz pianist - although there are a small handful of waltz, prelude and mazurka pieces that I can play. The EZ ones .

Lastly, cool Liszt vid. @Ttoc6, checking it out atm. If I recall correctly, @Hermes you mentioned that you can play Liszt's Liebestraum, which is a huge achievement.

Someday I'll find the time and discipline to be able to play all of this classical that I hold so dear - if only stupid work and bikes didn't get in the way all the time .
Old 10-14-18, 09:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

@Ttoc6 your video reminds me of another Youtube user, pianist and graphic designer. Here is his performance (and visualization) of the aforementioned Arabesque 1:

Old 10-15-18, 09:22 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I have dabbled with Libestraum but never learned the entire piece.

I was totally inspired by Andre Watts. I purchased his album playing Liszt's 6 Grande Etudes of Niccolò Paganini and liked La Chasse and La Campanella. I listened to them endlessly.

Paganini was an Italian violinist who composed the 24 violin caprices of Paganini which are some of the most difficult but magnificent violin pieces ever written. And Paganini could play them perfectly. Liszt was inspired by Paganini and wrote the 6 Grande Etudes of Paganini for piano which were very close copies of 6 violin caprices. They were so difficult that only Liszt could play them on the piano and he was criticized by his contemporaries so he revised them to the form that we have today.

I show up at my teachers studio with the music for La Chasse with the fingering figured out and the intonation and how it is supposed to sound memorized. My teacher says, well, your fingering is completely wrong. Liszt would have played portions of this piece cross handed to make it harder and more showy for the audience. She redid the fingering and showed me how it was played. Also, she said that if I wanted to play Paganini, I would have to break the piece down and practice each phrase over and over again day after day for months. She said that is what Paganini did and it is what everyone has to do to play him.

It took me six months to learn and perfect La Chasse and perform it at a recital. Here is Andre Watts playing La Chasse and then Variations on Theme. Watts facial expressions are always colorful but his execution, interpretation and dynamic range are beyond reproach. I think Watts would give Liszt a run for his money.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-15-18 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 12:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Fantastic - can't wait to give that a listen a little later
Old 10-15-18, 02:47 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by TMonk
Fantastic - can't wait to give that a listen a little later
Also...check this out https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/sta...nov1_notes.pdf My wife and I have tickets for Friday night. It should be a great concert.
Old 10-15-18, 04:03 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Looks like a good program, unfortunately we will be in Austin Tx. We do make it out to Copley hall every few months for something like this. Last time it opened with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which was just a knock out live. Finished with Rachmaninoff Concerto 1 or 2, forget which one.
Old 10-15-18, 07:50 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Hermes
I have dabbled with Libestraum but never learned the entire piece.

I was totally inspired by Andre Watts. I purchased his album playing Liszt's 6 Grande Etudes of Niccolò Paganini and liked La Chasse and La Campanella. I listened to them endlessly.

Paganini was an Italian violinist who composed the 24 violin caprices of Paganini which are some of the most difficult but magnificent violin pieces ever written. And Paganini could play them perfectly. Liszt was inspired by Paganini and wrote the 6 Grande Etudes of Paganini for piano which were very close copies of 6 violin caprices. They were so difficult that only Liszt could play them on the piano and he was criticized by his contemporaries so he revised them to the form that we have today.

I show up at my teachers studio with the music for La Chasse with the fingering figured out and the intonation and how it is supposed to sound memorized. My teacher says, well, your fingering is completely wrong. Liszt would have played portions of this piece cross handed to make it harder and more showy for the audience. She redid the fingering and showed me how it was played. Also, she said that if I wanted to play Paganini, I would have to break the piece down and practice each phrase over and over again day after day for months. She said that is what Paganini did and it is what everyone has to do to play him.

It took me six months to learn and perfect La Chasse and perform it at a recital. Here is Andre Watts playing La Chasse and then Variations on Theme. Watts facial expressions are always colorful but his execution, interpretation and dynamic range are beyond reproach. I think Watts would give Liszt a run for his money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT86YWJm-IA
You've given me even more appreciation for classical music here. I was not raised playing music (and have not pursued it as an adult) but appreciate it for the sound and not much more. This piece is awesome. Really.. jumpy and dissonant (I think that is the word). The performer really gives it some flair. I'm impressed you can play a piece like this. It seems beyond impossible to me to memorize that many notes and then to have the technical ability to perform them.. woof.

