Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 07:45 PM
ntdt

Bikes: Robin Hood 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post. I've recently got a very rusty 3 speed bike. I plan to clean, repaint the frame, fenders. The hub is Sturmey-Archer with date 58 2. The bike is a Majestic Meteor from Montreal. Do you have any information about this mark? Where can I start to bring it back to ride able state. I'd like to do it as a gift for my wife.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0243.jpg (99.6 KB, 132 views)
DSC_0244.jpg (82.4 KB, 124 views)
DSC_0245.jpg (88.6 KB, 119 views)
DSC_0250.jpg (92.7 KB, 126 views)
DSC_0257.jpg (96.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 05-01-13, 08:01 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 876 Times in 334 Posts
Looks to me like a BCC Birmingham produced core and chainguard.
Old 05-01-13, 08:08 PM
_dylan

Bikes: 1964 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This forum always makes me super envious.... Raleigh, oh Raleigh--wherefore art thou, Raleigh gods?
Old 05-02-13, 05:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ntdt
Hi all,

This is my first post. I've recently got a very rusty 3 speed bike. I plan to clean, repaint the frame, fenders. The hub is Sturmey-Archer with date 58 2. The bike is a Majestic Meteor from Montreal. Do you have any information about this mark? Where can I start to bring it back to ride able state. I'd like to do it as a gift for my wife.
That is interesting! Nice find, good luck with the cleanup/restoration. I have not seen that brand before. But it looks like a good solid 3 speed.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-02-13, 11:05 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Looks to me like a BCC Birmingham produced core and chainguard.
I definitely think you're on the right track there SirMike. I have been researching the RAYNAL brand and from what I've determined so far - which I believe has a 99% chance of being correct - is that RAYNAL was a BCC brand in 1955 or '56 - when "UGLY BETTY" was built.

I had begun parting out UGLY BETTY but decided to keep her instead - she literally screams "patina" and I could tell when I got her on the stand and spun the crank and wheels that somebody had loved her very much... More on that in a bit...

Note the angle of the top tube coming out of the seat tube; just like the Majestic at 4378:

Attached Images
UGLY BETTY.jpg (105.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 05-02-13, 11:09 AM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher

Finally fixed my folding bike back up to shiny... I can't bring myself to upgrade it and it's just a bit too small for me to ride comfortably. Put a new chain and a bigger cog on, as well as new pads, cables and housing for the brakes. The shifter cable looks a little rough but it shifts fine so I'm gonna leave it alone. I'd love to get a frame or a beat up 20 to rebuild with modern parts but I couldn't bring myself to "upgrade" this one since it still works fine... gotta thin the herd a bit before I start up more projects though.
Clasher I have been wanting very much to pick one of these up. Wish you weren't so far up there because I'd sure take this one off your hands if not. I definitely NEVER see these around here.
Old 05-02-13, 04:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
Palmetto, maybe you'll find a reason to visit this region. I'll be living in NYC soon, and I could give you a great tour of Manhattan by bike. And while you're here, maybe you can talk me into selling you my Twenty. I'm souping it up, and when I'm done, there's a good chance I'll want to ditch it. It's getting a drum brake front hub, racing tires, and alloy rims. I might even put drop bars on it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-02-13, 06:10 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
As far as the cog, that's a 24t. I bought a dozen from an eBay seller in Germany. Where I live we have hills and I'd not be able to get up any of them without pushing were it not for that cog. When I first got the bike I replaced the chain, and put a 22t cog on at that time, so I did not need to add any length to the chain. Typically if you're going from the normally installed cogs (18 or 19 ime), you'd need to replace the chain or add links to the existing chain.
Uh pg, second time you've mentioned that lot of 24T hubs you bought from the German. Do you perhaps have a link for same?

And BTW, I am diligently but enjoyably reading thru this thread and if you provided said link at a later post than 2902 please accept my apology for troubling you with my question.
Old 05-02-13, 06:37 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Palmetto, maybe you'll find a reason to visit this region. I'll be living in NYC soon, and I could give you a great tour of Manhattan by bike. And while you're here, maybe you can talk me into selling you my Twenty. I'm souping it up, and when I'm done, there's a good chance I'll want to ditch it. It's getting a drum brake front hub, racing tires, and alloy rims. I might even put drop bars on it.
Man what's the deal with living in the city?

My French son-in-law's good buddy lives there, working for some bank, and I understand he lives in a closet for the same price that most people spend for a real pad....
Old 05-02-13, 06:41 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by PalmettoUpstate
Uh pg, second time you've mentioned that lot of 24T hubs you bought from the German. Do you perhaps have a link for same?

And BTW, I am diligently but enjoyably reading thru this thread and if you provided said link at a later post than 2902 please accept my apology for troubling you with my question.
BikeSmith Design has them up to 26T....just sayin'

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-02-13, 09:05 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
BikeSmith Design has them up to 26T....just sayin'

Aaron
Yeah, they have a number of grades and sizes.

