Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Forum insider jokes and jargon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Forum insider jokes and jargon

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 09:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i've only seen this term come up in discussion recently here on BF, so maybe it's not exclusive to BF or the bike world of jargon in general, however....."bob's your uncle!"...meaning, from what i understand, "that answers/fixes that"

oh, and two terms being more familiar (if they're relevant?)
1) "masher/mashing" = one with or the tendency to cycle using the highest gears possible
2) "spinner/spinning" = one with or the tendency to cycle using lower gears and higher cadence
In my region, during the early 1970s bicycle boom, we had other terms, that were derived from how smoothly a cyclist pedaled. Someone with a smooth, seemingly effortless style was said to be "dancing on the pedals". This was widespread but locally, if these "dancers" were exceptionally smooth they'd be called an "Astaire" or "Nureyev". Those with a smooth stroke but notable upper body movement, were typically called "bobbers". Cyclists who primarily pushed on pedals were called "stompers" or "Stomping Toms", after the then popular Canadian folk singer, Stompin' Tom Connors.

Similarly, we had terms based on a cyclist's ability to shift gears. Shifts that were poorly executed, emitting distressful drivetrain noises, were called "grinding coffee" and cyclists with consistently poor shifting became known as "coffee grinders". A common lament in pacelines was riding behind a "coffee grinder" who didn't trim his derailleur after an over-shift. This terminology was pretty widespread in my experience but more local was using "instant coffee" to describe a shift that was particularly well executed in a difficult situations. When indexed shifting arrived, there was a local idiom used by some of the friction shifting crowd that derogatively referred to index users as "decafs".

People who braked suddenly and heavily were known as "brake testers". This term seemed widespread.

Another term that I've never heard outside of my region is "Tubasti party", named after the popular tubular tyre glue. Every spring, all the tubular riders would get together in somebody's basement to clean last season's glue off the rims, apply a couple of layers of new glue and install tyres. Other activities included mending old flats, trading stories, playing music loudly and beverage consumption. A good time was had by all, aided by a person's beverage of choice and the pervasive Tubasti fumes.

Another phrase, which seems to have been used only at my LBS, was DAS ( Derailleur Anxiety Syndrome), pronounced dee-ay-ess. When the early 1970s bicycle boom exploded, there were a lot of people who who wanted to participate but were intimidated by what they perceived to be a complex derailleur system. We said they were afflicted with DAS. The middle aged DAS sufferers tended to buy 3 speeds with internally geared hubs. However, the younger ones, not wanting to stand out from the "in crowd" bought a derailleur equipped bicycle but rarely, if ever, shifted it out of the gear in which it left the shop. It was an epidemic that was only cured with the arrival SIS. Up until around the turn of this century, about every other entry level bicycle that I worked on had been owned by a person with DAS. You could tell on the first test ride, because the used chain only meshed properly with the one used gear. If you installed a new chain, it would work perfectly in every gear except the used one.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-13-21, 09:36 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked 2,648 Times in 1,245 Posts
DAS...I get a lot of new riders out and that about describes getting someone to use the front derailleur.
Old 05-13-21, 04:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Mudsucker - Early mtn bike

Fred - most of us...once
Old 05-13-21, 05:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Fred - most of us...once
I dream of being a Fred one day. Right now, I don't have the fitness for it.