Last time it opened with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which was just a knock out live.
Funnily enough.. Adagio for string by Tiesto is a big credit for why I enjoy dance music so much. I didn't know it was a classical piece until way after I knew it as the intro to a dance track.
Old 10-15-18, 08:16 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

We saw Tiesto at Omnia in downtown San Diego a few years back. He put on a good show.
Old 10-16-18, 06:39 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I'd like to see him. He has a residency in vegas that i could always go to.
Old 12-27-18, 05:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

More Robert Glasper. This head makes for a nice little earworm:

Old 01-03-19, 11:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

another cute little earworm, same format. this one has sentimental value b/c I used to enjoy the children's books when I was younger. dig the drum work here:

Old 01-10-19, 09:14 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

mellow groove here

Old 01-11-19, 10:09 AM
BlondeBikerBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like a good playlist of classic rock to keep me moving while not being bored during a fun interval session.
Old 01-14-19, 01:36 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@TMonk New piano. Back into playing. Breaking off a lot of rust and reconnecting neurology. Relearning Gershwin Prelude #2, Debussy Claire de Lune and Satie Gnossienne #1 and Beethoven Moonlight Sonata. Let the piano intervals begin.

I may have told you about Satie before but great music and totally playable and very dreamy stuff.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-14-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 02:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I am familiar with Satie, agreed that it is playable and very pleasant. I have the sheet music for Gnossienne #1 and need to dust it off myself. I'm more fond of the Gymnopedie No. 1, was just practicing it the other night actually. I love the F-natural in the left hand chord when it tranistions to minor key (see below). So dramatic! I really emphasize it with some added volume before dropping down to a light piano in subsequent measures:

Last edited by TMonk; 01-14-19 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 02:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

also nice piano! I purchased a cheap 48" Hallet + Davis upright when I moved into my new apt about 18 months ago. It does the trick but I consider it a starter piano. Once we have a home and family I would like to own a Kawai baby grand. There are several in my extended family and I love them all.
Old 01-16-19, 09:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Check out this piece. I suspect you are familiar with it. Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies are some of my favs.

How about a team event on Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 for piano four hands? Do you think we can knock these guys off the podium? All of a sudden a two man team time trial on Fiesta looks easy.

Old 01-16-19, 07:18 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Check out this piece. I suspect you are familiar with it. Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies are some of my favs.

How about a team event on Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 for piano four hands? Do you think we can knock these guys off the podium? All of a sudden a two man team time trial on Fiesta looks easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FByy...1Kjii4&index=1
Is that playable by one person?
Old 01-16-19, 10:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Is that playable by one person?
Yes. It was written for one piano two hands. IMO, Poon’s execution of number 2 is the best I have heard. She takes my breath away. Even better than Horowitz. Watch her left hand work. It is totally sick. Listz is the best.

Last edited by Hermes; 01-16-19 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:54 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

also nice piano! I purchased a cheap 48" Hallet + Davis upright when I moved into my new apt about 18 months ago. It does the trick but I consider it a starter piano. Once we have a home and family I would like to own a Kawai baby grand. There are several in my extended family and I love them all.
Kawai’s are very nice. I wanted a new piano and preferably a Steinway. I used to have a Steinway console. I have been looking at pianos for some time but the new Steinway’s price makes my nose bleed. I have seen the Yamaha and Steinway at Costco on Marina as special events. I got an invitation from the SD Opera for a special show where they were selling their Yamaha’s that they use in the practice areas and events. These turned out to be larger grand pianos that would not fit in my house.

I go to he show and I see a used Steinway baby grand but they want too much dough for it. I made them a bonefide offer but they declined. They decided to put a new Yamaha into the Opera’s sale event. After a little negotiation, we had a deal. I feel like I stole the piano based upon the price but hey, they are big boys. I am totally stoked. Sometimes we need a catalyst to light a fire. It’s all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.