I'd definitely have to see a major cost savings not to use them. You going to that Swap & Show in Eden, NC by chance? Looks like it is replete with stuff I'm not intere
Old 05-02-13, 09:06 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like it is replete with stuff I'm not interested in but you may have a different insight...

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/3760680301.html
Old 05-03-13, 04:36 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Yeah, they have a number of grades and sizes.

I'd definitely have to see a major cost savings not to use them. You going to that Swap & Show in Eden, NC by chance? Looks like it is replete with stuff I'm not intere
I have another event planned for that Saturday, I wasn't even aware of that show.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-03-13, 11:34 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
We have a date confirmed for this year's Toronto Vintage Bicycle Show. Sunday July 28th at Trinity Bellwoods Park on Queen West. More details to follow.
Attached Images
Old 05-03-13, 12:19 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyone care to explain where these stand in the English 3-speed firmament?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-VINTAGE-PA...p2047675.l2557

Attached Images
Block Pedals4.JPG (40.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-03-13, 01:35 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
First popularized on Raleigh Choppers (late 60's?), then often found on a number of second tier and rebranded 3 speed and single speed models in the early 70's. They came in white too.
Old 05-03-13, 02:53 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
They are awful pedals too, IMO....no bearings in them at all, no way to service them. I took one set apart, searched the world for a clip to hold them together again, and they only lasted a little longer.....I love the look though!
Old 05-03-13, 06:42 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Went on a wonderful ride this afternoon, taking the Springwater corridor from Portland to Sellwood where I wandered about in the many antique shops and found an antique Mora knife, enjoyed some delicious Chai, and received quite a few compliments from people on the old girl who will soon be 60.

I did not think I was moving all that fast but sure passed a lot of folks in Spandex who were riding modern bicycles but then, I also got passed by a young lady riding an old ten speed... who was riding no handed... while she was texting.

Old 05-03-13, 08:12 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Went on a wonderful ride this afternoon, taking the Springwater corridor from Portland to Sellwood where I wandered about in the many antique shops and found an antique Mora knife, enjoyed some delicious Chai, and received quite a few compliments from people on the old girl who will soon be 60.

I did not think I was moving all that fast but sure passed a lot of folks in Spandex who were riding modern bicycles but then, I also got passed by a young lady riding an old ten speed... who was riding no handed... while she was texting.

She looked like Angelina Jolie in spandex too, right? ;v)
Old 05-03-13, 08:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

She looked like Angelina Jolie in spandex too, right? ;v)
She had a bunch of nice tattoos and was riding in casual clothes...
Old 05-03-13, 08:28 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
She had a bunch of nice tattoos and was riding in casual clothes...
Inspired by Sigourney no doubt....

Jeez... I'm not much into tattoos but I'd never say never to the right mix of specs....

Hey, getting back to the business at hand... you had some rather erudite things to say about Shimano hubs at 2891. You know, when it comes to excellence or inferiority, Idon't have a dog in the fight... Put succinctly, are the Shimano 3-speed hubs, ubiquitous in Asia as we know, the equal, lesser, or better than SA? [on balance I mean]
Old 05-04-13, 02:06 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I am not running any Shimano 3 speed hubs at this time... not that there is anything is wrong with them but that I have no shortage of nice Sturmey Archer three speed hubs and because these have been serving me well for such a long time.

The early "333" hubs work well but are not serviceable, the latter models are pretty solid and don't seem to generate many complaints.
Old 05-04-13, 05:31 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Shimano hubs are hard to source parts for, older SA no problem for the AW, some of the other A* or F hubs can be a challenge.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-04-13, 10:07 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I am not running any Shimano 3 speed hubs at this time... not that there is anything is wrong with them but that I have no shortage of nice Sturmey Archer three speed hubs and because these have been serving me well for such a long time.

The early "333" hubs work well but are not serviceable, the latter models are pretty solid and don't seem to generate many complaints.
Back when I was serving my apprenticeship at A.R. Adams Cycle, the boss taught me that the Shimano hub was superior to the Sturmey-Archer. Both seemed to work fine, but I remember the Shimano was easier and faster to field strip.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 05-04-13, 06:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
Man what's the deal with living in the city?

My French son-in-law's good buddy lives there, working for some bank, and I understand he lives in a closet for the same price that most people spend for a real pad....
Different folks for different strokes, or something like that.

I grew up in Manhattan and am returning to my roots, now that I'm done spawning. My kids are on the west coast. We have a 1,400 square foot historic loft in Greenwich Village, where an episode of Law and Order was shot. We also have a place in the country, in a gorgeous part of New York State. And oddly enough, our living expenses will go down quite a bit by making this move. Plus, I stand to make more money.

Our current house is about 3,000 square feet, a Victorian house built in 1888. Our plot is a mere 62x100 feet, and the property taxes are $16,000 per year and rising fast. G'bye suburbia!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.